Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tiggum posted:

This suggests that death gets better with time. The recently dead often look really unhappy about it, but those smiles come out eventually.
________________/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caufman
May 7, 2007
It's all happiness and smiles until your jaw falls off.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Enough about your sex life!

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Commercials for medication should be banned. Mostly because they annoy me since they are like 2-3 minutes of random people silently doing "life" stuff while the voiceover talks about the side effects, but these companies should be focused on providing the best medicine to doctors to prescribe, not spending millions to try and build a brand.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Commercials should be banned.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I can't believe you can major in Marketing in universities. Great job pumping out non-contributing zeroes into society.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

The entire education system should be thrown in the toilet at this point and replaced with the quadrivium system where you learn Rhetoric and read Cicero

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Olives are the best starter

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Olives are the best food

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Mu Zeta posted:

I can't believe you can major in Marketing in universities. Great job pumping out non-contributing zeroes into society.

That's not fair. marketing people are not zero-contributing, they are actively harmful to society by pressuring people into consumerist behavior that is killing the planet. There is hardly any profession more despicable among wage-people than marketing.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

CrRoMa posted:

Olives are the best starter

the best starter to vomiting everything you just ate into the toilet maybe

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar
People crossing the street need to loving expedite

not because I am important or have important places to go, but because its rude as all hell to saunter across while some poor stupid rear end in a top hat in a car (me) watches the light go from green to red

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Slippery posted:

People crossing the street need to loving expedite

not because I am important or have important places to go, but because its rude as all hell to saunter across while some poor stupid rear end in a top hat in a car (me) watches the light go from green to red

Omfg, 100% this. This isn't even in the top 10 reasons why I hate driving, but is why I don't jaywalk, I jayrun.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Wrong, veggies are rougher to vomit and if you’re gonna purge anyway, hit up the cheese and fried poo poo

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Wrong, veggies are rougher to vomit and if you’re gonna purge anyway, hit up the cheese and fried poo poo

ok jack scalfani

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich

A lot of people say this and I've never had that feeling, I think its the rubbery texture that throws most folk

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

steinrokkan posted:

That's not fair. marketing people are not zero-contributing, they are actively harmful to society by pressuring people into consumerist behavior that is killing the planet. There is hardly any profession more despicable among wage-people than marketing.

One of my favorite quotes ever is "if you talked to people the way marketing talks to people they'd punch you in the face."

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Mu Zeta posted:

Any subject that isn't a real topic of serious research (physics, literature, maths, music, art, and so on) should be banned from being taught at universities. Skills like accounting or management should just be taught in 1 or 2 month intensive modules so people don't have to waste 3 years of their lives studying something so simple and people who can't find employment in more serious topics can easily switch to something else if needed. The way it is now if you study business management at a university you get a 3 year bloated track of redundant coursework and other crap while the essentials can probably be taught to anyone in less than a year.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Shibawanko posted:

Any subject that isn't a real topic of serious research (physics, literature, maths, music, art, and so on) should be banned from being taught at universities. Skills like accounting or management should just be taught in 1 or 2 month intensive modules so people don't have to waste 3 years of their lives studying something so simple and people who can't find employment in more serious topics can easily switch to something else if needed. The way it is now if you study business management at a university you get a 3 year bloated track of redundant coursework and other crap while the essentials can probably be taught to anyone in less than a year.

The various levels of tertiary education are a maze of nonsense. There's no consistent reason why a thing is an apprenticeship, TAFE course, undergraduate degree or postgrad and some things are available at more than one level with no real difference of outcome. It sounds more impressive to say you've got a higher level qualification, but it doesn't actually mean you know more or worked harder.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I knew a lot of business/marketing people who would scoff at liberal arts and act like their poo poo was a hard science. No bitch you’ve got capitalist brainworms and unlike either physics or gender studies, you won’t be helping society in any way.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

We should have way less focus on STEM education. Nobody should be taking a majority of STEM courses until post-graduate school.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Universities should be more restrictive on what degrees they offer and fluctuate the number of degrees they allow people to get in a given field with the market demand for people with those degrees. If there are no or very little jobs that want that degree, it is equivalent to fraud imho to allow someone to pay for it. Assuming you made a legitimate effort at finding employment in the field you were allegedly trained to join and failed, you should be able to sue the university for a refund. To avoid abuse/frivolous claims, there should be an announced period of time where any company that specializes in that field can offer them a job, causing the lawsuit to be dismissed.

Basically people need to stop telling kids you can be whatever you want to be. Yes, technically you can, but they leave out the part "but with some things you will barely make any money and will have to spend years searching for employment".

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Universities should be more restrictive on what degrees they offer and fluctuate the number of degrees they allow people to get in a given field with the market demand for people with those degrees. If there are no or very little jobs that want that degree, it is equivalent to fraud imho to allow someone to pay for it.

