Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Please let me heal myself with delicious ice cream instead of diced up old herbs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Basticle posted:

Right, but the 45 ammo replaces all of the 9mm pickups in the game, its hardly scarce.

For me it was, instead of picking up 10-20 bullets at a time I was only getting 5-10 bullets if that. Once I got to the point of having twice as much 9mm ammo it just made sense to switch. Especially now that Mr X will no longer be giving it to me, I’m not worried about getting loud :getin:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I want yellow herbs Capcom, give me the yellow herbs. You remembered they exist!

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Coffee And Pie posted:

For me it was, instead of picking up 10-20 bullets at a time I was only getting 5-10 bullets if that. Once I got to the point of having twice as much 9mm ammo it just made sense to switch. Especially now that Mr X will no longer be giving it to me, I’m not worried about getting loud :getin:

X is the easiest enemy in the game to avoid, just slowly walk backwards when you get near him to bait his punch, then run past him when he misses.

Dodging Lickers though is another story....

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
The universal application of DMX to Mr. X is my favorite part of REmake2.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

finished Leon A. Absolutely loved the spectacle and overall fight with Birkin, probably a high point in any RE game bosses (and not many of them are very enjoyable.)

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Holy gently caress 4th Survivor :stare: :argh: :stare:

Just gauntlet after gauntlet after gauntlet... I hope the roof actually is the end and that there isn't one of those "Oh no, the floor fell out, gotta fight your way out and up again!" things from RE4-6's campaigns. I can get there, but get shredded. Constantly being punched in double-zombie grabs on the way up isn't helping.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

Andrigaar posted:

Holy gently caress 4th Survivor :stare: :argh: :stare:

Just gauntlet after gauntlet after gauntlet... I hope the roof actually is the end and that there isn't one of those "Oh no, the floor fell out, gotta fight your way out and up again!" things from RE4-6's campaigns. I can get there, but get shredded. Constantly being punched in double-zombie grabs on the way up isn't helping.

:unsmigghh:

DOUBLE CLICK HERE fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Feb 4, 2019

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Flan is suuuuuuper cathartic to play as when you unlock it, just loving melt everything with the Sparkshot

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
So why are zombies really durable even to head shots here? Was this before anti zombie weapons and techniques were developed to just smash through them with one head bursting shot?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Crabtree posted:

So why are zombies really durable even to head shots here? Was this before anti zombie weapons and techniques were developed to just smash through them with one head bursting shot?

They've never really been that way in the RE universe apart from when it's plot convenient or you have a huge-rear end gun. That's something that's interesting about RE's zombies is they're intended as an offensive bioweapon: You really can't keep them down.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Crabtree posted:

I mean they are, the shotgun and the magnum will usually burst open zombies melons in one shot.

As far as the standard pistols, I imagine zombie heads are the consistency of a rotten pumpkin so the regular small caliber rounds don't generate enough pressure to really do that much damage.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
I did it! S+ on Leon A, hardcore, in 1:59:26. What a rush. There were a couple frustrating incidents my flashbang went off a millisecond too late and Mr. X instakilled me, sending me back to the start of the labs but overall super satisfying, and the victory lap I took afterwards with the S+ reward was delightfully cathartic.

I love how friendly the RE series is to speed runs and challenge runs. I don't really speedrun any other games, but something about Resident Evil games - maybe it's how compact they are when you know where to go /what to do - just brings it out of me every time. This remake is great, I'm having tons of fun with it.

Gotta try knife only at some point. Even though I'm playing on console and don't have the FPS trick, it seems crazy effective. Even on hardcore, every swipe of a knife seems to stagger a licker, so if you swing fast enough you can do some serious damage without really being in much danger.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Dewgy posted:

They've never really been that way in the RE universe apart from when it's plot convenient or you have a huge-rear end gun. That's something that's interesting about RE's zombies is they're intended as an offensive bioweapon: You really can't keep them down.

I guess that was just RE4 and onwards, but it felt like regular zombos at least went down with a good headshot from even the starter gun. Here, they take several to the dome, still move, get up and only when there's nothing left do they stay down. And that's just regular ones, not the super advanced poo poo like mutant animals or your Mister X.

Even though in the old original REs, it was more about aiming a gun at them instead of real directional damage.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm so happy that Resident Evil is in top form again.

I really wish they had kept mercs into play for RE7 and RE2 though. I'm all about this nice balance of puzzles and horror and action, but Mercs just feels like such a integral part of RE to me at this point. I wish Capcom would just consider it a staple of the series. It would be a really good fit for RE2. RE7 would have been fun as well except for the dire lack of enemy variety.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

RE4 and onwards are different infections, the zombies in 1-3 are specifically weaponized variants if you need some sort of universe reason rather than RE4 and RE2 have different design goals and as such their respective foes handle differently

Vakal
May 11, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

I'm so happy that Resident Evil is in top form again.

I really wish they had kept mercs into play for RE7 and RE2 though. I'm all about this nice balance of puzzles and horror and action, but Mercs just feels like such a integral part of RE to me at this point. I wish Capcom would just consider it a staple of the series. It would be a really good fit for RE2. RE7 would have been fun as well except for the dire lack of enemy variety.

