Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

tacosupreme posted:

I've used a folding cosco cart 5 days a week delivering stuff for the past three years. The two movable wheels are made out of plastic, they wear out and the bearings fail after about 6 months of heavy use but you can replace them with a trip to Lowe's hardware store and like $20.

Great cart, especially if it needs to fit in your sedan or something.

Good to know, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Anyone ever seen Costco stock dried beans or lentils?

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Yes. It’s in the same isle as the rice, at least at my warehouse.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I'll have to take a closer look then, never seen dried beans, only cans

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I'll have to take a closer look then, never seen dried beans, only cans

Same here. I wish mine had dried beans and legumes.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

What’s the scoop on Costco furniture? It doesn’t seem like a great deal for the couch or tables or bed frames really. They’re not super quality materials but they also aren’t like IKEA cheap.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Might be a regional thing? My Costco in LA has beans.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Is it possible for a two person household to go through a 25 pound bag of rice, eating it maybe twice a week, before it goes bad?

If so, how does one store an opened bag of 20 pounds of rice, to avoid insects and spoilage?

I don't think a 25 pound bag of Costco rice is a logical purchase for 2 people.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

GORDON posted:

Is it possible for a two person household to go through a 25 pound bag of rice, eating it maybe twice a week, before it goes bad?

If so, how does one store an opened bag of 20 pounds of rice, to avoid insects and spoilage?

You can keep (white) rice more or less indefinitely if moisture or bugs don't get in. Sealing tupperware bins work, and you can transfer a more reasonable amount to a smaller container as you use it.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

GORDON posted:

Rice keeps basically forever as long as you don't live in a swamp

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

poisonpill posted:

What’s the scoop on Costco furniture? It doesn’t seem like a great deal for the couch or tables or bed frames really. They’re not super quality materials but they also aren’t like IKEA cheap.

If you're looking to get a good deal on furniture, you can do better than Costco, but some of the stuff is pretty good quality for the price. I got my recliner there for $300 and I think it's a decent chair for what I paid. But I do think the stuff like sectionals and dining sets are a little pricey.

However, if you check your local Costco frequently, now is a really good time to get furniture there. They're starting to get their patio furniture in for spring time, and if they can't sell the indoor furniture fast enough they might start marking it down to get rid of it and make space for the patio stuff. Costco will also give you a deal on their display items if it's the last one they have left, but I personally don't think it's worth it because you don't know who assembled the displays and whether or not they did it right.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

MarcusSA posted:

Might be a regional thing? My Costco in LA has beans.

My wife and I buy a 25lbs bag at Costco can it takes us about 6mo to go through but it stays good.

We have a container that holds about 5lbs that we fill and cook from, and refill from the bag when it gets empty

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

GORDON posted:

Yeah for real. I’ve had this 10lb bag of rice for like 6 years now (it’s almost gone). Rice is awesome because it lasts forever.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
This thing has changed my life. OK, that might be a bit dramatic, but this has made stirring my Kirkland Organic Peanut Butter a clean and hand cramp free experience.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

GI_Clutch posted:

This thing has changed my life. OK, that might be a bit dramatic, but this has made stirring my Kirkland Organic Peanut Butter a clean and hand cramp free experience.

Woah

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

GI_Clutch posted:

Yo what the gently caress witchcraft is this???

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I mean, you can also just turn the new jar of peanut butter upside down for about a day and then mix it up. It'll stay plenty mixed until it's gone unless you're a slow peanutbutter eatin bitch

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

GI_Clutch posted:

I that model the exact one you use for the Kirkland PB two pack? Definitely considering this.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Went to Costco with $70.00 budget, came out spending double that but feel quite happy with my cupboards and fridge filled up.

Those GourmetNut Power Up trail mixes are a good deal - 24 packs for 14.99. Lots of nuts, seed and fruit in three 'variety' themes like Mega Omega or High Energy nonsense (I'm white)

also bought those Rx bars which are maybe gimmicky and pricier power bar picks but I do like to mix it up

Costco!

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

GORDON posted:

yeah i've bought the 20 lb (i think, maybe it was the 10lb?) bag of basmati rice from costco and definitely gone through it as a couple.

it usually lasts us about 2-3 years before eating it all. and that's not eating it that often. it also just lasts forever. we dont have insects in our apartment, and it doesn't spoil since it's not like getting wet or anything. if you're realyl concerned get those 5 gallon buckets for food storage and dump it in that. it'll last many years.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Feb 3, 2019

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
speaking of rice, we went to the church today to get more normandy vegetable blend and sparkling water and a few other things, and found they now sell 3 lb(!) bag of frozen cauliflower rice for cheap. praise be!

if you're trying to cut carbs and calories, definitely try out cauliflower rice. when cooked up and a bit crispy it's delicious and don't even really notice im not eating rice.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
My friend got his own membership now and picked up some stuff from the 'co for the Superbowl. Pulled pork and mac and cheese. I've been wanting to try that for 2 years now but I can't buy that for 1 person. I'm excited.

