Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Yeah, it's a weird curiosity. That's like, a rarity when it comes to major-release films these days. I don't think it changed the game, but I enjoyed it and am glad it's out there doing its thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Has anyone seen Bad Ben? It's horrible, but it's become an obsession with me and I've now seen all five (?) sequels. It's a weird series and perhaps the first film series to come into being because of Amazon Prime letting people upload any old garbage for free.

Yeah I fell down that rabbit hole a while back. They're increasingly bad, but oddly compelling. Definitely worth watching just to see someone making something they really seem to enjoy.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

CelticPredator posted:

I’m glad K. Waste showed me Frankenstein’s Army because THAT is what I wanted. That movie is bonkers and kept getting more and more bonkers as it went along.

Nobody is ever impressed by just the basic fact that, like, filmmaking is a punishing, grueling, mostly un-requiting mistress, but then sometimes against the odds someone comes along and makes something good.

But J.J. Abrams' company had the time to make a WWII horror movie in-between Mission Impossible films, it must have been real hard to get that.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

CelticPredator posted:

It needed more of everything. More nazi monsters, more of Kurt Russell’s son, more insane poo poo like the screaming head. It teased me and just ended with that fight without the villain turning into some kind of insane creature or something. Anything.

It just felt really dull.

I'm glad K. Waste showed me Frankenstein's Army because THAT is what I wanted. That movie is bonkers and kept getting more and more bonkers as it went along.

I like a film that takes its premise seriously and doesn't feel the need to escalate the third act into an Avengers-style mess of a big battle, personally. I mean Dead Snow 2 is fun but I'm glad Overlord isn't that, being slow and understated makes it work for me. If the bad guy had turned into a Resident Evil boss monster or there were thousands of nazi zombies jumping all over the place being mowed down by the hundreds, I would have completely checked out of the movie. Instead I cared about the small group of characters and their simple mission.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I need more movies directed by Neveldine and Taylor. Or at least just Taylor. Just manic insanity all the time forever please

Also once again I wanted Frankenstein’s Army and I’m glad I watched that after because it gave me everything I hoped.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

CelticPredator posted:

It needed more of everything. More nazi monsters, more of Kurt Russell’s son, more insane poo poo like the screaming head. It teased me and just ended with that fight without the villain turning into some kind of insane creature or something. Anything.

It just felt really dull.

I’m glad K. Waste showed me Frankenstein’s Army because THAT is what I wanted. That movie is bonkers and kept getting more and more bonkers as it went along.

I said this when I first saw it, but yeah, I agree, I wanted more over the top in regards to horror. I wanted it to commit to it. It's like half of an ok WWII film and half of an ok Horror film and all the ideas in both have been done to death and done better.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Just finished You Might Be The Killer which was a pretty fun meta-horror movie. Starting Cold Skin now because my transmission went out in my car and I have some days off work until I can find a car.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Ok so what the gently caress is going on with Shudder? My free 3 months is about to go up on the website, but my Prime Shudder account is still there? I don't want to get charged double for this poo poo.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I thought Shudder and Shudder on Prime were two different entities? They were when I signed up for Prime Shudder when it first released.

Edit: Also Cold Skin was pretty good. Kind of an uncomfortable movie what with the merperson fuckslave.

Untrustable fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Feb 4, 2019

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Neo Rasa posted:

I understand why most people might consider one of this other works to be his best movie, but Phenomena is by far my favorite.

This is totally valid. And I think after watching it this weekend that I may agree with Argento's own estimation that The Cat O' Nine Tails may very well be his worst. It was still oddly charming; I laughed out loud at the scene of a man totally naked (save a trenchcoat) bringing the lady he just had sex with a big, tall glass of whole milk in bed and then dramatically ripping it away from her moments later when he learns it's poisoned.

On Velvet Buzzsaw - I agree that it's funny and occasionally visually arresting. It's no Nightcrawler or anything, but it's a fun rainy day film for Netflix-havers.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
I can’t get enough military-horror movies, and I loved Overlord

I can see how if you went in expecting something else you might be disappointed, but for me it struck the right balance between genres. My only gripe would be that some of the decisions made by the characters were strange

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
The progressive satire of C.H.U.D. has become more prominent with our current situation, especially for a week where a polar vortex has cost the lives of thousands of homeless who were unable to seek shelter.

