Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Skip Hagakure, who cares about him when we can get to DR3!

Thanks so much for doing this LP, I'd have never paid closer attention to this game otherwise with all the cringeworthy stuff I'd been hearing about it.

As for something I liked about this game, it had more Komaeda in it :sun:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:

SoundwaveAU posted:

quote:

At this point, I fully expect Danganronpa 3's big plot twist to be that literally everybody, including the protagonist, is secretly Junko.

I'm Junko :)

I'm Junko, and so's my wife!

Skip, but give us the tl;dr version. I don't have enough faith in the writing staff for them not to fumble something epically, but I'm still curious as to what was revealed that otherwise couldn't have been deduced from the story proper.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Thank you for showing off this game, it was quite the ride.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
I just read a summary of UDH and I'm gonna also say skip and maybe give us the short version if you feel like it. As for what I like, I already said that I kind of like Nagisa, and I also think Hiroko is fantastic, not just in contrast to her dipshit son, but because you get the sense that she's been through a lot and is still keeping her cool when every other adult is losing their poo poo.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

mycelia posted:

I also really ... uh, 'like' is perhaps a strong word, but I think Kotoko has the potential to be a really compelling character, and her voice actress is great. In a different game, perhaps.

Kotoko really is something special. She's much like Monaca in that she has two very different personalities that she switches between - though it's a lot less deliberate than with Monaca - her standard "adorbs" personality, and then her strangely intense "choke on a bowl of poop and die" personality. Like how she just straight calls Monaca a bitch and tells her to die to her face in the end. Makes me wonder just how much exactly she's acting at any given moment. And yeah, her VA does an amazing job.

Also, she allowed for this screenshot, which is incredibly amusing to me. The concept of Haiji getting choked out by a kid with that expression on his face is just funny as hell. Might just be my general dislike of Haiji speaking, though.

Anyway, I haven't tallied up the votes yet, but it seems like skipping has a pretty large lead. I'll let the voting run for a bit longer while I prep some of the DR3 stuff - regardless of what comes out of the voting, I'll need that prepped.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Alright, this won't be long or complicated. Here's the final vote count:

code:
Skip: IIIIIIIIII
Read: I
There were also some calls for a tl;dr version, though, so that's what we'll be going through here. I still haven't actually read it, I'm just going off of somebody else's summary on a wiki. In true Hagakure fashion, we're going to half-rear end the poo poo out of this.

So, to start, here's some things from the original game, just to jog your memory.

Update 16 posted:

Remember this one, she's going to be relevant later. Like, WAY later, but later. Also, it might be hard to tell in this case, but this is Leon's motive prisoner.

Update 38 posted:

Another collectible!

...hrm.

Update 39 posted:

But even if my son *is* perfect, something has been bugging me... It's just a small thing, but... He's just a teeny, eentsy bit clumsy with money. He's in debt.

These are basically the only real connections between Ultra Despair Hagakure and the original game. So, let's just get right into it. The story has five chapters.

Chapter 1: Yasuhiro, now a member of Future Foundation, is heading to Towa City in a helicopter with some other members. He fakes being airsick so he has an excuse to immediately bail after landing, and then starts trying to find stuff to loot to pay off his aforementioned debt. Instead, he gets attacked by a Monokuma, but saved by Kanon, who has a Hacking Gun for some reason. The two run away and get acquainted with each other.

Chapter 2: To quote the wiki directly: "Yasuhiro and Kanon plan to head back to the building where the helicopter landed, but it explodes and Yasuhiro is unable to call his comrades." I don't know if the helicopter or the building exploded, but it doesn't really matter either. The two shelter in a shopping mall and Yasuhiro learns that Kanon's father is a big shot at a TV station who has a lot of money, which could be Yasuhiro's ticket out of debt.

Chapter 3: The two decide to make their way towards the bridge out of town. At one point, Yasuhiro hears Kanon talking in her sleep about Leon, letting him clue in on whose Captive she is. On the next day, they make it to the bridge, but it's in the process of being exploded. To note, this means we're currently in Chapter 1 of Ultra Despair Girls timewise, with Komaru, Toko and Yuta escaping from the exploding bridge. Then, Kotoko shows up with her robot, but Kanon actually manages to beat her and incapacitate her, trying to get information out of her. All she learns is that Towa Group is behind the kidnappings and that Towa Group betrayed Junko at one point. Then, Masaru also shows up with his robot, eventually forcing Yasuhiro and Kanon to escape. After escaping, Kanon tells Yasuhiro her plan isn't to defeat the children, but she seems to have some other thing going on. They decide to head to the subway.

