Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Whatever I want it to be I guess. Note I haven't tried it in the last couple beta branch versions of Stellaris, just the first post-Tileocide Beta branch patch. Should still work though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

DatonKallandor posted:

I'm using a mod that gives everyone the basic rare resource extraction techs from the start, but artifically making them still has to be researched. It helps a lot in smoothing out early and the AI seems to appreciate it too.

That's a good idea, and really easy to do.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

So is the enigmatic fortress just kinda trash now? Niether the decoder or encoder are all that good, the only thing I ever wanted was the power reactor.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

So is the enigmatic fortress just kinda trash now? Niether the decoder or encoder are all that good, the only thing I ever wanted was the power reactor.

The decoder is nice for defense stations, but I'm not sure it's better than a self repair module. You do get a nice pile of stored research, but by the time you're dealing with the fortress you're probably only getting 2-4 months worth of double research out of it.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Jabarto posted:

Negative leader traits need to be removed completely, or at least be far less common. It's almost impossible to get a leader over level 5 or 6 without him getting addicted to drugs or slowing/halting his experience gain, to the point that I've given up on leader-centric builds altogether.

So it's too realistic, you're saying

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM
Here's my question: When I'm playing as robots, why do I have to pick from some random pool of possible leaders? They're robots, I should be able to just build one with the exact traits I want, possibly at a higher price.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

ZypherIM posted:

What do you find broken? Just listing that as a generic problem doesn't do much to help us identify issues and suggest solutions.

I would like to know the answer to this question as well. As a week-old player I don't really know any better but the game seems good and quite addictive to me.

What are tiles BTW? An older iteration of planetary management?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

QuarkJets posted:

I would like to know the answer to this question as well. As a week-old player I don't really know any better but the game seems good and quite addictive to me.

Planets used to look like this:

and were limited to 1 pop per size of planet, max of 25

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010
I'm in the mid-game of my first post-LeGuin run and the game is great. It took some time to get a handle of the economy but everything is much more lively now. The only thing that bothers me is having to wait until pop 10 to get the planets nice and running, its a weird slow-down when growth is already limited by how many pops you have

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Grouchio posted:

Can you still turn enemy nations into tributaries with the Inward Perfection civic?

How do you expand and pacify enemies?

you have to drop Inward Perfection which is only possible by dropping the pacifist ethic

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

QuarkJets posted:

So it's too realistic, you're saying

Arrested development should be removed because it’s just annoying and feels bad.

Maybe change it to be minus 2 max rank or something.

Zig-Zag
Aug 29, 2007

Why don't we just start shooting tar heroin instead?
I'm definitely coming to pick up most of the dlc in the sale. Is megacorp worth full price?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

QuarkJets posted:

Oh my sweet summer child

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

ZypherIM posted:

What do you find broken? Just listing that as a generic problem doesn't do much to help us identify issues and suggest solutions.

So much stuff.
Bear in mind i'm returning to stellaris from playing not long after release and this is based off two games in the 2/4 beta. All the DLC except Megacorps.

-AI and any warfighting. It's literally unable to do it. I've had entire wars with 'superior+' enemies I didnt even notice we were at war because they were so incredibly worthless. I'm not joking about the not noticing, once I actually didnt realise I was at war with an on-paper superior foe for about 20yrs.
-Lategame L-Gate. Almost totally harmless. L-gate invasions gets stuck bombarding any populated planet for basically forever.
-Lategame II. The Khan just boringly stalls out after a dozen or so systems and half assedly sends 10-12k fleets to oblivion. Also incredibly boring to defeat. Why yea I would love to have to split off some ramdom ships tp garrison every single goddamn system so an unlimited amount of construction ships doesnt sneak around and build poo poo in my backyard.
-Machine empires. Strictly worse than normal empires? Am I missing something here? They seem crap.
-Trade and pirates. Yes I would love some more, largely worthless, micro why the hell not. At the bare minimum PLEASE allow something like setting ships to be on 'piracy patrol' or similar which is empire wide.
-Starbase power calcs are totally borked. Usually actual combat value is arounfd 1/10th of the listing. They're big HP sacks which are useless because in combat they're rightfully treated as last priority to shoot at.
-Sector AI. Sucks. I could go on forever but if this is whats supposed to be building stuff for the AI no wonder it can't ever pull an empire together. Even given the most lavish resources it just, occasioally, builds things. Usually nothing sensible or anything thats needed.
-Sectors, what the hell divvy's them up? Should I really have to have 95% of my leaders be governors because every goddamn planet is its own sector.
-God I could go on forever with this but instead i'm going to bed.

