Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Farewell to the GOAT American ski racer

https://twitter.com/lindseyvonn/status/1091359844022607872

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Aksel and Lindsey both, with a few days in between. Both legends, both battered into retirement.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

First day of skiing in like 22+ years tomorrow. Temps appear to be in the low 20's.

Kind of afraid of either under or overdressing. Current plan:
- Smartwool light socks
- some old Patagonia Capeline long johns (are these not gonna work with boots, and should be something 3/4?)
- lightweight icebreaker shortsleeve (can also go longsleeve)
- OR Deviator hoody for the mid
- old gore-tex pants, dont seem to have any real insulation
- some mountain hardware shell i bought from a friend. appears to have a snow skirt and one of those snappable girdle belts to keep snow from getting up there.
- black diamond gore-tex leather gloves

I guess my only real question is: do I go long-sleeve base, or just trust the deviator? I don't need a puffy at 20, right?

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

The long johns are fine. I wear long johns because I do more than just ski in them. You probably want another mid-layer, or a puffy but it just honestly depends on how hot or cold you run. edit: or yeah just run the hoodie over the shirt.

How thick are the long johns? The other issue you may run into with goretex pants and only lj’s is your rear end getting cold on the lift.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Dangerllama posted:

How thick are the long johns? The other issue you may run into with goretex pants and only lj’s is your rear end getting cold on the lift.

I would call them mid-weight. They aren't as thin as a light merino or silk at all.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

yeah at those temps I'd wear a heavier fleece-lined pair of long johns under my shell pants, thin ones wouldn't cut it for me

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Has anyone tried latex gloves as liners? Apparently this is a fly fishing hack. Lately my hands have been getting cold as poo poo on the hill, with or without warmers.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

that sounds awful, you'd get zero breath-ability

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

That’s kind of the point though. I somehow came down with Raynaud’s a few years ago and am still trying to solve for it. This is definitely not recommended for people with normal circulatory systems.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Dangerllama posted:

That’s kind of the point though. I somehow came down with Raynaud’s a few years ago and am still trying to solve for it. This is definitely not recommended for people with normal circulatory systems.

Mittens?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Yeah, this. Cold wins over gloves with divide and conquer, your fingers don't get to share the heat. Using vapor traps is more of a polar technique where there's no moisture in the air and your sweat is very valuable heat that escapes easily, but in temperate climes, even quite cold ones, it's just about selecting the right garment.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

I’m honestly not sure how to respond to the suggestion that I should try mittens.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Feb 2, 2019

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies

Dangerllama posted:

Has anyone tried latex gloves as liners? Apparently this is a fly fishing hack. Lately my hands have been getting cold as poo poo on the hill, with or without warmers.
It's awful and my hands always end uncomfortably sweaty and that my gloves end up sliding on my hands if I'm not paying attention. Definitely would recommend mittens over this option.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Dangerllama posted:

I’m honestly not sure how to respond to the suggestion that I should try mittens.

Mittens own. I had a pair of Gordini mitts that even have a pocket for a hot hands heater which resides on the back of your fingers. Most of the heater pockets are on the palm or otherwise useless location.

I never used the heater pocket and I always had them open for extra ventilation because they were that warm.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Dangerllama posted:

Obviously you have never lived in Colorado your whole life. Never skied neither.

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?

Dangerllama posted:

Have you tried standard liners inside your mittens?

Latex is miserable.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Mittens + Liners. Let your fingers melt.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Dangerllama posted:

I'm honestly not sure how to respond to the implication that suggesting mittens is somehow unreasonable.

I meant it in earnest; not sure what you mean by your response ("obviously I've already tried that and it didn't work"?)

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Steve French posted:

I'm honestly not sure how to respond to the implication that suggesting mittens is somehow unreasonable.

I meant it in earnest; not sure what you mean by your response ("obviously I've already tried that and it didn't work"?)

