Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
One of my projects is closing in on completion and management is getting a tad nervous. A couple of the requirements were to have a PBX setup, but apparently the security folks failed to do some due diligence and had no idea what version is approved, so they looked up the latest version of it and everything else and said that's what we need. One little problem - we're using RHEL7, and they want the most recent version of Docker and Firefox, Postgresql, Asterisk and several other applications.

Management was a bit taken back in the meeting when I asked them if they wanted Fedora as the OS or RedHat. I had to explain that RHEL7 doesn't use the most current release version of applications and packages, and while I could kludge together something to get the latest packages, it might also cause some issues with broken dependencies and such. Customer is pushing for the current releases of applications and packages but still wants RedHat. I reiterated that they could have what RedHat considers the current version of applications and packages, or what is current for Fedora, but not both without quite a bit of work and no guarantee that something wouldn't break.

Management and the customer are still going round about it, and I was supposed to have everything done yesterday without knowing what they really want. It's going to be fun on Monday when I have to report in the sprint that my block is management and the customers getting their heads out of their asses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Question for thread,

Has Dell - the company - done anything particularly revolutionary, great or even good in the last decade? Outside of buying Pivotal.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That's a big question. I like their monitors, and the VRTX was quite a neat concept when the approach to branch offices was having local VMware deployments in them. I don't think their position as an assembler of other people's creations really tends towards them ever 'inventing' anything.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Daylen Drazzi posted:

One of my projects is closing in on completion and management is getting a tad nervous. A couple of the requirements were to have a PBX setup, but apparently the security folks failed to do some due diligence and had no idea what version is approved, so they looked up the latest version of it and everything else and said that's what we need. One little problem - we're using RHEL7, and they want the most recent version of Docker and Firefox, Postgresql, Asterisk and several other applications.

Management was a bit taken back in the meeting when I asked them if they wanted Fedora as the OS or RedHat. I had to explain that RHEL7 doesn't use the most current release version of applications and packages, and while I could kludge together something to get the latest packages, it might also cause some issues with broken dependencies and such. Customer is pushing for the current releases of applications and packages but still wants RedHat. I reiterated that they could have what RedHat considers the current version of applications and packages, or what is current for Fedora, but not both without quite a bit of work and no guarantee that something wouldn't break.

Management and the customer are still going round about it, and I was supposed to have everything done yesterday without knowing what they really want. It's going to be fun on Monday when I have to report in the sprint that my block is management and the customers getting their heads out of their asses.

Docker, Postgres, and asterisk all have their own repositories that work on RHEL. I am sure Firefox does as well.

Anything else? Run in a docker container.

Modulo16
Feb 12, 2014

"Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth."

I'm coming to a close on a project that deploys proprietary software to server endpoints in an automated fashion, and configures the settings for a specific event. I programmed the backend in Powershell/Python, and C# . I house event specific configurations and variables in a Microsoft SQL DB, and our operations team updates the DB with the variables for an event with a PowerAPP. Management is very pleased with this as the setup was prone to error, by Data Center operations staff, and the software life-cycle has these installers updated Every week. So I had to program a bunch of scripts that grab the Installer for the specific Event taking place. On a weekly basis this software is deployed to anywhere between 25 and upwards of 100 Servers every week, and these servers are split into different use cases for sub-events. The automation will even power up the DR VMware machines and install/configure them, and shut them down again. All deployment updates are output to a teams channel. The worst part was making it play well with an automation console written in loving Perl. But it's done, and deploying without failure.

My next project? Remove Solarwinds from our environment, and find a better solution that can monitor SNMP, and ICMP in as close to real time as possible. I've been looking at Nagios, but if anyone has any recommendations as far as great monitoring for Applications, custom pollers, and SNMP custom OIDs I am all ears.

Modulo16 fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Feb 3, 2019

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Nagios is considered less then desirable and we are killing an installation of it at my current job because we think it’s trash and have better options.

I personally like sensu because it’s a drop in replacement for nagios.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

freeasinbeer posted:

Nagios is considered less then desirable and we are killing an installation of it at my current job because we think it’s trash and have better options.

All monitoring options are poo poo. All of them. Just pick the poo poo you want to put up with.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

Tab8715 posted:

Question for thread,

Has Dell - the company - done anything particularly revolutionary, great or even good in the last decade? Outside of buying Pivotal.

I like my XPS13 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

freeasinbeer posted:

Not really a dropin, but Sensu is ok if you have a monitoring guy or commitment to do a decent amount of scripting/customization. Icinga's ok; check_mk is a little... German.

Prometheus is pretty good for time-series data.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

PCjr sidecar posted:

Not really a dropin, but Sensu is ok if you have a monitoring guy or commitment to do a decent amount of scripting/customization. Icinga's ok; check_mk is a little... German.

Prometheus is pretty good for time-series data.

