Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

There are Raccoons that available and exclusive to Leon and Claire, and one Raccoon you can find in the first minute of the 2nd run. All progress is shared regardless of the save file used.

E.G. You can load a save, toss a grenade and kill 3 zombies to earn the record, and then reload the save. Your record will persist from now on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Cid
Mar 17, 2005

What good is power when you're too wise to use it?
Grimey Drawer

DLC Inc posted:

how easy is it to get all the Mr. Raccoons, anyway? I found maybe 3 on Leon A and missed a fuckton. I presume they're spread out over Leon/Claire A Scenarios? Also are they counted only at game's end or can you reload previous saves to find them without finishing a run?

It can be done mid-run, as soon as you shoot the 15th one the next time you quit to the main menu it will tell you you unlocked the unlimited knife and will be in your item box the next time you load a save/start a new game.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

DLC Inc posted:

how easy is it to get all the Mr. Raccoons, anyway? I found maybe 3 on Leon A and missed a fuckton. I presume they're spread out over Leon/Claire A Scenarios? Also are they counted only at game's end or can you reload previous saves to find them without finishing a run?

Pretty easy if you both use a guide and have a bunch of old save files to scrub through

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Serf posted:

if your bioweapon can be taken down by a cop on his first day or a college student, you might want to go back to the drawing board
Counterpoint: Playable RE characters are the most tenacious and resourceful people around in a given scenario, which is why they get to be the main character. I mean, for every Raccoon City survivor there's at least 10,000 who didn't. Claire in particular spends the entire game getting more and more psyched, until she volunteers to enter an arena with the powered up version of the monster that took out a squad of mercenaries. She then follows up surviving Raccoon City with immediately attempting to infiltrate/murder her way through another Umbrella facility. Mr. X just went up against a more formidable all-natural bioweapon.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Stuff like the T-Virus and G-Virus seem akin to chemical weaponry in World War I: it's not entirely debilitating, and you can avoid or neutralize it with the proper equipment and gear, but it can be a massive pain in the rear end that can make the difference between victory and defeat in a close battle. B.O.W.s like Hunters and Lickers would also be useful for area denial—oh, you wanted to take that railyard? Have fun dealing with the horrific bullet sponge monsters we dropped off as we retreated.

They'd still be hideously impractical and would be entirely new categories of war crimes, but they're not the worst military weapons ever devised.

Maybe I'm getting my Resident Evil lore wrong but isn't the entire idea that Umbrella is basically a bio-weapon startup that is in reality trying to pivot to the creation of superhumans as their end-goal?

EDIT: Basically the bio-weapons thing is just a side-track for getting the funding to create people like Wesker.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Feb 4, 2019

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

BiggerBoat posted:

Did anyone here suss out the locker codes and safe combos on their own or did everyone go online for them? I'm on Claire B and honestly don't think I ever even found all the codes and poo poo. And god drat, thinking about how much harder the game would be without some of those goodies is brutal.

Sussed 'em out myself with one brute-force exception. All the info is in the game within reasonable distance of each locker/safe, you just have to open the place up a bit to find the files/clues. I also refuse to look up passwords/codes etc. for my first run through a game so I really had no choice :v:

Thankfully the 3-letter padlocks can be brute-forced with ease if necessary; 3 reels with 6 options per reel. Tiresome if you end up doing this on all of them but not enough potential combinations for it to be frustrating. Combo safes however I had to hunt around for the related files (except for one, because it's right there with the safe). Brute-forcing those ingame is probably impossible to achieve within a human lifespan, never mind a short session playing videogames.

DLC Inc posted:

They stack up. You find them and shoot them once and that's it, never seen again on subsequent runs for either character. So yeah, you can waste a magnum round and then just reload the save.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Serf posted:

if your bioweapon can be taken down by a cop on his first day or a college student, you might want to go back to the drawing board

On the flip side, a handful of zombie dogs was all it took to wipe out like half a squad worth of specially trained police officers and send the rest running like cowards.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Vakal posted:

On the flip side, a handful of zombie dogs was all it took to wipe out like half a squad worth of specially trained police officers and send the rest running like cowards.

Zombie dogs are no joke. I just saw RE: Vendetta and the two chasing Leon were flipping cars that hit them.

What a wonderfully shlocky movie. So much zombie gunfu. And the villian had the most Resident Evil motive ever to turn Rebecca Chambers into a zombie so he could marry her.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

I found all the safe/locker codes organically, but i didn't find the 2nd floor waiting room safe code until my second or third playthrough.

I also brute forced the sewer locker on my first playthrough, and probably didn't even use those bullets between then and when I found the code.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

El Cid posted:

It can be done mid-run, as soon as you shoot the 15th one the next time you quit to the main menu it will tell you you unlocked the unlimited knife and will be in your item box the next time you load a save/start a new game.

great, maybe I'll dedicate my next A-run for that or I'll just reload my Leon-A save.

