Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Augus posted:

okay but actually being fun to play would be nice too don’t you think

Hold right, easily kill everything, no game overs, easy. What's not to like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Doctor Spaceman posted:

A magic space McGuffin built by all the races in the history of the galaxy is a big dumb idea but it's the kind of big dumb idea that Mass Effect could work with. It's when you add in the Star Child and the circular motivation for the Reapers and the overwrought cutscenes and the silliness of Synthesis that it gets poo poo.

IMO, the biggest mistake BioWare made with ME3's ending was trying to implement three different options for what to do about the Reapers. I think they could've made a much stronger ending with a really similar premise--an anti-Reaper superweapon created over multiple cycles throughout the galaxy's history--and just make it so you always just use it to destroy the Reapers. Have all the ending variance focus instead on the fates of the galaxy's different species and what each of your companions goes on to do after the game is over. That would have been absolutely fine.

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

New episode of Nick Knacks on Against the Odds, a little history documentary show that became the whipping boy of early 80s Nickelodeon.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Calaveron posted:

Sonic Forces is the best Sonic game because it understands Sonic is all about goofy animals with dumb melodrama it actually doesn't take seriously accompanied by a poo poo kicking soundtrack
I love how Sonic gets loving tortured

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
Eric Taxxon: The Case for Asset Flips

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Honestly, just giving you the option of 'yeah, no, we've already proved that organics and synthetics can live in peace, and even you admit that your methods aren't helping, so let's just hug it out, big robot squid dudes' would make it a proper, satisfying Bioware RPG ending. Renegades can still just blow up all the synthetics if they want, and the hybridisation and control endings are consolation prizes for players who just couldn't get the galaxy's poo poo together enough to convince the Reapers.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Mass effect 3 turned all the AI characters into pinnochio wannabes and it hurts Edi and Legion a lot, since ME2 went out of its way to show how AI's think differently than organics and how their desires and motivations are alien to us, but ultimately not hostile.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

FlamingLiberal posted:

I love how Sonic gets loving tortured

Robotnik violates the entire Geneva convention

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Augus posted:

okay but actually being fun to play would be nice too don’t you think

None of this is good Augus. That's why it's called war.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Harrow posted:

IMO, the biggest mistake BioWare made with ME3's ending was trying to implement three different options for what to do about the Reapers. I think they could've made a much stronger ending with a really similar premise--an anti-Reaper superweapon created over multiple cycles throughout the galaxy's history--and just make it so you always just use it to destroy the Reapers. Have all the ending variance focus instead on the fates of the galaxy's different species and what each of your companions goes on to do after the game is over. That would have been absolutely fine.

I'm reminded of something Noah Caldwell-Gervais brought up in his Planescape Torment video, which is how much the writing in that game is unique among the Infinity Engine games for being unlike the experience of a tabletop RPG.

In a tabletop RPG every player comes in with a character who's probably charming and fun to engage with but could probably be summarized in a sentence or two and the DM comes in with a bunch of scenarios for them to bounce around. It's not a delicately woven tapestry but it doesn't need to be, because it's more about the journey than the destination.

At a certain point Bioware forgot why people play their games.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

The best ME ending choice is shooting the kid. Seeing Liaras time capsule message for the first time got me absolutely weepy.

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008

Sanguinia posted:

The best ME ending choice is shooting the kid. Seeing Liaras time capsule message for the first time got me absolutely weepy.

I got that ending accidentally while just shooting my gun around because I was so bored during the forced crawling segment to choose your colour of ending.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Sanguinia posted:

I shot the kid in the "Extended" ending because I was frustrated that for all they seemed to have compromised just by capitulating and making the ending "better," they just made it all way more lumpy and weird and didn't really fix any of the actual issues with it. So yeah, I shot him, and then got the hilariously petty "gently caress you, we watched all those youtube videos where people shot the kid and we're very upset about it, take this nothing ending where the next cycle just does the poo poo you refused to" ending.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Video games aren't supposed to be fun

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Calaveron posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdxEUL18ySY

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012

Calaveron posted:

Do you have a patreon cause I have Benjamins to burn right now.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

This is only Internet Personality-adjacent, but I'm seeing rumblings on Twitter of Patreon responding very poorly to their current difficulties with transferring money to creators. Is it true that people who are running Patreon campaigns are receiving e-mails telling them they can get their payouts earlier if they accept an additional subtraction of 10% in fees from said payouts?

Because that sounds a lot like racketeering to me. :frogsiren:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

JordanKai posted:

This is only Internet Personality-adjacent, but I'm seeing rumblings on Twitter of Patreon responding very poorly to their current difficulties with transferring money to creators. Is it true that people who are running Patreon campaigns are receiving e-mails telling them they can get their payouts earlier if they accept an additional subtraction of 10% in fees from said payouts?

In retrospect, it was a mistake to hand the management of our entire society over to a bunch of Silicon Valley STEMlord vampire idiots.

