Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

I never thought I would ever have an opinion on a hubcap design but :barf:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

nah, i like those wheel covers. they're better than the stock ugly plastic ones

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Sagebrush posted:

nah, i like those wheel covers. they're better than the stock ugly plastic ones

it’s literally a polished turd

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

lol I was going to say if you're going for that look at least get some original Moon Eyes but then lo and behold

https://www.mooneyesusa.com/MOON-Disc-s/211.htm

fair play to the ME guys grabbing some of that dumb Tesla money.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

hobbesmaster posted:

or they won’t replace it fast enough, old substations throw breakers that cause sparks and catch scrub on fire

this is what those breakers can do
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6Ftv3zt-gI

Substations have way better vegetation control than transmission lines.

There are bad ones out there, but the real danger is the thousands of kilometres of wire run through bone dry forests.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Feb 3, 2019

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!

Dijkstracula posted:

I never thought I would ever have an opinion on a hubcap design but :barf:

got that classic "first time using a lathe" styling

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
just fyi, erlang mosk is now tweeting "stank memes"

if you wondered what a gen-x midlife crisis would look like, here you go

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1091811603442352128
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1091947949578317824

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Feb 3, 2019

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

oh, there's also a recall on all long range model 3 vehicles built during the production surge, due to a battery issue

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

quote:

Model 3, LR, AWD, EAP, FSD, 19”, ver 2018 50.6

Recent experience winter highway driving.

Nav – map route displays it going to exit 37B south, as car approaches 37A north car puts on signal and begins moving into exit lane. 37B exit is still a 1/2mi ahead. I take control and put car back on highway. Double check map display and reading, still showing 37B, yet car for some unknown reason decided it wanted to go north even though map route on screen clearly showed it continuing west onto the 37b exit for south.

Lane changing – fix the freaking slowing down when changing lanes!!!! If I passed a tractor trailer and then went to change into that lane while traveling at 75mph (speed limit is 70), no cars in that lane and a car riding behind me, car would slow down before changing lane. Car behind me would have to brake, plus I feared truck would slam me when I came over. This absolutely has to get fixed. It was fixed in previous version but now its back again. Also, when on highway and a car comes down an entrance lane (run out lane) car starts slowing down, even though car coming onto highway is behind or traveling slower. Not good.

Brake lights don’t always come on when car slows down, cars behind don’t know there was a change in speed and can easily rear end you. Another car was following us and told us they almost did it and saw several other cars almost run up on us. I can only go by what they tell me seeing I can’t see it first hand and don’t want to be watching the screen to see it the tail lights light when it slows on highway.

Salt on road and reading lane markings - car struggled with this at times from all the white from the salt.

Pavement sealing between lanes and lane markings - Car would not change lanes when the tar snake, (sealant between lanes was present), picked it up as maybe a solid line and refused to cross it, if the dashed lines were on other side of it. However if dashed lines were on this side of it, it would cross. Even though the screen displayed the blue line crossing to the new lane, it would not do it. Other times the blue line on screen would not even move to other lane no matter how many times I turned the signal on. Salt may have been an impediment to it also.

Phantom Braking – I think if a car beside it was getting out of it’s lane may have caused it, but couldn’t confirm, at 75mph on highway not something you want happening.

Poor choices on Lane change suggestions – needs lots of work, less than mile to go and you want me to go to far left lane for an upcoming right hand exit. Better choice would be the right lane…. I don’t think the system is anywhere near ready for auto lane change. Maybe when the cameras get activated or crowd sourcing is avail it can pick the correct lane. Don’t want to switch into the slower moving lane that I can see is all backed up ahead.

Beside these small incidents it did 90% of the driving. Did do more goofy things than I had ever experienced before on a 2hr drive and I attributed to the salt covering roads and wet and dry spots from melting. Really had to pay attention…. Lots of room for improvement. But PLEASE fix the slowing down, good grief that is really annoying and scary. There was no snow or ice in travel lanes, mainly white from all the salt treatments.

I hope Tesla starts doing more testing in areas that get salt covered highways and roads, so they can have real life data on what we deal with in winter months.

...it's beta

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
poo poo on the road makes it hard for the car to see lane markings? well, this was unforeseen.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

bonus: dipshit had a carload of people while beta testing the vehicular suicide machine

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

President Beep posted:

poo poo on the road makes it hard for the car to see lane markings? well, this was unforeseen.

If only there were poo poo on the road to make you not post!

mystes
May 31, 2006

iospace posted:

Welcome to the information superhighway.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

As someone who lives in Wisconsin, I knew right away that snow would probably nuke any self-driving system. GPS, at least non-military grade, isn't reliable enough to actually be used, because Waze on my phone will do dumb poo poo from time to time.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

???

how would gps even work for lane keeping? even with multiple receivers something the size of a car is not going to have enough spatial resolution to figure out what side of the road it's on reliably, let alone what lane it's in

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

lane keeping is 100% always going to be an optical system unless we start building roads with magnetic lane markers or something. in theory the nav system would have to do the same kind of fudging our thinkmeats do when the lane markers aren't visible, except the very state-of-the-art autonomous nav system has like 3-frame object permanence

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

infernal machines posted:

???

how would gps even work for lane keeping? even with multiple receivers something the size of a car is not going to have enough spatial resolution to figure out what side of the road it's on reliably, let alone what lane it's in

