Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Sentient Data posted:

But without iot how could I upgrade to the Jule Premium subscription to unlock cook times longer than 12 hours?

Sad that I can’t tell if this is sarcasm or serious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

How long have people put between sous vide'ing and searing? I'm going away for a weekend and cooking for 6 with a very, very limited kitchen. Was thinking of puddling some NY strips to 129 or so and dropping them in a cooler for the drive before finishing on cast iron or a grill there the next night. Am I asking for weird texture with a 24+ hour sit?

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Saw binging with babsih where he makes shelf stable pickles. Trying his recipe now. Will report back in 24-48 hours.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Nephzinho posted:

How long have people put between sous vide'ing and searing? I'm going away for a weekend and cooking for 6 with a very, very limited kitchen. Was thinking of puddling some NY strips to 129 or so and dropping them in a cooler for the drive before finishing on cast iron or a grill there the next night. Am I asking for weird texture with a 24+ hour sit?

Finish them to desire temp, cool down in ice/water bath then refrigerate. Drive up with them at fridge temp in the cooler. Searing and reheating will be the same operation, the cool center gives you extra margin when searing hard.

E: apologies if I just repeated your plan to you, but I read it as you'd keep them at cooking temp in the car. I've done vizzle-fridge-sear many times, it works very well.

Ola fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jan 26, 2019

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Ola posted:

Finish them to desire temp, cool down in ice/water bath then refrigerate. Drive up with them at fridge temp in the cooler. Searing and reheating will be the same operation, the cool center gives you extra margin when searing hard.

E: apologies if I just repeated your plan to you, but I read it as you'd keep them at cooking temp in the car. I've done vizzle-fridge-sear many times, it works very well.

Yeah, I just haven't done it before with steaks a day over and wasn't sure if they'd come out weird. Last year we did this retreat and everything I cooked got scorched and flavorless thanks to a kitchen that was empty of any spices and only had paper thin pots and pans. Going to bring up even the basics this time, a pot and a pan, and sous vide some steaks/carrots/etc ahead of time.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Ultimate Mango posted:

Cook and cool both of them in advance. Puddle or oven to reheat, depending on how you were doing them. Less timing to worry about with finishing one batch at the time another needs to be reheated.

Edit: I have also reheated mass quantities, even from frozen, in a big turkey fryer pot and outdoor burner. Left the meat in the bags, big honking pot of water, and came out great. I think the most I’ve done this way is maybe 40-50#, so enough for a good sized party.

Thanks! My thought is that for 72 hour short ribs, it's kind of irrelevant if they turn into 70 hour or 74 hour ribs, so I already don't need to worry about the timing too much. If I was making something that cooked in a couple hours, that would be different. Am I overlooking something?

Anyone have a formula for reheating time in a hot water bath?

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Ultimate Mango posted:

Sad that I can’t tell if this is sarcasm or serious.

I think it was just pointless tribal crap. There is no restriction on times of Joule puddling.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
Cross-posted from smoking thread:
(Reheated) Boneless Beef Ribs Trip Report:

72 hours in the puddle @144F, 20 minute ice bath, 30 minute mesquite smoke, tossed in the fridge in a tupperware, fridged for 2 days (Wife had a migraine the night the puddle was done), resealed and puddled at 144F for an hour, seared in a smoking hot cast iron...Gonna call it a success.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

sterster posted:

Here ya go. It's from the Sous Vide at home cook book. Which I highly recommend if you're looking for something like that.

Thanks!

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Such good posts, these last few

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
Relatively new to sous vide. I have done a few cooks and they came out ok. I have been bagging my steaks with salt and pepper rubbed all over the meat. However when I sear the pepper just becomes horrible and burnt. I feel like bagging with pepper does add to the flavor but I don't want the little pepper bits to ruin the sear.

Does anyone have any advice?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Skyarb posted:

Relatively new to sous vide. I have done a few cooks and they came out ok. I have been bagging my steaks with salt and pepper rubbed all over the meat. However when I sear the pepper just becomes horrible and burnt. I feel like bagging with pepper does add to the flavor but I don't want the little pepper bits to ruin the sear.

Does anyone have any advice?

You could perhaps lightly crush some peppercorns that you could then easily remove. But otherwise just pepper after searing.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Yeah, I haven’t found pepper in the bag to be better in any way than just cracking fresh post-sear

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I do not like the funkiness from pepper in the bag for longish cooks.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
Hmm ok thanks for the tips guys.

Also can I find duck breast at a local grocery store? I was interested in trying a cook but I don't think I've ever seen it at my local shop.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Skyarb posted:

Hmm ok thanks for the tips guys.

Also can I find duck breast at a local grocery store? I was interested in trying a cook but I don't think I've ever seen it at my local shop.

Ask the butcher?