Chapter 4: En route there, Kanon needs to use the bathroom. Yasuhiro takes the opportunity of being alone to rifle through her purse, still looking for stuff he can use for his debt, but only finds a pocketbook with nothing but "Big Brother Leon" written in it hundreds of times, with the exception of the end, which says "They're called 'Future Foundation', but it's not my future. I'm going to crush that group of hypocrites one by one." Basically, Kanon is in love with Leon, a lot more than anybody should really be, and blames Future Foundation for his death. Have I mentioned Kanon is Leon's cousin? The two eventually enter the subway, but Yasuhiro then fucks up by asking her about her opinion on Future Foundation, which clues her in that he read her pocketbook. Kanon responds by attacking Yasuhiro and trying to kill him.

Chapter 5: However, then Kotoko shows up again with her robot and attacks both of them. Kanon gets injured and seems to be unable to move, prompting Kotoko to taunt her and then molest her with a "portable motivaion machine", because she's adorbs. Hey, when you've got a thing like that, might as well stick with it, I guess. Yasuhiro starts up a train and uses it to separate Kanon and Kotoko, allowing him to grab Kanon and try to bail, though Kotoko quickly recovers and starts chasing them again. Yasuhiro loses his crystal ball, which Kanon then takes and throws into Kotoko's face, causing her to drop the controller. Yasuhiro tries to grab the controller, but Masaru shows up again, forcing Yasuhiro and Kanon to run again. Then, the subway tunnel collapses, separating the two from Kotoko and Masaru. Kanon has a big thing about wondering whether taking revenge against Future Foundation is the right thing and goes back towards Towa City to try and find the other Future Foundation members, though she's no longer sure if she wants to murder them or not. Yasuhiro wonders if he should stick with somebody that might still want to murder him, and eventually decides to stay with Kanon and head back into Towa City.

There's a fair amount of subtext I skipped, but this is basically what happens in the story. Now, with that done, I can tell you one thing: This story does not come up in anything else. So that open ending we have here will just stay entirely open, and we don't even know if this is canon or not, which contributed to my desire to half-rear end this. Timewise, pretty much everything here happens before the end of Chapter 1 of UDG, since Masaru is still around, so the subway tunnel collapsing doesn't line up with any of the collapsing that Komaru goes through.

Regardless, next time, we'll start going through Danganronpa 3: The End Of Hope's Peak Academy. Boy, that'll be fun.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Of course its kanon. You typed her name over a dozen times there!

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

FoolyCharged posted:

Of course its kanon. You typed her name over a dozen times there!

Would you believe me if I said I didn't see that one coming at all?

...well, you shouldn't. That was acting.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Someone needs to explain to LN writers that VN tropes don't necessarily translate well into books.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

TheMcD posted:

Chapter 1:but saved by Kanon, who has a Hacking Gun for some reason

Already this story has lost me.

TheMcD posted:

Chapter 4:Basically, Kanon is in love with Leon, a lot more than anybody should really be, and blames Future Foundation for his death. Have I mentioned Kanon is Leon's cousin?

why

TheMcD posted:

Chapter 5:Kanon gets injured and seems to be unable to move, prompting Kotoko to taunt her and then molest her with a "portable motivaion machine", because she's adorbs.

whyyy

TheMcD posted:

Regardless, next time, we'll start going through Danganronpa 3: The End Of Hope's Peak Academy. Boy, that'll be fun.

whyyyyyyy :negative:

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Feb 3, 2019

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n

Finding out what Monaca's up to after ADG was worth sitting through the rest of D3, at least for me. :allears:

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Bloody Emissary posted:

Finding out what Monaca's up to after ADG was worth sitting through the rest of D3, at least for me. :allears:

I liked that bit even when I didn't know the first thing about Monaca!

