Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Hollismason posted:

All of them are pretty fantastic but honestly you should really watch the TCM one because he knows so much about that film its ridiculous.

TCM and Hills Have Eyes are the two that I've watched so far. Those were just fantastic. Tried to watch Blood Rage but it was pretty boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Last time I looked at that on Amazon, it was mostly reviews that the art had changed. I guess the revised the listing when they restored the old art.

I loved this movie enough to pick up the soundtrack on cassette and then on CD when my cassette went to the great tape deck hereafter, both were special orders. Favorite scene from it is this one which for the time was mindblowing in concept. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZHfNda97ws

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

Looks like The People Under the Stairs, Tales From the Hood, and Brain Damage are now up on Shudder. Also the Snoop Dogg horror movie Bones, which I really liked years ago so I'm interested to see if it holds up at all.

I love showing people Tales From The Hood. It's a movie that unfortunately holds up just as well in 2019 as it did when it was released. Except the last segment. Last segment sucks.

I haven't seen the sequel. It gives off a Creepshow 3 kind of vibe.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

escape artist posted:

Which Last Drive-In episodes are essential?

I’d say Basket Case is pretty essential. I love the movie for a lot of reasons, but in terms of a The Last Drive-In episode it’s neat because Joe Bob himself helped popularize the movie in its unedited form.

edit : This reminds me that I should finally watch BC3, I don’t know what I’m saving it for.

Drunkboxer fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Feb 3, 2019

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

escape artist posted:

Which Last Drive-In episodes are essential?

I mean, like every single movie in the first "season" is killer and they're all equally worth watching, but I guess if you had to pare down all the episodes released so far, Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Legend of Boggy Creek are the most "essential". TCM because Joe Bob goes into more detail on that movie than anybody I've ever seen (I mean he wrote a huge essay on it and it's his favorite film of all time), and Legend of Boggy Creek because he's really passionate about it and brings on a Boggy Creek historian to talk about the legend.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Untrustable posted:

I love showing people Tales From The Hood. It's a movie that unfortunately holds up just as well in 2019 as it did when it was released. Except the last segment. Last segment sucks.

I haven't seen the sequel. It gives off a Creepshow 3 kind of vibe.

Tales From The Hood 2 is certainly a step down in many ways but I think it's message is pretty powerful, and Keith David is just delightful all the time. I'd say if you're not paying to see it, it's worth your time.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

I must have somehow missed the Boggy Creek Last Drive In. Gonna have to rectify that.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Has anyone seen Bad Ben? It's horrible, but it's become an obsession with me and I've now seen all five (?) sequels. It's a weird series and perhaps the first film series to come into being because of Amazon Prime letting people upload any old garbage for free.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Has anyone seen Bad Ben? It's horrible, but it's become an obsession with me and I've now seen all five (?) sequels. It's a weird series and perhaps the first film series to come into being because of Amazon Prime letting people upload any old garbage for free.

Yeah I saw it back during the October challenge. I thought it was kind of nerdily charming, that dude is definitely doing it for the love of the genre. I meant to check out rest of the series but I kind of forgot about them.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Piercing is a weird one. It's got an aesthetic and atmosphere down, and I loved Mia Wakowskia but I left feeling a little confused about what it was trying to do or say.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Drunkboxer posted:

Yeah I saw it back during the October challenge. I thought it was kind of nerdily charming, that dude is definitely doing it for the love of the genre. I meant to check out rest of the series but I kind of forgot about them.

He seems to only half understand why people liked the first one. Like, he tries to lean into the goofy charm, but has kind of a bad sense of humor. In the third one, he hires some improv comics to play off of, and you can really see a difference of sensibilities in how they do gags vs how he does gags.

The unselfconsciousness of the original is definitely why I like it.

He’s doing a gofundme to make another one, and his target is like two grand so that he can buy a new computer and a second camera.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
Speaking of Boggy Creek, the director's daughter is helping with a 4K restoration on it and it is far and away the best looking I've ever seen the film:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEvbmZoD8Us

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Almost Blue posted:

Speaking of Boggy Creek, the director's daughter is helping with a 4K restoration on it and it is far and away the best looking I've ever seen the film:

God I hope this gets a blu ray release.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So the Suspiria remake got me going back and watching a bunch of Argento stuff and god drat I forgot how good Phenomena was.

SMP
May 5, 2009

Your Gay Uncle posted:

So the Suspiria remake got me going back and watching a bunch of Argento stuff and god drat I forgot how good Phenomena was.

Those last 15 or so minutes make it easily my second favorite Argento.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I can never watch it the same way after learning the chimp bit off Jennifer Connolly’s finger and it had to be reattached. Labyrinth probably seemed like a breeze in comparison.

That Bee Gees shirt really should get more exposure.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I can never watch it the same way after learning the chimp bit off Jennifer Connolly’s finger and it had to be reattached. Labyrinth probably seemed like a breeze in comparison.

That Bee Gees shirt really should get more exposure.

Don't forget almost drowning her.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Almost Blue posted:

That looks amazing :aaaaa:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
So has anyone explored the vast quantities of anthology horror shows from the past available on Shudder? My wife and I went down the rabbit hole after starting Philip K. Dick's Electric Dreams. Electric Dreams...is actually pretty good! It's like a comfort food kind of show but the casts are good and it has a cool look to it with only a couple of weak episodes. But on top of that, Prime started recommending anthology horror nad oh boy.

So I know we've all talked about Hammer House of Horror but I didn't realize they have the much less common Chiller as well as. Chiller is anthology horror show you all have to watch. It's a British show from 1995 of which only five episodes ended up being produced. Good cast and mostly good writing, they found some cool family crypts and estates to shoot in, and there's lots of low key synth music in the background. And since it's only five episodes I mean you can spare a couple of hours to check these out. I know they've been on DVD for a bit but I'm glad they're widely available now.

