Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Terrible Opinions posted:

Andromeda was also preceded by the very bad ME3.

Also both Sonic Boom and Colors were good games.

ME3 was a good game with just the worst possible ending to the series. Just the worst. Couldn't have poo poo the bed harder if they tried.
The core gameplay loop was solid though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Leal posted:

I wonder if this Mauler guy makes really long videos so he can put more ads in them :thunk:

Isn't there only so long a time limit before Youtube just stops putting ads on the video and you can just watch uninterrupted? I don't know his metrics but if people are watching all the way through then surely he's not making as much as he could?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

VanSandman posted:

ME3 was a good game with just the worst possible ending to the series. Just the worst. Couldn't have poo poo the bed harder if they tried.
It was visibly rushed and choppy throughout. The whole game was finished in less than two years and lost a lot of the team that had worked on the previous games, and it shows.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

I think post-'06 Sonic might actually have more winners than stinkers, at least as far as the main releases go?

Lost World, Boom, and most of Unleashed were pretty bad, but then there's Colors, Generation, Mania, and Forces.

I did remember, while making this post, that Sonic the Hedgehog 4 thing they did 2 episodes of that were pretty dire. But most of the stinkers were pre-Generation.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Kim Justice posted:

Generations the only good Sonic game of the last 25 years? I think Sonic Mania might want to have a word...

Anyway, Driv3r is one I'd definitely nominate. Sure, San Francisco came out years later and was pretty drat good but Driver was a pretty big deal until that absolute dog of a game dropped.

i don't know how i forgot about mania, whoops. and yeah, driv3r definitely fits into this category.

VanSandman posted:

mass effect 3 was loving terrible. top to bottom. the game falls the gently caress apart the second you meet the SPACE NINJA and it never recovers. there are a few bright spots like tuchanka, but by and large it is a fuckin mess.

that said, i still place andromeda on a whole other level than 3 because not only was the story somehow way worse (a huge accomplishment, really), but it was a buggy fuckin mess with terrible gameplay design. me3 was like the sonic adventure or sonic heroes of the series while andromeda was like, sonic boom. except maybe even worse because it literally killed the fuckin series.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Leal posted:

I wonder if this Mauler guy makes really long videos so he can put more ads in them :thunk:

From what I have seen of him, he doesn't seem cynically motivated enough for that. He's just a pedant with verbal diarrhea and no ability to edit.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Raycevik said RE6 was the "best bad game". I'm not going to play whatever happened between 4 and 7 so can someone summarise what made 6 so divisive? Not that it was an action-game instead of a horror-game, but how it was a bad action-game.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Raycevik said RE6 was the "best bad game". I'm not going to play whatever happened between 4 and 7 so can someone summarise what made 6 so divisive? Not that it was an action-game instead of a horror-game, but how it was a bad action-game.

I mean, he kinda covered it pretty well, RE6 more or less exults in every irritating cliche and trend of contemporary Big Dumb Action Games without even executing them especially well compared to the competition. It's just that in retrospect, 6's sheer po-faced insanity grants it a level of charm that other action games don't have.

Babysitter Super Sleuth fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Feb 4, 2019

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I’m the weird kid who liked the other Sonic cartoon over SatAM.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Pants Donkey posted:

I’m the weird kid who liked the other Sonic cartoon over SatAM.

Same, Sonic Underground owned.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I have played through and enjoyed all of RE6 with a friend and my first reaction to a picture of Chris and Pierce was "what which one was Pierce again?" His name isn't even Pierce, it's Piers. Pierce is a character from Saints Row. It has fun set pieces but the story and characters as totally forgettable and it leans so hard into stupid poo poo in a way even RE5 hadn't. Wouldn't be a bit surprised if there wasn't also some lingering bitterness over how promising and horror oriented the first part of Leon and Helena's campaign is, compared to the Zombiesaurus Rex gunathon it turns into later. edit: Also the three campaigns have enough mechanical and tonal differences between them that there's probably one you didn't like even if you liked the game otherwise.

