Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

The timeskip... never actually showed who the father/other parent of Hana's child was? Yes it's implied it will be Kurai, never not quite confirmed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

nielsm posted:

The timeskip... never actually showed who the father/other parent of Hana's child was? Yes it's implied it will be Kurai, never not quite confirmed.

True but dodgy as it is, all the pieces still fit (you're welcome to believe it's just some random guy though as much like the timeskips in the previous two seasons this will likely never come up again).

Also they never really show us what future Homare's been up to (I assume she achieved her dream like the rest but all we see is her running through an airport). Unless I'm forgetting something we never really see Harry and his friends either (also why are some of the former Criasu employees children but others aren't?)

The callbacks at the start of the episode were nice though and it did wind up answering a lot of questions (aside from what Mother Heart was/where she came from and how she's connected with Hugami/Hugtan, where George's book came from and what his relationship to Papple and Gelos was). I also wish that Cure Tomorrow had actually gotten a chance to fight alongside the others.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Jan 28, 2019

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Larryb posted:

Also they never really show us what future Homare's been up to (I assume she achieved her dream like the rest but all we see is her running through an airport).

She displays a gold medal to laboring Hana. So presumably she's rushed from winning an international skating tournament, back to Japan.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

nielsm posted:

She displays a gold medal to laboring Hana. So presumably she's rushed from winning an international skating tournament, back to Japan.

Ah right, forgot about that part.

Also are Henri and Masato the first confirmed gay couple in the franchise (aside from Yukari/Akira that is)? Though while there was some stuff that could be interpreted as such in their own show, the Hugtto movie has kind of made me start believing that Nagisa/Honoka is a thing now as well.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Jan 28, 2019

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Whoever said that Hugtto was kind of directed towards fans who grew up watching Precure on TV and are now moms has a valid point; much as I love Precure I'm not exactly the target audience, lol.

Anyway the first two minutes of this live-action video has what I assume might be the OP? Or transformation theme song? of Star Twinkle, as well as the transformation phrases. Cure Milky is looking really green in this video although it might be the lighting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uc6g5AKft8

edit in response to the above post: if we're talking about gay, there's always the Mahou Tsukai manga, because god bless the Kamikitas

Pikestaff fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jan 31, 2019

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of manga, do they have one out for Hugtto yet? Also the stage shows/live appearances would probably be a lot better without the hideous masks.

But yeah, in regards to Milky I'm calling her a Green for now until I see some decisive evidence otherwise. Plus technically Maho Girls didn't have a Blue either (true Mirai and Riko could take on multiple different colors but their default state is Pink and Purple, meanwhile I believe Felice is counted as a Green).

Speaking of Maho Girls, it's sort of odd in retrospect that every Linkle Stone they use turns them both the same color EXCEPT the Diamond for some reason (which if it were following the rules of the other transformations should technically turn them both Silver).

Finally, I was rewatching Splash Star recently and was curious about something. Is a Miminga an actual creature from Japanese folklore or is it something they just made up for the show? Also, Kintolesky is great and I kind of wish he didn't have to die.

Hell, Kintolesky wasn't even that evil to be honest. He just wanted a good, clean fight with the Precure and didn't particularly seem to care much about the Fountains, the only problem was he didn't really seem to understand or care about anything that wasn't related to training or competition.

He's also one of the more sportsmanlike villains in the franchise (such as politely waiting until Saki's baseball game was over before attacking, never really targeting populated areas and even giving the girls some useful advice at times). I just felt like he deserved a little better than he wound up getting.

Of course, in the most recent two seasons we have it so the Precure don't really kill anyone (almost all the villains in KiraKira and Hugtto wind up getting redeemed somehow). I'd personally just prefer some kind of happy medium between the two.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jan 31, 2019

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Balala Update:

So ten episodes in Rainbow Heart Stone finally sets up a formula in which the crew needs to power up the titular stones by exposing them to various virtues like kindness, courage etc by helping friends and neighbors with their problems, while simultaneously foiling the water spirit Shuiling's attempts to kidnap Xiaoqian at behest of the evil Shaman Dragon. Important thought: Meiqi and Meixue are humans who can turn into fairies, while Xiaolan and Xiaoqian are fairies who disguise as humans... really they should be doing their 30 second transformation sequences when they change back.

I'm up to ep 6 on the live action series, and we get our first fight scene between Xiaolan and evil fairy Luna. Luna is now planning to train school bully Lili in black magic and turn her into an evil magical girl. Her pitch to Lili is basically "Hey, you lost the school art contest and the ice skating competition cause those bitches over there were using magic to cheat... so uh, why not learn magic yourself?"

Has Precure done a lot of evil magical girl storylines like that?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Not at all as far as I can remember outside of mind control and evil clones (there was also Dark Precure from HeartCatch but she was a special case and sort of counts towards the latter quality).