Apologies, I meant that as a general purpose, why self-driving as a whole sucks thing, though I'm sure you could map the lanes to GPS if you had a precise enough unit? :shrug:

Either way I think it's dumb as a whole.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

lane keeping is 100% always going to be an optical system unless we start building roads with magnetic lane markers or something. in theory the nav system would have to do the same kind of fudging our thinkmeats do when the lane markers aren't visible, except the very state-of-the-art autonomous nav system has like 3-frame object permanence

Didn't they actually test a magnetic spikes in the road thing in Cali once?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

iospace posted:

my posts are the poo poo

:ssh:

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
your consumer gps won't be able to accurately tell you what direction of a divided highway you're on in the middle of kansas

good luck using it to figure out what lane you're in in the middle of an urban canyon

mystes
May 31, 2006

It would be interesting if some smaller country actually managed to get self-driving cars in the near future by embedding markers in all the roads.

I guess if the country was small enough and had the right weather they might be able to get self-driving cars using lidar more easily too, though.

Right now everyone is just waiting for the whole self-driving car problem to be solved, but if that turns out to not be possible in the near future maybe there will be more interest in other more limited approaches.

mystes fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Feb 3, 2019

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

oh they have. they put the cars on large metal rails, it's a bit like scalextric. it's pretty wacky stuff, the cars are enlarged for better carrying capacity and travel in linked convoys.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Spatial posted:

oh they have. they put the cars on large metal rails, it's a bit like scalextric. it's pretty wacky stuff, the cars are enlarged for better carrying capacity and travel in linked convoys.

:wtf: how is THAT supposed to work? I'm dependent on when someone ELSE wants to go somewhere?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

iospace posted:

Apologies, I meant that as a general purpose, why self-driving as a whole sucks thing, though I'm sure you could map the lanes to GPS if you had a precise enough unit? :shrug:

gps accuracy ranges from feet to yards depending on how many satellites your receiver can see. a few yards one way or another doesn’t matter as much for an ocean going vessel. it matters a lot when dealing with travel lanes that are smaller than the potential deviation.

cellular triangulation helps get closer, but any satellite location will be inadequate for lane keeping. in order for self driving cars to really work at all, the processing all needs to happen in the vehicle itself. gps can be a single type of input, but it should never be relied upon by itself to determine location, let alone when you’re hurtling down a highway in 3 tons of steel and lithium batteries surrounded by other similar hunks of rapidly moving metals.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

iospace posted:

Didn't they actually test a magnetic spikes in the road thing in Cali once?

11 years ago

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

iospace posted:

GPS is ancient. It could in principle be achieved with Galileo (EU GPS) or BeiDou (Chinese GPS). Or by combining data from multiple networks (also including GLONASS, Russian GPS which is even worse than GPS). Galileo has accuracy down to 1 cm, but only for paying customers, and BeiDou around 10 cm.

Also, all of those rely on the timing of signals, so the accuracy will be out of whack during bad weather (EM waves travel faster in air than in water or air with water) or cities (EM waves gets blocked and reflected by concrete).

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Thanks for the informative posts, all!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

oh, there's also a recall on all long range model 3 vehicles built during the production surge, due to a battery issue

golly who could have foreseen that?

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

That's clearly a FUD because musk wouldn't allow that during his drug fuels twitter rants.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

golly who could have foreseen that?

no one, probably.

keep in mind, this is the same time period where they hit their legendary 14% FPY.

evidently even 14% was optimistic

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

was that the time when that whistleblower saw them reusing damaged batteries

https://mobile.twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1091080660100440065

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

was that the time when that whistleblower saw them reusing damaged batteries

it might be the same packs, but supposedly those were being produced in q1, the recall seems to affect cars produced in q2/q3*

of course there's no reason to believe they stopped doing those shoddy refurb builds just because they got called out on it.

*per the whistleblower they stopped doing in house asset tracking for those battery packs so that it was no longer possible to tell, so who knows

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

the recall document claims the issue is that not all the cells in a pack were properly connected

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

the recall document claims the issue is that not all the cells in a pack were properly connected

got a link for this? it sounds hilarious

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

wargames posted:

That's clearly a FUD because musk wouldn't allow that during his drug fuels twitter rants.

That's impossible, Elon HATES fuels! How can drugs fuel him? :v:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Truga posted:

got a link for this? it sounds hilarious

here's the nhtsa notice

"Replace HV Battery Due To Missing Battery Cell Wire Bonds"

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

It's a good thing HV batteries grow on trees with a minimal environmental footprint. Tesla really disrupting the industry.

E:

bought a little new jewelry for my bike today and was reminded that the entire process of ordering parts made in Italy, for a Japanese bike, over a German reseller, took less time and effort than getting some pics of the used tesla you wanna buy and already deposited 2500 dollars for.

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Feb 3, 2019

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

iospace posted:

black as your soul
I'm gonna die
with this car's control

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

a few winters ago my parents' nest thermostat somehow got itself wedged, and we were without heat in -30'C until we could rewire the old analogue one to turn the fuckin furnace back on

and now apparently the engineers of our favourite Designed By Tesla In Fremont™ doesn't seem to accommodate driving conditions that isn't "the southbound 880/237 junction at 72'F"

never trust something designed in california to work outside california