Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

A human heart posted:

i've never read ligotti but that current 93 album he wrote the lyrics for is badass
hell yeah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxZpEFJhO6k

You should read some Ligotti, he is extremely good despite what some people intimidated by his negativity might say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Zartosht posted:

hell yeah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxZpEFJhO6k

You should read some Ligotti, he is extremely good despite what some people intimidated by his negativity might say.

lol snyped. I was just about to put that one on here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ymw872sNv2E

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

I really enjoyed House of Leaves' 'hey your home, your safe place, is now all hosed up and creepy' thing, can anyone recommend me stuff that plays with similar concepts? I liked that it was a very inhuman horror, rather than being a person/ghost/demon, that impersonality made it much more creepy to me.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

lofi posted:

I really enjoyed House of Leaves' 'hey your home, your safe place, is now all hosed up and creepy' thing, can anyone recommend me stuff that plays with similar concepts? I liked that it was a very inhuman horror, rather than being a person/ghost/demon, that impersonality made it much more creepy to me.

I was thinking about that book today and it's 2019 why is there not a PDF version that let's me click between main text and footnote so I can quickly get back to where I started before Johnny went on a 6 page rant.

Also that let's me turn on his rants since they're the worst part of the book

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

The Graveyard Apartment is better than I expected, given this is the third time I've picked it up after being kind of bored the first two times. Anybody read it? Admittedly I think I have a lower tolerance for horror novels that are functionally fine but don't do anything very unique, compared to the average reader, but it's pretty solid and well written. And well translated, compared to something like Ring, I'd never have guessed this was translated from Japanese if it weren't for the names. Though I guess I have no idea if some of Ring's stilted weirdness is just Suzuki's style.

In any case, I'm digging the book, though I'm just a little over halfway through. Anybody have any other Japanese horror novels they'd recommend?

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

lofi posted:

At the risk of being a doctor with only one prescription, have you read The Cipher yet?

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

That looks about perfect for what I want, yes! Thankyou!

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

moths posted:

Saying that Lovecraft "was more racist than his time" really undersells how racist his time actually was.

Here's a question: I have a clear memory of reading a story about 20 years ago. Someone had an original print of The Cabinet of Dr Caligari, and in the story it was the film itself that supernaturally made people go crazy and riot (instead of popular anti-German sentiment that caused the actual unrest.) Does anyone know what that's from? It may have been a Year's Best New Horror anthology but I can't figure out which one.

Ok, sorry to pull this quote up that is kind of old, but I have also read this story. Crap! What was it from? For some reason I am thinking maybe the Hellraiser universe inspired anthology?

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf

lofi posted:

Maybe not exactly the same vibe, but I remember "14" by Peter Clines also having the "weird stuff about this place" thing happening. But definitely go with "The Cipher" first, it's a much better fit.

Edit: Another not perfect fit might be "The Shaft".

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

lofi posted:

That looks about perfect for what I want, yes! Thankyou!

Excellent! Enjoy!

I have GOT to come up with a new go-to novel.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Skyscraper posted:

Excellent! Enjoy!

I have GOT to come up with a new go-to novel.

I mean, as go-to novels go, it's a good'un. It's an excellent book, and really seems to be under the radar for a ton of people, even established horror fans. I've never met anybody outside of SA who has heard of it.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

MockingQuantum posted:

I mean, as go-to novels go, it's a good'un. It's an excellent book, and really seems to be under the radar for a ton of people, even established horror fans. I've never met anybody outside of SA who has heard of it.

It is! That's why it's my go-to novel! But you got to figure, there's a lot more demand for these books than there is supply of these books. It's basically, House of Leaves, The Cipher, ... I don't know, some kind of creepypasta? SCP? If someone has already read The Cipher, there isn't a lot I know of in this particular genre to recommend. Looking For Jake, maybe?

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Skyscraper posted:

It is! That's why it's my go-to novel! But you got to figure, there's a lot more demand for these books than there is supply of these books. It's basically, House of Leaves, The Cipher, ... I don't know, some kind of creepypasta? SCP? If someone has already read The Cipher, there isn't a lot I know of in this particular genre to recommend. Looking For Jake, maybe?

