Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slurps Mad Rips
Jan 25, 2009

Bwaltow!

ratbert90 posted:

I used to use CMake, but then I switched to Meson.
I don't think I will ever go back to CMake except as a thin wrapper to call meson so I can use CLion.

the author of meson is cool and chill and i like the new logo. the recently added support for cmake in meson is pretty good too. the only reason im doing all this work is that there is some stuff i need meson to do that it cant right now. i think im also waiting on the wrapdb support to allow naming local directories

also i wish i could just dump a json/yaml/toml/whatever the gently caress file into meson for basic key-value pair definitions but oh well

once im done with this cmake project i can start working on my 'modern' build system in earnest again :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I finished writing all my programs for scraping data from McDonald's, Subway, Walmart, Walgreens, CVS Pharmacy, U.S. Bank, and Fifth Third. Essentially, I wrote a lot of scraping classes from scratch which involve calculating finer coordinates over a grid, and also one which spiders over a business directory. It's going to take a few days to run them and collect the latest data, then I'll put them online, since I already finished making the website. After that, I'll register as an official business, sign the business up for a PayPal account, and take out $50 in Google Ads. The Google Ads buy comes with some deal where they throw in an extra $100 in ads if the ad placements do well enough.

I put about 900 hours into the project so far, so I hope it works. I've run into a lot of problems, like at first I cached files with the file names using the querystring from the request, then I got a bug the first time I ran into a URL longer than 255 characters, the maximum file name length, and then it took eleven hours to work around that and switch to another system. If it doesn't work, at least I can call it a challenging and engaging hobby.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

that's great, but uh, what is the service you're selling, again?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

are you making one of those annoying seo sites that pollute my googling? pls dont

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

NihilCredo posted:

AstuteCat
May 4, 2007

NihilCredo posted:

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

I just did a side project that uses headless chome to scrape a very poorly made asp web forms site of public records. it had a cheap captcha component that I solved by downloading the audio sample and transcribing it with some AWS speech to text service

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

lol nice

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

AWWNAW posted:

I just did a side project that uses headless chome to scrape a very poorly made asp web forms site of public records. it had a cheap captcha component that I solved by downloading the audio sample and transcribing it with some AWS speech to text service

cool. when is your forums search engine going to be available?

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

NihilCredo posted:

I'll be selling CSV files containing scraped location data, competing with https://www.aggdata.com https://www.redliondata.com and https://www.scrapehero.com/store/shop/
The third one is the latest entrant to the market other than me, I feel reasonably sure. I'll also take web scraping job suggestions. As long as I can resell the collected data to other people, it'll be cheaper to people than paying an hourly rate because I'll be charging the flat $50-$100 fee, but I'll also be willing to work at an hourly rate if the client doesn't want the data shared with anyone else. Aggdata.com makes about $2.1m in annual revenue, so it'd be great if I could get a fraction of that. I think I'll eventually transition to a GIS or custom mapmaking service, something so that I'm not in direct competition with three other businesses

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Feb 4, 2019

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

So I've been learning AWS for the new gig, and I'm going for one if the certs. The dude teaching the course talks about how he fuckin loves Lambda, but when I was messing around with it it was a pain in the dick to debug. Is there a way to make it more tolerable? Does anyone even use it in the real world?

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

Skyl3lazer posted:

So I've been learning AWS for the new gig, and I'm going for one if the certs. The dude teaching the course talks about how he fuckin loves Lambda, but when I was messing around with it it was a pain in the dick to debug. Is there a way to make it more tolerable? Does anyone even use it in the real world?

using lambda without some helper framework is a pain in the rear end. but yes people use it in the real world. it’s great for small event driven functions and it’s super cheap

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
yeah lamda owns for responding to lifecycle events

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
any of yall have a good reference for advanced pytest usage?

ive used it a lot but my new job uses fixtures which are apparently invoked through lovely magic parameters??? why is this even a thing and how am i supposed to read this?

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
loving everything in python is lovely magic parameters (with no docs)

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

gonadic io posted:

loving everything in python is lovely magic parameters (with no docs)

yeah i know everyone thinks it's the least terrible of the scripting langs, and honestly it may be, but i think this says more about other scripting languages than it does about python.

honestly it feels like we're due for a few new mainstream scripting langs. like what are the big ones now:

- javascript
- ruby
- python
- perl/php/lol

they're all bad! and could be so much better!

DONT THREAD ON ME fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Feb 4, 2019

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

DONT THREAD ON ME posted:

yeah i know everyone thinks it's the least terrible of the plangs, and honestly it may be, but i've never really liked using it.

