Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Floodkiller posted:

No update this weekend, spent most of it playing the RE2 remake (which is very fun, by the way).

FR: Add a Tyrant unique that does only melee damage, cannot be permanently killed (but can be "killed" like Natasha), and can follow you up/down floors.

*You hear the clomping of a very distant Tyrant*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I was going to say "make it randomly have a rocket launcher" but that would actually be a bad idea, because this should like a genuinely fun concept for a new gimmick boss and it wouldn't do to make it annoying. It would have to be restricted to the main branch or something like that, though.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Cardiovorax posted:

I was going to say "make it randomly have a rocket launcher" but that would actually be a bad idea, because this should like a genuinely fun concept for a new gimmick boss and it wouldn't do to make it annoying. It would have to be restricted to the main branch or something like that, though.

Oh yeah, we could go into specifics like main branch only or no branch ends. Unarmed combat only. Maybe slow speed and slow attack speed but a sprint burst like alligators if you let it get too close (or not if that's too annoying). I'm sure stalk and chase timers can be tweaked, etc. Technically mindless so can't be charmed?

It's just fun to think about.

*Xom laughs maniacally* "X gon give it to ya!"

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

quote:

It's just fun to think about.
It is, I really like the idea. It could be Gooncrawl's own wizard of Yendor, but less annoying.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Let old Rods lie.

Unless you mean a Boris reskin in one of the language options, that's perfectly acceptable.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Floodkiller posted:

Gooncrawl update: Okawaru no longer gives out ammo gifts. Instead, at 3* piety, Okawaru will now make all of the player's ammunition have the returning brand in addition to whatever brand it normally has.

As a dumbass who MiFis and uses throwing to reach out, this owns.

I'm sorry if it was already addressed, but churn seems like a bullshit mechanic. Oh gently caress, I got 2 javelins of poison on Lair 1, but I'm afraid of using them too soon because they mulch so now these two awesome things go into the same bag as the wand of lightning with 1 charge and the +99 sword of mr----

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Fhqwhgads posted:

FR: Add a Tyrant unique that does only melee damage, cannot be permanently killed (but can be "killed" like Natasha), and can follow you up/down floors.

*You hear the clomping of a very distant Tyrant*

That would just be Boris in melee form.

Always kind of wished Boris was more of a threat. I can't think of a single time he's really been a major threat unless he spawned really early. He just likes to show up and be a nuisance, and then show up again when you're so buff you just squash him.

goatsestretchgoals posted:

As a dumbass who MiFis and uses throwing to reach out, this owns.

I'm sorry if it was already addressed, but churn seems like a bullshit mechanic. Oh gently caress, I got 2 javelins of poison on Lair 1, but I'm afraid of using them too soon because they mulch so now these two awesome things go into the same bag as the wand of lightning with 1 charge and the +99 sword of mr----

Mulching as a mechanic exists because the devs don't want you to be able to use ranged weapons exclusively. Kind of annoying since it means you have to scrounge for ammunition constantly.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Edit: It's 3 AM and I'm a moron.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Jan 31, 2019

make mockery
Jan 31, 2019
why doesnt boris scale to his environment

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

make mockery posted:

Sounds like a feature request to me!

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007

make mockery posted:

See, I know what you mean, but the way you phrased it just makes me think of Boris as the lich form of a goldfish.

make mockery
Jan 31, 2019
im fine w this

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

make mockery posted:

Rather than an immortal lich, have him reincarnate as a floor-appropriate monster: he can show up as a Goblin on D:1, a Gold Dragon in the depths, an Orb of Fire in Zot, etc.

Give him some unique taunts and maybe one special ability, but otherwise is a slightly beefed up version of whatever he's reincarnated as.

Also give him a small chance to show up as a bowl of petunias.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Internet Kraken posted:

Mulching as a mechanic exists because the devs don't want you to be able to use ranged weapons exclusively. Kind of annoying since it means you have to scrounge for ammunition constantly.

non-artifact weapons now mulch after a certain amount of uses. put those hundreds of weapons you find on the floor to good use! :shuckyes:

make mockery
Jan 31, 2019
you joke but im sure somebodys gonna do a roguelike w a breath of the wild style weapon system sooner or later, if cogmind doesnt already count

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

make mockery posted:

you joke but im sure somebodys gonna do a roguelike w a breath of the wild style weapon system sooner or later, if cogmind doesnt already count

I'd gladly play that if it took the gameplay from BotW as well.