And the prequel episodes are mostly good.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Bloody Emissary posted:

Bifauxnen posted:

I liked that bit even when I didn't know the first thing about Monaca!

And the prequel episodes are mostly good.

I could slap you for spoiling that Monaca shows up, but let's just call that one a freebie, because well, why the hell else would I do loving Danganronpa 3 without any prompting. Of course Monaca is going to show up in some capacity. I'm transparent like that. Still, let's keep the rest to ourselves so everybody else gets to experience the trip and a half that is DR3 fresh.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

why

whyyy

whyyyyyyy :negative:

Despair? Yeah, let's say despair.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!

TheMcD posted:

I could slap you for spoiling that Monaca shows up, but let's just call that one a freebie, because well, why the hell else would I do loving Danganronpa 3 without any prompting. Of course Monaca is going to show up in some capacity. I'm transparent like that. Still, let's keep the rest to ourselves so everybody else gets to experience the trip and a half that is DR3 fresh.

To be fair, it's not exactly surprising. We know she survives. It's completely unambiguous. If the shot had ended on her under that rubble, then I might have possibly been slightly spoiled.

TheMcD posted:

Chapter 5: Kanon gets injured and seems to be unable to move, prompting Kotoko to taunt her and then molest her with a "portable motivaion machine", because she's adorbs. Hey, when you've got a thing like that, might as well stick with it, I guess.

Now this sounds bad, but she's redeemed now because she said she doesn't want to kill adults anymore.

Hatred for this game grows as time marches on.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Well, Dangan Ronpa 3 is certainly, something.

Is it telling that I like all the games but not this anime?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I'm trying my best to not spoil myself on Danganronpa 3, but am I understanding it right that it takes place in between Danganronpa 2 and V3?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I want to say V3 might be unrelated, but yes.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Mraagvpeine posted:

I'm trying my best to not spoil myself on Danganronpa 3, but am I understanding it right that it takes place in between Danganronpa 2 and V3?

Timeline wise, it goes like this: DR3 (Despair Side) -> DR1 -> UDG -> DR2 -> DR3 (Future Side). Note the split - we have two separate stories going on in DR3, which will be alternating episodes (so Episode 1 is Future Side, then Episode 2 is Despair Side, Episode 3 is Future Side, etc.). We'll get into more about the split when I finish the OP for the DR3 part tomorrow.

DRV3 is something different. This isn't a spoiler, we can get this from the pre-release marketing. DR3 was marketed as the culmination of the Hope's Peak arc, and DRV3 was marketed as the start of a new arc which would only carry over general ideas and Monokuma as the mascot, which therefore doesn't fit into the Hope's Peak timeline.

For more information regarding DRV3, stay tuned to this forum, for poster Solitair is currently preparing an LP of it!

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Feb 4, 2019

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

TheMcD posted:

For more information regarding DRV3, stay tuned to this forum, for poster Solitair is currently preparing an LP of it!

:neckbeard: My feelings about DR3 are complicated- I don't completely hate it, but I have huge problems with it that I will look forward to discussing at length- but V3 is very good, and possibly my favorite DR game, so really looking forward to that.

Also looking forward to discussing my specific problems with DR3 in detail, as I do kinda wanna get them off my chest in a place where it maes the most sense. (... And because no one of my acquaintances knows what I'm talking about)

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

TheMcD posted:

DRV3 is something different. This isn't a spoiler, we can get this from the pre-release marketing. DR3 was marketed as the culmination of the Hope's Peak arc, and DRV3 was marketed as the start of a new arc which would only carry over general ideas and Monokuma as the mascot, which therefore doesn't fit into the Hope's Peak timeline.

resurgam40 posted:

:neckbeard: My feelings about DR3 are complicated- I don't completely hate it, but I have huge problems with it that I will look forward to discussing at length- but V3 is very good, and possibly my favorite DR game, so really looking forward to that.

It's definitely my favorite Danganronpa game. I'm still learning the ropes of how to make a hybrid LP, but mine will be ready to start by the time TheMcD wraps up DR3 coverage, if not sooner.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Thanks for the LP TheMcD. In the end I'm definitely not a fan of this game, but I appreciate the boldness, and aside from Komaru and the voice acting, I really appreciate the use of books as pick up items to create conversation asides. Reminds me of the joke books in Last of Us, but with a wider breadth of topics and character moments available.