I would actually like to see an evil Cure with a human identity one day but I'm not sure if Toei would ever go for it.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

In other news we've got our first look at Star Twinkle's mid-season Cure:

It's a Blue catgirl Cure with the name "Cure Cosmo", some are speculating she's an alien too.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Feb 2, 2019

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Larryb posted:

In other news we've got our first look at Star Twinkle's "Sixth" Cure:

It's a Blue catgirl Cure with the name "Cure Cosmo", some are speculating she's an alien too.

Are you just using 'sixth Cure' as shorthand, or has number five been revealed?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

Are you just using 'sixth Cure' as shorthand, or has number five been revealed?

I'm meant more the Sentai definition of "additional member who shows up mid-season".

Speaking of which, if you lump Futari/Max Heart and Yes/GoGo together the only season so far that didn't introduce any other Cures beyond the starting group was Smile right (unless you count one shot stuff like Cure Gorilla that is)?

Though I guess Splash Star qualifies if you don't count Michiru and Kaoru and technically we saw Sunshine and Moonlight early on in HeartCatch (or her civilian form in the case of the former) even if they didn't properly join up until later.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Feb 2, 2019

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

All Precure henshins in one 4k Video - Guess the longest It shocked me till I thought about it and went oh that made sense

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usL4JNYhxsg

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The first episode of Star Twinkle is out (or the raw is at least):

-The OP and ED are slower paced songs than I expected but still pretty good (also a girl in a top hat appears in said opening who I'm assuming is our future Cure Cosmos)

-Hikaru is apparently interested in aliens and the Occult, which is an interesting angle at least

-The villains are a group of extraterrestrial invaders called the Notraiders, we meet a general of theirs named Kappard (who is apparently voiced by the same guy who played Matt/Yamato in the Digimon Tri movies).

-Only Hikaru transforms this episode (which seems to involve singing and dancing)

-Disposable grunts make a return to the series for the first time since Happiness Charge (though KiraKira sort of had some too on occasion)

-No MOTW this time, Hikaru just fights some grunts and part of the Notraiders' fleet (a lot of the fight happens in space too, it's pretty cool actually)

-Lala speaks in her own alien language until near the very end

I'll withhold final judgment until I actually see it subbed but it doesn't seem like a bad start so far.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Feb 3, 2019

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
https://twitter.com/9XCEuogBBUiDFJU/status/1091849251125026816?s=19

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

E: Quote is not edit.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

[Over-Time] star twinkle is out

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Not a bad start, I like Hikaru well enough so far (her interests are also rather...unique for a Precure protagonist) and it's neat that they brought back the concept of enemy footsoldiers again (which if I remember right has only happened before in HeartCatch, Happiness Charge, and like an episode or two of KiraKira). I like that we're getting some actual space battles in this as well.

But yeah, it's rare that I'm fully onboard with a Precure season from the first episode but Pretty Cure in Space is looking good at the moment (though the singing and dancing during the transformation is a little weird). Hope it keeps up this momentum as we go forward.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Feb 3, 2019

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Just finished up the first episode of Star Twinkle and yeah I'm on board. This one episode already had more action scenes than the first twenty episodes of Smile so I was pretty stoked for that. Hikaru is pretty likable and the family situation seems like it could be interesting. I'm not too much of a fan of Fuwa but it's not like she's intolerable, she's a generic cute mascot character meant to appeal to the kiddies and she seems like she probably fills that role well. Puruns seems like he might be moderately entertaining.

So yeah hopefully I'll finish this one out, unlike Smile which I fell out of halfway through.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The ending felt very much like an 80's anime ending which I'm super down for.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I'm glad Zarbon can still get work despite his balding

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of which, there was also a villain in the original Futari Wa that was basically just Albino Piccolo

The singing being part of the transformation seems like it might get annoying after a while assuming it happens every time (though I appreciate the return of the franchise's long running joke of the roll call being part of the transformation and the girls being confused by it afterwards).

I also liked the decision to translate Hikaru's catchphrase as"Twincool" (I think the Hugtto finale used "Oh my Stars" or something like that). In general it's just nice to have a more action oriented Precure season again.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Feb 3, 2019

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Both Over-Time and Commie are using "Twincool"?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nodosaur posted:

Both Over-Time and Commie are using "Twincool"?

Didn't know anyone else had picked it up but that's what the one I saw used. There are multiple different ways you could translate it though (like the aforementioned "Oh my stars" that the Hugtto finale used) but it's a decent pun.

The literal phrase (Kirayaba) is basically a combination of "sparkling" and a slangy way of saying "bad, but in a way that means cool".

