Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
Mine's fun, but I advise you to drive or at least sit in one before you get real excited about it. There's lots of engine swaps (I'm currently thinking a 3.4L V6 from a mid-2000's GM, as a 3800 or LS4 require more fab work or paying someone else to do it), but the manual transaxles aren't strong. There's options but you have to decide how much power you want to build for. Automatics are easier from a "don't break when you floor it" perspective I think.

But, yeah.

Pop. Up. Headlights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Honda K series. There I said it. Or Cobalt SS. But I hear Fieros run hot as is so I would want to stick with NA.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

boxen posted:

Mine's fun, but I advise you to drive or at least sit in one before you get real excited about it. There's lots of engine swaps (I'm currently thinking a 3.4L V6 from a mid-2000's GM, as a 3800 or LS4 require more fab work or paying someone else to do it), but the manual transaxles aren't strong. There's options but you have to decide how much power you want to build for. Automatics are easier from a "don't break when you floor it" perspective I think.

But, yeah.

Pop. Up. Headlights.

Disclosure: a friend of mine has literally a dozen of the things in various states. He used to sell Fiero parts and fix them. His living room is full of shelving loaded with parts (he's single, obviously.) His daily was an '88 Formula with a lightly modified 2.8, but it needs a clutch right now, and he doesn't have a place to work on it - because the only concrete at his house is covered by an '88 GT that needs an engine (and has TSW Blade wheels!) and a bunch of dead motorcycles. I keep telling him to drag it to my place and we'll drop the subframe and do the clutch and motor mounts, but he won't for whatever reason. I could probably filcj one of his Fieros for cheap, and slap together a running one from all the parts.
As far as sitting in one, it was my understanding that the head designer/engineer purposely designed the car so that a 6'+ person could use it, he being of a height. It has been many years since I sat in one, though, so good point.
My friend has gone on at length about the engine options, including a particular year of the 3.4 from a Venture (I think) that will bolt up without modification. Most of them need to have bolt holes for the starter drilled and tapped on existing pads, as I understand it.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

We need a goon Fiero thread. I nominate Fuzzkill.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I wish I had the money to nominate myself. The fiero is the American version of my obsession with bad cars

TwoogBuk LLC
Jan 4, 2019

Plinkey posted:

Hospitals also do this. I worked a temp summer job driving a focus station wagon all over the county picking up stuff like blood samples and biopsies from doctor's offices. Probably around 200-250 miles a day 6 days a week.

The cars looked like they were in good shape but had around 200k + miles after 3 ish years.

I chose the professional people mover option for the points that it still has 8 seats, and has holes in the dash. Medical would probably leave evidence of fridge installation, and it has no cargo space. Still, we're only speculating.

It sold for $909

TwoogBuk LLC
Jan 4, 2019

Powershift posted:

I got this in my suggestions, and the dude seems to be blowing up restoring a crappy fiero

Cool car. I think there's some VW influence in there. One question. Why did they use the transmission tunnel from a NASCAR?

Not a criticism, I like it.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
A 300ZX with a V8 swap. That hood bulge is something else, is it literally a sink?

https://louisville.craigslist.org/cto/d/new-albany-1986-nissan-300-zx-with/6788481253.html

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TwoogBuk LLC
Jan 4, 2019

A fish pond

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Makes sense that is quite a redneck area.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

TwoogBuk LLC posted:

Cool car. I think there's some VW influence in there. One question. Why did they use the transmission tunnel from a NASCAR?

Not a criticism, I like it.

Transmission tunnel on Fiero? I think they made it tall to add chassis stiffness?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

The cool thing about the Fiero is you had to actually look up to see the license plate in front of you.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Coredump posted:

Transmission tunnel on Fiero? I think they made it tall to add chassis stiffness?

The fuel tank is in there. Watch the second? video where the clean out the tank and replace the fuel pump.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Darchangel posted:

The fuel tank is in there. Watch the second? video where the clean out the tank and replace the fuel pump.

Yeah, it's tall there because that's where the (tiny 11 gallon) fuel tank is. From a strictly engineering perspective, it's a great place since the CoG of the car doesn't change with varying fuel load, but on a car like a Fiero it doesn't matter.