Also he had his first communion. Praise be.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum

Hypnolobster posted:

I mean, you can also just turn the new jar of peanut butter upside down for about a day and then mix it up. It'll stay plenty mixed until it's gone unless you're a slow peanutbutter eatin bitch
I've been trying the store the jar upside down method (weeks upside down), but it's never worked out too well. When you go to remove the seal, the PB is stuck to it. Then when you start stirring, the oil makes its way to the top in seconds anyway. My biggest issue is that my hand cramps like a motherfucker from holding the knife.

tangy yet delightful posted:

I that model the exact one you use for the Kirkland PB two pack? Definitely considering this.

Yep. The hand crank model apparently doesn't get all the way to the bottom of the 28oz jar, so I went with this model. It still takes some effort to mix it all up, but I don't end up with oil dripping down the sides and gripping the knob (:heysexy:) and stirring is much more comfortable than holding a knife tightly and stirring through the thick, separated peanut butter repeatedly.

In non-peanut butter related news, I just opened the latest bag of individually wrapped chicken breasts I bought recently and it appears they changed up the wrapping. They seem more tightly vacuumed and there appears to be two levels of sealing around the edges. These might be safe to thaw in the sink without worrying about leakage.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I got some of those chicken breasts a while ago. I hope they're still good. They are packaged very well.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

poisonpill posted:

I have quite a bit of Costco furniture and like it. When I've gone shopping for furniture at furniture stores I usually end up with a mix of pretty mediocre, but cheapish stuff, and super overpriced "style" stuff. Costco tends to hit the sweet spot for decent quality for a fairly reasonable price in my experience. Of course, selection is mediocre at best, so if you don't like one of the two couches they have in January you gotta wait until July.

We used to have a Costco furniture store near Seattle ten years ago. Pretty nice place, but the selection was obviously directed at the type of people who view their house as a mini-Versailles rather than the more general market stuff the warehouses sell.

GI_Clutch posted:

In non-peanut butter related news, I just opened the latest bag of individually wrapped chicken breasts I bought recently and it appears they changed up the wrapping. They seem more tightly vacuumed and there appears to be two levels of sealing around the edges. These might be safe to thaw in the sink without worrying about leakage.

I wonder if they'll sous vide like that? The old style opened up about 50% of the time when I threw them in the water straight out of the freezer.

BeastOfExmoor fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Feb 4, 2019

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Costco.com (in LA at least) is awesome. I heard that the Kirkland white undershirts were the poo poo so I placed an order and they will be here in like 2 days.

PBUC.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

GORDON posted:

Tell me it was the Calrose rice. That poo poo is awesome and just store it airtight somewhere and eat like a king forever.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Currently in the process of buying a house and we already decided we are going to replace the shallow sink with a deeper-bowl model and also add a garbage disposal.

Guess what was on sale at Costco this weekend? $350 later, we are pleased as punch that we don't have to expend any more energy finding exactly what we were looking for.

PBUC!!

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?

I feel attacked

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Big Grunty Secret posted:

I feel attacked

I feel vindicated

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Big Grunty Secret posted:

I feel attacked

I mean all the tables are always loving taken so this is a prime spot to eat the dog.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

poisonpill posted:

Their leather sofas are the cushions of the gods.

Someday I hope to have the space to get some, I’ve silently envied my cousin’s for years.

PBUC
B
U
C

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

I mean all the tables are always loving taken so this is a prime spot to eat the dog.

Schadenboner posted:

Their leather sofas are the cushions of the gods.

:thunk:

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

MarcusSA posted:

I eat in my car. I'm not sitting at those crowded tables and getting run into by people who can't control their boat sized carts.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Bummey posted:

I eat in my car. I'm not sitting at those crowded tables and getting run into by people who can't control their boat sized carts.

It didn't occur to me until just now, but I cannot even recall the last time I sat at one of the tables. Always in the car or rarely walking around the store if I'm starving when I arrive. I can't even fathom why I'd want to sit down in the store outside of specific circumstances (waiting for tire installation, etc.).

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

BeastOfExmoor posted:

It didn't occur to me until just now, but I cannot even recall the last time I sat at one of the tables. Always in the car or rarely walking around the store if I'm starving when I arrive. I can't even fathom why I'd want to sit down in the store outside of specific circumstances (waiting for tire installation, etc.).

When I went to Hawaii with my family, we went to Costco for lunch on the first day, we sat at the tables. I was very aggravated, because we were in loving Hawaii and eating Costco pizza.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

My Costco gameplan is usually to enjoy my dog at the tables first so that my lifeforce is at maximum capacity while I browse the aisles

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Well! When you get a dog and a slice the table works. That’s pretty much the only time I do it.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

There was one time about two years ago when I was there in the middle of the day and almost all the tables were empty. I ate at the tables and got three refills on that day, and still remember it fondly. PBUC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

My Costco gameplan is usually to enjoy my dog at the tables first so that my lifeforce is at maximum capacity while I browse the aisles

I do this as well.