I think the problem is that RE Engine is such a step up from anything they had been working with for the past decade that to do anything with it at this point requires a huge investment.

Maybe after they get a few more games with it under their belt they could release more mercenaries type game modes which feature a grab bag of character models and level environments.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I appreciate whoever at Capcom was tasked with making the animation of trying and failing to fit the large gear into the small gear slot like a caveman :allears:

Mister X was on my rear end the whole time except contractually obligated "I'll let you finish up in there" moments. Then proceeded to pull a "You thought I was BEHIND you, huh?" on my way past the chief's office to get on with the plot.

His hat should be proud it rated my first Magnum usage knock off his head (I've got like, two flashbangs and that was in fleeing without the free hand grenade in records) to slow him down five whole seconds rather than take the long way around back to the dog zone.

The records room was the biggest cluster gently caress and where I needed do-overs on. Because the zombie that picks NOW to flop into the hallway seems to have a psychic link with mister X to bust into records at the exact same time.

It may be standard, but "Even a shotgun shell to the head in passing didn't keep him down while I'm evading lickers" zombie grab Mister X punches me during rated a clean kill against whatever shade of "Fine" I was on, twice :gibs:

On the bright side? Flawless sneaking to nab the evidence room pouch and Magnum before and after stompy boy shows up :ninja:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Feb 4, 2019

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Barudak posted:

RE4 and onwards are different infections, the zombies in 1-3 are specifically weaponized variants if you need some sort of universe reason rather than RE4 and RE2 have different design goals and as such their respective foes handle differently

So again, a simple "before racoon city incident, most guns weren't designed with the idea that maybe the poo poo you fired at would just be human and not some undead bioweapon". Makes me question what a remade RE4 could turn their zombies into.

Plagas can now regenerate a defeated corpse by crawling into the fallen host and dropping larva around, turning them into a cross between a licker and Plagas B-C.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I am sure it's just coincidence or confirmation bias, but I swear that janitor looking zombie model (white guy, gray jumpsuit, brown hair) is the most annoying fucker in the game. He's always the one that takes like 10 headshots to drop or grabs me from way further away than he should be able to. Every time I see him spawn I'm like goddamnit.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Crabtree posted:

So again, a simple "before racoon city incident, most guns weren't designed with the idea that maybe the poo poo you fired at would just be human and not some undead bioweapon". Makes me question what a remade RE4 could turn their zombies into.

Plagas can now regenerate a defeated corpse by crawling into the fallen host and dropping larva around, turning them into a cross between a licker and Plagas B-C.

I guess Im confused because RE4's enemies already accomplish and fill their niche exactly as they should. Making them more durable or difficult to kill turns it into a different game.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Small complaint in retrospect now that you got me thinking about zombie skulls: The SMGs don't do explodey headshots. Or at least I don't think so anyway. :(

Mr. Maggy
Aug 17, 2014

Crabtree posted:

I guess that was just RE4 and onwards, but it felt like regular zombos at least went down with a good headshot from even the starter gun. Here, they take several to the dome, still move, get up and only when there's nothing left do they stay down. And that's just regular ones, not the super advanced poo poo like mutant animals or your Mister X.

Even though in the old original REs, it was more about aiming a gun at them instead of real directional damage.

If everything in RE4 died from a headshot, you would've never gotten the sick spinkick prompt.

I feel like this line of thinking is coming from New Game+ runs of RE4 more than anything when you have poo poo like the maxed out Striker and Red 5 and the Chicago Typewriter, because the Las Plagas infected dudes took their fair share of shots, it's just Leon's aim was steadier.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

:catstare:
(I actually didn't see what you edited out earlier)

Hunk: 10m44s
Tofu: 10m37s

Oh, I also found my final missing note earlier; it was the very first one in the orphanage. I just ran by it 4+ times somehow.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

More pressingly, enemy encounters were less linear and and importantly Las Plagas zombies dont walk particularly weirdly. They can block your shots and occassionally dodge which zombies cant do. Its just different design and frankly the Las Plagas are plenty sturdy on new game, its just you go through truckloads of ammo in RE4.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

gently caress it I hope they remake 3 and CV, I'm already memorizing every single inch of the police station and poo poo purely through replays, just like the original

I want to hear Captain Canada whine about his dad and how much he misses Tim Hortons out here on dis here island, eh, in 4k photorealistic glory

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!

Andrigaar posted:

:catstare:
(I actually didn't see what you edited out earlier)

Hunk: 10m44s
Tofu: 10m37s

Oh, I also found my final missing note earlier; it was the very first one in the orphanage. I just ran by it 4+ times somehow.

Hey that was my last note too! Considering how much I play Claire compared to Leon I'm surprised I missed it as well. I found my last Mr. Raccoon too and it had been surprisingly sneaky so I had to look it up.

