Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

Seems legit and is fun for free. Way loving better than that hot janky garbage Ring of Elysium my friends keep dragging me into. Runs smooth on my 5 year old quad core i5. Even the netcode feels solid so far.

I'm terrible at it, though. It's like every enemy I encounter is a twitch superstar pro on day 1. So I dunno if I'll be able to stand playing much more.

Countdown until EA figures out how to properly ruin it with a dumb decision. Or it gets flooded with hackers like the rest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

This is pretty fun but the movement is definitely clunky. The running feels like it should be faster, but it isn’t. It’s definitely between PUBG and Blackout in terms of movement.

The ammo capacities drive me nuts. A lot of the SMGs are 15 or 18 rounds and then can be extended to 28 with the rarest extended mag, which seems like a very strange design choice. The pistols all feel useless and you will often get punched to death in the early game scrambles.

I’m not a huge fan of the inventory system, which also feels like it has most of the worst parts of PUBG’s and Blackout’s systems with the exception that swapping guns will attach any compatible attachments to the gun you’re picking up. When you’re inventory is full, and you hold the pick up button while looking at an item, it will give you a swap menu. However, in order to swap you have to right click what you want to drop, dropping like 12 ammo or one shield cell at a time until that space frees up, then I forget if you click the empty space or the item on the left side but it’s strange as hell that a swap interface isn’t a one click thing but usually multiple right clicks and then another left click in a spot you’re not expecting.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Home from work and gonna hop on here in a minute. PSN is zerodrone if any other ps4 goons are up!

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Game is fun but WHY are SMG mags 18 fuckin rounds

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Had a couple of rounds with some goons.

Good times

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

Infinitum posted:

Had a couple of rounds with some goons.

Good times

Bunker is not safe

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Don't sass the jumpmaster ITT

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
Some friends and I got our first solo win with Wraith/Pathfinder/Lifeline. Pathfinder's passive can be super good near the end of the match, when circles get tight - we were able to know where exactly we'd need to camp and were able to hold it and figure out where people would be coming from.

Game's good, it's got a lot of refinement of the genre. This is probably next to Counter-Strike's Danger Zone as my favorite BR for now.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
also the kraber is still a piece of poo poo I'm told lol

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
All of these characters look like they were kicked out of Lawbreakers for being too generic and none have fun abiltities, and I wish I could both wall run and play solo

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Mr.Citrus posted:

Agreedo. Really wishing there was a solo queue, as every team I've been with have been useless meat sacks so far.

Yeah I haven't gotten a chance to play with friends yet, but pugging is utter garbage on PS4. The dudes locking in Wraith and proceeding to run off and die in the first minute are really reminding me of genji mains in Overwatch. The netcode and gunplay seem great so far, and the aspect of ammo also taking up inventory space is pretty interesting -leaving you sometimes bucking BR norms when it comes to ensuring you have guns that use different ammo.

I agree that building the game around squads does open more design space for balancing the heroes, but the 3 person squads also strikes me as an interesting choice if hoping to recruit from other BR games.
All and all a pretty cool game.

drrockso20 posted:

Honestly I think my biggest issue is the whole 1 Life thing that Battle Royale games do, it makes everyone play too conservatively
Well, then this might be the BR for you, since in addition to the very generous bleed out and revive mechanics you also get about a minute and a half to visit a dead teammate's corpse and take their banner, which you can then use to bring them back at a respawn point.
Or the BR genre just might not be for you.

I'm also hoping to see a bunch of chud tears over backstory announcements like Bloodhound character being non-binary.

Coolness Averted fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Feb 5, 2019

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
I got this DLing and will give it a crack when I finish work. In my opinion Respawn are literal Gods whose work is too pure and beautiful to be comprehended by mere mortals so I reckon I’ll probably enjoy it.

Wilko
Dec 3, 2013

:toot:
Really really enjoying this, had a bunch of pulse racing wins with each squad trading players til its 1v2. I need to play a couple other characters, but Wraith is great for being super aggressive, and Pathfinder rules in the final minutes of the game when you can see where the next ring is going to be and move early.

Despoiler
Apr 9, 2002
I liked the part where Kuriyama did his big speech.
This game is SO good

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

Despoiler posted:

This game is SO good

50 seconds left on download!

