Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

DONT THREAD ON ME posted:

god gently caress companies that make me register with them them to apply.

I sort of like it when they do that, because usually it means if you get interrupted mid application, it's saved. Now job boards requiring you to register to view their postings can gently caress off entirely.

Though a lot of them don't like my "32 characters of gently caress YOU" setting on KeePass, which makes me sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
view from the new job

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer
in the context of professional development, never say anyone's "no" for them

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Good news the shutdown ended in time for me to not lose my new job hurray

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Gazpacho posted:

view from the new job

same monitor(s) as me

it's not a very good model mind you

serviceable though

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Skyl3lazer posted:

I am glad you did not get even more hosed over op

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Skyl3lazer posted:

that is excellent news and i am genuinely glad for you

:toot: :woop: :toot:

heres hoping they dont shut the whole thing down again next week

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

company i just screened with says part of the interview process is homework that should only take "a couple nights at most"

um, yes, i'm funemployed, but

mekkanare
Sep 12, 2008
We have detected you are using ad blocking software.

Please add us to your whitelist to view this content.

Penisface posted:

thanks thread, i got a new job and a 66% number go up in figgies

it's a lot less amazing if you take into account that it's only a 36% raise compared to 3y ago, but i am still happy for having this

Very nice job!

Skyl3lazer posted:

Do people who had a start date during the furlough really lose that job?

Ciaphas posted:

company i just screened with says part of the interview process is homework that should only take "a couple nights at most"

um, yes, i'm funemployed, but

"Oh cool, I would like a couple of nights worth of pay."

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
interview call scheduled for 33 mins ago. no call, no response to email, nobody has appeared in this hangout they sent me, no nothing.

kind of tempted to sit here for the scheduled hour just so i can say i can but also life's too loving short

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i'm getting the most action through linkedin, it seems.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

LinkedIn injects a recruiter or 2 a day into my inbox throughout the workweek

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
their jobs search has a ton of stuff relative to other sites i've tried.

i think i need to try and find a good recruiter.

e: i have applied for a lot of jobs today

DONT THREAD ON ME fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Feb 4, 2019

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

their jobs search has a ton of stuff relative to other sites i've tried.

i think i need to try and find a good recruiter.

e: i have applied for a lot of jobs today

underdog.io has come through for me today( i think as emails come directly from internal recruiters and no sign if they were directed there from underdog) Have 4 calls scheduled so far and my resume just went up this morning.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

quote:

Perks:
+ Live and work in one of our roaming hacker houses (X-Outposts) around the world.
+ Work from anywhere as part of a community of digital nomads.
+ Join our vibrant community, filled with opportunities to learn new skills together in study groups, join clubs (photography, gaming, etc.) and get free camera equipment/games/conferences/courses/massages/etc., charitable fundraisers, fitness & yoga programs (+gym membership), etc. This is the community to be in if you're a remote developer.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

mekkanare posted:

"Oh cool, I would like a couple of nights worth of pay."

said company just sent me an electronic nda to sign

on one hand, funemployed; on other hand :wtc: i've already got bad feels

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

the kool-aid is free!

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

said company just sent me an electronic nda to sign

on one hand, funemployed; on other hand :wtc: i've already got bad feels

an nda for an interview isn’t a red flag. you’re looking for reasons to sabotage yourself. stop that.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
I will do take homes for companies I'm fairly excited about. gently caress you if you want me to do a take home for your lovely startup a recruiter just emailed me about tho.

I wish more places would just ask for a loving code sample that we can discuss in the interview. I have a few PRs on github that demonstrate that I know what I'm doing way the gently caress better than any take home code test could.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Achmed Jones posted:

an nda for an interview isn’t a red flag. you’re looking for reasons to sabotage yourself. stop that.

fair cop, you're right. just surprised i guess. see what happens after the phone interview wednesday, anyway

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

I wish more places would just ask for a loving code sample that we can discuss in the interview. I have a few PRs on github that demonstrate that I know what I'm doing way the gently caress better than any take home code test could.

no, you see, you could be lying about those. they can get a far better indicator of your competence by running you through a gauntlet of tests that an entire industry of studying for has sprung up around.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

raminasi posted:

no, you see, you could be lying about those. they can get a far better indicator of your competence by running you through a gauntlet of tests that an entire industry of studying for has sprung up around.