There's even a short speech where the main character tells his romantic partner that her body means her choice with regards to having a child, and he'll respect and support her decision, so she can have the opportunity to pursue her goals and career.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Dr.Caligari posted:

I can’t get enough military-horror movies, and I loved Overlord

I can see how if you went in expecting something else you might be disappointed, but for me it struck the right balance between genres. My only gripe would be that some of the decisions made by the characters were strange

Yeah it was more action than horror imo but it was a ton of fun. I really enjoyed it. It never quite gets as nuts as it should but it was still a good movie. I hope there's a sequel.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

s.i.r.e. posted:

Ok so what the gently caress is going on with Shudder? My free 3 months is about to go up on the website, but my Prime Shudder account is still there? I don't want to get charged double for this poo poo.

I have no idea what the current status of the Shudder Prime add-on is, because we got word from Shudder like 3 months ago that they'd been dropped by Amazon. But then the channel never went away, so now I'm scared to ever let my subscription to it drop because then I might not be able to get it back. And I kinda expect that randomly one day it will just disappear because Amazon thinks they got rid of it but they never actually did, or something.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Cold Skin wants so badly to have both a message about the horrors of war and colonialism but also show how totally badass it is to mow down hordes of inferior subhumans. Somehow that doesn't quite work.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

I have no idea what the current status of the Shudder Prime add-on is, because we got word from Shudder like 3 months ago that they'd been dropped by Amazon. But then the channel never went away, so now I'm scared to ever let my subscription to it drop because then I might not be able to get it back. And I kinda expect that randomly one day it will just disappear because Amazon thinks they got rid of it but they never actually did, or something.

Wait what? I was unaware of this. It's the best prime add-on. I just resubbed to it like a month ago. It's still staying updated and poo poo. Like the banner had Mandy and the recent releases (Tales From The Hood, etc.)

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Untrustable posted:

Wait what? I was unaware of this. It's the best prime add-on. I just resubbed to it like a month ago. It's still staying updated and poo poo. Like the banner had Mandy and the recent releases (Tales From The Hood, etc.)

Well, by all accounts nothing has actually changed, so we may be fine. And yea, it seems to be a fully functioning channel so I have no idea why they said Amazon had dropped them, maybe Amazon changed their mind at the last minute.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I checked everywhere and it was announced but never happened and it was never spoke of again. Weird. Either way I'm glad-ish I could watch Cold Skin, which is a hosed up movie.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea Cold Skin was pretty different from what I was expecting but it was good. Probably an example of a movie being too Lovecraftian for it's own good, at least as far as mainstream attention is concerned. It's always nice when "Lovecraftian" means something other than just weird tentacle monsters.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I don't know what I liked about it. I liked the way it looked i guess, especially the old timey scuba diving scene. I could also appreciate the creature affects but I agree with the poster above that it really couldn't decide if it was "Balls out merperson murder head explosions" or "a study on war and colonialism as told through the experiences of merpeople and lighthouse keepers".

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

I kind of wonder if it was an attempt to get the people who had it on prime to switch over to getting it directly through Shudder. I don’t regret switching because they gave me three free months and prime seemed to have issues with having the complete catalog available sometimes, but I have to wonder.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Untrustable posted:

I checked everywhere and it was announced but never happened and it was never spoke of again. Weird. Either way I'm glad-ish I could watch Cold Skin, which is a hosed up movie.

It sounds like they announced it and then either Amazon or/and Shudder realized enough people subscribed to the channel to make it worth keeping around. Even at the date they announced I didn't notice any interruption and it's always been updating like normal. I too am afraid to ever unsubscribe though.

Maybe Shudder had planned to have some combination of dedicated PS4/Fire Stick/Sling channel/etc. other options be a thing and it fell through suddenly or something.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

escape artist posted:

Tried to watch Blood Rage but it was pretty boring.

I want to climb into Blood Rage and live inside it.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

InfiniteZero posted:

Is that cranberry sauce?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Neo Rasa posted:

It sounds like they announced it and then either Amazon or/and Shudder realized enough people subscribed to the channel to make it worth keeping around. Even at the date they announced I didn't notice any interruption and it's always been updating like normal. I too am afraid to ever unsubscribe though.