Saros fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Feb 3, 2019

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
Sector sizing is still not great. In the latest beta, my empire has 63 planets. How many sectors: 30, for an average of just over 2 planets per sector. This is using default game settings across the board and colonizing every planet (sufficient mix of species to cover all world types).

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

Saros posted:

-Starbase power calcs are totally borked. Usually actual combat value is arounfd 1/10th of the listing. They're big HP sacks which are useless because in combat they're rightfully treated as last priority to shoot at.

Really? I can always rely on a starbase to repel at least its fleet power in enemy units. They absolutely crumple if the enemy brings much more than that, but they're usually at least enough of a speedbump to get responses to them going.

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.
Starbases basically don't do as well as you'd expect in a combined fleet and starbase engagement. If you have 1k of fleet and 1k of starbase against 1.5k of fleet you'll probably win but also take a lot more damage to your fleet than if you'd just had a 2k fleet. Best way I've found to use starbases is to keep your fleet behind the starbase and only send it in when the starbase is at ~50% health.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I don't understand sectors either. I have an extreme example where 3 planets are each in an adjacent system creating a little triangle, and each one is in its own sector. They must be predefined based on how the map was generated, but they're only accounting for system layout I guess. It's too bad that these aren't generated on the fly (which they totally can be, blobbing algorithms are a common-enough thing).

But Starbase power is approximately fine, and it's easy enough to set a group or two of corvettes to patrol through your trade routes. I've had a 5k starbase go up against a 5k fleet and just barely win. I've also gone up against a 2k starbase with a 2k fleet and completely trounced it but I think my ship composition was just well-suited for doing that

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Feb 3, 2019

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

QuarkJets posted:

I don't understand sectors either. I have an extreme example where 3 planets are each in an adjacent system creating a little triangle, and each one is in its own sector. They must be predefined based on how the map was generated, but they're only accounting for system layout I guess. It's too bad that these can't be generated on the fly (which they totally can be, blobbing algorithms are a common-enough thing).
I dunno if you are on the beta patch or not but sectors are not pre-defined. Each sector is every planet within three jumps of the sector capital. Your homeworld starts off as a sector capital, so every planet within 3 jumps of there ends up in that sector. Each planet outside of that 3 system range that you colonize will become a new sector capital. So depending on how these sector capitals fall, you can get your example.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I dunno if you are on the beta patch or not but sectors are not pre-defined. Each sector is every planet within three jumps of the sector capital. Your homeworld starts off as a sector capital, so every planet within 3 jumps of there ends up in that sector. Each planet outside of that 3 system range that you colonize will become a new sector capital. So depending on how these sector capitals fall, you can get your example.

Note that you need to have the connecting systems claimed at the time of colonizing to have it not build a new sector. I've had cases where I hadn't claimed internal systems yet, and thus the distance around that missing chunk was larger than 3 jumps and it made a new sector.

Saros posted:

So much stuff.
Bear in mind i'm returning to stellaris from playing not long after release and this is based off two games in the 2/4 beta. All the DLC except Megacorps.

-AI and any warfighting. It's literally unable to do it. I've had entire wars with 'superior+' enemies I didnt even notice we were at war because they were so incredibly worthless. I'm not joking about the not noticing, once I actually didnt realise I was at war with an on-paper superior foe for about 20yrs.
-Lategame L-Gate. Almost totally harmless. L-gate invasions gets stuck bombarding any populated planet for basically forever.
-Lategame II. The Khan just boringly stalls out after a dozen or so systems and half assedly sends 10-12k fleets to oblivion. Also incredibly boring to defeat. Why yea I would love to have to split off some ramdom ships tp garrison every single goddamn system so an unlimited amount of construction ships doesnt sneak around and build poo poo in my backyard.
-Machine empires. Strictly worse than normal empires? Am I missing something here? They seem crap.
-Trade and pirates. Yes I would love some more, largely worthless, micro why the hell not. At the bare minimum PLEASE allow something like setting ships to be on 'piracy patrol' or similar which is empire wide.
-Sector AI. Sucks. I could go on forever but if this is whats supposed to be building stuff for the AI no wonder it can't ever pull an empire together. Even given the most lavish resources it just, occasioally, builds things. Usually nothing sensible or anything thats needed.
-Sectors, what the hell divvy's them up? Should I really have to have 95% of my leaders be governors because every goddamn planet is its own sector.
-God I could go on forever with this but instead i'm going to bed.