I'm sure there's more out there that fits the mold, but I haven't run into it myself. Hell, I'm trying to write a book in exactly that sort of subgenre in part because I wish there was more like it! So if you want a really lovely book to read in, like, 2028, keep a look out

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

MockingQuantum posted:

I'm sure there's more out there that fits the mold, but I haven't run into it myself. Hell, I'm trying to write a book in exactly that sort of subgenre in part because I wish there was more like it! So if you want a really lovely book to read in, like, 2028, keep a look out

Good idea! I hope that works out for you. I see a lot of demand for this genre, but like, most people haven't heard of The Cipher, and it ended up in a Humble Bundle at some point, so... I guess, maybe you'll be House of Leaves, which was on every bookshelf screenshot in SA back in the 2000's? That'd be neat.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

remigious posted:

Ok, sorry to pull this quote up that is kind of old, but I have also read this story. Crap! What was it from? For some reason I am thinking maybe the Hellraiser universe inspired anthology?

Something at the back of my memory says Ramsey Campbell.

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

Cipher was good but different to house of leaves I thought.

The parts with Navidson were most investigative than the cipher ever got.

Recommendations:
Anything with camera footage?

Also The Descent? Or expedition like.

the_enduser fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jan 26, 2019

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Annihilation, maybe? That's got the investigation thing going for it, at least.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

I liked the start of Annihilation, but it didn't grip me enough to bother finishing. Ditto Roadside Picnic.

I think the difference for me was that the warping of reality is much more effective when it's happening someplace that's supposed to be safe rather than a mysterious cordened-off zone. Going to a hosed-up place with warning and prep time and a team is very different to 'aaand now my bedroom's sprouted an evil extra dimension', and that extra distance dimishes the horror.

Having said that, I did like the 'here's a hosed up thing let's poke it' investigation, yeah.

I've got hold of The Cipher, going to give that a look.

Goon speed with the writing, MockingQuantum, don't make me resort to SCP!

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I just don't think there's a lot of that sort of horror out there beyond HoL and The Cipher. I could name a number of books about really hosed up places, but the reason they are hosed up always goes back to a person somewhere in the past.

In other news, I finished Black Mountain the other day. I liked it, though not quite as much as Blood Standard. Assuming the Barron decides to keep writing Coleridge novels (and he leaves plenty of hooks for future stories), it seems likely he's going to slowly (or perhaps not so slowly) transition the stories into his usual brand of cosmic horror. That's fine, he can do what he wants with his books, I just think it's unfortunate because it'd be interesting to see where the story goes without the trappings of cosmic horror.

Another complaint I have is one I've made before about Barron: he relies far too heavily on his protagonists being in altered states of mind to advance the story. I get it, people being drunk and/or high leads to lowered inhibitions which leads to going along with bad plans that then leads to hosed up situations, but the vast majority of Barron's stories rely on that to either move the plot along or gloss over otherwise important details. It's become a crutch and I'd like to see him move past it.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Can anyone recommend any books that have a found footage/mysterious signals/numbers stations vibe? So far I've read:
House of Leaves
Transmission by Ambrose Ibsen
Experimental Film by Gemma Files
The Last Days of Jack Sparks by Jason Arnopp
and the short story collection Lost Signals

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Traxis posted:

Can anyone recommend any books that have a found footage/mysterious signals/numbers stations vibe? So far I've read:
House of Leaves

Found Audio https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/32073070-found-audio

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Traxis posted:

House of Leaves

What's your opinion on those books? I'd like to try some out.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Fallom posted:

Seconding this, especially Transmission. The summary looks good but my library doesn't have it so I'd have to commit to owning it.

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich
it's hard to fail in life with a name like laird barron, if he wasn't a horror author he would have become a lion tamer or running a vicious diamond mine

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
he wears an eyepatch too

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

He's also run the Iditarod and was a Bering Sea fisherman or something like that.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
unfortunately he lost the eye to cancer rather than to a duel or a fight with a bear.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

but it was the hellish embodiment of an astrological crab from the depths of space, so it sort of evens out

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Traxis posted:

I'm in this.

