Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Kvlt! posted:

spoilers dude

Seriously. It's been out for like four days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Eh, it’s the plot of the film. But I could go back and throw up some tags.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

CelticPredator posted:

Eh, it’s the plot of the film. But I could go back and throw up some tags.

5) Spoiler Policy: For most threads, please use spoiler tags for any major plot events no matter how old the film is, unless it's common knowledge (Luke Skywalker is Darth Vader's Dad?! Mufasa sees Simba die?!) or if you're in a discussion thread for people who have read that specific director, studio, or film. If you *are* in a discussion thread for a specific filmmaker or film, use spoiler tags for anything that's been out less than about six months to a year.

It's just common courtesy. Especially for a movie that's been hyped but purposefully been obtuse about the premise.

Imagine if, four days after the release, people just spoiled Us or something. It's very inconsiderate.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I said I would put tags on it

Although I didn’t describe anything that isn’t in the official synopsis for the film. Just to ease anyone who thought I ruined something from it

quote:

After paintings by an unknown artist are discovered, a supernatural force enacts revenge on those who have allowed their greed to get in the way of art.

CelticPredator fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Feb 4, 2019

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Ah. I think you think I explained the ending. I didn’t. I promise. I just summed up the plot.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Some people like going into films without knowing the plot too. I went in completely cold to Mandy, which made for a better experience because even though it's a pretty simple premise, it's able to play with preconceived expectations if you don't know what the plot is or where it's going to take you.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
This is your timely reminder that Creep 2 owns everyone's bones and deserves to be remembered as an all time great goddamn horror film.

Easily one of the best found footage ones.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

ruddiger posted:

Some people like going into films without knowing the plot too. I went in completely cold to Mandy, which made for a better experience because even though it's a pretty simple premise, it's able to play with preconceived expectations if you don't know what the plot is or where it's going to take you.

Yeah. I did that. About 30 minutes in I wanted to turn it off but it was late at night and I figured it might turn around. It totally did.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Burkion posted:

This is your timely reminder that Creep 2 owns everyone's bones and deserves to be remembered as an all time great goddamn horror film.

Easily one of the best found footage ones.

It's ok.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Update on Shudder, I wrote to them about the whole Amazon/Shudder.com situation and:

quote:

Hi there

We have been able to sort things out with Amazon and are staying!
Tina,
Shudder Member Support

So no need to use the Shudder site account now!

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
:siren: Let the Corpses Tan is on Prime :siren:

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

s.i.r.e. posted:

Update on Shudder, I wrote to them about the whole Amazon/Shudder.com situation and:

So no need to use the Shudder site account now!

Hell yeah. I was worried. Also. More love is needed for You Might Be The Killer.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

married but discreet posted:

:siren: Let the Corpses Tan is on Prime :siren:

How is it? That's the one that's a neo-giallo right? I'm very intrigued.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Not a giallo really but p good.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

Yeah that's not really a giallo film. I'm watching it now.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Watch that loving poo poo (Let The Corpses Tan) with headphones, every bit of that sound design should be savoured.

E: it's not giallo in the least, but the filmmakers did Strange Color Of Your Body's Tears, which is trying probably way too hard at being giallo. This one is like a Western siege movie and it rules.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Seems more in the vein of Bava's Kidnapped aka Rabid Dogs.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

flashy_mcflash posted:

E: it's not giallo in the least, but the filmmakers did Strange Color Of Your Body's Tears, which is trying probably way too hard at being giallo. This one is like a Western siege movie and it rules.

Ohhhhh that's what I'm thinking of.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Re: Cold Skin, I think the mowing down of the creatures was meant to come off as a tedious chore after the first couple times they show it. Like, sure that would be fun for a while but then it's several nights in the freezing cold just basically shooting fish in a barrel. And after they humanize the fishfolk, it's downright ghastly. Maybe they could have done more to drive that home though.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I liked Velvet Buzzsaw. The criticisms are valid but it’s still a fun time.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I liked it, but I was expecting a lot more out of it. Morf is fun (always nice to see bi representation)but he’s no Lou Bloom.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Untrustable posted:

Also. More love is needed for You Might Be The Killer.

I went in expecting it to be one of those smug critiques of the genre and was pleasantly surprised it was nothing of the sort and really enjoyed it. Equally, I really enjoyed Final Girls. Only film I've seen which features what I can only describe as weaponized stripping.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Fun meta horror I don't consider smug:

Detention
Final Girls
Behind The Mask
You Might Be The Killer

If I'm missing any other good meta horror stuff let me know so that I may watch it.