I’ve always had cold hands and feet, and in temps below 20° usually switch to mittens with liners, and hand warmers stuck in them.

About two years ago, I had a really bad scare up at RMNP (Hidden Valley). Wind chill was ~20 below and we wound up staying above tree-line for far too long. I thought I’d gotten frost bite on my nose (“Homie, you should get inside.
Your nose is super white.”). Not sure if it was causal or just finally made me notice, but shortly thereafter I was diagnosed with raynaud’s. In almost situations below 30° my hands just do. not. stay warm. Hand warmers help somewhat, but my fingers still turn to ice blocks. It’s also made me really gun shy about stuff I would historically brush off — hurting hands/numb hands/numb feet/etc.

I’ve purchased boot warmers — they are marginally helpful. And do continue to search for a better pair of mittens. I’ve currently got my eye on the Hestras. But I’m also looking for unorthodox solutions that have worked for others. I recently came across an Instagram post from Pat Dorsey (the Glen Plake of fly fishing here in Colorado) who mentioned that latex gloves were a game changer for winter fly fishing. Obviously the two activities are somewhat different, since you don’t have to stick your hands into a river all the time while skiing. (Or, if you’re me, you don’t get to stick them in the river while fly fishing much either :smith:) but I’m definitely into unorthodox territory these days in search of a solution.

Anyway, this is all by way of saying that yes, I am aware that mittens are a thing and are warmer than gloves. As spwrozek alluded to (and I’ve mentioned), I grew up in Colorado. So the suggestion to check out mittens just reads funny. It’s a bit like asking asking a mechanic whose car won’t start if it has gas in it. I know you didn’t mean it like that and I probably should have just said “yeah, I’ve tried them but they don’t work for me like they work for others.” So that’s on me.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Feb 2, 2019

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
You know who doesn’t have cold hands

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Dangerllama posted:

Anyway, this is all by way of saying that yes, I am aware that mittens are a thing and are warmer than gloves.

Latex gloves for skiing sounds like a terrible idea.

Hestra make some mittens with a felt liner made from goat hair which is great in the cold.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Dangerllama posted:

I’ve always had cold hands and feet, and in temps below 20° usually switch to mittens with liners, and hand warmers stuck in them.

About two years ago, I had a really bad scare up at RMNP (Hidden Valley). Wind chill was ~20 below and we wound up staying above tree-line for far too long. I thought I’d gotten frost bite on my nose (“Homie, you should get inside.
Your nose is super white.”). Not sure if it was causal or just finally made me notice, but shortly thereafter I was diagnosed with raynaud’s. In almost situations below 30° my hands just do. not. stay warm. Hand warmers help somewhat, but my fingers still turn to ice blocks. It’s also made me really gun shy about stuff I would historically brush off — hurting hands/numb hands/numb feet/etc.

I’ve purchased boot warmers — they are marginally helpful. And do continue to search for a better pair of mittens. I’ve currently got my eye on the Hestras. But I’m also looking for unorthodox solutions that have worked for others. I recently came across an Instagram post from Pat Dorsey (the Glen Plake of fly fishing here in Colorado) who mentioned that latex gloves were a game changer for winter fly fishing. Obviously the two activities are somewhat different, since you don’t have to stick your hands into a river all the time while skiing. (Or, if you’re me, you don’t get to stick them in the river while fly fishing much either :smith:) but I’m definitely into unorthodox territory these days in search of a solution.

Anyway, this is all by way of saying that yes, I am aware that mittens are a thing and are warmer than gloves. As spwrozek alluded to (and I’ve mentioned), I grew up in Colorado. So the suggestion to check out mittens just reads funny. It’s a bit like asking asking a mechanic whose car won’t start if it has gas in it. I know you didn’t mean it like that and I probably should have just said “yeah, I’ve tried them but they don’t work for me like they work for others.” So that’s on me.