I'm mega tooting my own horn here and please make fun of me for it, but I've been trying to shoehorn this PR into everything I can so that hopefully a hiring dev will see it:
https://github.com/sksamuel/elastic4s/pull/1206/files

It's good because:
1. It shows that I can make significant changes to a complex codebase.
2. It shows that I can communicate effectively with other programmers.
3. It shows that I have a reasonable command of advanced programming concepts (generics, asynchronous programming, etc).

I just don't understand how anyone could glance at that PR and conclude that asking me to fizzbuzz is a necessary step to hiring me. There are so many better discussions we could be having.

Not everyone is going to have an example like this, but surely everyone has a code sample or project they could present to an interviewing team.

DONT THREAD ON ME fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Feb 4, 2019

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
y'all some choosy beggars itt

ive had phone screens where there was obviously another person in the room who had the answers, I've interviewed 15y+ software architects who couldn't write a function signature

a PR out in space has zero connection to the resource walking in the door. the only time i actually looked at a candidate's GitHub it was filled with lovely C++ "katas" that whiffed on the rule-of-3, if I was making a determination on that alone it would've been a "no"

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
lol is there any other loving sector* of the economy that has homework as part of the interview process

*almost posted "industry" but i don't believe that term applies

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

lol is there any other loving sector* of the economy that has homework as part of the interview process

*almost posted "industry" but i don't believe that term applies

many have actual accreditation and qualification, so don't need to do it per job

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
fizzbuzz is some bullshit but the reason it keeps being used is because there are lots of people with sterling software engineering resumes who cant do it. its a cheap and easy test to filter out frauds

the last interview i participated in was for an it support site lead position (for a location running mixed mac and windows) and the first candidate who came in specifically mentioned he possessed the specific mac/windows integration certification on his cv. the first tech question we asked him was the easy filter "so, what steps do you do to bind a mac laptop to an active directory domain?" and he stammered and hemmed and said he couldnt remember how to do it off the top of his head, and even with multiple hints ("so, you go to users & groups...") he couldnt come close to the correct answer, and the interview went downhill from there

people will claim all sorts of wild poo poo on their resumes and you have to test them to see if any of it is true. theyre just doing basic due diligence

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
Should engineering managers write code? What do you do when a fellow engineering manager at a company of 60 says they want to focus on ‘process development’ and engineering directorship when they are only 2 months at the company?

I know we largely make fun of tech, but gently caress real life sucks too when people want to put in process boards.

Dirk Pitt fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Feb 4, 2019

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

FMguru posted:

fizzbuzz is some bullshit but the reason it keeps being used is because there are lots of people with sterling software engineering resumes who cant do it. its a cheap and easy test to filter out frauds

the last interview i participated in was for an it support site lead position (for a location running mixed mac and windows) and the first candidate who came in specifically mentioned he possessed the specific mac/windows integration certification on his cv. the first tech question we asked him was the easy filter "so, what steps do you do to bind a mac laptop to an active directory domain?" and he stammered and hemmed and said he couldnt remember how to do it off the top of his head, and even with multiple hints ("so, you go to users & groups...") he couldnt come close to the correct answer, and the interview went downhill from there

people will claim all sorts of wild poo poo on their resumes and you have to test them to see if any of it is true. theyre just doing basic due diligence

Yeah this is fair. I think my issue is less with fizzbuzz and more with having to solve involved problems in a whiteboarding session. It's just not how I work and despite a lot of effort I'm still really bad at it.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Yeah this is fair. I think my issue is less with fizzbuzz and more with having to solve involved problems in a whiteboarding session. It's just not how I work and despite a lot of effort I'm still really bad at it.

the good places either 1) do 1-2hr take home, and/or 2) 1 hr pairing on a actual real problem

coming up with a good interview pairing problem is hard though. it's gotta be realistic to not be dumb alg-trivia bullshit but doable in 30-60 mins. requirements clear enough that we don't play 100 questions for an hour but loose enough that a candidate can interpret it into multiple possible implementations instead of requiring that they come up with our exact solution.

at $CURRENT_JOB we basically take a extremely stripped down version of one of our apps and get a candidate to implement it's core functionality.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
my cover letters are now (almost) literally "Hey, I have skills x,y, and z and your job posting seemed reasonable."