The way character's stories intersect by hooking you up with actual players is still super loving cool and I'm glad the new DMC is exploring a similar idea.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Feb 4, 2019

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Playing through Resident Evil 6 with the Boss and Pierce, NOW you have my attention.

Shame about Agents of Mayhem.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Honestly Operation Raccoon City could have been a pretty good story excuse to have Resident's Row. It's pretty explicitly non-canon and you're Umbrella agents so you got an excuse for why you can so easily run around the city being huge dick bags. Ah well, at least the ending twist was neat even if the rest of it wasn't.

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

Hbomberguy posted:

leave me alone

no

ThePlague-Daemon fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Feb 4, 2019

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 may have aged like milk full of piss, but I for their time those were some drat fun games.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
LGR has a retrospective on the original SimCity commemorating 30 years since its release:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrScy1icWjI

Logic magazine has an article fleshing out some of the political context and consequences of the game, if you want to dig into that.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

I mean, he kinda covered it pretty well, RE6 more or less exults in every irritating cliche and trend of contemporary Big Dumb Action Games without even executing them especially well compared to the competition. It's just that in retrospect, 6's sheer po-faced insanity grants it a level of charm that other action games don't have.

Game's also extremely nihilistic. You don't succeed in any capacity in that game. An entire town, Chris's team and half of Shanghai are destroyed. You prevent pretty much no catastrophe other than killing the guy who already succeeded.

Nothing matters in that game. A shame the gameplay is really fun or else there'd be no reason to ever play it. Unless you are in a good mood and want to feel like garbage.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Jimbot posted:

Game's also extremely nihilistic. You don't succeed in any capacity in that game. An entire town, Chris's team and half of Shanghai are destroyed. You prevent pretty much no catastrophe other than killing the guy who already succeeded.

Nothing matters in that game. A shame the gameplay is really fun or else there'd be no reason to ever play it. Unless you are in a good mood and want to feel like garbage.

sorta. i can't believe i actualy remember this but the t rex dude wasn't really the big bad. the big bad is faux ada wong. and her plan if i remember was some Kill the world poo poo, which was that giant yokai thing in the super submarine. T rex dude was the rear end in a top hat who turned whatsherface into fake ada wong because he was a weird incel who wanted to gently caress her. idk. I miss the story being like 4.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

the real problem with Resident Evil 6 is that the actual combat and action mechanics of the game are super cool and good, but the game itself never actually teaches you how to use them properly and they're awkward to use unless you know how to take full advantage of them, so unless you really dedicate your time to the game it's gonna feel like loving poo poo to play

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Alaois posted:

the real problem with Resident Evil 6 is that the actual combat and action mechanics of the game are super cool and good, but the game itself never actually teaches you how to use them properly and they're awkward to use unless you know how to take full advantage of them, so unless you really dedicate your time to the game it's gonna feel like loving poo poo to play

My co-op buddy found an online manual on the official website and that's how we found out about cool poo poo like Helena's trick shots.

Instructions and tutorials are, in fact, good.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i don't know how i forgot about mania, whoops. and yeah, driv3r definitely fits into this category.

mass effect 3 was loving terrible. top to bottom. the game falls the gently caress apart the second you meet the SPACE NINJA and it never recovers. there are a few bright spots like tuchanka, but by and large it is a fuckin mess.

that said, i still place andromeda on a whole other level than 3 because not only was the story somehow way worse (a huge accomplishment, really), but it was a buggy fuckin mess with terrible gameplay design. me3 was like the sonic adventure or sonic heroes of the series while andromeda was like, sonic boom. except maybe even worse because it literally killed the fuckin series.

My favorite part of ME3 was the part when Kai Leng sends you an e-mail to just laugh at you.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

RE6 is what you'd get if you made a character action game but instead of melee weapons you got guns. If you watch any of the Merc videos of very skilled players it's really something else. They were on to something with that but the campaign itself was a real letdown and got away from what mattered.