If the AI isn't attacking, it is because it doesn't have enough of an edge when it looks at the fight it'll have to take. What difficulty/aggressiveness are you on? The AI does fall behind later in the game though.

L-Gates have a variety of outcomes, and are more of a mid-game event to be honest. Similar with the khan. Interesting that you find them boring/easy to beat, most people's approach is to just capitulate unless they've built up specifically for them.

Machine empires are weaker than normal based mostly on some econ fiddly stuff. They were nerfed a little too hard right before 2.2, because they were like twice as good as normal empires. The devs have acknowledged this in a couple places.

Piracy patrol isn't empire wide, but you can change where your trade routes and stuff flow, and then have a single fleet cover that. Eventually when you get gates you can bypass piracy entirely. Yea it could be fleshed out some more though.

I haven't honestly messed with sector AI a ton so not sure where it all stands overall. Sectors grab an amount of space spreading from a colonized planet (2 jumps in 2.2, beta is 3 jumps). So depending on how you colonize you can end up with a lot of them.

Most of this isn't "broken" per say, but just not as much stuff as you want? That and it sounds like you're eclipsing the AI on whatever settings you're on.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

ZypherIM posted:

Machine empires are weaker than normal based mostly on some econ fiddly stuff. They were nerfed a little too hard right before 2.2, because they were like twice as good as normal empires. The devs have acknowledged this in a couple places.

Only if by acknowledgment you meant denial.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
I've definitely had AI fleets overrun my defenses, often being clever enough to go around my citadels if I don't have inhibitors yet.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

There really needs to be an option to redesignate a sector capital or otherwise modify a sector after colonization. If you colonize in a natural order (closer -> further), you end up with tons of tiny sectors rather than fewer larger sectors.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
The thing is, sectors really aren't all that important anymore. You can still put a governor in them for bonuses, and if you really want to, you can turn on sector AI so that they can build their own stuff, but you now have full control over planetary management in sectors, and the distinction between "home sector" and "outlying sector" isn't really there anymore. So other than the cost to buy extra governors, the fact that sectors are small isn't a major problem.

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.
There's even an easy way to fix it, just make it possible to combine adjacent sectors as long as the resulting sector has no more than x planets or no more than x systems. There, no more 20 planet sectors but also no more 1 planet per sector outside your core.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Is it possible at all to build gateways if you set the abandoned ones to 0 at game start? I thought that would only mean there weren't any already placed but according to the wiki you need both Mega-Engineering (took 15 loving tries with the techupdate console command despite having voidborne and the appropriate scientist) and Gateway Activation which can only have its tiny chance to appear if you have abandoned ones?

chippocrates
Feb 20, 2013
Is there any way to re-develop FE planets/ringworlds without clearing them and resettling? I can't build higher-tier buildings on the Alpha Complex as I don't have a planetary capital but am unable to build one. Same with the xenophobes I conquered.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Dire Lemming posted:

Starbases basically don't do as well as you'd expect in a combined fleet and starbase engagement. If you have 1k of fleet and 1k of starbase against 1.5k of fleet you'll probably win but also take a lot more damage to your fleet than if you'd just had a 2k fleet. Best way I've found to use starbases is to keep your fleet behind the starbase and only send it in when the starbase is at ~50% health.

Star bases fall off a cliff in effectiveness once people get cruisers and battleships. The only time they are effective again is when you unlock titans and you can build ion beam platforms with the range increasing building in the starbase. And even then you need a bunch to do any real damage AND a fleet to back it up. Starbases are little more than a speed bump past a certain point.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

ZypherIM posted:

Note that you need to have the connecting systems claimed at the time of colonizing to have it not build a new sector. I've had cases where I hadn't claimed internal systems yet, and thus the distance around that missing chunk was larger than 3 jumps and it made a new sector.

It also works incredibly badly at war as a BadBoy race. You end up with little one system clusters of sectors all over the place, even if you conquer them in a linear fashion.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Conspiratiorist posted:

one of the devs acknowledged it in the last two-three pages of this very thread dude

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

ZypherIM posted:

Most of this isn't "broken" per say, but just not as much stuff as you want? That and it sounds like you're eclipsing the AI on whatever settings you're on.

Honestly it seems like the lategame needs a lot of work. The initial expansion and early conflicts are pretty good but after a certain point, somewhere after destroyers but before cruisers the ai seems to get overwhelmed and paralyzed.

Anyway for a laugh I triggered the l-gate right after the khan showed up just wanting max chaos.

