Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Black August posted:

Claire's arsenal focuses on fire-and-forget weaponry, with her power weapon being precision-based (Sparkshot), while Leon has precision weaponry for his stuff, with his power weapon being fire-and-forget based (Flamethrower)

More than that, Leon's weapons have stopping power. Claire's weapons are all very good, but are most effective at medium range since it takes time to either mow down a kneecap or to let a zombie burn to death from an incendiary round. Meanwhile, if there's a zombie or three in your face right now, there is simply no other tool in the game as effective as the shotgun for dealing with it, and thats a powerful ability to have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Since you can drop-down from normal to assisted difficulty mid-game I'm going to assume the two difficulties have the same enemy and item placements. Is Hardcore the same as the other two difficulties outside of ink-ribbons being a mechanic? Does REmake 2 have adaptive-difficulty as pronounced as RE4?

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Be honest, it’s happened to a few of us.

I'm not even sure I want to think about how many times I've done this because I was staying in melee range due to low ammo...

Miniblog:
-gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress
-First save: 39m
- :argh:
-Second save: 1h43m (right before boss)... poo poo
-Scrub through speedrunner's video
-Reload first save
-Second second save: 1h13m (plug room first visit)
-poo poo poo poo gently caress gosh darnit, how rude
-Last save: 1h46m
-Knifed boss to death
-Knifed next boss to death
-Was tempted to knife boss... but didn't
-Got sub-14,000 step achievement

My take is that ClaireB is about disgusting levels of optimization. Throw on near-perfect dodging to be a speedrunner?

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Since you can drop-down from normal to assisted difficulty mid-game I'm going to assume the two difficulties have the same enemy and item placements. Is Hardcore the same as the other two difficulties outside of ink-ribbons being a mechanic? Does REmake 2 have adaptive-difficulty as pronounced as RE4?

No to both.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
Just finished 4th Survivor. That is tight and tense. Any unlockables from 4th Survivor other than Tofu survivor or is that timer score at the end just for personal glory?

E: one bit that makes me laugh is when a near hysterical Birkin screams out "G is my creation!" You didn't make it you fucker, you pulled it out of Lisa Trevor after she ate a nemesis parasite and God knows what other poo poo Umbrella threw at her while she was a guinea pig. Barely anyone actually makes poo poo in RE games, it's all stolen or just discovered!

DeadButDelicious fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Feb 3, 2019

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
With Mr.X they finally have a model to bring back the best RE character, the Leach boy.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

DeadButDelicious posted:

Just finished 4th Survivor. That is tight and tense. Any unlockables from 4th Survivor other than Tofu survivor or is that timer score at the end just for personal glory?

E: one bit that makes me laugh is when a near hysterical Birkin screams out "G is my creation!" You didn't make it you fucker, you pulled it out of Lisa Trevor after she ate a nemesis parasite and God knows what other poo poo Umbrella threw at her while she was a guinea pig. Barely anyone actually makes poo poo in RE games, it's all stolen or just discovered!

I mean he probably introduced the part were G is incestous by instinct.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Toaster Beef posted:

Danielle Riendeau is generally pretty good on videos and podcasts but her written takes can vary from sensible to buck wild

Yeah. Waypoint's written content is very hit or miss for me (mostly miss). I'll just never understand articles like that, to be honest. I can understand using the game as a springboard for what the writer would like to see out of a survival horror game but, honestly, most of stuff like this is just a stream-of-conscious rambling that ignores what the game is. It's called Resident Evil 2 after the old game with the same characters - so it's obviously going to be an ER trauma simulator that let's you pick up and manipulate every item in the world!

It is interesting to think about the ramifications of wholesale looting the place when there are potentially other survivors out there but the pieces doesn't go into that all that much to actually matter or make a point other than paying it lipservice - which is basically 90% of all Waypoint writing.

In other news, I decided to run through the original Resident Evil 2 on my PS1 and I still enjoy the heck out of it. Let me tell you, when I picked up handgun ammo and got 15 rounds out of it, I nearly broke down. Beautiful beautiful ammo! The bowgun wasn't as bad as I remember it either. You got a shitload of ammo for it and it tore up zombies really well. It makes me pine for a "Battle Mode" where they up the enemy count and add tons more ammo for you to go hogwild with.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I feel like I'm discovering I'm hosed at the very end of the game.

I'm fighting Birkin's final form on the train as Claire, and I feel like I don't have enough heavy ammo to do the job. I only have 34 minigun ammo, 7 acid grenade launcher rounds (and the grenade launcher loads really slowly), and a bunch of smg ammo. The boss is repeatedly eating me up. I really wish they restocked you with minigun ammo between the previous boss and this one.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Leavemywife posted:

If they remake Outbreak, they should make sure the single player experience can stand on its own.