You either go in the RE1 - Code Veronica way and play a deadly serious story or you go into 4 territory and ham it up with B-movie shlock. 5 and 6 tried to find a middle-ground that wasn't quite there. Though 5 did have its entertaining aspects in the story.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

Roth posted:

My favorite part of ME3 was the part when Kai Leng sends you an e-mail to just laugh at you.

That one is just delightful and really sells what a dipshit pisshead troll that literally no one likes he is. There’s a mod out there that removes it and I think it’s the height of sacrilege.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I still don't know how they could have ended ME3 well after how overpowered they made the Reapers.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

There should have been a way to talk the reapers out of it like Shepard has been doing over the course of all three games.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Or you could just punch them because they are big stupid jellyfish.

bobjr posted:

I still don't know how they could have ended ME3 well after how overpowered they made the Reapers.

A magic space McGuffin built by all the races in the history of the galaxy is a big dumb idea but it's the kind of big dumb idea that Mass Effect could work with. It's when you add in the Star Child and the circular motivation for the Reapers and the overwrought cutscenes and the silliness of Synthesis that it gets poo poo.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yeah they lost me at the star child poo poo which only appears in that game. The rest of the game was fine for the most part but I felt like they messed up with having Cerberus working against you only because the Reapers were controlling the Illusive Man. I liked it better when they were an independent adversary with their own agenda.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

ME3 has three primary weaknesses outside of the ending: The Cerberus plotline, EDI's storyline and the half-assed treatment of a large part of the expanded cast and multiple previous choices.

The first one started with a good idea: The Illusive Man, an obsessive amoral control-freak dedicated to the preservation of humanity but fixated with the idea of using the Reaper conflict to assure it's ascension to supremacy over the galaxy, makes stupid decisions in the interim between ME2 and 3 and as a result becomes indoctrinated himself. You're left to ponder a neat chicken-egg question: did he become indoctrinated trying to control the reapers, or is the belief he can control the reapers a product of the indoctrination? Every time you meet TIM or encounter Cerberus through the war, they go further and further down their own rabbit hole, illustrating the deepening of their and their leader's enslavement. Every plot they undertake does more to undermine the fight against the Reapers and the rationalizations for inacting those plans become more and more flimsy. Finally confront TIM face to face as your final enemy and he is no longer really human, a tool of the Reapers by his own hand just like Saren, the ultimate ironic end for someone who truly believed that a single human being was capable of stopping of an eon's old cycle of galactic destruction. In addition to this, the Cerberus plot introduces Kai Leng, a character intended to be a dark mirror of Shepherd - what the Illusive Man wanted Shepherd to be, what you could have been if you'd remained on TIM's path, and one who lives in Shepherd's shadow despite his protestations of superiority, making it his mission to bring everything Shepherd cares about to ruin to prove he's more than a silver medal.

The problem is this good idea was executed like garbage, almost none of the Cerberus storyline was engaging, satisfying or sensible.

EDI's issue was that they took a really fun, unique and cool character from the last game and jammed her into a sexbot body basically so they could crib a bunch of TNG Data Episodes. Mass Effect was never shy about borrowing from other great Scifi, but it always made sure to bring something new and valuable to the table when it did. EDI was basically wholesale ripoff of stories done better elsewhere.

And the last one is a laundry list of small problems. The Virmire Survivor was handed a giant idiot-ball for the sake of forced drama during the Citadel attack. Jack changed so much off-screen she was basically a totally new character who was more there for snarky oneliners than anything substantive. Jacob is made to look like a giant scumbag if he was your romance option. Cerberus gets their hands on Collector tech and a baby Reaper whether you blow up their base or not. The Rachni Queen appears whether you killed her or not with a pointless "twist," tacked on if you didn't to pantomime consequences to your actions. I could easily go on. The only good in this category is that the Citadel DLC is kind of a giant apology for SOME of the middle fingers the base game gave you on these scores.