DEAD GAY FORUM
Dec 18, 2018

the good posts were inside you all along
Lol Mr x is a jerk
https://www.reddit.com/r/residentevil/comments/amhtqr/caught_mr_x_being_mean_to_a_zombie/

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Is the double lock desk in the B scenario still the Matilda add on? cause I will continue to ignore it if thats what it is.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Alright I'm seeing some misconceptions about RE2 mechanics here, so I'm gonna write out stuff here and maybe someone can chime in and correct:
Source for most of these is the guy someone in here posted earlier who's reading game memory and taking notes.
Here's the google doc he's updating.

Intentionally undisclosed game mechanics follow:

• 1. There's dynamic difficulty. Zombies have the same HP across all three difficulties. However damage dealt/received is variable:
  • 1a. It also affects zombie behavior (incl. bosses). For example zombies do two lunge animations in a row when you get close instead of once on hardcore.
  • 1b. Zombie behavior includes falling down more easy on assisted more often.

• 2. Zombies are dead when they ragdoll BUT it often only looks like they've ragdolled even though it's a preset position. They absolutely can ignore your gunshots and not be dead. Here's a list of yoga positions your zombie might be doing while trying to fool & spook you later:
    - On their belly, arms in W position: He's foolin' 100%
    - Butt up, head not exploded: He's foolin'
    - On their back, arms straight: He's foolin but there's a chance he just naturally ragdolled that way. Look for the arm position. If their arm cross their body, they're dead.

• 3. Letting your crosshair narrow does more damage.
  • 3a. Different guns (including gun + mod) have different starting reticle spread. Means for example mathilda with a stock does more min damage than base mathilda in addition with accuracy. Meaning potshots with it do more dmg, because the baseline is higher.
  • 3b. Head/torso shots do most damage to a zombie, only headshots have a chance for instakill (zombies only).

• 4. Critical chance is a separate stat but seems to increase when crosshair narrowed.
  • 4a. Critical hit means 3x base damage. When it's critical hit on zombie's head, he dies no matter how much HP left.

Vic fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Feb 4, 2019

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

drat this game owns

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Crabtree posted:

So why are zombies really durable even to head shots here? Was this before anti zombie weapons and techniques were developed to just smash through them with one head bursting shot?

We could be going by Return of the Living Dead rules :colbert:

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

MiddleOne posted:

Maybe I'm getting my Resident Evil lore wrong but isn't the entire idea that Umbrella is basically a bio-weapon startup that is in reality trying to pivot to the creation of superhumans as their end-goal?

EDIT: Basically the bio-weapons thing is just a side-track for getting the funding to create people like Wesker.

It's a surprisingly complicated question. Basically, the company was founded around the discovery of the Progenitor virus, which the various founders thought they could use to do personally relevant things. All three of them were also old-money billionaires, so they invested their own fortunes to start Umbrella as basically a shell company for the research.

Most of what got done with the virus over the next 30 years was a series of interesting accidents, ending with the Tyrant as a prototype in the first game. The T-Virus's actual stated use is as a sort of bioengineering catalyst, because it "revitalizes dead cells," so you can make entirely new forms of life with it alongside the undead dogs and zombies and whatnot. Some of the creatures they made were intended as actual salable weapons, but Umbrella itself never actually got the chance to sell them. Most of the money was coming from Umbrella's day job making toiletries, medicines, and other assorted products. (We see Umbrella-brand shampoo and conditioner in RE3, and painkillers in Alyssa's ending in Outbreak.)

Of the three founders, Edward Ashford didn't get much of consequence done before Spencer arranged an "accident" for him in 1968; James Marcus got whacked in 1988 after perfecting the modern T-Virus; and Ozwell Spencer's whole deal was using the virus to force-evolve humans into something better.

(The "Doylist" answer is that Umbrella was just sort of usefully seething with evil until CV or so, when somebody slowed down long enough to ask why they were doing this poo poo at all. At that point, something like five different writers gave five different answers, until somebody put his foot down and the whole thing got kitbashed into sensibility by the files in RE5.)

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Vic posted:

Alright I'm seeing some misconceptions about RE2 mechanics here, so I'm gonna write out stuff here and maybe someone can chime in and correct:
Source for most of these is the guy someone in here posted earlier who's reading game memory and taking notes.
Here's the google doc he's updating.

Intentionally undisclosed game mechanics follow:

• 1. There's dynamic difficulty. Zombies have the same HP across all three difficulties. However damage dealt/received is variable:
  • 1a. It also affects zombie behavior (incl. bosses). For example zombies do two lunge animations in a row when you get close instead of once on hardcore.
  • 1b. Zombie behavior includes falling down more easy on assisted more often.

