Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we have sealed ourselves away behind our money, growing inward, generating a seamless universe of self.

Combat Theory posted:

It's a good thing HV batteries grow on trees with a minimal environmental footprint. Tesla really disrupting the industry.

there are so very many things about this that are amazing,

1) the "battery pack" is a sled under the car, so they're basically having to dismantle the entire car to swap it out

2) there are good odds that they have no idea what battery packs are good or not, because if they did they would have caught this in production/QA at least, so non-zero odds on getting a bad replacement pack too

3) given the cost of these things, what are the odds they won't be refurbing recalled packs and pushing them back into the channel? these are the most expensive component of the vehicle after all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ol qwerty bastard posted:

got that classic "first time using a lathe" styling

flomar

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

infernal machines posted:

there are so very many things about this that are amazing,

1) the "battery pack" is a sled under the car, so they're basically having to dismantle the entire car to swap it out

2) there are good odds that they have no idea what battery packs are good or not, because if they did they would have caught this in production/QA at least, so non-zero odds on getting a bad replacement pack too

3) given the cost of these things, what are the odds they won't be refurbing recalled packs and pushing them back into the channel? these are the most expensive component of the vehicle after all

from everything I've heard they'll almost certainly gently caress up and constantly put the defective pack on someone else's recalled car or even back on the same car and mark the recall done due to rank incompetence or negligence from the C-suite down

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

infernal machines posted:

:argh: crapple!!! :argh:

Cocoa Crispies posted:

from everything I've heard they'll almost certainly gently caress up and constantly put the defective pack on someone else's recalled car or even back on the same car and mark the recall done due to rank incompetence or negligence from the C-suite down

these are defective long-range battery packs so can they just put them in standard-range cars, hide under a pile of coats, and hope everything works out for the best?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

:argh: crapple!!! :argh:

these are defective long-range battery packs so can they just put them in standard-range cars, hide under a pile of coats, and hope everything works out for the best?

careful with the pile of coats, that might actually make the model 3 function in cold weather

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

lol that the tesla has the same tar lane divider reading issue as my normal sedan but the added feature of treating them as actual markings and not, you know, telling the driver to drive

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

hell i like the car and even i think autopilot is a disaster, travesty, boondoggle

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

how's everybody doing in here. you guys good on water? drinks? thanks again for choosing the radisson conference center, we really appreciate your business.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Kotex gets a pass this time because he belittled a poster that claimed DCTs are better than manual transmissions. Today was a good Kotex day.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Combat Theory posted:

Kotex gets a pass this time because he belittled a poster that claimed DCTs are better than manual transmissions. Today was a good Kotex day.

ew wtf

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Dijkstracula posted:

a few winters ago my parents' nest thermostat somehow got itself wedged, and we were without heat in -30'C until we could rewire the old analogue one to turn the fuckin furnace back on

and now apparently the engineers of our favourite Designed By Tesla In Fremont™ doesn't seem to accommodate driving conditions that isn't "the southbound 880/237 junction at 72'F"

never trust something designed in california to work outside california

It must have gotten real hosed up, ours had the wifi chip completely zotted but it simply stopped auto-adjusting on a schedule and acted like a normal thermostat until they sent a replacement.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we have sealed ourselves away behind our money, growing inward, generating a seamless universe of self.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

hell i like the car and even i think autopilot is a disaster, travesty, boondoggle

don't sign your posts

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

klafbang posted:

GPS is ancient. It could in principle be achieved with Galileo (EU GPS) or BeiDou (Chinese GPS). Or by combining data from multiple networks (also including GLONASS, Russian GPS which is even worse than GPS). Galileo has accuracy down to 1 cm, but only for paying customers, and BeiDou around 10 cm.

Also, all of those rely on the timing of signals, so the accuracy will be out of whack during bad weather (EM waves travel faster in air than in water or air with water) or cities (EM waves gets blocked and reflected by concrete).

i'm currently researching modern GPS receivers for a dumb project and as far as I can tell that 10cm stuff only works if you're staying perfectly still, once you start moving it shoots up to the usual like, 1-3m

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Shame Boy posted:

i'm currently researching modern GPS receivers for a dumb project and as far as I can tell that 10cm stuff only works if you're staying perfectly still, once you start moving it shoots up to the usual like, 1-3m

Clearly we need to make our road lanes 10m wide to account for this margin of error

I 100% bet some autopilot evangelist actually tried to make this argument at one point or another

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Combat Theory posted:

the number of people in that thread on team “actually i dont like driving that much” is straight up disturbing

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

the number of people in that thread on team “actually i dont like driving that much” is straight up disturbing

driving sucks rear end and i wish i didn't have to do it so much

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Not a Children posted:

Clearly we need to make our road lanes 10m wide

oh hey, didn't realize you worked for our area road commission.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Driving outside of spirited twisty roads or a track loving blows, my dude

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

evil_bunnY posted:

Driving outside of spirited twisty roads or a track loving blows, my dude

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Captain Foo posted:

A cool and good position.