ME3 is a good game, but even without the abomination that is the ending those three wounds are DEEP ones.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Glad to see Timothy Spall has been cast in the DK64 movie

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

I liked Cerberus more when they were a just an Alliance black ops team gone rogue, and all your interactions with them involved shooting small groups of them and/or seeing the disastrous results of their latest stupid evil science experiment. They had also been responsible for the deaths of my Shepard's entire unit on Akuze in the Sole Survivor backstory, which is ignored in ME2 (I think they give you the "well actually it was a rogue cell" excuse you get for everything stupid and evil Cerberus does in ME2) because the plot dictates you have to work with TIM and his merry band of idiots since they are now apparently the only people in the galaxy who "get poo poo done" and, despite having been established as a bunch of incompetent morons who couldn't run a hot dog stand without hundreds of human casualties, somehow able to cure death by the time ME2 rolls around.

I can't stand Cerberus in ME2 or especially 3, which is a bit of a shame because they're such a central part of the plots of those games.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

StC was the best Sonic comic because once it stopped being child-level weird chicken scratch art, it leaned in hard on the idea of Sonic and his friends being anti-industrialist, anti-capitalist resistance members to Robotnik's 1984-style dictatorship.

Pity nobody but a few weird British kids ever read it.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
Joseph Anderson was right about SMO and BOTW and FO4 so I'll be watching his FO76 video

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

in FO76's case, the shallow interpretation is the right one

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

the real way to fix the plot of Mass Effect is have the Reapers actually be neutralized as a threat for the long-foreseeable future after 1 when you foil their plan to return to the galaxy using the citadel. like bobjr said they're way, way too powerful to actually be an interesting or useful direct antagonist and keeping them around just means the rest of the series needs to be dedicated to WE HAVE TO STOP THE REAPERS BY ANY MEANS, AT ANY COSTS because they're such an existentially more powerful threat than any one threat that originates within the galaxy itself could possibly be, which leads to stupid poo poo like Shepard actually dying and being resurrected from the dead with magic space technology by a bunch of loving yahoos who previously couldn't even grow some plants in a terrarium without killing an entire branch of their organization, simply as the setup for them having leverage to make Shepard work for them, after which they continue trying to pile on leverage with things like THE ALLIANCE AND COUNCIL DON'T TAKE THIS REAPER THREAT SERIOUSLY and THERE'S TOO MUCH RED TAPE WORKING WITH THE ALLIANCE, CERBERUS GETS THINGS DONE which is like working with Umbrella because yeah sure every single thing they've ever done has resulted in their own operations being completely destroyed while causing untold deaths but damnit, the US Government isn't taking the threat of the aliens from Independence Day seriously, and Umbrella gets results!

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Hungry posted:

StC was the best Sonic comic because once it stopped being child-level weird chicken scratch art, it leaned in hard on the idea of Sonic and his friends being anti-industrialist, anti-capitalist resistance members to Robotnik's 1984-style dictatorship.

Something something Ken Penders. :P

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Hungry posted:

I bought an issue or two on vacation in Britain when I was a kid and my mind was blown that they could interpret things so differently from the stuff in the US. I wonder if there's any way to read them collected nowadays...

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Absurd Alhazred posted:

LGR has a retrospective on the original SimCity commemorating 30 years since its release:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrScy1icWjI

Logic magazine has an article fleshing out some of the political context and consequences of the game, if you want to dig into that.

Are you subscribed to Logic Magazine? If you are, would you recommend the print subscription? Also, does anyone know if we have a good magazine/zine thread on the forums?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Prop Wash posted:

Are you subscribed to Logic Magazine? If you are, would you recommend the print subscription? Also, does anyone know if we have a good magazine/zine thread on the forums?

No, someone just shared this online. There were several attempts at longform print threads in D&D and/or CSPAM, don't know if there's anything current.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Sonic Forces is the best Sonic game because it understands Sonic is all about goofy animals with dumb melodrama it actually doesn't take seriously accompanied by a poo poo kicking soundtrack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Calaveron posted:

Sonic Forces is the best Sonic game because it understands Sonic is all about goofy animals with dumb melodrama it actually doesn't take seriously accompanied by a poo poo kicking soundtrack

okay but actually being fun to play would be nice too don’t you think