What's a good hero to start?

e- Anyone on PC not able to turn on AA? The TAA thing is disabled for me, all I can do is Adaptive Super Sampling. I have a AMD gpu, is TAA for nvidia only?

Morphix fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Feb 5, 2019

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I am never, in any way possible, win a game in this game. But I really like it, the most awesome thing is the feel of stable FPS and solid graphic design.

Theres only one problem, and is that is hard to tell enemies from friends.

Also all the weapons feel like Nailguns, but in a good way.

The "Champion on the game" will make sniping streamers easier.

Tei fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Feb 5, 2019

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Morphix posted:

What's a good hero to start?

Lifeline is a solid class for healing + extra high quality loot through her ultimate ability.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
The more I play, the more I like it. All of the different heroes have their place, they're all quite different, and their abilities combo together in cool and interesting ways. The robot's zipline is by far the best though, it just owns being able to hole up somewhere safe and then make your swashbuckling escape as you zipline through a firefight. Game owns.

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

Game is really fun but as a PUBG veteran (700 hours or something) I’m really having trouble with the guns. The much, much higher health pools, lack of “stuns” when getting hit, decreased range accuracy, etc compared to PUBG are really loving with me. I like PUBG’s actual shooting mechanics more but this is actually competently made so I’ll probably stick with it. Just... gently caress, I need to get better at the actual shooting parts.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

this sounds disappointing even from the types of praise people are giving it

ill check it out when I get some friends together (only 2 other friends wtf?) but i started out at "Titanfall BR? I might actually play that one!" and got less enthusiastic with every detail ive learned about it

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

I played this a bunch yesterday. I haven't enjoyed any of the Battle Royale games and this one had me wanting to come back. I somehow managed a win on my 2nd game with some randos. Haven't been able to replicate with friends but we had some close attempts. The pinging is good and fun. People pushing forward by themselves and getting ambushed sucks. Also there are some areas that feel "stuff" poor.

My only complaints are around shooting and the lack of real feedback about what your shooting is doing to the other person. It just doesn't feel that it's as clear as in other games when you're on target. I agree there is a lack of gun variety. Or at least it feels that way.

I'm playing on xbox.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene
Holy moly it runs great, the revive mechanic and the ping wheel make communication so easy.

Coming from Overwatch where Blizzard doesn't seem to know what direction they want to take their game, it's refreshing to play a game that's so well put together and so clearly communicates what you have to do as a team.

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

There is lots to like in apex. they made a lot of QOL changes that are a big improvement from pubG. I had fun with it. i'll play more.

The lighting in this game doesn't feel right. it's like we've gone back a generation or something. did they just turn it off so they could ship on time?

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Philman posted:

There is lots to like in apex. they made a lot of QOL changes that are a big improvement from pubG. I had fun with it. i'll play more.

The lighting in this game doesn't feel right. it's like we've gone back a generation or something. did they just turn it off so they could ship on time?

It's based on an old-rear end engine is probably the reason.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

There’s a lot about the visuals in general that feels off. I don’t mind it but yeah. Hopefully that improves over time. The game needs that last 20% polish.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

Kilometers Davis posted:

There’s a lot about the visuals in general that feels off. I don’t mind it but yeah. Hopefully that improves over time. The game needs that last 20% polish.

Really? I know it's not super pretty, but I think it looks pretty nice actually. If you have Adaptive AA enabled everything looks super crisp, it's honestly the best AA I've ever used in terms of performance/looks.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

So, how fast can you reasonably expect to earn enough currency to buy a character?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Morphix posted:

Really? I know it's not super pretty, but I think it looks pretty nice actually. If you have Adaptive AA enabled everything looks super crisp, it's honestly the best AA I've ever used in terms of performance/looks.

I’m on an og PS4. It’s definitely lacking compared to other FPS on the console but don’t get me wrong though it doesn’t look bad or anything.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Game is fun. It's like CoD and Overwatch had a baby but it works for me in the few hours I have played on PS4. I hope they keep enough of a player base to do solo queue or maybe split stacks into their own queue instead of facing off against rando teams.

I realized today that I am a grumpy old gamer man since I turned my nose up at going through Origin for the PC

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Roluth posted:

So, how fast can you reasonably expect to earn enough currency to buy a character?