Edit: It's been a couple of pages, here's mine. Flew to Boise, tried to drive to Portland. Paid I think $1100 and the transmission died on the way home.

boxen fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Feb 1, 2019

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

So did they make the tunnel tall to add stiffness and then put the gas tank there because it became a good spot for the gas tank? I think the center tunnel was always designed with a dual purpose of add stiffness to chassis and we will put the fuel tank there.

quote:

Aldikacti was aware of these issues, but he couldn’t afford to sacrifice the cost savings of bodying the P-car in plastic, rather than steel. ENTECH and Pontiac ultimately developed a novel “space frame” concept for the P-car’s structure, a welded steel unibody with bolt-on plastic panels. In concept, it was comparable to the old Citroën DS and Rover P6, both of which were also unibody designs with unstressed body panels (albeit in steel, not plastic). Pontiac broke new ground, however, with the engineering process. In a brainstorming session with his manufacturing people, Aldikacti concocted a unique “drill and mill” process to rigidly affix body mounts to the unitary structure, allowing the plastic panels to be attached with great precision.

The space frame was very rigid, incorporating a wide, stiff central spine that contained the car’s 10.2-gallon (38.6-liter) fuel tank. As with the driveshaft tunnel of the 1958 Ford Thunderbird (which served a similar structural function), the spine extended up into the cabin, where the stylists disguised it with a tall center console. The frame’s wide outer sills, meanwhile, incorporated passages for the coolant lines, which connected the engine to the nose-mounted radiator. The engine and transaxle were carried on a rubber-isolated cradle, mounted behind the passenger compartment.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
drift tax is alive and well in my state though sadly this is the cleanest listing in over a year:

TwoogBuk LLC
Jan 4, 2019

Darchangel posted:

An engine known to self ignite and a fuel tank by your knee .... what's not to love?

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

TwoogBuk LLC posted:

An engine known to self ignite and a fuel tank by your knee .... what's not to love?

Sorry, I think you're looking for the Automotive Sanity forum down the way.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
It's inspired by the porsche 914

Carlinator
Feb 12, 2009

Carlinator posted:

God, the interior makes me :barf:

Car's nowhere near mint condition, has had much work done to it, still has quite a bit left judging by the pictures, and you want almost the cost of a NEW vette for it? You must be out of your drat mind.

Wow, idiot, nice broken image. Use a better loving host like imgur next time you dipshit.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

TwoogBuk LLC posted:

Eh, only the 2.8 immolated itself, and only the early ones. Problem with the engine (poor oiling) not the design of the car per se, other than close quarters exacerbating the engine issue.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Carlinator posted:

Wow, idiot, nice broken image. Use a better loving host like imgur next time you dipshit.

You most own a GM product if you are this angry with your posts.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Colostomy Bag posted:

You most own a GM product if you are this angry with your posts.

I'm a little baffled at the referenced post being from 2009, and involving waffleimages, which was fine at the time...

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Carlinator posted:

you dug up a decade-old post to bitch about the broken image link?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

He's bitching at himself tho.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Coredump posted:

He's bitching at himself tho.

What a loving fool though. Imgur had been around for nearly a whole MONTH when he posted that, he should've known better.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

It’s his only 2 posts in the thread. I’m confused.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Hell of a gimmick.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Maybe tried to refer back to some old pictures that existed online only to find out they no longer did.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

https://indianapolis.craigslist.org/cto/d/jamestown-1986-plymouth-reliant-factory/6798257646.html

