Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Ursula K. LeGuin is certainly the greatest author I've ever read by a wide margin. But that's not saying much coming from me because even though I own seven bookcases full of books, I've only read about a quarter of them and 90% of the ones I have read are comic books.

If you can name a better writer than LeGuin I'm eager to learn. Doesn't have to be speculative fiction.

Authors I've already read that I don't consider as good as LeGuin (this is not an exhaustive list and it is not ranked in any order):
Kurt Vonnegut (probably best overall after LeGuin)
China Meiville
Terry Pratchett
William Goldman
Alastair Reynolds
Stephen King
David Foster Wallace
Orson Scott Card (though some of his short fiction comes drat close)
Michael Chabon
Steven Millhauser
Stephen Baxter
Stanislaw Lem
Fritz Lieber
Herman Wouk
Tad Williams
Lloyd Alexander
Brian Jaques
Jack Vance
Norman Spinrad
Harlan Ellison
Frank Herbert
Jasper Fforde
Isaac Asimov
Iain M. Banks
Arthur C. Clarke
Phillip K. Dick
Robert A. Heinlein
Robert E. Howard
John C. Wright
E. E. Smith
J. K. Rowling
N. K. Jemisin
P. G. Wodehouse
J. R. R. Tolkien
Marion Zimmer Bradley
Vernor Vinge
Ayn Rand

Applewhite fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Feb 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Laszlo Krasznahorkai
Elfriede Jelinek
LF Celine
Thomas Pynchon
Italo Calvino
Mario Vargas Llosa
Julio Cortazar
Roberto Bolano
Umberto Eco... I could go on for hours, really

And I think Lem is better than LeGuin. She’s still cool though

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Man, I dunno.

Any challenger would have to outdo both The Disposessed and the original Earthsea trilogy, just for starters... pretty tall order right there.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Applewhite posted:

Orson Scott Card (though some of his short fiction comes drat close)

That pedophile doesn't even deserve to be on an also-ran list.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

Laszlo Krasznahorkai
Elfriede Jelinek
LF Celine
Thomas Pynchon
Italo Calvino
Mario Vargas Llosa
Julio Cortazar
Roberto Bolano

I've heard of Thomas Pynchon and Umberto Eco off that list. Any particular books of theirs you would recommend? Also pls elaborate on the other authors. Why you think they're good and, if you can, why you believe they surpass LeGuin.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

super sweet best pal posted:

Oh is he a confirmed pedo now? I had my suspicions because of all the naked children throughout his books but I was hoping he was just oblivious or that I was being overly suspicious.

Anyway separating the author from his work, some of his stories, especially his short stories are pretty drat good.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Groke posted:

Man, I dunno.

Any challenger would have to outdo both The Disposessed and the original Earthsea trilogy, just for starters... pretty tall order right there.

Also The Left Hand of Darkness.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I did a book report on catwings in elementary school

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician

Applewhite posted:

I've heard of Thomas Pynchon and Umberto Eco off that list. Any particular books of theirs you would recommend? Also pls elaborate on the other authors. Why you think they're good and, if you can, why you believe they surpass LeGuin.
people say they read them so that they sound smart but no one actually makes it through their impenetrable garbage hth

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Milo and POTUS posted:

I did a book report on catwings in elementary school

poo poo I still have to read Catwings. Thx for reminding me.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

tetsuo posted:

people say they read them so that they sound smart but no one actually makes it through their impenetrable garbage hth

I had a similar experience with Infinite Jest. That poo poo was exhausting and I never finished it, but I really want to finish it just to claim the street cred.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Applewhite posted:

Oh is he a confirmed pedo now? I had my suspicions because of all the naked children throughout his books but I was hoping he was just oblivious or that I was being overly suspicious.

I know nothing beyond the facts of all those naked children you mention, and the man's ardent opposition to gay rights. I mean, he was on the board of the so-called "National Organization for Marriage". If that's not a huge waving red flag I don't know what is.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Hilary Mantel. Try Beyond Black (a magical realism novel about a medium with a torrid personal life) or A Place of Greater Safety (a historical fiction novel that retells the leadup to the French revolution). Wolf Hall is also very good.

I don't really rate LeGuin that much though, so I'm probably not your best weathervane for what will be "better" than her. I also haven't read her work beyond Earthsea, so maybe I'm missing something. Have you read The City and the City by Mieville? That's my favourite of his, and really rises above the bar set by some of his other work.