There's a sequel called Lost Films.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Traxis posted:

House of Leaves

The Grin of the Dark by Ramsay Campbell is great, if you can stand how it uses puns and wordplay to create a horrific atmosphere, plus the main character is a loser who gets into a lot internet fights.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Fallom posted:

I really enjoyed Transmission, it was fairly creepy and paced extremely well. Experimental Film was ok but it definitely drags with all of the dry, technical bits about Canadian film history. I'm not a film nerd though so YMMV. The Last Days of Jack Sparks has an interesting premise but it falls apart by the end and most of the author's attempts at humor fall flat.

ravenkult posted:

I'm in this.

There's a sequel called Lost Films.

I'll check it out. What story is yours? My favorite was The Night Wire

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Traxis posted:

I really enjoyed Transmission, it was fairly creepy and paced extremely well. Experimental Film was ok but it definitely drags with all of the dry, technical bits about Canadian film history. I'm not a film nerd though so YMMV. The Last Days of Jack Sparks has an interesting premise but it falls apart by the end and most of the author's attempts at humor fall flat.

I'll check it out. What story is yours? My favorite was The Night Wire

The one with the soldiers.

Lost Films might actually be better than Lost Signals imo.

julietthecat
Oct 28, 2010

Traxis posted:

House of Leaves

I love this kind of stuff. I'll need to check out Transmission, I just picked up Lost Films the other day. Theodore Roszak's Flicker and Marisha Pessl's Night Film get into similar territory. In addition to Grin in the Dark, there's a Ramsey Campbell novel Ancient Images that I haven't read yet that may scratch that itch too.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Traxis posted:

Oh poo poo, I completely forgot about this, I read this book after the thread recommended it and then I immediately got it confused with The Death of Bunny Munro, which I haven't read.
Jack Sparks is a trip, I was really not expecting that plot. I didn't like the scenes where Jack is an rear end in a top hat, which is all of them. Without dropping plot spoilers, I guess I'd recommend this book for people who liked the Insidious series?

Also: Maybe the Laird Barron story The Procession of the Black Sloth for found video?

julietthecat
Oct 28, 2010
Also, with respect to creepy/cursed/found media, Balingrud's novella Visible Filth has a creepy video on a found cell phone, and I hardly need mention again thread favorite The Cipher by Koja (just mentioned a few posts ago in another context)

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
balingrud is good and has a new short story collection coming out in may

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

chernobyl kinsman posted:

balingrud is good and has a new short story collection coming out in may

Which, incidentally, will have Visible Filth in it, so unless you're dying to read the novella, I'd just wait for the collection.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Any good recs for an Alien vibe? Abandoned space stations or ships, etc?

julietthecat
Oct 28, 2010

ravenkult posted:

Any good recs for an Alien vibe? Abandoned space stations or ships, etc?

I'd be super interesting in this kind of thing too...maybe more Prometheus than Alien.

If you haven't checked them out, Ship of Fools by Richard Paul Russo (sometimes titled Unto Leviathan) and Hull Zero Three by Greg Bear have some good stuff along these lines. Both involve exploring alien space stations--in the former, a truly alien, and potentially malevolent, vessel, in the latter a generation ship where things have gone seriously awry and it's not clear why. The former is a slower burn and has some Lovecraftian elements, the latter had a lot of body horror if I remember rightly. I wouldn't call either great, but neither was a waste of time.

Blindsight by Peter Wats is also along these lines. A ship of humans and demihumans encounters an alien vessel and makes first contact with an alien race. Much of the book is about trying to figure out the aliens' language and what they're up to. It's excellent, and horrific. It gets into some of the same territory as Ligotti's philosophy.

Finally, Into the Void by Brett Talley and My Sweet Satan by Peter Cawdron are also about humans in space encountering mysterious vessels and, perhaps, aliens who may not have humans' best interests in mind. Both are pretty bad. Into the Void is reminiscent of Event Horizon, and is by far the better of the two if you do check one out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I started Transmission this weekend, and so far, it seems very amateurish. The prose is weirdly stilted, almost high school-ish. I'll give it some more time, but it's not particularly promising.