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Probably not if it's Publix, Kroger, Frys etc. Try a more high end grocery or find a local butcher to source from.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

you may have to buy a frozen duck and part it

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Get better supermarkets, scrubs

https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/shop/gb/groceries/sainsburys-duck-breast-fillets-340g

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
What sort of time/temp do I want for a whole boneless pork loin?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
140 for 2 hours is my go-to, and it's so damned tender and good. It's the easiest way to sell the concept of sous vide to someone that's only ever had overcooked pork

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST
It turns out that if you use the Anova app and go out of bluetooth range, it shuts down the machine. I have ribs that were *supposed* to cook overnight that got to sit in lukewarm water.

Are they totally ruined or can I salvage them?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

TheCog posted:

It turns out that if you use the Anova app and go out of bluetooth range, it shuts down the machine.

Are you sure that’s what happened? Does it happen every time? I haven’t had that happen with mine, though I’ve only used the Bluetooth connection a couple of times.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

Are you sure that’s what happened? Does it happen every time? I haven’t had that happen with mine, though I’ve only used the Bluetooth connection a couple of times.

That's happened to me too - I don't bother with the bluetooth any more.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

I somewhat doubt going out of bluetooth range shuts it off. Unless your phone or tablet is specifically sending it an order to shut off just before going out of range. It would be akin to your TV shutting off if you carried the remote out of the room.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Whalley posted:

That's happened to me too - I don't bother with the bluetooth any more.

That is not a good behaviour!

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Hasselblad posted:

I somewhat doubt going out of bluetooth range shuts it off. Unless your phone or tablet is specifically sending it an order to shut off just before going out of range. It would be akin to your TV shutting off if you carried the remote out of the room.

Admittedly the time the bluetooth dropped was when power went out for a couple hours on a long bubble when I was trying to charge my phone, so

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five
For anyone who might be interested, after I upgraded phones and installed the ANOVA app, I decided I'd no longer be using it and that I'd just be using the manual controls because of this:

I asked ANOVA posted:

I've previously used the ANOVA android app with both the ANOVA Precision Cooker BT and ANOVA Precision Cooker WiFi without any issues. Today, I went to connect the app on a new phone to my ANOVA Precision Cooker Nano and I was prompted to allow location permissions.

I'd like to know why the ANOVA android app requests location permissions? I understand needing to be able to send push notifications, access Bluetooth and WiFi, etc. but I'm at a loss as to why my device (or your company) would need to access to my GPS coordinates.

ANOVA replied posted:

Greetings! Recent updates to the Google Android API (level 23) affecting Bluetooth LE technology requires location permissions to be granted in order to use the Anova Android application, we are sorry we cannot remove this requirement as it comes from Google.
Let me know if you have other concerns.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

poeticoddity posted:

For anyone who might be interested, after I upgraded phones and installed the ANOVA app, I decided I'd no longer be using it and that I'd just be using the manual controls because of this:

That's standard Android protocol that sucks rear end but you can't use BT without it.

That said using the manual controls is easier than using the app so why bother

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
I've never had mine shut off because I went out of range. I have had the timer go all screwy because of this but it's always maintained temp.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Yeah, I tried the Bluetooth controls and saw no real benefit to it. In fact it probably took longer for me to open the app and connect to the device and set the temp than just using the scroll wheel on it and set it and press start

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Whalley posted:

That's standard Android protocol that sucks rear end but you can't use BT without it.

It’s there because access to Bluetooth lets you sense beacons, and in many places in the world you can get a pretty good location cue from that. It’s the right thing for them to do, IMO.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST

Subjunctive posted:

I mean, I set the timer for twelve hours at 165 F, I checked the water was at temp, put the ribs in, hit start cook, and went to bed. When i woke up and checked to see how they were going the Anova had "lost connection" and the water was at 83 F or so, and the anova was on, just not heating.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Sounds like the unit lost connection through a power outage

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five
This could be readily tested by just setting it up via Bluetooth and then disabling Bluetooth on your device.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
As much as I'm anti-iot, I'm on camp power outage's team on this one. Maybe a good rule of thumb would be to get a small apc lead acid battery backup for expensive long cooks

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

I think I'm over salting my steaks when I bag them but most of the media I see that depicts the seasoning makes it look like they also throw a lot of salt.

Should I just be sprinkling a bit of kosher salt on each side of the steak?

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Skyarb posted:

I think I'm over salting my steaks when I bag them but most of the media I see that depicts the seasoning makes it look like they also throw a lot of salt.

season to your taste. seriously, up to the point you're inducing kidney failure it's up to you.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Try giving them a generous salting an hour before they go in the bag, then rinse right before you vac seal them and put them in the puddle aka dry brining. I find that it leads to a more well seasoned steak since the salt has permeated the whole thing, but it's not overly salty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Skyarb posted:

Which salt brand are you using? This actually makes a difference. Most chefs and things online specify they use Diamond Crystal brand kosher salt, which is actually much less salty than other brands such as Morton’s.

I learned this the hard way by buying a different salt and seasoning with as much as I normally did with DC and it came out way too salty.