Solitair posted:

It's definitely my favorite Danganronpa game. I'm still learning the ropes of how to make a hybrid LP, but mine will be ready to start by the time TheMcD wraps up DR3 coverage, if not sooner.
DRV3 is definitely my favorite game of the series, but I recently had difficulty selling my coworker on that without delving into spoilers. A lot of polish went into that one, excited to see you take it on!

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

So, what's all this then?

This is Danganronpa 3: The End Of Hope's Peak Academy, an anime that begun airing in July 2016.

Wait, what?

Yeah, for some reason Kodaka decided that the culmination of the Hope's Peak saga, primarily contained in video games, should be made into an anime. I mean, it's Kodaka, there's no gain in trying to make sense of his decisions.

No, I mean, why are you doing this?

Because I want this to be covered in some way. Before somebody goes on to do DRV3, we should at least have somewhere somebody can go and see what happened in this anime, just for completion's sake.

But the actual answer is because I'm stupid, and have bad ideas.

Point taken. What's it about?

Well, Kodaka decided to get a bit creative with this. The story being told is split into two, with there being a Future Side and a Despair Side, with episodes trading off the two sides. The Future Side will focus on Makoto Naegi at Future Foundation after the events of DR2. Future Foundation isn't exactly too happy about Makoto going rogue in the situation with the Remnants of Despair, and as such, they're having an internal trial for treason. From there, the situation will escalate. On the other hand, the Despair Side goes all the way back to the beginning, before The Incident has even happened. We're going to join the 77th Class, the characters from DR2, at Hope's Peak and see the events that would eventually lead them to becoming the Remnants of Despair.

And how are you going to do this?

Well, it's mainly going to be a play-by-play sort of thing, mixed in with screenshots. I'm not going to transcribe all dialogue and that kind of thing, just give a general overview of what happens and what is being said, though I will be quoting particular lines that are important or... notable. The latter will become particularly relevant, since I'm going to be doing this using the dubbed version. The dub is... special in parts. For this reason, I will also be giving you a "dub showcase" video at some point. There's some lines that are just better heard.

Now, let's get going.

If you're looking for update listings here, you're in the wrong place. They're in the OP.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Alright, so we begin our journey of wonderment with somebody in handcuffs, who is revealed to be good old Makoto, who is of course best known for being Komaru's brother. Can't remember if he did anything else important, really.

Anyway, Makoto is being arrested for treason, and is being told this by... this guy. We'll get an introduction later. Also, this guy calls Makoto "my boy", which sounds as awkward as you think it would.

One scene change later, and we're given a voiceover talking about The Incident and the Remnants of Despair. This is mostly just information we already know.

We also get some shots of the Remnants of Despair, which is great, because I'm pretty sure we never actually got to see those characters from their time in their despair form. So we have Kazuichi building giant Monokumas.

Teruteru doing... something with food.

Gundham leading an army of animals.

The Ultimate Imposter probably doing some sort of spy stuff and running through gunfire (and looking graceful as all hell doing it).

Sonia apparently turning her country into a fascist dictatorship of despair. Also, Mahiru is there to take pictures!

Hiyoko and Ibuki are performing at some sort of despair festival.

Nagito, as we know, pledges his service to the Warriors of Hope.

We have Mikan being Mikan.

Next, the voiceover talks about Future Foundation. We'll be meeting all of these characters later.

They're facing off against Fuyuhiko, Peko and an army of mobster Monokuma guys.

We also get to see Akane and Nekomaru making an appearance.

Basically, nothing really *happens* in the scene though, it's just showing us the Remnants and the Future Foundation people facing off.

Also, Izuru gets to show up and look all mysterious. Anyway, the voiceover talks about the conflict between Despair and Future Foundation turning favorable for Future Foundation with Junko's death, but the Remnants are still out there loving poo poo up.

And we have a title card of sorts.

And then we get an actual opening.

It shows us the main characters that are going to be involved, and there's probably some sort of symbolism going on here with giving us a shot of the character being dead as well, but I'm just going to skip over this.