Understood; my wife has Reynaud's, and so I at least sort of know how difficult that is. She's picked up a pair of hestra mittens which have done pretty well for her, though that's in Tahoe which (to my upstate NY roots, and presumably yours in CO) is relatively warm.

As someone who doesn't usually have a ton of trouble with cold I don't have much more to add that I'd expect to be helpful since it seems like you've tried everything I can probably think of, but I'd imagine a nice set of hestra mittens with their various liners and covers is one of the better bets. Good luck

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Hestra make heated gloves. I don't know how they work, I've only laughed at people in the lift line wearing them, but I do know they exist.

I personally just take those little heated packs when it gets way too cold for my race gloves.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Yeah, so long to her. So broken she couldn't finish a race without pain this season. It's a shame she'll never get the record, but she's the winningest woman ever, and it's harder in Downhill than Slalom like Stenmark. Shiffrin will almost certainly break the record anyway, since she's already at 55 or 56.

Hirscher has a new competitor on the men's side - a 21 year old French slalom skier who's 6'3! Which is gigantic for a slalom athlete.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WH5tBDvg9FQ

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
https://imgur.com/a/d9pwDmE

We really need some snow in south central AK but any sunny day at alyeska is pretty nice.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I skied. It was fun enough. My instructor kinda sucked. Any advice for videos or books or whatever to learn from between now and the next time I go? My wife and I have two half day lessons left in the sequence.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Innsbruck, Austia. Holy poo poo what a great place. I will ski there in the near future. Go there.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

kiimo posted:

Innsbruck, Austia. Holy poo poo what a great place. I will ski there in the near future. Go there.

I went there last year with my wife! It was amazing. It's the only non United States skiing I have ever done and I loved the experience.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

On that topic, I’ll be skiing the Aravis resorts in February (because Swiss and Austrian school holidays meant near zero reasonable lodging availability.)

Looking forward to it! (Especially after realizing that, for future purposes, it’s not actually much more expensive if at all to ski in the Alps for me than it is to ski out west given the differential in lift ticket pricing and lodging.)

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

ShaneB posted:

I skied. It was fun enough. My instructor kinda sucked. Any advice for videos or books or whatever to learn from between now and the next time I go? My wife and I have two half day lessons left in the sequence.

What sucked about it?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Dangerllama posted:

What sucked about it?

He was just kind of an rear end in a top hat to people and didn't give any real answers to questions.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

ShaneB posted:

Just say you want a different instructor, preferably someone fully certified.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Pretty amazing storm skiing day at Squaw. Visibility wasn’t great, but worth it for the pow and unlimited refills

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Disinterested posted:

Just say you want a different instructor, preferably someone fully certified.

The way instructors work made me unable to assess this person beforehand. But there are dozens of these people and you aren't assigned anyone beforehand so I don't think I'll see him again.

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?

ShaneB posted:

He was just kind of an rear end in a top hat to people and didn't give any real answers to questions.

Do you still have any questions?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

https://twitter.com/PlacerSheriff/status/1092164638945374208

https://twitter.com/NWSHanford/status/1092305481681567745

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Stranded at Squaw and seems extremely unlikely that anything will open today. Hoping that if we are forced to stay overnight I could at least get some turns on Tuesday but who knows

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
Blarg, when is the crazy poo poo gonna hit the PNW? I haven't been in anything properly deep this year.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Dangerllama posted:

Huh, I didn't know Reynaud's was a thing, but those are my symptoms, getting worse as I've gotten older. I wear light gloves when I'm walking around in ~50deg temps and mittens sub 30degs now. My wife got me Oyuki Sencho mitts for our anniversary back in November and I've been in low single digits + wind chill and combined with liners are downright warm. I laced up my snowboard boots outside just wearing the liners and my hands were like blocks of ice inside of 10 minutes, but they warmed up fast once I put the mitts on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

It seems like yesterday someone predicted a poo poo winter this year. 81" on top of Mammoth in this storm not counting today or tomorrow. Feet upon feet upon feet. Open till mid July I bet.