I missed orphanage diary chat but I wanted to highlight just how sad and ironic it was that the last diary an orphan calls out for their mum when the zombies get in. :smith:

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Asking for confirmation's sake--If an enemy chows down on a flash grenade when you escape a grapple, shooting that flash grenade will make their head explode, right? Or was that a fluke when that happened?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Started a new Claire standard run for funsies and she just straight up shoved a zombie off her in front of the police station, taking no damage. First time in basically a week and a half straight playing this game that I saw that happen with an undamaged zombie. :psyduck:

How did I make that happen?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLFapQIeHMA

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

DeadButDelicious posted:

Hey that was my last note too! Considering how much I play Claire compared to Leon I'm surprised I missed it as well. I found my last Mr. Raccoon too and it had been surprisingly sneaky so I had to look it up.
:hfive:

I looked up the last 4 Mr. Raccoons. I only found 11 after playing all four scenarios once each.

OnimaruXLR posted:

Asking for confirmation's sake--If an enemy chows down on a flash grenade when you escape a grapple, shooting that flash grenade will make their head explode, right? Or was that a fluke when that happened?
There's an achievement for doing this.

I wish I knew too. I've only ever done it during the first few rooms/areas of A or B on assisted and standard. Never on hardcore.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Dewgy posted:

Started a new Claire standard run for funsies and she just straight up shoved a zombie off her in front of the police station, taking no damage. First time in basically a week and a half straight playing this game that I saw that happen with an undamaged zombie. :psyduck:

Yeah, I've done that a couple of times as Hunk and have no idea how.

Mr. Maggy
Aug 17, 2014
I think they have to be coming at you at a diagonal as you're moving to the opposite direction in a diagonal or something. It's difficult to explain, and I've only ever unintentionally done it anyway so I don't think it's reliable. Or maybe it's just random as hell.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

one thing that i think is loving some people up is that "you don't need to kill every zombie" is good advice in a vacuum but it also leaves out the hugely important detail of you very explicitly need to know when you've got to kill something because it's going to be annoying. there's actually a lot of knowledge involved in the "you don't need to kill everything" process especially since that will partially determine how you even go about the process. if you'll never see a zombie again you can stagger it with a headshot and run on by. if you MIGHT see the enemy again you probably want to make sure it's crawling so it won't open a door. and if you will be through an area multiple times it maybe is just better to clear it out entirely.

if you're on a blind play or going at your own pace you probably actually do just want to kill a decent amount of stuff, and normal is pretty generous about ammo.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yeah, on normal you have plenty of ammo to kill everything youll see again and the bosses. You still shouldnt over spend ammo though, its fine to go into an area and do all 3 shot knockdowns and move on (excluding nest, roast em) and skip fighting things like lickers which you dont have to and then deal with things on repeat trips. West hallway excluded cause duh.

I ended my playthrough of Leon A throwing away 120 pistol bullets to make room in my inventory for the final plug to start the elevator and I had probably another 8 or so unused gunpowders including another 2 large tubs.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i think i always kill the dark room hallway licker(s) because i dont remember what the conditions are but eventually two end up in that hallway and its some poo poo i extremely do not want to deal with.

edit: in a lot of ways i think lickers are the most interestingly designed enemy in the RPD section of the game because they change the math on everything the way not even Mr. X does, although that's at least partially because of him. still tho, very cool.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Am I encountering a strange bug or is this a known thing that if you save, activate an enemy then load theres a chance the enemy will be gone forever when you reload? Its happened to me three times.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Barudak posted:

Am I encountering a strange bug or is this a known thing that if you save, activate an enemy then load theres a chance the enemy will be gone forever when you reload? Its happened to me three times.

Probably related to a common Leon speedrun trick where if you try to open the heart key door in the room with the jack handle the licker in the outside hall will despawn/relocate. Activated enemies will wander all over the drat place in your absence.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Republicans posted:

Probably related to a common Leon speedrun trick where if you try to open the heart key door in the room with the jack handle the licker in the outside hall will despawn/relocate. Activated enemies will wander all over the drat place in your absence.

Its happened to me in Nest as well, in the room with the double licker encounter and once in the sewers with the guy who activated on the elevator that loops yoi back to the rook plug.

As for that Licker he despawned and took the zombie upstairs with him, but prior to me ever getting into the jackhandle room.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Konjac (fire tofu) is horrible. Nothing more fun than slow DoTs, long reloads, and visual effects that obstruct everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Dewgy posted:

How did I make that happen?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLFapQIeHMA

Seen other places talk about this. The most recent that I read about it seems to suggest two things happen. First, it has to be a sideway grab. Both left and right may work. Second, you have to try and move away in the opposite direction. So if a zee comes in from your right and grabs you, hit A(assuming you're kb/m on pc) or hit that analogue stick towards the left.

It's probably not a cinematic near-miss for the sake of tension, because if it happens while you have a defense item equipped it will show you the prompt to use it.

e: also some pages ago a goon pointed out to me that even fully non-response zeds, like one you just killed and then shot one more time just to test if it was really down, can later come back back up. Had that happen personally for the first time. Took it down, and shot it in the back of the head one more time for good measure. No response. One second later it was tasting my ankle. That made for a good spook!

Mindblast fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Feb 4, 2019