1986 Plymouth Reliant factory turbo wagon ultra rare - $3500 (Jamestown, IN)

1986 Plymouth Reliant

type: wagon
Very very rare 1986 Plymouth Reliant factory turbo K car station wagon. Only approximately 50 built. Was built for a government contract in 1986 and used at the San Diego Marine Corps base. Only 52 of these were built making them the only turbo non Woody wagons built. It has the original 2.2 turbo motor and is an automatic with working A/C. Only 3 were built in golden bronze metallic. This is a southern California car so has absolutely no rust anywhere and is perfect underneath. Has been painted and looks good, has some imperfections here and there and a few dings. Engine has a reman head with an aftermarket cam, new lifters, followers and valve seals. Turbocharger is new and new lines installed as well as a 3" Turbosunleashed swingvalve and 3" downpipe. Car has full 3" exhaust with a high flow 3" cat as well. Also has a Mopar Performance computer (11 psi boost) and Mopar performance injectors. Suspension is all completely rebuilt with an 89 Shelby CSX K frame, 94-95 Lebaron front brakes and hubs with new bearings and brakes. New struts and shocks with Shelby Lancer springs were installed as well. Has new high flow Carter fuel pump and NOS throttle body with AIS motor and TPS. Transmission is rebuilt and from a 1990 turbo Caravan along with new cv axles. Has 16" "Pumper" wheels from a Daytona and newer tires. Car runs and drives great (exhaust is fairly loud) Has cloth Dodge Daytona Enthusiast front seats and a new headliner. You could drive this car anywhere. I have a lot of money in this car and it shows. I have purchased another rare car and this has to go. $3500 FIRM and comes with extra parts and the original transmission. It is not a perfect car but you won't find another one. Located outside of Jamestown about 25 miles West of Indianapolis. Call or text show contact info

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

So the front wheelbase is around 12" more than the rear end end?

giundy
Dec 10, 2005
Turbo brown shitbox wagon? That registers cool with me. Price seems fair even with the oversold "rare history". Would be good for a laugh or two at autox as it twists in half.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

lol

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Elephanthead posted:

https://indianapolis.craigslist.org/cto/d/jamestown-1986-plymouth-reliant-factory/6798257646.html

1986 Plymouth Reliant factory turbo wagon ultra rare - $3500 (Jamestown, IN)

1986 Plymouth Reliant

type: wagon
Very very rare 1986 Plymouth Reliant factory turbo K car station wagon. Only approximately 50 built. Was built for a government contract in 1986 and used at the San Diego Marine Corps base. Only 52 of these were built making them the only turbo non Woody wagons built. It has the original 2.2 turbo motor and is an automatic with working A/C. Only 3 were built in golden bronze metallic. This is a southern California car so has absolutely no rust anywhere and is perfect underneath. Has been painted and looks good, has some imperfections here and there and a few dings. Engine has a reman head with an aftermarket cam, new lifters, followers and valve seals. Turbocharger is new and new lines installed as well as a 3" Turbosunleashed swingvalve and 3" downpipe. Car has full 3" exhaust with a high flow 3" cat as well. Also has a Mopar Performance computer (11 psi boost) and Mopar performance injectors. Suspension is all completely rebuilt with an 89 Shelby CSX K frame, 94-95 Lebaron front brakes and hubs with new bearings and brakes. New struts and shocks with Shelby Lancer springs were installed as well. Has new high flow Carter fuel pump and NOS throttle body with AIS motor and TPS. Transmission is rebuilt and from a 1990 turbo Caravan along with new cv axles. Has 16" "Pumper" wheels from a Daytona and newer tires. Car runs and drives great (exhaust is fairly loud) Has cloth Dodge Daytona Enthusiast front seats and a new headliner. You could drive this car anywhere. I have a lot of money in this car and it shows. I have purchased another rare car and this has to go. $3500 FIRM and comes with extra parts and the original transmission. It is not a perfect car but you won't find another one. Located outside of Jamestown about 25 miles West of Indianapolis. Call or text show contact info

Pictures check out as legit for the listing city -- right county number on the license plate and area code on the garage sign. About 10 miles down the road from me. If I had a place to store it, I'd go get it.

Carlinator
Feb 12, 2009

don't blame me if you can't understand..., my art

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1978-international-harvester-scout-ii-9/

Currently $500 :stare:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Well now almost 2k.

Interesting, didn't know they did diesels.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah the count vs the gas engines was very low, but they did shove a Nissan SD-33 in there after 1975.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

quote:

The SD33 produces 82 PS (60 kW) at 3,800 rpm.

me yow

That's almost as bad as that 22r Lincoln

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Jesus, at that point I'll take my chances with an IH tractor.