Maybe the khan showed up too late for me, I was able to very easily set up a fortress system and park about 30k fleet power there. I was worried because of the two big blobs of 40k power it had but neither of them ever moved and eventually I killed the khan who was swanning about in a 19k fleet and they settled and became a normal empire.

L-gate was the nanomachine ships, about 23k power from 2 different l-gates. They murdered a big swathe of one of my more dickish neighbours to my great amusement but eventually just ended up bombarding one of my worlds for years. They're actually still doing it because all my fleets are on the other side of the galaxy and I haven't had time to recall them.

Saros fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Feb 3, 2019

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Sigh, quote is not edit.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Conspiratiorist posted:

Darkrenown posted:

They feel pretty weak and I would like to buff them. MEs end up super OP next patch.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Saros posted:

Honestly it seems like the lategame needs a lot of work. The initial expansion and early conflicts are pretty good but after a certain point, somewhere after destroyers but before cruisers the ai seems to get overwhelmed and paralyzed.

Anyway for a laugh I triggered the l-gate right after the khan showed up just wanting max chaos.

Maybe the khan showed up too late for me, I was able to very easily set up a fortress system and park about 30k fleet power there. I was worried because of the two big blobs of 40k power it had but neither of them ever moved and eventually I killed the khan who was swanning about in a 19k fleet and they settled and became a normal empire.

L-gate was the nanomachine ships, about 23k power from 2 different l-gates. They murdered a big swathe of one of my more dickish neighbours to my great amusement but eventually just ended up bombarding one of my worlds for years. They're actually still doing it because all my fleets are on the other side of the galaxy and I haven't had time to recall them.

Khan is mid-game, and spawns off of when you have that timer set (l-gate doesn't have the same timer, but is a mid-game event as well). It is sort of intended to break up a mid-game stalemate situation in the galaxy, not defeat the player outright. If you're on grand admiral (with scaling off) and you're easily able to setup a 30k fleet you're in a position where there isn't too much you can add onto the AI. Glavius' mod has historically been good, I haven't been following it myself though. Upping the number of empires and making sure you've got a good number of advanced starts helps (you have less room to expand initially, and the advanced starts will be able to attack the normal starts to keep growing).

There are definitely some optimization things that players can easily do that the AI doesn't, like resettling to jump colonies up to 10 pops immediately. Randomly generated empires won't always have good setups for traits+civics, you could make some solid opponents and set them to force spawn.

Also I believe Wiz posted within like a day of 2.2 coming out about it.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Just watch the first few episodes of the Megacorp livestream. When they started machine empires could have multiple robot production buildings on a planet. That quickly got out of hand, and their current state is a response to that.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

The scourge don't seem to infest planets in my game. I saw them invade one planet and win, but after that the population just carries on unpurged, and the invasion fleet stays in orbit doing nothing. Is that a bug? I'm about 20 years into the scourge event and no planets have been infested, though a bunch are deep within the scourge's territory.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Demiurge4 posted:

Star bases fall off a cliff in effectiveness once people get cruisers and battleships. The only time they are effective again is when you unlock titans and you can build ion beam platforms with the range increasing building in the starbase. And even then you need a bunch to do any real damage AND a fleet to back it up. Starbases are little more than a speed bump past a certain point.

I'd like to note that our federation won the war in the goon game yesterday even after loosing almost all of our fleets thanks to retreating and letting the enemy 150k fleet slowly attrit themselves out fighting starbase after starbase, until we had both recovered enough and they'd been weakened enough to jump in and totally crush the enemy's half hp ships before they could jump out.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Yeah but if they were smart about it they’d just repair on each starbase. Any starbase will repair a fleet, doesn’t need a shipyard.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Demiurge4 posted:

Yeah but if they were smart about it they’d just repair on each starbase. Any starbase will repair a fleet, doesn’t need a shipyard.

That does take a ton of time as well, letting you rebuild.

bitterandtwisted posted:

The scourge don't seem to infest planets in my game. I saw them invade one planet and win, but after that the population just carries on unpurged, and the invasion fleet stays in orbit doing nothing. Is that a bug? I'm about 20 years into the scourge event and no planets have been infested, though a bunch are deep within the scourge's territory.

Are you on the beta? I know there was talk about fixing some sort of bug with them, and I can't remember if it was only on the beta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

ZypherIM posted:

That does take a ton of time as well, letting you rebuild.

It's 20 days until the starbase is not disabled I think, and the actual repairs are pretty quick. And you probably don't need to repair after every starbase, repairing after every third or so is probably fine. Late game probably more than three really. And if you're playing single player you could just pause and detach heavily damaged ships to repair and move on with the rest.