We are shown this, which surely isn't ominous at all.

And then we have our proper title card.

Helicopters are flying to the swanky as all loving hell Future Foundation headquarters.

Inside, we have a big meeting going on. Get ready for a character roll call.

The subtitles introduce the characters for me, so that's handy.

Well, at least in part. The other guy is the Office 3 director and a former Hope's Peak scout, Koichi Kizakura.

The left one is always the first the subtitles introduce. The other two are Office 4 director and former Ultimate Pharmacist, Seiko Kimura, and Office 6 Director and former Ultimate Boxer, Juzo Sakakura. Kazuo says that this meeting is being held because of Makoto's betrayal.

The other one is Office 11 Director and former Ultimate Farmer, Daisaku Bandai. Also, his voice is super, super high and it's really freaking me out.

Ruruka points out that if somebody were to attack this place right now, they could take out the entire Future Foundation board in one swoop, which is a reasonable suspicion to have that's totally not going to become true in this single episode.

Kazuo doesn't think there's any reason to worry, the island doesn't show up on any official maps and the building was constructed with security in mind.

Juzo gets ticked off about the Remnants still being active and Kazuo not really doing something about it. It's around this time we're also introduced to Daisaku's main "thing": He loves sayings. Sayings like "a dancing wolf needs sake". Sayings that don't make any loving sense. He even says that they're not supposed to make sense. Then people get into an argument about his voice, which is way too high for his size and stature. During this, we're also shown somebody making their way up an elevator...

...and into the room.

He then just straight walks onto the table because he doesn't give a gently caress I guess.

He talks about how Kazuo seems to be losing his edge as chairman with his inaction, but then shelves the topic in favor of talking about the actual topic at hand - Makoto.

We're shown the Remnants he kept secret from Future Foundation for his Neo World Program project. I think Teruteru might show up in my nightmares tonight.

Chisa seems to notice something about that group.

Meanwhile, Makoto arrives at this place via helicopter, and is greeted by Aoi, Kyoko and Yasuhiro. The meeting wonders about why Makoto would have chosen to protect these Remnants, and considers that maybe Makoto was a mole for the Despair after all.

Makoto then arrives at the meeting...

...and quickly gets handcuffed over Aoi's objections. Juzo says something about it not being anything personal and not having a choice...

...then promptly punches Makoto into the gut...

...and the face, over Makoto being a traitor.

Aoi protests and gets a knife almost thrown in her face as a warning from Sonosuke and Ruruka.

Gozu intervenes on the side of Makoto - or at least on the side of "no punishment before a proper trial".

Kyosuke wants to continue with the trial, but Kyoko protests, saying that Makoto is in no condition to testify. Kyosuke agrees, wanting Makoto's testimony to be reliable, and allows him to recuperate, adjourning the meeting.

Next, we get Kyosuke and Chisa in a different room. Kyosuke demands she take a break, and we get some hints from Chisa that the two are closer than Kyosuke would let on. She wants him to take a break as well, but he just kind of waves it off, then wants to tell her something, but thinks better of it and just tells her to check on Makoto, which she then heads off to do.

Kyoko and Aoi talk about how they're going to be suspected as co-conspirators as well. Kyoko thinks that Aoi doesn't need to get involved, since Kyoko is Makoto's boss and Aoi is from a different branch, but Aoi insists on helping.

Meanwhile, Chisa treats Makoto's injury. Chisa brings up that she used to be a teacher once upon a time, and that she actually taught the same people Makoto protected. Chisa asks Makoto about why he protected them, and he gives a Makoto-like answer of them not being born that way and them having hopes and dreams in the past, that kind of thing. Chisa says that while that's not wrong, there are some crimes that are too serious to be forgiven like that, and that you can't kill the Remnants with kindness. That you need people like Kyosuke that are willing to do the right thing. She then asks Makoto if he could try working together with Kyosuke and maybe try to see things from his side.

Kyoko exits the bathroom where she had been talking with Aoi, and runs into somebody who's acting suspiciously fidgety.

Ryota was here for the meeting, showed up late, and then didn't want to just barge in, so he's just standing outside the door fidgeting. However, suddenly, an earthquake happens!