I played for a few hours today and got to level 9 and am about 1/3rd of the way there.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

Kilometers Davis posted:

I’m on an og PS4. It’s definitely lacking compared to other FPS on the console but don’t get me wrong though it doesn’t look bad or anything.

Aaah okay, ya I have it on PC and everythings cranked to the max and it's running for me better than Overwatch currently does at the lowest settings.

I really like all the vertically of the map, it's neat having to look around more than just keep the sight line head level.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Played a few rounds last night, so far it seems solid though I hate being jumpmaster since my map knowledge sucks.

Played with randos each time, most didn't have voice up but the pinging system was good. Helped keep everyone on track though I wish we had a ping to let our team know the status of our ults (so I can time my medic supply drop better). I like having a squad though I know people tend to like solo BRs more, different strokes I guess.

If nothing else I like Respawns moxie regarding the game and the lack of marketing beforehand. Their boss was like "yeah we're making a F2P BR game for EA, we know no marketing beforehand would win heats and minds so we're gonna let the game speak for itself". I can't help but respect that.

I'll be trying to play with some Goons later!

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Hot dropping into an area with a bunch of other teams and barely coming out on top with a bunch of pistols is extremely satisfying.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Played a few rounds last night, so far it seems solid though I hate being jumpmaster since my map knowledge sucks.

You can just hand it over to someone else I think. Also it's fun because you can just ask if anyone has any suggestions and it's super easy for people to ping something, you ping it back to acknowledge it.

This game has a lot of small mechanics that make you learn to rely on your team right off the bat. It's neat.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I'm way into this. The way they handle inventory on console is really smart. Once you know what each item is and you're not going around picking things up indiscriminately, you rarely have to open your actual inventory screen. Having your compatible attachments automatically switch to a replacement gun is good. The callout system is the best I've seen in any FPS. Guns feel great, as expected from Respawn. The teammate resurrection system is a nice twist.

Some QoL improvements I'd like to see:

-Show the "no symbol" on tooltips when you look at an item so you know at a glance you can't use it. I think there is some indication that helps you so I might just need to get used to it. But once it's in inventory it's obvious what you should be getting rid of if you need to.

-Automatically drop ammo for a gun if you're swapping it out and don't need the ammo anymore. I'm sure there's some situations where you'd want to keep the ammo, but I'd rather it just drop on the ground like the attachments do when you drop a weapon and can't use the attachments anymore.

-The "ultimate ability 20% charger" (whatever it's called) should be easier to use. Put it on the med wheel, at least. That's the only item in the game that you have to go into your inventory to use, and it's the only item that you probably want to use immediately after picking it up.

My only real bummer with the game is they really should add solo mode, and probably 4-person squads. I assume this was done to keep things simple at the beginning and they'll add more modes later. It doesn't feel like the heroes are so important that you need a well-balanced, three-person squad to get a good experience. And I was always able to carry enough loot to supply myself, so that's not the reason. Playing with pubbies is not great, and god help you if you're the jumpmaster and want to jump somewhere near the end of the plane's path.

edit: Oh, and it runs great on a non-pro PS4.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Morphix posted:

You can just hand it over to someone else I think. Also it's fun because you can just ask if anyone has any suggestions and it's super easy for people to ping something, you ping it back to acknowledge it.

This game has a lot of small mechanics that make you learn to rely on your team right off the bat. It's neat.

Oh for sure! I relied on my team pings for dropsite suggestions, its awesome, I just wish I had the knowledge to back then up. I also usually end up dropmaster when the other two have already handed it off!

I do like relying on and working with a team, I think its neat. Plus you get a nice xp reward for teamwork actions too which help!

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
The ping system is so simple and effective that it's a wonder nobody made it so easy to use before. It's amazing.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Bardeh posted:

The ping system is so simple and effective that it's a wonder nobody made it so easy to use before. It's amazing.

Yeah, you practically don't need a mic if properly using the ping wheel. A shame pubs ignore it just as much as mics. Oh one good thing I'd say is I've yet to hear the fan or lovely music and kids/parents screaming in the background unlike every in other f2p BR.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
5 hours later, I get my first squad win which is also my first win as the only person left alive, miraculously as my teammates yell "SHOOT HER!!!!!"

I think I can go to bed now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Game seems good. I'll try and party up tonight.