• 2. Zombies are dead when they ragdoll BUT it often only looks like they've ragdolled even though it's a preset position. They absolutely can ignore your gunshots and not be dead. Here's a list of yoga positions your zombie might be doing while trying to fool & spook you later:
    - On their belly, arms in W position: He's foolin' 100%
    - Butt up, head not exploded: He's foolin'
    - On their back, arms straight: He's foolin but there's a chance he just naturally ragdolled that way. Look for the arm position. If their arm cross their body, they're dead.

• 3. Letting your crosshair narrow does more damage.
  • 3a. Different guns (including gun + mod) have different starting reticle spread. Means for example mathilda with a stock does more min damage than base mathilda in addition with accuracy. Meaning potshots with it do more dmg, because the baseline is higher.
  • 3b. Head/torso shots do most damage to a zombie, only headshots have a chance for instakill (zombies only).

• 4. Critical chance is a separate stat but seems to increase when crosshair narrowed.
  • 4a. Critical hit means 3x base damage. When it's critical hit on zombie's head, he dies no matter how much HP left.

Lol drat, according to that the pistol stock adds a little damage. I took it off to save the inventory space because I don't care about rapid fire, but now I've got something to consider.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

good to know that regardless of HP, crit hit to the head can and will pop them for good

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

welp I’d been using Chris’ Samurai Edge all game even as I fully upgraded Mathilda because I assumed it was more powerful. that was pretty dumb.

also found out my fiancée is friends with Marvin’s VA and worked on a short film with him a couple years ago so that’s neat

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Given what we're learning about aiming and damage now, which samurai edge is the best?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

"Huh, that was easy"

drat it Leon, why would you ever say that?!

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

There's no data for Samurai's Edge base damage yet, but this implies
Jill's edge: superior speed - good for base damage output - run and pop tactics
Chris' edge: superior damage per shot - quick reticle means better bang for buck
Wesker's edge: superior chance to instakill zombies via headshot. edit: crit chance in general.

Vic fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Feb 4, 2019

DEAD GAY FORUM
Dec 18, 2018

the good posts were inside you all along
There are edge variants? I got the one from the deluxe pack.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

gently caress Samurai's Edge I want to use the "Raging Bull" custom that Kendo made Barry but never got to give him.

Can anyone give me a yes/no on whether we get a Vickers zombie in this? I'm guessing no but just wanted to make sure.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
And I'm assuming the infinite edge is just standard across the board? I'm thinking of doing a hardcore Claire A with that and the launcher since going back for the SMG would add too much time.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

DLC Inc posted:

gently caress Samurai's Edge I want to use the "Raging Bull" custom that Kendo made Barry but never got to give him.

Can anyone give me a yes/no on whether we get a Vickers zombie in this? I'm guessing no but just wanted to make sure.

There's a poster with Brad on it inside the little stairwell area room outside of the station that you go into on the B playthrough. It's in the spot where you can see him in Original Resident Evil 2 if you go fast(?)... don't shoot your weapon(?)... I don't remember the requirements.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Jolo posted:

There's a poster with Brad on it inside the little stairwell area room outside of the station that you go into on the B playthrough. It's in the spot where you can see him in Original Resident Evil 2 if you go fast(?)... don't shoot your weapon(?)... I don't remember the requirements.

No pickups until you get there was the requirement. There were only ammo (and Kendo's gun) pickups up until that point though.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

DEAD GAY FORUM posted:

There are edge variants? I got the one from the deluxe pack.

Apparently there are. I bought the deluxe digital for PS4 and it only lists Weskers. Maybe PC got the other two?

I kinda hoped the other two would be unlocked after completing the game but I haven't bothered to look.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

DLC Inc posted:

you can hear the gears in them whirring if you're wearing headphones but that noise can be drowned out by uh, other stuff going on. and you do have to walk somewhat in the vicinity of them. i dont think i had to look any up, people seem to miss the one in the orphanage quite often but i basically ran face first into it as sherry.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
With the PS4 I haven't been using the Edge guns even though (later) they were in my chest. Though my brother noticed that one time when he wasn't logged in, it just removed the pre-order gun from his inventory mid use when he loaded his save and left him empty handed :v:

Sure it came back when they relogged, but a gun that can come and go according to the whims of the internet dooming you in the middle of a zombie outbreak sounds like an MGS plot.

"How could so many trained police officers die to something like this?"
"The ID locks on their guns kicked in. They never had a chance."

Then here comes a rookie cop with a poo poo gun even the item description makes fun of, but it WORKS.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

the chris and jill samurai edge variants were preorder bonus codes. i have no idea if you can buy them separately or if they come with the deluxe edition dlc.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Sometimes Mr X can be real sneaky when he wants to. I was getting the jack as Claire, back out into the room you get the detonator in, and I'm psyching myself to get past that loving licker out there when suddenly BAM the door gets punched open and it is Given to Me.