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I'm not certain anyone has read or taken even the remotest notice of any of my cover letters--not that I can tell besides anecdotally but more of my hits so far have been letter-free

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i wrote a cover letter for my first job out of grad school. i also sent nice thank you letters to my interviewers

since then i'm 0/n on applications with cover letters

tbh that's because the alternative is getting in from some kind of recruiter (maybe even with an internal referral), and that has a way higher success rate than just throwing a resume at the void and hoping that the company's process isn't a garbage fire (it is definitely a garbage fire)

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

Dirk Pitt posted:

Should engineering managers write code?

No. EMs should have a solid understanding when other devs are talking about technical garbage, but their job is to help their devs be better devs. If they wanna scratch the itch and bang out some util or w/e occasionally go for it, but that is like their last responsibility.

Dirk Pitt posted:

What do you do when a fellow engineering manager at a company of 60 says they want to focus on ‘process development’ and engineering directorship when they are only 2 months at the company?

that's kinda impossible to answer. Is your current process awesome and everyone is happy with it? do you deliver New Stuff with few bugs really fast?

they might know your SDLC is garbage compared to a good shop, but they might also be a total self-serving wanker.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Achmed Jones posted:

i wrote a cover letter for my first job out of grad school. i also sent nice thank you letters to my interviewers

since then i'm 0/n on applications with cover letters

tbh that's because the alternative is getting in from some kind of recruiter (maybe even with an internal referral), and that has a way higher success rate than just throwing a resume at the void and hoping that the company's process isn't a garbage fire (it is definitely a garbage fire)

even throwing resumes into the void I have had maybe 1 response ever to an application with a cover letter (customized, not generic, never sent a generic one)

and like 6 or 7 to applications with just a resume. I kinda suspect they are actually harmful to your chances in tech because “lol what businessy idiot writes a cover letter”

ofc that might also be due to my generally only bothering with a cover letter for more senior positions. but I applied to same company twice, once with a cover letter and got rejected w/no interview, applied again with just a resume and got the job

I’m pretty sure I’m not just awful at writing either

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
I only ever tried to write cover letters when I was doing a career change

I don't think any of the recruiters I got ever read them

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

just applied to a job at mozilla and felt bad about submitting without a cover letter, so ty for validating my choice

when they reject me I'll be sure to secretly blame you all

mekkanare
Sep 12, 2008
We have detected you are using ad blocking software.

Please add us to your whitelist to view this content.
I wrote cover letters when I was looking for work after being a non-traditional student so I could talk about something other than computers on it, not that I can remember what it said anymore. It worked for my current job but again I'm pretty sure it's an outlier. I know for a fact that whenever a new position has opened where I am at work every resume, including the cover letter, is looked over because the devs/managers who go over them sit adjacent to my cube.

I'm not planning to write a cover letter anymore.

GenJoe
Sep 15, 2010

Rehabilitated?

That's just a bullshit word.
an engineering manager is also different from a team lead. if a team lead of 4-5 people does not actually understand the code his delegates are producing then that can be really bad imo. but it's probably safe for the person above the team lead to not have as active of a hand in the day-to-day software development part of things.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Arcsech posted:

I kinda suspect they are actually harmful to your chances in tech because “lol what businessy idiot writes a cover letter”

CL's are a jouer-le-jou thing, there's nobody out there dumping on them like this, but occasionally your resume will land in some old-schoolers hands and not having one is a rejection. they're not hard to write, and you'll use the same info to regurgitate happy facts about the company at a later stage anyway

you don't have to, but idk if you get to Not do it and simultaneously whine about not having a job v0v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

my cover letter was just one paragraph of custom(ish) stuff and then two paras of career history that was the same every time, idk what’s typical though and I’m not a pure computer toucher so I imagine it’s different for programmer/janitor type stuff