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012

JordanKai posted:

Something-something private business.
Something-something nobody is forced to do it.
Something-something they dont owe you anything.
Something-something Welcome to Hellworld 2019.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

JordanKai posted:

At first it sounded like a technical issue, now that makes it sound like a trial balloon for enhanced "features" for a greater cut after this is over.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

In retrospect, it was a mistake to hand the management of our entire society over to a bunch of Silicon Valley STEMlord vampire idiots.

But! Jack Conte founded Pomplamoose! These vampire idiots were quirky!

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Sanguinia posted:

Reject is the only thematically fitting ending for Paragon. Shooting the kid is the most fitting ending for Renegade.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Sanguinia posted:

That was delightfully salty of BioWare. "There's all these videos online of people shooting the Catalyst in protest of then ending." / "Make it so that shooting it triggers an Everyone Dies ending. That'll show 'em!"

You can feel Mac Walters and Casey Hudson's spite dripping off every second of it.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Arist posted:

I shot the kid in the "Extended" ending because I was frustrated that for all they seemed to have compromised just by capitulating and making the ending "better," they just made it all way more lumpy and weird and didn't really fix any of the actual issues with it. So yeah, I shot him, and then got the hilariously petty "gently caress you, we watched all those youtube videos where people shot the kid and we're very upset about it, take this nothing ending where the next cycle just does the poo poo you refused to" ending.

Yeah I found that in half a second too.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

You could tell they wanted the synthesis ending to be the main one, and I think that’s the ending people were most negative about

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

When I went through the first time, pretty much full Paragon, I felt like control was the only possible good end. Synthesis was obvious stupid BS and Destroy was genocide against the Geth. Control lets all the good you did for the galaxy stand and then you become a benevolent guardian for the universe. Like a giant Batman Armada.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

bobjr posted:

You could tell they wanted the synthesis ending to be the main one, and I think that’s the ending people were most negative about

Shockingly not everyone or even most people are down for forced transhumanism. Maybe they just really wanted Joker and EDI to be able to bone.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Screw Attack is rebranding to be a Death Battle only channel now which is like, okay whatever. But they're also seemingly in the process of privatizing all their old videos which is like around...thir-thirteen years worth of stuff that's gonna be "gone" now. A bunch of it was trash but still that was stuff from 2006 that somehow still survived on YouTube over for over a decade.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The best 3D Sonic game is Sonic Colours :colbert:.

bobjr posted:

They, nothing; That's all Mac Walters jerking off. You can tell this because he blatantly weaves it into Andromeda eith the whole fused-with-SAM thing.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Screw Attack is rebranding to be a Death Battle only channel now which is like, okay whatever. But they're also seemingly in the process of privatizing all their old videos which is like around...thir-thirteen years worth of stuff that's gonna be "gone" now. A bunch of it was trash but still that was stuff from 2006 that somehow still survived on YouTube over for over a decade.
Death Battle's the only one of their shows I watch regularly and this still feels really wrong to me. It's got to suck knowing that a site you liked has been shut down de facto, the remains only being used to produce a show whose only purpose is generating millions of clicks by presenting recognizable characters and ones from Red vs. Blue ripping each other apart in gruesome fashion.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

poparena posted:

New episode of Nick Knacks on Against the Odds, a little history documentary show that became the whipping boy of early 80s Nickelodeon.

Don't want this to go unappreciated, nice video about a show I knew nothing about.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

https://twitter.com/FoldableHuman/status/1092576229327130624

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

bobjr posted:

It really is amazing considering it was the goal of the first game's antagonist.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I do not like it when people make up lore about living people who might read it.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Arcsquad12 posted:

Mass effect 3 turned all the AI characters into pinnochio wannabes and it hurts Edi and Legion a lot, since ME2 went out of its way to show how AI's think differently than organics and how their desires and motivations are alien to us, but ultimately not hostile.

Yeah it was a real shame there. The Geth being so completely alien and beyond our comprehension and yet benevolent to the point they didn't understand why their creators attacked (and even had the Quarian homeworld waiting for their return) them was a beautiful twist in the second game.

EDI and Joker's relationship was also much more touching in the second game. The guy who completely distrusted the AI at first ends up warming heavily to her. They could've even gone the romantic route in 3 without the dumb sexbot stuff and just had their pairing be quite unorthodox.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

All this just makes me wanna play a game about a traveling band of friends (In any type of setting) thats about their lives or whatever and not really about any kind of epic quest.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

BigRed0427 posted:

All this just makes me wanna play a game about a traveling band of friends (In any type of setting) thats about their lives or whatever and not really about any kind of epic quest.

I am 110% sure there is some indie game like this that already exists

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

AnEdgelord posted:

I am 110% sure there is some indie game like this that already exists

The Last Story and Resonance of Fate aren't exactly indie :pseudo:.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Want to see someone get ridiculously excited over a small Pac-Man replica cabinet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiLqJ7QRHiA

Featuring pet rats! :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I do not like it when people make up lore about living people who might read it.

The Geordie Man sketch actually made me laugh.