Speaking of lickers, I really need to figure out a better way to deal with them when I'm attempting to gofast, they're easily my biggest weakness (aside from my own idiot fuckups of course :v:)

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

what were the toughest room encounters you've had? I think the room where I blew the most ammo/health was actually that lab hallway where you have to get the power back on and there's 2 Lickers right there along with 2 or 3 zombies. What a clusterfuck that turned into.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
Yo can we talk about the concept art unlockables for a moment? Namely Design Sketch C, the one you get from Genius Chemist (finish the second story lab cartridge puzzle in less than nine moves)? Spoilering the solution here in case anyone wants to go grab it because this concept art is the most interesting, in my opinion: Blue, Red, Green, Blue, Red, Green, Blue, Red, Green

What this does is unlocks some pretty baller concept art that highlights an intent for Lickers to evolve from zombies. We knew that a Licker is what happens when a zombie is hit with a fresh dose of T-Virus, but the way the zombie arm mutated into claws, it's tongue elongates, and the skin splits like a shell to reveal the Licker underneath is very cool.

There's also some cool zombies that look like those emaciated things from Nova Prospekt in Half Life 2. Oh, and some fat mutated guy in an electric wheelchair.

Man this game. So cool. So much detail.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Ms Adequate posted:

Sometimes Mr X can be real sneaky when he wants to. I was getting the jack as Claire, back out into the room you get the detonator in, and I'm psyching myself to get past that loving licker out there when suddenly BAM the door gets punched open and it is Given to Me.

Speaking of lickers, I really need to figure out a better way to deal with them when I'm attempting to gofast, they're easily my biggest weakness (aside from my own idiot fuckups of course :v:)

The only strategy I've found for lickers is know where they're gonna be and exterminate them as thoroughly as possible as soon as you can.

Also, if you do it right you can prevent literally every zombie from ever coming in to the west hallway behind the knife panel, which is fantastic for faster runs. Taking a little detour to board up the hall before I go say hi to the other main character feels like leaving a present for future me.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

DLC Inc posted:

what were the toughest room encounters you've had? I think the room where I blew the most ammo/health was actually that lab hallway where you have to get the power back on and there's 2 Lickers right there along with 2 or 3 zombies. What a clusterfuck that turned into.

The East Office, the one you get the shower valve handle in, hosed me real hard the first time through. One bitch comes through the window, they start standing up everywhere, I don't know what I'm actually looking for yet, then I find the crank and bail only to get into the hallway where big fat donut lad is waiting right as I open the door, then I find out I need the fuse and have to find that as about half a dozen zombies pinball all over the place after my rear end.

Anywhere with planty boys because even fire doesn't seem to keep them down for good half the time.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

DLC Inc posted:

yeah, that and the hallway outside of the evidence room that Leon has to go thru that has anywhere from 1 to 3 zombies, a licker, and often, Mr X

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Bitey salad killguide:

(some speculation involved) Popping all their bulbs equals 1500 dmg. Shooting anywhere else depends on the gun's damage output * difficulty. Then they take a nap and regenerate their 1500 hp slowly. They get back up at triggers I think (player getting close). They are dead for good if they hit 0 hp while burning (they turn into char + unique death rattle).

Mr. Maggy
Aug 17, 2014

DeadButDelicious posted:

Yo can we talk about the concept art unlockables for a moment? Namely Design Sketch C, the one you get from Genius Chemist (finish the second story lab cartridge puzzle in less than nine moves)? Spoilering the solution here in case anyone wants to go grab it because this concept art is the most interesting, in my opinion: Blue, Red, Green, Blue, Red, Green, Blue, Red, Green

What this does is unlocks some pretty baller concept art that highlights an intent for Lickers to evolve from zombies. We knew that a Licker is what happens when a zombie is hit with a fresh dose of T-Virus, but the way the zombie arm mutated into claws, it's tongue elongates, and the skin splits like a shell to reveal the Licker underneath is very cool.

There's also some cool zombies that look like those emaciated things from Nova Prospekt in Half Life 2. Oh, and some fat mutated guy in an electric wheelchair.

Man this game. So cool. So much detail.

IIRC one of the Outbreak (File 2, I think?) bosses was a naked woman who was transforming into a licker and had additional ones incubating inside her. She was in a state of transforming into a licker, one of her (unseen) legs was bent backward and inside out and she had the big rear end tongue. She also fought you bending backward so her naked zombie rear end was just always on display for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Does the suppressor on Claire's SMG have an effect on Mr X hearing you when he's looking for you? I wonder how much sound he actually reacts to and if it's based on how far he is from you. It's probably just a thing where he hears sound and starts heading directly for that location. I wonder if anyone has really tested it out extensively. It could be useful to fire a shot in one area if you knew you were heading to the opposite side and likely wouldn't run into him although I have a suspicion that he's programmed to never get really far away from you.