Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Larryb posted:

True, it was mostly just a bunch of mooks and a brief fight with a general but I'm assuming we'll be learning more about the Notraiders and how the monsters in this season are going to work next episode.

Some places are spelling the villain's name as the Knot Raiders. Do Knots relate to Space in any way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

obvious pretool
The mooks have giant N's on their chest.

They're the Notraiders.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Nodosaur posted:

The mooks have giant N's on their chest.

They're the Notraiders.

Makes sense as anything. Did not notice that.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I both want and am dreading a fight in this series set to the Blue Danube

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Hugtto's first fight didn't involve bowling alley sound effects when Hana took the bad guys down. :colbert:

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Forgot to mention that one of my favorite parts was how, fifteen years to the day since Nagisa saw a shooting star and was hit in the head with a mascot character, Hikaru had the same thing happen to her :unsmith:

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Worst thing so far about Balala- the intern with a dictionary they had translating the subs translates 小氣鬼 to "niggard" instead of "cheapskate."

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Yeah, that’s pretty bad!!!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I mean, it does mean that, and doesn't have any etymological link to the other N-word (it's derived from Scandinavian languages), but I can definitely see why you might want to avoid it anyway.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

I mean, it does mean that, and doesn't have any etymological link to the other N-word (it's derived from Scandinavian languages), but I can definitely see why you might want to avoid it anyway.

Yeah, it's a perfectly cromulent word but also one that wouldn't survive an editing pass by a native speaker.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

So the CurePazu game updated and Cure Milky is officially a green Cure.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Pikestaff posted:

That's about what I figured, looks like Blue is going to be our mid-season Cure this time around.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Pikestaff posted:

Yay! We needed more greens.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
I was kind of annoyed that they solved the language barrier thing between Hikaru and Lala in the first episode, it would have been fun to get a few episodes of them bonding across the language barrier, especially without the healslime guy translating. It'd make their friendship feel kind of distinct to see them trying to pick up a bit of each other's languages. Of course I was expecting it to get resolved with a universal translator at some point, but I feel like they threw away a lot of potential angles for the first few episodes there.

Besides that, it was pretty good. Moved at a steady clip, had some good jokes, the expressions were great and I like the designs.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

BattleCattle posted:

Yay! We needed more greens.

Yeah, correct me if I'm wrong but prior to this I think we just had Mint, March, and Felice.

It would be nice to get some other colors we haven't seen in a while/never seen before one day as well such as Black (Tender arguably, technically Nagisa though she's officially counted as a Pink), Orange (Sunny, her suit looks more orange than red to me anyway) and Gold and/or Silver (though if you're going by attack names and the fact that Blossom and Marine specifically call out Pink and Blue in theirs then Sunshine and Moonlight would technically count, the former's suit is also a much darker shade than previous Yellows). Brown would also probably work better here than it would in a Sentai show.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Larryb posted:

Yeah, correct me if I'm wrong but prior to this I think we just had Mint, March, and Felice.

Parfait, too.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

BattleCattle posted:

Parfait, too.

Blue seems more the dominant color on her outfit but then again literal suit color doesn't always matter in this series (Nagisa's a Pink despite having very little of it on her outfit and being literally named Cure Black. Meanwhile, Luminous is almost all pink but is officially considered a Yellow).

I'm not sure what Toei officially classifies Parfait as but if so then cool, we've got a whole team's worth of Green Cures now.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Feb 5, 2019

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Parfait is a green Cure in the puzzle game.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I keep hearing about this puzzle game but where can I find it? Is it basically just a Precure version of Sailor Moon Drops?

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Yup but its Japan only so it isnt on non Japan iTunes or Google Play

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
That's sad. With SM Drops going away forever it would be nice to have something to fill that spot.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Finally watched Star Twinkle last night. I thought it was good. Maybe not as strong as Hugtto but the framework is there for a good series.

I really hope the singing doesn't happen for every transformation cause that'll get old quick. Maybe it'll be better once more join in?

Being a relative newcomer to the series despite kind of watching Futari wa on release for a few episodes, I'm just not feeling as sure as I did when I watched Hugtto.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?
All things considered, literally jumping out of a space ship in low earth orbit without a suit to try and save someone is a pretty metal way to get your magical girl powers.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Like has been mentioned before, I might be more ok with the singing during the transformation if every new girl adds additional lyrics to the song as opposed to just repeating the same one Star does.

But yeah, Hikaru is great so far ("Aliens? Magic powers? gently caress yeah, sign me up!"), the only time she really freaked out was right after she transformed (and even that's just kind of a running joke in this franchise). There's still plenty of time to screw her up of course but I like what I see so far.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Feb 5, 2019

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

You can get the game outside of Japan but it's through a different website and requires manual updates since Google (or Apple) won't do it for you. I've been playing and collecting cute cards for months with no issues, I've even bought a few gem packs with USD - Google auto-converts it to yen. It is 100% in Japanese though so being able to read the basics is helpful, though probably not required if you just memorize the menus and different abilities.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

I played it for a few months, got the aida mana carrot costume, and decided then and there that I had beaten the whole game 100%. It was very good.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Regularly scheduled Balala update:

Rainbow Heart Stone has been doing episodic type stuff charging up them stones with life lessons. It's actually pretty good about comedy and slice of life stuff, but now there's regular fight scenes which is where the animation deficiencies really become more noticeable if you compare it to something like precure. Kids still think it's fun though!