Questionable though when posted to a thread where people talk about spending tenthousands of dollars extra for a "driver car" and then spend a significant amount extra to take as much driver connection and involvement out of it as possible.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Combat Theory posted:

A cool and good position.

Questionable though when posted to a thread where people talk about spending tenthousands of dollars extra for a "driver car" and then spend a significant amount extra to take as much driver connection and involvement out of it as possible.

this is the thread where we make fun of tesla tho

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Captain Foo posted:

My dude, have you heard of bicycles and public transit? You can even combine the two!

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

iospace posted:

My dude, have you heard of bicycles and public transit? You can even combine the two!

yes, we’ve all heard that joke about your mother

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Captain Foo posted:

this is the thread where we make fun of tesla tho

Tesla is stranding people all over an entire continent because they cheaped out of putting a 2$ resistive heater into the cooling loop. And perfectly normal and sane fellow owners suggest stealing air bnb blankets to wrap around the battery.

I feel thoroughly entertained.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

iospace posted:

pedal pubs aren't allowed in my city tho :(

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

iospace posted:

El_Elegante posted:

yes, we've all heard that joke about your mother

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
oh yes, I see cyclists "combining" cycling with public transportation by clogging the diamond lane and preventing the bus from passing/moving faster than a bike in first gear

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

President Beep posted:

pedal pubs aren't allowed in my city tho :(

good, those things are awful

Low-Pass Filter
Aug 12, 2007

Shame Boy posted:

We've played with Terrastar subscriptions and can get about 20cm with motion with a single receiver and L1/L2. RTK gps can easily get under 10cm with person level movement; this is how surveyors lay out roads and stuff accurately. Still need somewhat expensive L1/L2/L5 antennas tho.

Low-Pass Filter
Aug 12, 2007
put a good IMU and some there's no technical reason that you can't know where precisely in the lane the car is. I see more and more bulldozers with antenna masts on their buckets so they can be told precisely where to dig/move. This requires either an expensive subscription, expensive hardware, or a stationary base station (or all three) which is not really applicable for a car going 70mph at an arbitrary location.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

you really see that as a practical solution for lane keeping?

Low-Pass Filter
Aug 12, 2007
oh, of course not, way too much infrastructure or cost. Even then, it all goes out the window when there's construction.

Low-Pass Filter
Aug 12, 2007
also all my experience with GPS is in UAV's which p much always have a good view of the sky. Car in a tunnel or surrounded by buildings? Accuracy goes out the door in a hurry.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
just replace lane markers with thin internet connected separation walls that automatically fold down when a car wants to switch lane

im the next elon skum give me money

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
gps for lanekeeping only really makes sense if you assume that the road layout never temporarily changes

usually when the roads are so covered with salt that you can barely see the lane lines, the lane layout has also changed because the plows often don't bother to clear the entire road so some lanes are partially or completely covered in snow for a while

winter weather introduces all kinds of weird complications for self-driving vehicles. humans can easily reason their way through that stuff, but it confuses the hell out of a computer program which assumes that everything follows set rules

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Main Paineframe posted:

usually when the roads are so covered with salt that you can barely see the lane lines, the lane layout has also changed because the plows often don't bother to clear the entire road so some lanes are partially or completely covered in snow for a while

that's a good point. it seems like drivers tend to cut to the insides of curves more often as well.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Magnetic signals are never distorted by large hunks of metal continuously accelerating and decelerating within inches of their source, no sirree

Besides likely being horrendously expensive to maintain and easily vandalized, who's giving up their segment of the EM spectrum to car nav?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Low-Pass Filter posted:

We've played with Terrastar subscriptions and can get about 20cm with motion with a single receiver and L1/L2. RTK gps can easily get under 10cm with person level movement; this is how surveyors lay out roads and stuff accurately. Still need somewhat expensive L1/L2/L5 antennas tho.

huh ok, though i thought surveyors like, tended to stay in one place when actually taking a measurement

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Main Paineframe posted:

humans can easily reason their way through that stuff

ah someone who has never been to Michigan I see

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Shame Boy posted:

huh ok, though i thought surveyors like, tended to stay in one place when actually taking a measurement

this ain't your daddy's surveying

~*ghost rides the whip at 70mph while aligning a theodolite*~