Plus the intro must have been absolutely mega-nightmare-inducing to any young children that saw it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtItEVUnxB0

The other notable one I want to mention is One Step Beyond. This show actually predates The Twilight Zone by about a year, but is interesting because it has the gimmick of its stories being "based on real events."

We were talking about Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark earlier, and you might see some subtle crossover with some of those stories as many of them were pulled from printings of folk tales and pulp stories from not long before the show was made.

Anyway there's a ton of anthology horror shows on Prime.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Feb 3, 2019

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

SMP posted:

Those last 15 or so minutes make it easily my second favorite Argento.

I love the soundtrack sooooo much!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MO-GFfMWyA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJZ__uy7T_Y

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

Hollismason posted:

I must have somehow missed the Boggy Creek Last Drive In. Gonna have to rectify that.

I've always thought the film was interesting, but the Drive-In gave me a whole new respect for it. Nice to see it's getting a 4k restoration

It's kind of sad that kind of community- movie making is almost a thing of the past. I mean, anyone can make a movie with their iphone, but it's not likely to get much attention or reception even locally. Posting a homemade movie on YT would be quickly forgotten .

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I understand why most people might consider one of this other works to be his best movie, but Phenomena is by far my favorite.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I have to admit that I have no idea what psychic visions of murders have to do with being able to talk to insects, but I guess the movie is called Phenomena and not Phenomenon.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKuvOrCmFTY

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
I'm already 100% sold on Us after the first trailer so there's no way I'm gonna watch another one.

Oh a thing that should be watched by the way is Spoorloos (The Vanishing). gently caress that's a good rear end movie. More horror adjacent like Memories of Murder (the only thing I can sort of compare it to honestly) though but who cares. Not seen many movies that attempt, let alone actually manage to have so much meaningful imagery and themes created just within the context of the movie without resorting to cliches (if that makes sense). And it's drat unnerving and scary in an entirely too reasonable, understated and realistic way.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Finally saw The Void and loved it. Was the lighting around the creature effects brightened or something since the movie came out? I remember everyone in the thread mentioning the movie was too dark whenever they were happening but I didn't have any trouble parsing what was what and thought they looked great, I saw it on Prime. I mean the editing between them all stirring and getting shot and Ellen Wong's c-section hesitation especially was super intense and I don't think it would have been as effective if we were getting like extended full views of them.

Great pacing, I love all the points where the editing starts to get just a little dreamlike but then poo poo gets real again in progressively more poo poo just got real level ways.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Another thing from Scary Stories.
https://twitter.com/ScaryStoriesMov/status/1092226230206824450
https://twitter.com/RealGDT/status/1092221843967074304

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Woah, I didn’t know Sarah Sanders was in this!

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation
I actually really liked Velvet Buzzsaw. It was full of really great character moments and beautifully subtle bits of cinematography and performance. One of my favourites was Jon Dondon trying to intimidatingly loom over Coco but having literally no chin in contrast to her and coming off as comical. There were also a poo poo load of great references and little nods. The big problem was that the trailers sold the movie as more of a horror movie than it was. It was a dark comedy about the art world and how literally no one likes each other in the world of the rich that happened to have some horror elements.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

CelticPredator posted:

Woah, I didn’t know Sarah Sanders was in this!

that monster's eyes are level though

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

...Very curious how this is going to tie together. I had thought that this would be a collection of short stories, like the books themselves.

Like an anthology movie, but with each one taking up only 10-15 minutes or so.

But nothing about this resembles the Dream, which is where that lady comes from

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Fart City posted:

yo fyi the first three Final Destination flicks are on netflix.

Oh hell yeah.

Almost Blue posted:

The first Boggy Creek kicks rear end and I cannot wait for this.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The Travis Crabtree song is pretty catchy.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

There should be a special editing award given just for the smash cut from two burning tanning beds to two coffins in the third film.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

After the horror show that was the Superbowl I decided to watch Overlord and dammmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmn that is a good WW2 horror movie. I loved it. Its definitely going on the top of the list of WW2 horror movies.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I'd love to crack the code to enjoying that film one day.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

CelticPredator posted:

I'd love to crack the code to enjoying that film one day.

Imagine you're watching it at 2:00pm on a sunday on the Sci-Fi channel and it's pretty much perfect.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

No I don’t think that’s it. I paid 20 bucks to see it twice and it’s just the most unsatisfying film I’ve seen in a really long time. It’s almost there but it ends when it should’ve continued.

I want more of Kurt Russell’s kid tho

I saw it twice to be nice to friends.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

CelticPredator posted:

No I don’t think that’s it. I paid 20 bucks to see it twice and it’s just the most unsatisfying film I’ve seen in a really long time. It’s almost there but it ends when it should’ve continued.

I want more of Kurt Russell’s kid tho

I saw it twice to be nice to friends.
How was it unsatisfying when you consider most of the poo poo landing in theaters nowadays? It was a neat original concept that wasn't a sequel or remake or part of any pre-existing franchise brought to life by a director without many credits to his name that accomplished pretty much everything it set out to do.

I'd love to crack the code to why you didn't enjoy that film one day haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It needed more of everything. More nazi monsters, more of Kurt Russell’s son, more insane poo poo like the screaming head. It teased me and just ended with that fight without the villain turning into some kind of insane creature or something. Anything.

It just felt really dull.

I’m glad K. Waste showed me Frankenstein’s Army because THAT is what I wanted. That movie is bonkers and kept getting more and more bonkers as it went along.