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Feb 4, 2019

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Larryb posted:

Didn't know anyone else had picked it up but that's what the one I saw. There are multiple different ways you could translate it though (like the aforementioned "Oh my stars" that the Hugtto finale used) but it's a decent pun.

The literal phrase (Kirayaba) is basically a combination of "sparkling" and a slangy way of saying "bad, but in a way that means cool".

which one did you see? I'm trying to figure out which sub you watched.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nodosaur posted:

which one did you see? I'm trying to figure out which sub you watched.

Over-Time, that's the only one I knew existed until just now.

On a side note I kind of hope the girls don't have to sing literally every time they transform, that seems like it would get annoying fast and a lot of the transformation sequences in this franchise are long enough as it is.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Feb 4, 2019

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I'm surprised Kappard was fought right off the bat. Normally the Generals don't get so physical.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Feb 4, 2019

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Lack of giant monster and general fighting first episode is fairly odd for a Precure series yes

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Also I was a bit confused about the "Twincool" thing until I saw some places started spelling it "Twinkcool"

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Lack of giant monster and general fighting first episode is fairly odd for a Precure series yes

Grunts aren't that common in Precure either (like I said before, from what I remember the only other ones that did this are HeartCatch, Happiness Charge and like two episodes of KiraKira). Though given the way the first fight was handled I hope we can get back to some good old fashioned monster murder this season.

And yeah, I didn't get the whole "Twincool" thing at first either until I tried saying it out loud.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Feb 4, 2019

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

I saw the new one, it’s really good!!

Larryb posted:

On a side note I kind of hope the girls don't have to sing literally every time they transform, that seems like it would get annoying fast and a lot of the transformation sequences in this franchise are long enough as it is.

I disagree, singing along is fun. It’ll be cool if they add more to the song with each new member!

BattleCattle fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Feb 4, 2019

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

BattleCattle posted:

I saw the new one, it’s really good!!

I disagree, singing along is fun. It’ll be cool if they add more to the song with each new member!

Actually that's a good point, each girl singing a different verse of the song would be pretty cool.

Also I'm assuming Top Hat Girl from the opening is either our main villain or our future Cure Cosmos

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

She has a cat tail. She's Cure Cosmo.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Wow, I really like the look of this show. They went all in on the children's picturebook aesthetic, and it looks great. The colours are clear and vivid without being gaudy, the character designs are cartoony without being grotesque (I'll be honest, I found the Hugtto cast's gigantic, low-set eyes a tad unsettling), and the whimsical set design and painted backgrounds really bring you into the mood of the story. Now, if they could just get rid of those terrifying CGI EDs, we'd be golden.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

Wow, I really like the look of this show. They went all in on the children's picturebook aesthetic, and it looks great. The colours are clear and vivid without being gaudy, the character designs are cartoony without being grotesque (I'll be honest, I found the Hugtto cast's gigantic, low-set eyes a tad unsettling), and the whimsical set design and painted backgrounds really bring you into the mood of the story. Now, if they could just get rid of those terrifying CGI EDs, we'd be golden.

Unfortunately those probably aren't going away anytime soon (they've been around since Fresh after all), which is a shame as I honestly prefer the normal EDs they had from Futari to Yes! GoGo.

While they're at it they should also ditch those creepy masks they use for stage shows/live appearances.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Feb 4, 2019

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

MonsterEnvy posted:

Also I was a bit confused about the "Twincool" thing until I saw some places started spelling it "Twinkcool"

Oh, now I get it! I was like "Uh...star themed series so like, something to do with Gemini maybe?"

The singing during the transformation is weird but interesting, I don't have strong feelings one way or the other so whether they drop it or keep it doesn't matter to me. It doesn't seem very memorable, or at the very least it didn't immediately get stuck in my head like the Heartcatch transformation music, it doesn't seem like bad music though. And who knows, maybe it'll grow on me.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

I genuinely love that we've got legitimate space battles and lightsabers in Precure. Also I love that Hikaru is into not just space, but also "cryptids and the occult". What a neat girl :allears:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Pikestaff posted:

I genuinely love that we've got legitimate space battles and lightsabers in Precure. Also I love that Hikaru is into not just space, but also "cryptids and the occult". What a neat girl :allears:

And that she saw a guy who looked like a Dragonball Z villain having a midlife crisis and went 'wow, he's badass'.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, assuming they run with that little fact Hikaru should be a fun character (her grandpa seems to be a bit of a douche though). They still have plenty of time to screw her up of course but right now she's already on track to becoming one of my favorite Pinks.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

not as solid of a first episode fight as hugtto but hopefully this goes good places

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

True, it was mostly just a bunch of mooks and a brief fight with a general but I'm assuming we'll be learning more about the Notraiders and how the monsters in this season are going to work next episode.