Oh! Virginia Woolf. Her best novels are Orlando (a comedy about an immortal who undergoes an unexpected change of gender and must adapt to the changing centuries) or To the Lighthouse (a sublimely naturalistic novel about a painter visiting the estate of an estranged family). Not much happens in To the Lighthouse, but it doesn't happen in a very beautifully written way.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Groke posted:

I know nothing beyond the facts of all those naked children you mention, and the man's ardent opposition to gay rights. I mean, he was on the board of the so-called "National Organization for Marriage". If that's not a huge waving red flag I don't know what is.

Yeah it's not looking good for him, but I'm really hoping maybe... just MAYBE he'll turn out to be just a massive rear end in a top hat instead of an irredeemable monster.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Android Blues posted:

Hilary Mantel. Try Beyond Black (a magical realism novel about a medium with a torrid personal life) or A Place of Greater Safety (a historical fiction novel that retells the leadup to the French revolution). Wolf Hall is also very good.

I don't really rate LeGuin that much though, so I'm probably not your best weathervane for what will be "better" than her. I also haven't read her work beyond Earthsea, so maybe I'm missing something. Have you read The City and the City by Mieville? That's my favourite of his, and really rises above the bar set by some of his other work.

Oh! Virginia Woolf. Her best novels are Orlando (a comedy about an immortal who undergoes an unexpected change of gender and must adapt to the changing centuries) or To the Lighthouse (a sublimely naturalistic novel about a painter visiting the estate of an estranged family). Not much happens in To the Lighthouse, but it doesn't happen in a very beautifully written way.

The City & The City is in my queue but I'm reading Revelation Space by Alastair Reynolds as a palate cleanser having just finished Embassytown a short time ago.

Earthsea is not what I would consider LeGuin's best work. I'd judge her by The Left Hand of Darkness or The Dispossessed as closer to her high water mark, though I'm still working my way through her oeuvre so maybe she outdid herself somewhere down the line.

Applewhite fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Feb 4, 2019

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Applewhite posted:

I had a similar experience with Infinite Jest. That poo poo was exhausting and I never finished it, but I really want to finish it just to claim the street cred.

nobody said you have to finish the book to say you've read them

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Jose posted:

nobody said you have to finish the book to say you've read them

I mean, I still listed him in the OP because I believe I got through a representative sample of his work, but I won't claim to have read Infinite Jest until I've actually finished it.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Applewhite posted:

Anyway separating the author from his work, some of his stories, especially his short stories are pretty drat good.

Guy's written stories where preteen girls seduce the protagonist or are raped. I'm pretty confident in calling him one. Though even without the :aatrek:, Treasure Box would still be one of the worst books I've ever read.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

So could Eco, if you got him started.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Guy's written stories where preteen girls seduce the protagonist or are raped. I'm pretty confident in calling him one. Though even without the :aatrek:, Treasure Box would still be one of the worst books I've ever read.

Gross.

I haven't read either of those. I've mostly stuck to Ender's Game and his Maps in A Mirror collection which, as far as I can recall, doesn't really feature much preteen sex if any. The Memory of Earth had some though and was also pretty bad in general. I never bothered with the sequels. His full-length novels besides Ender's Game don't seem particularly good.

E: actually The Worthing Saga was a full-length novel of his that I would consider really excellent.

Anyway this is not the "which authors are pedophiles" thread so please let's not dwell on the topic.

Applewhite fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Feb 4, 2019

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!

tetsuo posted:

Name of the Rose is an easy read, nothing impenetrable about it. Foucault's Pendulum was easy to read too but I hated it. However, I enjoyed The Island of the Day Before which was kind of more demanding. But I was like 15 at the time.

So Umberto Eco is actually quite penetrable but probably not that good. I want to re-read Name of the Rose one day though.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

While I'm certain Card is a nasty piece of work, open pedophilia (targeted at young girls) is kind of de rigeur in retro horror novels. A bunch of them use it to establish a sense of monstrosity or whatever, while casually clearly attempting to titillate the reader with the prospect of a sexual child. Like, Beast House by Richard Laymon has an evil little girl who loves to have sex with the monster, just to use one example.