This causes Aoi to lose her footing and open a bathroom door trying to hold on to something, revealing...

...corpses!

Meanwhile, Yasuhiro is outside, having not been allowed to take part in the meeting. I guess when your job is comic relief, you're kind of expendable that way.

He decides to use his crystal ball to see Makoto's future, and it looks kinda like an attack helicopter.

And, well, that's because it is an attack helicopter, and it's shooting missiles at the building, which was causing the "earthquake" we had earlier.

Everybody's coming together in the meeting room to survey the damage. Turns out all of the entrances are completely buried under rubble and all the elevators are out. Suspicions immediately fall on Makoto, who gets held down by Juzo as a security measure. Kyosuke tells Chisa to contact HQ for help and that they'll wait for security, but...

...turns out the corpses Aoi found were security. So they're all dead. Communications are also down, as Chisa can't get through to HQ.

Then Ryota shows up with the least appropriate "sorry I'm late" ever. Kazuo seems confused he's here.

Gozu tries to give a sort of motivational speech about how this room is filled with the best of Future Foundation and they'll clear this up no problem...

...which then immediately gets interrupted by Monokuma-brand sleeping gas grenades. Chisa and Kyosuke have a little moment of him trying to rush over to her and all that, but the entire group conks out pretty quick.

When they wake up, the room finds itself quite a bit worse for wear...

...and Makoto notices he's now wearing a strange wristband that shows a timer. Hrm.

We then hear a strange laugh which is *supposed* to be familiar to us, but, well, isn't. Voice actor changes are fun. The screen in the meeting room turns on to show...

...Monokuma!

Makoto, uh, isn't taking it so well. Monokuma then goes on to talk about how the Remnants are having a bad time thanks to Future Foundation, and he's here to thank them... by having them all kill each other. Yep, it's time for another killing game. Makoto gets his righteous fury on about how they're not going to kill each other, but Kyosuke suddenly notices something - Chisa is gone.

The blood splatter on the table with blood actively dripping on it might be a hint. Monokuma says that he should've mentioned it earlier - the game has already begun!

And as it turns out, Chisa hasn't been doing too well since everybody fell asleep. The chandelier she got stuck into falls down...

...leaving her corpse spread out on the table.

Kyosuke isn't taking it well at all and is harboring doubts about himself in his inner monologue.

Monokuma then directly addresses Makoto and declares that this will be the final showdown between hope and despair - "every story has an end, and this will be ours" - to end the first episode. He also tells Makoto to gird his loins for the showdown. Like I said, the dub is special in parts.

So, anyway, that's the first episode. The characters have been vaguely established, the conflict is established, and we have our first corpse. Next time... well, next time we're going to completely shift gears, since we're going through this in release order, meaning that next, it's the first episode of Despair Side, where we will join the future Remnants of Despair in their school life!

Except, wait a minute. Basically, after a few updates, readers expressed having some trouble following, and it was requested I do short summaries to help people out. So that's what'll be happening at the end of every update.

What the gently caress just happened?: Makoto ends up on trial for betraying Future Foundation after the stunt he pulled with the Neo World Program back in DR2. Things get interrupted when the building they're in is attacked, leaving our group of characters trapped. Monokuma shows up and says a new killing game will happen. Chisa ends up killed.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Feb 20, 2019

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

For a second, I was wondering if you were going to transcribe every episode.

Anyway, the opening! I kinda like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peY3AuDPUh0

Aside from Chisa dying immediately, nothing immediately bothers me about Episode 1 of Future. At the same time, though, I will admit that I had zero intention of watching Future because the premise didn't sound interesting. A Killing Game with some old characters (Makoto and Aoi) and the rest a bunch of new characters we'd never met didn't sound particularly interesting. That said, they do manage to add a few interesting wrinkles to it, at least, so I'll wait and talk about what I like on that front when we get to it.

Also, Munakata is totally just Yu from Persona 4.

I've never been a fan of the phrase "You're so extra", but that's... pretty much the perfect description for Not!Narukami here.

TheMcD posted:

Juzo says something about it not being anything personal and not having a choice...

...then promptly punches Makoto into the gut...

...and the face, over Makoto being a traitor.

Meet Juzo. There will be words about this character!