Edit: just realized the main character from You Might Be The Killer was the stoner guy in Cabin in The Woods.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Coffee And Pie posted:

I liked it, but I was expecting a lot more out of it. Morf is fun (always nice to see bi representation)but he’s no Lou Bloom.

You should watch The Square, if you haven't. It's on Hulu and Hoopla. I think it's a lot closer to what people expected from Velvet Buzzsaw.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Is Boogeyman Pop available like anywhere?

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Untrustable posted:

Fun meta horror I don't consider smug:

Detention
Final Girls
Behind The Mask
You Might Be The Killer

If I'm missing any other good meta horror stuff let me know so that I may watch it.

Edit: just realized the main character from You Might Be The Killer was the stoner guy in Cabin in The Woods.

Last night I saw one that I kinda liked. There’s Nothing Out There from 1991. It’s a low budget (made by the director in film school and edited by his dad) meta slasher/monster movie. It’s neat to see something like that that came out before Scream. Not sure if it’s objectively “good” but I laughed a few times. It’s on tubi for free at least.

Drunkboxer fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Feb 5, 2019

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I enjoyed Let the Corpses Tan more than The Strange Colour of Your Body's Tears, I liked the mix of weirdness and straightforwardness. Like, yea it was a pretty basic situation but presented in a very unique way. I couldn't put my finger on where I'd seen Elina Löwensohn before, but I was certain I knew that face. Then I looked her up and oh that's right, she was the woman in Schindler's List who is executed by Goeth for correcting an engineering error :(

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Drunkboxer posted:

Last night I saw one that I kinda liked. There’s Nothing Out There from 1991. It’s a low budget (made by the director in film school and edited by his dad) meta slasher/monster movie. It’s neat to see something like that that came out before Scream. Not sure if it’s objectively “good” but I laughed a few times. It’s on tubi for free at least.

I will check it out on my next days off. Horror Thread always comes through with a recommendation, even though I watch the worst subgenre: FOUND FOOTAGE.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Drunkboxer posted:

That's one of my favorites but for some reason I never looked at it as a meta horror.

Student Bodies, Bloodbath at the House of Death, Pandemonium all fit the definition then, but do lean a little more on the comedy axis as well.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Basebf555 posted:

I enjoyed Let the Corpses Tan

I was really excited to see this in theaters having only seen the trailer previously so while even from that you could see the trash 70s Euro comic influence on it how surreal it got at times and the way it was shot in general was a great surprise for me.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

M_Sinistrari posted:

That's one of my favorites but for some reason I never looked at it as a meta horror.

Student Bodies, Bloodbath at the House of Death, Pandemonium all fit the definition then, but do lean a little more on the comedy axis as well.

I guess it’s not super overtly meta like Behind the Mask or something, but it does have a Jamie Kennedy type character who constantly explains the rules of horror movies.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Untrustable posted:

A Cat in the Brain is a Fulci film about Fulci being driven mad by Fulci films. That's pretty meta.

I'm not sure if it counts as fun though.

How about films that directly address the audience at some point? Mr.Sardonicus comes to mind. Maybe The Beast Must Die counts too with its werewolf break.

Serious Party Gods
Apr 2, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkVXo2Xu5lAUV_fsKqbpEkA/videos

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Franchescanado posted:

You should watch The Square, if you haven't. It's on Hulu and Hoopla. I think it's a lot closer to what people expected from Velvet Buzzsaw.

I’ll check it out! I heard people talking about it but avoided it because I confused it with that Tom Hanks movie The Circle.

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD
Late, but I watched the new Suspiria yesterday. Any help on what I just watched? I was mostly bored and act 6 didn't really change that much. Is the original a lot better / different?

I usually enjoy movies that are not literal / holding hands, but I'm a a loss here.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I have not seen the remake but I have heard that it is much different from the original, which I can recommend wholeheartedly.

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD

Lurdiak posted:

I have not seen the remake but I have heard that it is much different from the original, which I can recommend wholeheartedly.

Thanks, I'll see if I can track it (EU).
I've never seen much Argento, if any, so I need to change that anyway!

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Acht posted:

Thanks, I'll see if I can track it (EU).
I've never seen much Argento, if any, so I need to change that anyway!

It's on tubi.tv now, a free service that makes you watch a few ads during the stream. I'm one of the people that was really disappointed in the remake and for whom the original Suspiria is one of my favorite horror films. Definitely watch it.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Actually, you get less info in the original. There aren't any telepathic witch meetings!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Acht posted:

Is the original a lot better / different?

Outside of the name, the basic premise, and a few winks and nods, Suspiria 1977 and Suspiria 2018 are completely different movies. Your opinion on one will basically have no bearing whatsoever on your opinion of the other.