If that game had procedural generation I could play it forever.

Shady Amish Terror posted:

See, I know what you mean, but the way you phrased it just makes me think of Boris as the lich form of a goldfish.

Man remember when goldfish and giant fish used to exist? I think my first death was actually to a big fish in a fountain vault because I underestimated its damage output.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

make mockery posted:

Cogmind counts.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Its been about a year and a half since I played this game. I still hate what the devs have done but I got real nostalgic about it lately. So I said gently caress it and decided to play again.

I dunno who added this library memorization feature but holy hell its amazing!

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Still was busy playing through RE2make as well as messing around with Wargroove, but got something small out for a Gooncrawl update:
-The Malmutate spell will no longer mutate the player. Instead, it will cause 1-5 points of stat drain (average 3-4) in each stat (which I'm thinking about adjusting downwards later, depends on the feedback). This change only affects Orbs of Fire, as they are the only remaining monster with Malmutate and I didn't want to bother to rename it in the code at the moment. Other sources of malmutation (standing in mutagenic fog, spell miscasts, Mnoleg melee) will still mutate you.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Coincidentally enough, that's pretty much the same effect the undead (Mummy, Ghoul, blood-drying Vampire) get from being Malmutated. :v:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Having done another 15-rune game, my initial excitement has faded away pretty fast. For two versions later, very little seems to have changed. Extended hasn't even been touched. Once again I was mutated by hell glow I couldn't avoid. I really don't get how that doesn't drive other players crazy. It feels so lovely.

I've been playing this game for years. I have almost 100 wins online. I've given a bunch of feedback.

And I'm pretty sure the only suggestion I've made that actually got into the game was a troll Xom vault that spawns a friendly goblin.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Feb 4, 2019

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
I've done the same, have 30 some-odd wins recorded online and from where I'm standing, unless you are part of the "in" crowd, your voice is dismissed

The path of many great games' demise is paved by the arrogance of their curators.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Internet Kraken posted:

Having done another 15-rune game, my initial excitement has faded away pretty fast. For two versions later, very little seems to have changed. Extended hasn't even been touched. Once again I was mutated by hell glow I couldn't avoid. I really don't get how that doesn't drive other players crazy. It feels so lovely.

I've been playing this game for years. I have almost 100 wins online. I've given a bunch of feedback.

And I'm pretty sure the only suggestion I've made that actually got into the game was a troll Xom vault that spawns a friendly goblin.

Try FK's amazing fork, Gooncrawl, Kraken. Tell me what you think.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

I'm feeling powered to spite and the Oka changes are going slow, so I'll see how easy it is to modify Hell effects after I get out of work today and get that v2.0 item out of the way.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

FulsomFrank posted:

Try FK's amazing fork, Gooncrawl, Kraken. Tell me what you think.

I have no doubt that its probably very fun and better than normal Crawl at this point. However, I'm addicted to the scoreboard aspect of Crawl. Having all my games tracked is what really motivates me to keep playing since I have clear goals to work towards.

Floodkiller posted:

I'm feeling powered to spite and the Oka changes are going slow, so I'll see how easy it is to modify Hell effects after I get out of work today and get that v2.0 item out of the way.

Its not easy. I was reading through the dev logs and apparently changing extended to rework hell effects and the way Pan worked was a goal for 0.21... and nobody did it because it was hard and none of the devs care about making extended fun.

IIRC the reason hell effects aren't easy to modify is because a bunch of them are just forcing miscasts and not actual, unique effects.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Feb 4, 2019

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

I have no doubt that its probably very fun and better than normal Crawl at this point. However, I'm addicted to the scoreboard aspect of Crawl. Having all my games tracked is what really motivates me to keep playing since I have clear goals to work towards.

Its not easy. I was reading through the dev logs and apparently changing extended to rework hell effects and the way Pan worked was a goal for 0.21... and nobody did it because it was hard and none of the devs care about making extended fun.