TheMcD posted:

It's around this time we're also introduced to Daisaku's main "thing": He loves sayings. Sayings like "a dancing wolf needs sake". Sayings that don't make any loving sense. He even says that they're not supposed to make sense.

I remember when everyone thought he was dropping heavy spoilers for the series. And even trying to fit things that happened against what he was saying. :allears:

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Feb 5, 2019

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

ugh the Future Foundation characters pretty much all suck

It'll be fun to whine about them though, while we review the story and I see if I can even remember half the things that happened in Future Side!

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
I remember enough about it to remember why I didn't like it (with the exception of one or two bits which shall be elaborated upon later). But all in all, the episode is decent as hooks go; provides enough to whet your interest if you happen to be interested in this franchise. And honestly... the shot of the Remnants as the Remnants is a pretty good one on its own.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!
Everyone here is laughably incompetent. This definitely looks like a group perfectly capable of launching any type of offensive.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

resurgam40 posted:

And honestly... the shot of the Remnants as the Remnants is a pretty good one on its own.

Getting to see the better characters who aren't Future Foundation is my favourite bit too! :cheeky:

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Look at our boy Juzo go, nothing can stop him from punching Makoto like a traitor deserves.

Now in actual discussion I agree that this episode actually works well as a setup, and the characters certainly look interesting.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Lord_Magmar posted:

Look at our boy Juzo go, nothing can stop him

Oh jeez, now I'm remembering all the memes that came up from back when this was originally released in English. Good times. Incredibly stupid times, but good times.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I remember following the /a/ threads when the anime was new. That was a wild ride.

If I remember a particular thing that became memed on, I'll be sure to point it out.

As far as Episode 1, nothing stood out in Japanese, but as previously mentioned, Not!Narukami calling Makoto "dear boy" in English was goofed on.

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

The dub is mostly harmless for this episode, but I'll have a lot to say pretty soon. The games were dubbed by Bang Zoom! Studios, and the anime adaption of DR1 was dubbed by Funimation. Funimation also got the rights to DR3 and for god knows what reason decided that keeping consistency with their bad dub of the non-canon DR1 anime was more important than keeping consistency with the dub of the games. It's extremely jarring. But so far the only character out of Makoto, Kyoko, Hina, Hiro and Monokuma who kept their original voice actor is Makoto, which was also apparently just by sheer coincidence.

Hina and Hiro's voice actors from the games are actually present in the dub of this anime, which makes it all the more baffling why they're cast as random people instead of the characters they're actually meant to be playing. Hina and Kyoko's replacement voice actors do a good job at least, in fact I think I prefer this Kyoko to the one from the games. Anime Monokuma is loving outrageously and infamously bad though.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

TheMcD posted:

Oh jeez, now I'm remembering all the memes that came up from back when this was originally released in English. Good times. Incredibly stupid times, but good times.

Then you understand my Juzoboy plan, but I also cannot be stopped from celebrating his achievements in each episode as they come.

In all seriousness there are parts of this anime I like, but it’s the only Dangan Ronpa that I would say I dislike overall and appreciate the good bits, compared to my usual like of Dangan Ronpa with an understanding of the bad problem bits.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It takes a special kind of despair to attack helicopt a building when one of your own is already in their base killing their dudes.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I don't think the despair side has ever been particularly smart, Monaca excluded.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Alright, I've gotten sidetracked by a minor case of what I assume to be food poisoning, but I should be able to knock out at least one episode over the weekend.

But the main reason I'm making this post is that the thing I needed access to the game's graphics for has arrived.

It's not perfect, but I'm happy with how it came out. I learned a lot about the limitations of custom t-shirt creators in the process.

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

TheMcD posted:

Alright, I've gotten sidetracked by a minor case of what I assume to be food poisoning, but I should be able to knock out at least one episode over the weekend.

But the main reason I'm making this post is that the thing I needed access to the game's graphics for has arrived.

It's not perfect, but I'm happy with how it came out. I learned a lot about the limitations of custom t-shirt creators in the process.

:allears: That's very good indeed, well done.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

This is good. Also, have this.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

:drat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

This is good. Also, have this.

Neat! I only had this one in my collection.

I guess it is a very obvious connection to make.