It's fine as long as you don't try to use it as a full-featured object-oriented language, that's where the type system really breaks down.

I don't mean defining container classes and basic things like that, more interfaces and situations where you have multiple types that look very similar and/or complex type hierarchies, at which point even type-hinting every function is not enough (and half the libraries you use probably never bothered with it in the first place, anyway).

e:
I could do with a language that's basically python but has a more restrictive type system, oh and less reflection that too.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Feb 4, 2019

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Private Speech posted:

It's fine as long as you don't try to use it as a full-featured object-oriented language, that's where the type system really breaks down.

I don't mean defining container classes and basic things like that, more interfaces and situations where you have multiple types that look very similar and/or complex type hierarchies, at which point even type-hinting every function is not enough (and half the libraries you use probably never bothered with it in the first place, anyway).

e:
I could do with a properly statically-typed python though.

Yeah, same poo poo I dealt with in large ruby projects. I guess it's just a matter of comfort.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

One time when I was working at a company that may or may not have a name similar to LEG I came across a python script which generated HTML by dynamically creating a new class every time you added another tag. I'm sure it looked very elegant from a functional perspective but when I get OOM crashes generating simple reports on a 4GB server you've probably hosed up.

I know that's not entirely python's fault, but still.

e: oh and the script already used django for some of the backend work, using the templating system was too pedestrian I guess

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Feb 4, 2019

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
compile time metaprogramming is the only moral metalprogramming

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

compile time metaprogramming is the only moral metalprogramming

funny thing is that they were testing reports for in-house compiler performance

which may actually explain it a bit

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
I like how nim does it and gives you access to the AST that is treated and looks like regular code

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

I like how nim does it and gives you access to the AST that is treated and looks like regular code

oh that looks really neat, I don't think I've ever looked into nim before even if I vaguely remember the name

I might use that for some next thing I'll write

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Feb 4, 2019

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

is it like lisp/scheme/racket?

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

Symbolic Butt posted:

it’s uh, like ruby sort of except it has decent types and compiles to C. has customization like disabling the GC and doing memory management yourself or using reference counting.

it’s a cool language and while I don’t have any use for it professionally, I donate monthly to the project because it’s really cool.

https://nim-lang.org/docs/macros.html

it’s actually pretty cool

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

Private Speech posted:

oh that looks really neat, I don't think I've ever looked into nim before even if I vaguely remember the name

I might use that for some next thing I'll write

it used to be named “nimrod” after the biblical character, but a bunch of idiot nerds said it wasn’t professional to use an insult as a programming language (bugs bunny used it at one point and the joke flew over peoples heads and so here we are)

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
urgh lua is aggressively terrible in every way possible. dear everybody in the world: i know it's easy to embed lua but please have some consideration for your users and pick literally anything else instead. scheme, javascript, python, gently caress even perl would be better, goddamn this language is bad

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I like prototype inheritance in lua, the implementation actually makes some sense. compare to javascript's which is completely broken and useless

but I know "better than javascript" is not exactly a high bar

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
also love2d is pretty neat

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
nim is pretty appealing. it's not exciting enough to get me to early adopt but i'd use it.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

yeah i know everyone thinks it's the least terrible of the scripting langs, and honestly it may be, but i think this says more about other scripting languages than it does about python.

honestly it feels like we're due for a few new mainstream scripting langs. like what are the big ones now:

- javascript
- ruby
- python
- perl/php/lol

they're all bad! and could be so much better!

*in Shaggar voice* "PowerShell"

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
powershell is bad but its probably the least bad shell scripting language

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i wish to know how to kindle the shaggar-signal

is it something to do with bikes? do i sacrifice a bicyclist?

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

it used to be named “nimrod” after the biblical character, but a bunch of idiot nerds said it wasn’t professional to use an insult as a programming language (bugs bunny used it at one point and the joke flew over peoples heads and so here we are)

I always thought it was named after the Green Day album

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

Symbolic Butt posted:

s expressions and macros. name a more homoiconic duo. go ahead, I’ll wait

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

AWWNAW posted:

s expressions and macros. name a more homoiconic duo. go ahead, I’ll wait

S3 and S4 objects in R

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Shaggar posted:

powershell is bad but its probably the least bad shell scripting language

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

every time I use PowerShell (usually for some garbage text file manipulation once a year) I'm kind of impressed by what it can do like chaining functions but am also simultaneously disgusted by its syntax

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
i wonder if you could hook python up to like typescript or flow or another such bolt-on type system

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
mypy?