Maybe Shudder had planned to have some combination of dedicated PS4/Fire Stick/Sling channel/etc. other options be a thing and it fell through suddenly or something.

Yea the fact that they announced it and then haven't mentioned it makes me worried there's a hard end-date that we're just not aware of, and one day we'll sign into Prime and the channel will just be gone.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Untrustable posted:

I don't know what I liked about it. I liked the way it looked i guess, especially the old timey scuba diving scene. I could also appreciate the creature affects but I agree with the poster above that it really couldn't decide if it was "Balls out merperson murder head explosions" or "a study on war and colonialism as told through the experiences of merpeople and lighthouse keepers".

I found myself wondering more about Gruner . Yeah, it turns out that he's really the weather guy Friend's replacing , but that got me thinking about who was the original Gruner? What was his relationship to the merfolk and what happened with him? It feels like there could be another movie just going off those questions.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Drunkboxer posted:

Is that cranberry sauce?

It's bad acting.

Basebf555 posted:

Yea the fact that they announced it and then haven't mentioned it makes me worried there's a hard end-date that we're just not aware of, and one day we'll sign into Prime and the channel will just be gone.

I'm going to email them to get an answer because this is the type of poo poo I don't want happening and I'd rather use the Amazon Shudder if possible.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

InfiniteZero posted:

I like Blood Rage quite a bit, it has a great low key dark humor throughout it and the guy playing the both brothers is clearly having a blast with it.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Child's Play thing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYIrqq8ec78
There's a countdown here: http://kaslancorp.com/ looks like we'll have a teaser/trailer in 3 days.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Neo Rasa posted:

There was def a period of time where if you unsubbed on Amazon you could not resub to shudder through Amazon. This happened to me and I emailed support and they gave me 3 free months of actual shudder so it was cool

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

s.i.r.e. posted:

It's bad acting.

:thejoke:

Neo Rasa posted:

I like Blood Rage quite a bit, it has a great low key dark humor throughout it and the guy playing the both brothers is clearly having a blast with it.

Agreed! It pairs well with PIECES in tone.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Tony Todd's hand wave during the expository scene in the final...Final Destination is hilarious.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Teenage Fansub posted:

Child's Play thing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYIrqq8ec78
There's a countdown here: http://kaslancorp.com/ looks like we'll have a teaser/trailer in 3 days.

I feel bad for wanting this to be good because it looks interesting so far but on the other hand, doing it without Mancini/DoURIF/Kirschner is a sharp turn. I'm cautiously optimistic since they're actually still using animatronics and the ramp-up to it has been ok so far, even if the premise is essentially "smart toy goes haywire"

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Oh wow I spent the entirety of Final Destination 5 like "There was nobody in 2011 with this dude's haircut."

:aaaaa:

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Pretty excited to hear about Wounds premiering at Sundance. It’s based on The Visible Filth by Nathan Balingrud and is directed by Babak Anvari (who did Under the Shadow). Hopefully it leads to Balingrud getting more exposure because he writes some pretty great weird fiction.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

James Woods Fan posted:

Oh wow I spent the entirety of Final Destination 5 like "There was nobody in 2011 with this dude's haircut."

Thanks to how long I did customer service and tech for AT&T's cell service, I knew something was up by all the outdated phones I was seeing.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

James Woods Fan posted:

Bahahaha yeah FD5 owns

I laughed my rear end off at that twist in the theater

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Velvet Buzzsaw was horrendous.

I'm not even going to bother googling "velvet buzzsaw ending explained" because I know there's no coherent explanation as to what happened. Hoboman was the only creepy part of the film and he should be Annabelle'd into a spinoff as we speak.

Josephina's one of the most detestable movie characters I've seen in a long time and I wish she got a death akin to the nanny in Jurassic World.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It makes perfect sense. The paintings are haunted and kill when you sell them. P easy to get.

It’s fine. I liked it enough but it’s nowhere near Nightcrawler. It lacked a good look but I blame it on the digital camera they used. It looked weak.

But still kinda fun to watch art pricks get murdered.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Feb 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

spoilers dude

Kvlt! fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Feb 4, 2019