Prometheus is pretty fuckin dope.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I don't enjoy the syntax of Alert Manager at all, but at least for collecting, storing, and serving metrics Prometheus is cool and good. It helps that more and more software is either natively exposing metrics for scraping or has open source plugins readily available. For example our devs have been upgrading Java apps to Spring Boot 2, and we suddenly get a whole ton of JVM metrics "for free" now that had to be polled via obnoxious JMX incantations previously.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I'm still using an IP Sentry installation first set up around a decade ago :v:

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Logic Monitor is cool and good

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Tab8715 posted:

Question for thread,

VMware?

And going private again

jaegerx fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Feb 3, 2019

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Daylen Drazzi posted:

Also you’re hosed

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
Ask this earlier, but this thread moves pretty quick so it got buried:

What are some remote jobs a guy with 5 years of NOC experience (3 of the tier 2) and a CCNA could steer towards? I want to get a feel for what certs I should start studying for and what skills I can pick up, Lord knows I have more than enough free time at my current job to study/improve myself with.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Where do you want it to go?

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

jaegerx posted:

Where do you want it to go?

That's what I'm trying to figure out here. There's so much in IT that I find fascinating and would love to get into, I don't see myself not liking anything except maybe programming/coding as I'm not very creative.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

The Fool posted:

Put your New-PSSession's in your profile, use Enter-PSSession/Exit-PSSession switch between them.

Alternatively, you can use Import-PSSession -Prefix to prefix your commands with a client code or something so that Get-Aduser becomes Get-ContosoADUser

Look at this easymode scrub whose environment lets them use sessions.

:sob:

PSSession would make my life so much loving easier.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Umbreon posted:

That's what I'm trying to figure out here. There's so much in IT that I find fascinating and would love to get into, I don't see myself not liking anything except maybe programming/coding as I'm not very creative.

Go read methanar posts. Then clam downs. Then that dick guy.

Pick 1 of the 3.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Tab8715 posted:

Question for thread,

Their firmware management is less painful than most manufacturers.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Umbreon posted:

Ask this earlier, but this thread moves pretty quick so it got buried:

What are some remote jobs a guy with 5 years of NOC experience (3 of the tier 2) and a CCNA could steer towards? I want to get a feel for what certs I should start studying for and what skills I can pick up, Lord knows I have more than enough free time at my current job to study/improve myself with.

I don’t have the link handy but a posting came across my Twitter feed for a customer support role at Heroku supporting customers in the EMEA region. So that might be a thing for you to look into.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Docjowles posted:

I don’t have the link handy but a posting came across my Twitter feed for a customer support role at Heroku supporting customers in the EMEA region. So that might be a thing for you to look into.

https://www.heroku.com/careers

Checked their page and hot drat, these guys sound like a dream to work for, and I love explaining things to customers and helping them understand technical things. I don't have any web development background/experience, but I almost feel like it's worth teaching myself just for a chance at a job like this.

Definitely something I could look forward to coming to work for everyday

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

jaegerx posted:

VMware?

And going private again

They bought them and RSA too but outside of that I kind that they’re just kind of of meh?

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Umbreon posted:

https://www.heroku.com/careers

Checked their page and hot drat, these guys sound like a dream to work for, and I love explaining things to customers and helping them understand technical things. I don't have any web development background/experience, but I almost feel like it's worth teaching myself just for a chance at a job like this.

Definitely something I could look forward to coming to work for everyday

Customer support is such an uphill fight to me. Incredibly stressful and not very rewarding IMO. I like building things and working on projects. Heroku does sound like a good workplace though.

tortilla_chip
Jun 13, 2007

k-partite
Heroku is awesome. They really seem to understand distributed teams.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
I am having a hard time today translating something I can explain easily with my mouth into a PowerPoint presentation.

Some stupid middle manager on a steering committee wants a hard number on how many wireless clients our access points can handle on the corporate SSID. It's real easy to say a hard number doesnt exist because we cant predict traffic load on our guest and BYOD SSIDs but turning it into management speak is killing me this morning.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Put together a few theoretical scenarios based on estimated loads, maybe? Condolences though, exec speak is a tough once to get down.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Make a rising graphic, shade one part green other part yellow other red, attribute client numbers to those areas, done

It's not exactly hard numbers but you give him numbers and tell him to try to stay in the green

Same same, but different

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
That's essentially what I'm going to do since I have that data from our Ixia veriwave, but it's not what they will be happy with

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Dig deeper to find the real question. Do you have one AP in an exec boardroom or conference area? Are they asking how many devices can connect in one super important area they care about before their VIP guests notice?

Include how many devices can connect per AP, then give examples of a few important exec areas and how many APs are there. 'Conference Room B can handle 40 guest wifi devices' is a better answer than "across our entire landscape we can probably handle 400 devices if everybody spreads out".

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Dig deeper to find the real question. Do you have one AP in an exec boardroom or conference area? Are they asking how many devices can connect in one super important area they care about before their VIP guests notice?

Include how many devices can connect per AP, then give examples of a few important exec areas and how many APs are there. 'Conference Room B can handle 40 guest wifi devices' is a better answer than "across our entire landscape we can probably handle 400 devices if everybody spreads out".