This is not to exonerate Card, but more to point out that pedo poo poo and racism are loving rife when you dive back into the horror genre pre-2000, and it gets worse the further back you go. A lot of fantasy and sci-fi is guilty of the same, but because of the genre's implicit license to shock, horror writers seemed to get away with it much more easily. In other words, Card was just the veiled pedophile who achieved success and stayed relevant into the 21st century, while his peers in writing genre fiction about child exploitation mostly withered in obscurity.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
The Word for World is Forest is one of the best sf novellas I’ve read

Connie Willis is a really good lady author imo too, To Say Nothing of the Dog is one of the most fun books I’ve read and a real genre bender

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Le Guin is fine and all, but like half of the authors you listed are at least as good so I'm not going to bother trying to offer more names. :shrug:

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Nurge posted:

Le Guin is fine and all, but like half of the authors you listed are at least as good so I'm not going to bother trying to offer more names. :shrug:

I'm not looking for someone "as good." I'm looking for someone better. If, indeed, such a person even exists.

Lacey
Jul 10, 2001

Guess where this lollipop's going?

Laszlo Krasznahorkai
Elfriede Jelinek
LF Celine
Thomas Pynchon
Italo Calvino
Mario Vargas Llosa
Julio Cortazar
Roberto Bolano

This is a continued list of authors that aren't as good as LeGuin right?

Bolano's 666 especially was :jerkbag:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Lol if you don't prefer Calvino to anyone mentioned ITT.

Also Capek.

Not that I care what other people like to read, I just like to laugh.

Lacey
Jul 10, 2001

Guess where this lollipop's going?

Jerry Cotton posted:

Lol if you don't prefer Calvino to anyone mentioned ITT.

Also Capek.

Not that I care what other people like to read, I just like to laugh.

How far are you in Cosmicomics? Is it still gripping?

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Same with Marion Zimmer Bradley. :/

But to answer your question op, I think LeGuin is a master. I would also add Alice Sheldon/James Tiptree to the list. She was actually a close friend of LeGuin who wrote “The Screwfly Solution” and “The Last Flight of Dr Ain.”

Also a story where it turns out that humans are literally just the equivalent of sperm cells for an alien species.

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams

Captain Jesus posted:

Name of the Rose is an easy read, nothing impenetrable about it. Foucault's Pendulum was easy to read too but I hated it. However, I enjoyed The Island of the Day Before which was kind of more demanding. But I was like 15 at the time.

So Umberto Eco is actually quite penetrable but probably not that good. I want to re-read Name of the Rose one day though.

I got about half way through Foucault's Pendulum then I got tired of reading giant lists.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7IdqkaGyU8

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Labes for days posted:

Same with Marion Zimmer Bradley. :/

But to answer your question op, I think LeGuin is a master. I would also add Alice Sheldon/James Tiptree to the list. She was actually a close friend of LeGuin who wrote “The Screwfly Solution” and “The Last Flight of Dr Ain.”

Also a story where it turns out that humans are literally just the equivalent of sperm cells for an alien species.

It's not a list of good authors (though many of them are quite good), just a list of authors whose names are in my field of vision that I know I've read.

Anyway Mists of Avalon is pretty ok so far. I don't see why you'd need to call her out specifically. She's certainly not terrible.

V. E. Schwab, author of A Darker Shade of Magic is what I would consider terrible.

Just... just awful.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:
Margaret Atwood can write prose so good that it can distract from the novel, so depends what you're looking for really.

Gabriel Garcia Marquez also writes wonderful things (those ants) and probably gets my vote although some of his stuff is a bit samey.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I have to be honest, I recently read the MAD magazine reboot and found it good! I was alseep in a public place aftwerwards, though. I wonder if I farted. Probably.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

[quote="Applewhite" post="492276075"
Anyway Mists of Avalon is pretty ok so far. I don't see why you'd need to call her out specifically. She's certainly not terrible.
[/quote]

No you missed the point of my comment...she was a pedophile who 1. molested her own kids and 2. did nothing to stop her pedo husband from molesting their kids and others. That sort of ruined her for me, even though I’m big into SCA too and she was a founding member.

So I added something about Sheldon because as you said, not the authors that are pedos thread. And Sheldon is good and you should read her.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
the only good author is a dead author

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Bonaventure posted:

the only good author is a dead author

Ursula K. LeGuin is dead.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
yikes!

ghostwriter!

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
What, me worry?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

For LeGuin I’ve only read the Dispossessed and did enjoy it.

For all time best sci-fi, gotta throw GRRM into the mix at least as an honorable mention. Tuf Voyaging, Sandkings, and Song for Lya are all top tier.