The logical thing would be to make the single player campaign RE3 and Outbreak the multiplayer part.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Viridiant posted:

I'm fighting Birkin's final form on the train as Claire, and I feel like I don't have enough heavy ammo to do the job. I only have 34 minigun ammo, 7 acid grenade launcher rounds (and the grenade launcher loads really slowly), and a bunch of smg ammo. The boss is repeatedly eating me up. I really wish they restocked you with minigun ammo between the previous boss and this one.

Is that literally it? No throwing grenades, hi power pistol ammo etc? The SMG is deceptively powerful so might be better off emptying the minigun and then the SMG into him than messing around with acid rounds or just firing one then switching. I killed him earlier with a few flame rounds and a shitload of SMG shots, about 4 or 5 upgraded clips. Didn't have any minigun left after the previous fight but didn't end up having to use the high power pistol ammo I'd saved either.

I hope you aren't hosed. There's some large gunpowder in the train car I think so maybe you can make some ammo if you have any high grade left in the item box?

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Feb 3, 2019

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Viridiant posted:

Make sure to focus on the eye that opens up near the end of the sequence. I was in a similar situation near the end of my Hardcore run—no ammo except for a single rocket leftover from the Mr. X fight and the unlockable Samurai Edge which fires slowly and does poo poo for damage—and while I died the first time after shooting off the rocket immediately and followed it by plinking helplessly with my pistol, the second time I held the rocket until the eye opened up and got him that way. In your situation, I'd probably lead with the acid rounds until the eye opens, then immediately dump the SMG and/or whatever is left from the minigun into him, and hopefully that'll do it.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

thebardyspoon posted:

Is that literally it? No throwing grenades, hi power pistol ammo etc? The SMG is deceptively powerful so might be better off emptying the minigun and then the SMG into him than messing around with acid rounds or just firing one then switching. I killed him earlier with a few flame rounds and a shitload of SMG shots, about 4 or 5 upgraded clips. Didn't have any minigun left after the previous fight but didn't end up having to use the high power pistol ammo I'd saved either.

I hope you aren't hosed. There's some large gunpowder in the train car I think so maybe you can make some ammo if you have any high grade left in the item box?

I just barely managed it. I hit the miniature eye a few times with the grenade rounds, then unloaded on the main eye with the minigun and smg and killed him RIGHT before he could eat me again.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I'm at 57/58 files. Is there a unique file in the office before the sewers in Claire A's? I got it in Claire B but missed that room the first time I played.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

CharlestheHammer posted:

I found Kendo’s scene really funny personally.

Hello I have a zombie daughter okay bye!

“Excuse me, is this The Last of Us?”

“No sir, this is Resident Evil. The Last of Us is down the hall.”

“Ah, thanks. C’mon, honey.”

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

I'm at 57/58 files. Is there a unique file in the office before the sewers in Claire A's? I got it in Claire B but missed that room the first time I played.

There's the file about Chief Irons right outside the elevator control room in the parking lot. Claire's gunpowder memo counts a separate file than Leon's in the West Office.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Lol, so Mr. X’s response to being flashbanged is to just start swinging wildly. Smart, admittedly.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Anonymous Robot posted:

Lol, so Mr. X’s response to being flashbanged is to just start swinging wildly. Smart, admittedly.

This got me one time when he cornered me and I tried to use a flashbang to get by him. Probably would've worked if I was a little quicker.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
What are the best uses of Claire's different G. Launcher rounds? Is Flame more powerful than Acid? ... Is there even Frag rounds, now that I think about it? Are Lickers weak to Acid or Flame? Any other tips concerning it?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Firstborn posted:

What are the best uses of Claire's different G. Launcher rounds? Is Flame more powerful than Acid? ... Is there even Frag rounds, now that I think about it? Are Lickers weak to Acid or Flame? Any other tips concerning it?

Flame is generally more powerful and has the ability to burn (permakill) enemies but can't be crafted. Acid is somewhat weaker overall but can be crafted.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Something fun I just found out: Claire gets a grenade launcher in the labs in the room where you leave Sherry if you didn't grab the grenade launcher from the police station.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

There's the file about Chief Irons right outside the elevator control room in the parking lot. Claire's gunpowder memo counts a separate file than Leon's in the West Office.

Turns out I actually had everything up to that point; the last file was a Claire B-only file outside the cable car.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Floodkiller posted:

Something fun I just found out: Claire gets a grenade launcher in the labs in the room where you leave Sherry if you didn't grab the grenade launcher from the police station.

Same goes for the shotgun! Speedrunners have taken to skipping the shotgun entirely until this point. Saves a good chunk of time, but you're working with just the base pistol til NEST.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Not sure if it was brought up or not, but according to some speedruning people the health for zeds is actually not RNG. Each zed has a srt HP value assigned to them, they just have wildly different health pools

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
About halfway thru Claire B about to rescue the kid.