The idea that universities should be training people for jobs is part of the problem. "Useless" degrees are not a mistake, they're the whole point. Job training should be moved out of universities entirely.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Tiggum posted:

The idea that universities should be training people for jobs is part of the problem. "Useless" degrees are not a mistake, they're the whole point. Job training should be moved out of universities entirely.

That's what they sell themselves as. If they did a universal rebranding and made it extremely clear that they aren't, I'd be fine with it. But they never will, because they spent decades teaching kids that 100% of people need college degrees and you can all be lawyers and doctors and billionaire businessmen if you just give them a couple hundred thousand dollars, there's no way they give up that cash cow unless they are forced to by an external party. As long as they sell themselves as preparing you for your career, which they very much do, they should be held accountable for providing what they are promising.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Universities should be more restrictive on what degrees they offer and fluctuate the number of degrees they allow people to get in a given field with the market demand for people with those degrees. If there are no or very little jobs that want that degree, it is equivalent to fraud imho to allow someone to pay for it. Assuming you made a legitimate effort at finding employment in the field you were allegedly trained to join and failed, you should be able to sue the university for a refund. To avoid abuse/frivolous claims, there should be an announced period of time where any company that specializes in that field can offer them a job, causing the lawsuit to be dismissed.

Basically people need to stop telling kids you can be whatever you want to be. Yes, technically you can, but they leave out the part "but with some things you will barely make any money and will have to spend years searching for employment".

At first I thought this post was stupid and made me angry. The idea that higher education purely has value as job training, the idea that you can go in to college confident about what the job market is going to look like, etc. All terrible.

But as I thought about it, I kinda came around to it. Colleges should only offer training for jobs that will always need more people. Teaching and nursing.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Gripweed posted:

At first I thought this post was stupid and made me angry. The idea that higher education purely has value as job training, the idea that you can go in to college confident about what the job market is going to look like, etc. All terrible.

But as I thought about it, I kinda came around to it. Colleges should only offer training for jobs that will always need more people. Teaching and nursing.

There should still be universities where you can just go learn something for the sake of it too - they just should just be called/sold as something different from the current university system. A split university system, kind of like what vocational schools are now and pure academic institutions, is ideal, but given how unpopular vocational schools are, it'll never happen.

But yes, jobs that like that should be simultaneously pushed harder and rewarded better to attract the best people. In teaching particularly (probably nursing too but i'm less familiar with it) it seems like the best ones are punished for their success and are given more and more near-impossible tasks so the others don't have to deal with it. When you're getting paid like poo poo and treated like poo poo, it's no wonder there is a shortage of good teachers. It's not even as simple as paying them more - the "those that can't do, teach" attitude and the idea that nurses are people who failed at being a doctor needs to be eradicated. No job should be seen as beneath anyone.

Maybe we need to use the system shown in the hit television show "Dinosaurs" where you are assigned a career by the Job Wizard when you're young. Just don't make me a tree-pusher.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Olives are like cilantro. You're not in control of your sense of taste. I don't like eating them, but strangely the oil is fine.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Cilantro is a necessary component of Mexican cuisine.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Never met a Vietnamese or Mexican person that dislike cilantro.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The genes that make coriander taste like soap are more prevalent in some areas.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I know there is scientific fact behind it. But part of me feels like disliking cilantro is just racism against minority food like being "allergic" to MSG.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

nah

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Mu Zeta posted:

I know there is scientific fact behind it. But part of me feels like disliking cilantro is just racism against minority food like being "allergic" to MSG.

Or gluten

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Mu Zeta posted:

My personally held popular opinion is this is possibly the stupidest post in this thread. It's like saying "I know there's a scientific fact behind colourblindness, but I feel like colourblind people really just hate artists".

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar
I'm offended by your suggestion that it's not art if it doesn't involve color

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mu Zeta posted:

Never met a Vietnamese or Mexican person that dislike cilantro.

I'm latino and think cilantro loving sucks

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Slippery posted:

I'm offended by your suggestion that it's not art if it doesn't involve color

Not all Mexican or Vietnamese dishes involve coriander, not all artists use colour. :iiaca:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Whitlam posted:

My personally held popular opinion is this is possibly the stupidest post in this thread. It's like saying "I know there's a scientific fact behind colourblindness, but I feel like colourblind people really just hate artists".

I'm saying some of them have babby tastebuds (and don't like ethnic minorities) rather than having the thing that makes them dislike cilantro. Like how flyover states think garlic is too spicy. Welcome to the unpopular opinion thread.

Temaukel posted:

I'm latino and think cilantro loving sucks

Are you Mexican?

Mu Zeta has a new favorite as of 05:10 on Feb 4, 2019

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
I've never heard that people find garlic spicy, only smelly. Those people, too, are wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
People who watch the super bowl for the commercials are worse than every Patriots fan