The live action show is getting lit. Lili decides to officially become a dark magician. I was expecting that we would get a secret identity plot, but nope. After the protags accidentally get her textbook wet she goes right up to them and says "I know you guys do magic, well mine's better and you are officially ON NOTICE." Then she incinerates Meixue's textbook with a fireball. From what I can read in the comments, everyone loves Lili.

Then it's back to school life episodes of Meiqi and Meixue trying to use magic to help their classmates with trivial problems but now Lili is there using black magic to create trivial problems. Last episode I watched involved her cursing the other student's tomato plants to win the school tomato growing contest, leading to our first magical girl vs magical girl fight.

The fight ends inconclusively, but that night a windstorm knocks over Lili's tomato plant while everyone else's stunted plants are too small to get blown over. Poetic justice!

Each episode ends with Xuefeifei, the Mipple/Mepple mascot type character, telling the girls whether the fairy queen approves of their actions, as they've been promised more magic powers if they earn 5 "I used magic to help people" points. But since this concept was introduced, nearly every episode has ended with denying them the point on some technicality or other, like in this case it was just luck that the wind came and their magic didn't do poo poo. So every episode ends with angry and disappointed children slapping a CGI fairy around.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

obvious pretool
https://twitter.com/animemeshoujo/status/1093821034376167424

Well it's nice to get confirmation on that.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So she is mixed race after all. Nice, I don't think we've had one of those since Urara (who was half French if I recall correctly).

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
Kirara was implied to not be 100% japanese, I feel like? Since her mom's name was 'Stella' and her dad was working in hollywood, and I think Kirara's mom mentioned them meeting while he was traveling for his acting career. They didn't really go into any specifics though.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Endorph posted:

Kirara was implied to not be 100% japanese, I feel like? Since her mom's name was 'Stella' and her dad was working in hollywood, and I think Kirara's mom mentioned them meeting while he was traveling for his acting career. They didn't really go into any specifics though.

True, and if you want to get technical there are also Cures that are either literally fairies in human form or otherwise from another dimension as well (either way, they're not native to Japan).

Speaking of which, why are Shiny Luminous and Milky Rose counted as official Cures despite explicitly being classified as something separate in their own shows yet Michiru and Kaoru literally transform into another version of Cure Bright/Windy at the end of Splash Star but only get a cameo at best in future crossovers?

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

nobody has fond memories of splash star but me is why

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Aurora posted:

nobody has fond memories of splash star but me is why

Shame, it's one of my personal favorites. Either way, I personally think the Kiryuu sisters deserve to be granted official Cure status (their Bright/Windy forms did actually show up again briefly during that big crossover in Hugtto so that's something at least, Haru no Carnival also directly acknowledges them during one of the clipshow segments). Hell, I'm not even sure they've gotten any lines in anything they've appeared in since Splash Star.

Regina is another borderline case come to think of it, she never transforms but she does have powers and fights alongside the team (including giving power to Mana along with the other three Cures during the final battle). Since she's Aguri's counterpart, it might have been cool if they made her Cure Joker or something like that.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Feb 9, 2019

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

I like Splash Star and the Kiryuus deserved better :colbert:

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

saki and mai also deserve better because they never get more than a passing glance :mad:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Pikestaff posted:

I like Splash Star and the Kiryuus deserved better :colbert:

In fact, I would argue that those two were more useful (not to mention relevant) during their brief tenure as heroes than Yuko/Cure Honey was in her whole career. Give them some drat recognition already (and yeah, let Saki and Mai do a bit more as well).

While we're at it, Yui from Go! Princess should have been a Cure as well, as should Jun, Emily, and Kaye from Maho Girls.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Hafu with 6 siblings, precure advocating for the gaijins to help fix japans population problem

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Kiryuu's got done dirty probably due the blowback from the Cure Black/Cure White fight. I think if that hadn't happened they would of got the second forms as main cure forms

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

obvious pretool
It's really more down to the fact that they're only Precure in the final hour, and Bright and Windy are also tied up in being power up forms for Bloom and Egret, so not giving them access to that would kind of leave them from being used to their full potential in action sequences. They don't own those powers so much as the borrowed them.

Their versions of those powers not being as fleshed out design wise as Saki and Mai's probably doesn't help either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Nodosaur posted:

It's really more down to the fact that they're only Precure in the final hour, and Bright and Windy are also tied up in being power up forms for Bloom and Egret, so not giving them access to that would kind of leave them from being used to their full potential in action sequences. They don't own those powers so much as the borrowed them.

Their versions of those powers not being as fleshed out design wise as Saki and Mai's probably doesn't help either.

Yeah and I think Bright and Wind probably would of been the Kiryuu's if the Cure Black and Cure White fight didn't backfire horribly for Toei. But it did and having enemy generals become Cures probably ended up a bit too risky for Toei so they probably changed course during designs. It's also probably why the fights at the start of Splash Star are very much more magical