I hosed myself over hard with Leon A since I never got the magnum and only just barely eeked out a win. I thought I was hosed in the final fight due to lack of healing items and ammo. I'm also one of those slow players who aims constantly and takes my time soaking in the atmosphere and being freaked out so it took me like 12 or 13 hours.

And, man, fuuuccckkk Claire's hundreds of different guns too. It's really annoying using up inventory space trying to collect all the poo poo you need and still maintain some sort of arsenal, especially early on when you're getting mismatched item upgrades and bullets. After a bit, I just tossed 2 or 3 guns in the box and had at it with whatever I had the most ammo for at any given save spot and just went machine gun. Claire's "cut scene" level was way better than Leon's.

gently caress that Licker thru the glass in the interrogation room too. Holy poo poo.

How are you guys "dodging" zombies? I try to dash by them like the old game and they seem to have a really long reach. I guess stun then dash?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Yeah, shoot the head until they reel back or you can shoot off a leg and run past them. They'll just be crawlers from that point forward too.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

BiggerBoat posted:

How are you guys "dodging" zombies? I try to dash by them like the old game and they seem to have a really long reach. I guess stun then dash?

Blow off a leg, then run or stand behind them and fan your survival knife. Generally only kill them in narrow hallways.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Reminds me of a speedrunner trick I saw last night: If Xzibit shoves you backward you can easily get back up, jog by, and wave ( :byewhore: ) while the AI does its tough guy ( :toughguy: ) animation and slow turn. The damage is negligible too as long as there aren't hungry-hungry hippos where you land.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Just got caught by Irons in some real bullshit where he loving saw through the cover I was hiding behind or something so great now I have to go do the last forever again because I'm trying to S+ this fucker and hadn't saved since prior to G1

Kinda don't care though if I'm being honest, except that Deus X is real horny for it on this difficulty, he don't do no slow walking he's all go, all the time :stonk: Which wasn't actually such a big problem in itself, but made it a bastard to get past the enemies I'd not put down (Especially the licker who spawns between the West Office and Supply Room :argh:

Game owns

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nkwb8KpaocE

Ahahahahaha :allears:

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
man mr x appears pretty drat early on in the b playthrough. This is not going to be fun :(

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Andrigaar posted:

Reminds me of a speedrunner trick I saw last night: If Xzibit shoves you backward you can easily get back up, jog by, and wave ( :byewhore: ) while the AI does its tough guy ( :toughguy: ) animation and slow turn. The damage is negligible too as long as there aren't hungry-hungry hippos where you land.

You also can get him to grab you out of a crowd and one-handed overhead slam you in the direction you want to go, bypassing everything around you in exchange for taking a not-so-grievous health hit. Thanks Mr. X! :downsgun:

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So is 2nd Run just the first one, but going to places in a slightly different order with less story?

I'm playing Claire 2nd Run after beating her the original campaign with her and this feels essentially like a "time attack mode". It's like the original game but with less cutscenes. Should I bother with this if I beat both Leon and Claire's new games?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Vikar Jerome posted:

watching the videos hes put on his twitter, he seemed absolutely terrified and basically slow walked his way through the game constantly aiming. :allears:

https://twitter.com/PG_kamiya/status/1091749133260533760

"Wait a minute... If you think you can see the legs from behind the door, it's a wheel.
I'm scared of anything and everything... "

always funny how Kamiya's first big break came from RE2 but he is notorious for hating horror movies/games because they spook him too much. Probably why he tried to give extreme power and agency to the player in RE4 but eventually it became DMC. Must be rad for him seeing the RE2 remake plus a new DMC game in the same year.

Did the whole sewer sequence in one go. Christ those G-fuckers are gross. Can already tell I'm gonna like this lab.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

punk rebel ecks posted:

So is 2nd Run just the first one, but going to places in a slightly different order with less story?

I'm playing Claire 2nd Run after beating her the original campaign with her and this feels essentially like a "time attack mode". It's like the original game but with less cutscenes. Should I bother with this if I beat both Leon and Claire's new games?

Yes, to get the final ending.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The story ends up the same on both runs however there is an extended ending which you saw a hint of at the end of 1st run credits. Whoever you’re playing in the 2nd is the one who fights the final final boss

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Is small carbon footprint something I can feasibly get on my own judgment or should I look up some kind of route?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

PantsBandit posted:

Is small carbon footprint something I can feasibly get on my own judgment or should I look up some kind of route?

Get a route unless meticulous routing is your thing.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Yes, to get the final ending.

Kibayasu posted:

The story ends up the same on both runs however there is an extended ending which you saw a hint of at the end of 1st run credits. Whoever you’re playing in the 2nd is the one who fights the final final boss

Okay thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I’m ok with the variable damage to take down zombies, but the game occasionally goes way too far with it to the point that it’s loving stupid. I just ran into to one that took 12 shots to the head to down and it didn’t even blow his head up. Like, gently caress off game.