From the way he worded the post it seems like it's overall in all the building, with the same ssid. Although I wouldn't be surprised if it was a completely different issue, business people find ways to mess up very simple requests.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
We have some servers in a colo specially to meet the needs of one of our customers. The colo patches the windows servers as part of our deal with them (inked well before my time and manditory). The production servers each have a team internally at my company that "owns" them and some of servers are reboot suppressed. They are this way because they are important and the app "owners" want to give the client a smaller outage window instead of a large one as part of the sccm patching.

Fine.

The issue is that the "owners" aren't actually rebooting their drat servers at all. Not scheduling outage windows , not rebooting them, not doing a drat thing. I am looking at servers that haven't been rebooted in well over a year.

First I am mad that my infrastructure folks aren't keeping an eye on compliance as the basics are easy to keep an eye on. I am also mad my infosec team isn't keeping an eye on compliance. I am upset that my app owners are lazy fuckwads.

I have heard every excuse from these app teams...

We didn't know this was a thing!!! (its clearly scheduled and discussed every cab meeting)
We don't know what patches are being deployed!!! (the colo sends them well ahead of time)
Nobody is communicating these aren't being done!!! (Did you as a leader just admit you aren't checking on your employees?)

This is why you never let devs handle infrastructure on any level.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Sickening posted:

We have some servers in a colo specially to meet the needs of one of our customers. The colo patches the windows servers as part of our deal with them (inked well before my time and manditory). The production servers each have a team internally at my company that "owns" them and some of servers are reboot suppressed. They are this way because they are important and the app "owners" want to give the client a smaller outage window instead of a large one as part of the sccm patching.

Fine.

The issue is that the "owners" aren't actually rebooting their drat servers at all. Not scheduling outage windows , not rebooting them, not doing a drat thing. I am looking at servers that haven't been rebooted in well over a year.

First I am mad that my infrastructure folks aren't keeping an eye on compliance as the basics are easy to keep an eye on. I am also mad my infosec team isn't keeping an eye on compliance. I am upset that my app owners are lazy fuckwads.

I have heard every excuse from these app teams...

We didn't know this was a thing!!! (its clearly scheduled and discussed every cab meeting)
We don't know what patches are being deployed!!! (the colo sends them well ahead of time)
Nobody is communicating these aren't being done!!! (Did you as a leader just admit you aren't checking on your employees?)

This is why you never let devs handle infrastructure on any level.

Turn it around, reboot them next maintenance window and pick one of the responses below:

“I didn’t know they weren’t to be rebooted”
“You didn’t mention that they couldn’t be rebooted THIS particular time”
“You’re a security liability to the company”
“Somebody must have hacked your server and rebooted it BECAUSE YOU DIDN’T loving PATCH THEM FOR A YEAR YOU MORON”.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

e: holy poo poo wrong IT thread lol

kensei fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Feb 4, 2019

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k

orange sky posted:

From the way he worded the post it seems like it's overall in all the building, with the same ssid. Although I wouldn't be surprised if it was a completely different issue, business people find ways to mess up very simple requests.

A steering committee wanted to go "wireless workplace" for years and now wants a hard number to pin on engineering in case all of the laptops deployed dont work efficiently on wireless.

I have explained countless times to various teams that our floors need increased AP density to support it but it's a political problem since someone a long time ago called our existing design high density but its "one AP per 5k sq ft" so engineering management dances around the topic. The whole thing is stupid.

It's a company of 60k employees so it's very political and involves hundreds of offices.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
I applied for an internal move last week, I think I've mentioned I've passed the HR sift so with any joy, the ad closes tomorrow and I'm hopefully I might get an invitation to interview late this week...

It involves relocating, I was in the new location last Friday so I took the opportunity to chat to the hiring manager which was good.

Whilst I was there, my current boss reveals that another site lost their IT manager to secondment - a senior manager made an HR faux pas in terms of temporary promoting one of the engineers there so he is stepping in and making me the official line manager until he can sort all the mess out.

I said what happens if I get this other job and he says he basically hopes to have sorted it before that happens - so I'm taking that as maybe a good sign that a hiring manager has indicated they are interested in pinching me

I don't like waiting ha

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

What's my best shot for a cheap and easy home lab similar to an Intel NUC but I need 48-64GB of RAM?

EDIT - And not the cloud.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

We keep getting calls from upper management asking for an explanation on our unusually high call queues this morning. I don't know how many variations of "we're really understaffed today and it's also a Monday" we can come up with. There was a fairly large sporting event that took place yesterday evening, if you recall... :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

Tab8715 posted:

What's my best shot for a cheap and easy home lab similar to an Intel NUC but I need 48-64GB of RAM?

EDIT - And not the cloud.

The last time I looked into something similar I think the best bet was a 'used' workstation-class desktop. Bonus is that you can get a ton of memory and a Xeon CPU. Swap in for an SSD and you're good.

Something like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Preci...e46b7:rk:4:pf:0