Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
From IMDB: "A documentary about World War I with never-before-seen footage to commemorate the centennial of the end of the war."

From wikipedia: "They Shall Not Grow Old is a 2018 British documentary film directed and co-produced by Peter Jackson. The film was created using original footage of World War I from the Imperial War Museums' archives, most of it previously unseen, alongside audio from BBC and IWM interviews of British servicemen who fought in the conflict. Most of the footage has been colourised and transformed with modern production techniques, with the addition of sound effects and voice acting to be more evocative and feel closer to the soldiers' actual experiences. They Shall Not Grow Old premiered simultaneously at the BFI London Film Festival and in selected theaters in the UK on 16 October 2018, before airing on BBC Two on 11 November 2018 (the hundredth anniversary of the Armistice of 11 November 1918); it received a limited US release on 17 December. It was acclaimed by critics for its restoration work, immersive atmosphere, and portrayal of war. The film was co-commissioned by 14-18 NOW and Imperial War Museums in association with the BBC, who approached Jackson in 2015 for the project.[1] According to Jackson, the crew of They Shall Not Grow Old reviewed 600 hours of interviews from the BBC and the IWM, and 100 hours of original film footage from the IWM to make the film.[2][3] The interviews came from 200 veterans, with the audio from 120 of them being used in the film. After receiving the footage, Jackson decided that the movie would not feature traditional narration, and that it would instead only feature audio excerpts of the soldiers talking about their war memories, in order to make the film about the soldiers themselves; for the same reason, it barely features any dates or named locations."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrabKK9Bhds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXMhv7E0o7c

Reddit thread involving someone who worked on the colorizing: https://www.reddit.com/r/gifs/comments/a71s6l/peter_jacksons_restored_wwi_footage/

-
So this is Peter Jackson, him of the Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit Trilogy King Kong, et. al. reworking World War I footage to tell a story about the first part of a conflict that isn't covered in popular culture nearly as much as the back half of that same conflict or all the little lovely conflicts that followed from it. I don't know what else to say except that it looks unique and I'm looking forward to seeing it.

Asbury fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Dec 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon
Saw this in 3D. This is worth seeing regardless of your interest in World War I. The US release also has an extra segment after the credits with additional context on choices made during film making.

It's not a film bogged down in strategy, tactics, or the politics of the time, so folks worried about jingoism can rest easy. It's a incredible tech demo of the restoration technology, amplifying and distilling the human component to the Western Front meat grinder.

As the Reddit thread warns, it's crucial to enter with the right mindset since the film doesn't shy away from the images of war and neither revels in it.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010

40 Proof Listerine posted:

Saw this in 3D. This is worth seeing regardless of your interest in World War I. The US release also has an extra segment after the credits with additional context on choices made during film making.

I saw it last night. I have a lot of interest in WWI, but I think almost anyone would enjoy it. It's more of a story of the humans in the war, not the war itself.

Don't be a dope like some people and leave during the credits even though Mr. Jackson told you about the 30 minute making of after them. It was an incredible part of the film and really gave you some insight not only into what they went through making it, but also how eccentric Peter Jackson is and how much he loves WWI stuff and that this was definitely a project he was very passionate about.

"Luckily I have a few pieces of World War I artillery, as you do"

I Demand Food
Nov 18, 2002
I also saw this in 3D and it was definitely an experience.

I liked that it didn't focus on units, battles, or even dates, but instead was driven forward entirely by the seamless integration of stunning imagery and veterans discussing their experiences honestly and frankly.

At times, the realism made it almost surreal, which is fitting for WWI.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
Anyone know how wide this is going to release?

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I heard in the end they freakin grow old???

golden bells
Oct 17, 2013

This film weirdly enough had a showtime in my smallish US town. My auditorium was about 80% full, though mostly graybeard war nerds.

My skin crawled at the lice anecdotes. :stonk:

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Its being replayed again tomorrow, at least, but im gonna do hw and see andre rublev instead :/

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I just got back from seeing this in 3D and it was great. We meant to see the 2D version but bought the wrong tickets, but I’m glad we did because it definitely added a lot to the experience. There were several audible “holy shits” when the color/3D stuff first kicks in. I don’t care a whole lot about WWI (or any war stuff) but still enjoyed it.

And absolutely stick around for the “making of” footage, that was my favorite part.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Saw it once, gonna watch it again. That's pretty much my "great movie" qualifier.

I hadn't considered how the vaugeness of the movie will appeal to people who dont normally like war documentaries, gonna highlight that.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
My expectations were too high so I wasn't impressed. RIP

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Jack B Nimble posted:

Saw it once, gonna watch it again. That's pretty much my "great movie" qualifier.

I hadn't considered how the vaugeness of the movie will appeal to people who dont normally like war documentaries, gonna highlight that.

Also I think this is out of theaters now, but if you see a showing, stay for Peter Jackson explaining how they restored the footage after the end of the movie.

One particular bit of added narration they did involved them looking through archives to see what the guy in frame could possibly be reading to his troops, finding the likely documents, and reading his lips to confirm exactly what he was reading. It's the first time anyone has understood what the guy is saying in 100 years.

(guy on the left)

They also restored a lot of footage that was previously considered totally unusable for documentary purposes.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
So what was he saying?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

So what was he saying?

I just spent about 30m looking for any version of the footage on YouTube, so the answer currently is "watch and see."

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

So what was he saying?

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A VHS INTO THE SLOT. ITS CHRONICLES OF RIDDICK AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, RIDDICK. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD. MAKIN WHOOSHING SOUNDS WHEN I SLAM DOWN SOME NECRO BASTARDS OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP TECHNIQUE. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY ESCAPED THE GALAXYS MOST DANGEROUS PRISON. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY COLLEGE CLASS AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN COLLEGE CLASS CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JEKRS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE LINES AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY APARTMENT LESS LONELY BY SHOUTING EM ALL. 2 HOURS INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY MORNIng

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Finally caught this last night. It's one of the few times where I'd say the 3D version is the more likely the 'essential' version.

I'm not a big war enthusiast, so this documentary's focus on the humanity really worked for me.

It's very startling, to say the least, to see a group of men stare at a film camera, not really knowing what it is or how to act around it, thirty minutes before they die.

The making-of was my favorite part. Jackson wandering around shoe-less with a big white coffee mug in every single shot was pretty funny.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
It was on TV over Christmas here in the UK and while I was super impressed with the technical side of it I do wish we'd got to learn more about the other side. I'm bored of Britain/France.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Hey good news, the Blu Ray will include the stuff I was discussing earlier in the thread with Jackson explaining the restoration process.

https://www.avforums.com/review/they-shall-not-grow-old-blu-ray-review.15612