IIRC the reason hell effects aren't easy to modify is because a bunch of them are just forcing miscasts and not actual, unique effects.

code:
/**
 * Choose a random, spooky hell effect message, print it, and make a loud noise
 * if appropriate. (1/6 chance of loud noise.)
 */
static void _hell_effect_noise()
{
    const bool loud = one_chance_in(6) && !silenced(you.pos());
    string msg = getMiscString(loud ? "hell_effect_noisy"
                                    : "hell_effect_quiet");
    if (msg.empty())
        msg = "Something hellishly buggy happens.";

mprf(MSGCH_HELL_EFFECT, "%s", msg.c_str());
    if (loud)
        noisy(15, you.pos());
}

/**
 * Choose a random miscast effect (from a weighted list) & apply it to the
 * player.
 */
static void _random_hell_miscast()
{
    const spschool which_miscast
        = random_choose_weighted(8, spschool::necromancy,
                                 4, spschool::summoning,
                                 2, spschool::conjuration,
                                 1, spschool::charms,
                                 1, spschool::hexes);

const int pow = 4 + random2(6);
    const int fail = random2avg(97, 3);
    MiscastEffect(&you, nullptr, {miscast_source::hell_effect}, which_miscast,
                  pow, fail,
                  "the effects of Hell");
}

/// The thematically appropriate hell effects for a given hell branch.
struct hell_effect_spec
{
    /// The type of greater demon to spawn from hell effects.
    vector<monster_type> fiend_types;
    /// The appropriate theme of miscast effects to toss at the player.
    spschool miscast_type;
    /// A weighted list of lesser creatures to spawn.
    vector<pair<monster_type, int>> minor_summons;
};

/// Hell effects for each branch of hell
static map<branch_type, hell_effect_spec> hell_effects_by_branch =
{
    { BRANCH_DIS, { {RANDOM_DEMON_GREATER}, spschool::earth, {
        { RANDOM_MONSTER, 100 }, // TODO
    }}},
    { BRANCH_GEHENNA, { {MONS_BRIMSTONE_FIEND}, spschool::fire, {
    }}},
    { BRANCH_COCYTUS, { {MONS_ICE_FIEND, MONS_SHARD_SHRIKE}, spschool::ice, {
        // total weight 100
        { MONS_ZOMBIE, 15 },
        { MONS_SKELETON, 10 },
        { MONS_SIMULACRUM, 10 },
        { MONS_FREEZING_WRAITH, 10 },
        { MONS_FLYING_SKULL, 10 },
        { MONS_TORMENTOR, 10 },
        { MONS_REAPER, 10 },
        { MONS_BONE_DRAGON, 5 },
        { MONS_ICE_DRAGON, 5 },
        { MONS_BLIZZARD_DEMON, 5 },
        { MONS_ICE_DEVIL, 5 },
    }}},
    { BRANCH_TARTARUS, { {MONS_TZITZIMITL}, spschool::necromancy, {
    }}},
};

/**
 * Either dump a fiend or a hell-appropriate miscast effect on the player.
 * 40% chance of fiend, 60% chance of miscast.
 */
static void _themed_hell_summon_or_miscast()
{
    const hell_effect_spec *spec = map_find(hell_effects_by_branch,
                                            you.where_are_you);
    if (!spec)
        die("Attempting to call down a hell effect in a non-hellish branch.");

if (x_chance_in_y(2, 5))
    {
        const monster_type fiend
            = spec->fiend_types[random2(spec->fiend_types.size())];
        create_monster(
                       mgen_data::hostile_at(fiend, true, you.pos())
                       .set_non_actor_summoner("the effects of Hell"));
    }
    else
    {
        const int pow = 4 + random2(6);
        const int fail = random2avg(97, 3);
        MiscastEffect(&you, nullptr, {miscast_source::hell_effect},
                      spec->miscast_type, pow, fail,
                      "the effects of Hell");
    }
}

/**
 * Try to summon at some number of random spawns from the current branch, to
 * harass the player & give them easy xp/TSO piety. Occasionally, to kill them.
 * Min zero, max five, average 1.67.
 * Can and does summon bands as individual spawns.
 */
static void _minor_hell_summons()
{
    hell_effect_spec *spec = map_find(hell_effects_by_branch,
                                      you.where_are_you);
    if (!spec)
        die("Attempting to call down a hell effect in a non-hellish branch.");

// Try to summon at least one and up to five random monsters. {dlb}
    mgen_data mg;
    mg.pos = you.pos();
    mg.foe = MHITYOU;
    mg.non_actor_summoner = "the effects of Hell";
    create_monster(mg);

for (int i = 0; i < 4; ++i)
    {
        if (one_chance_in(3))
        {
            monster_type *type
                = random_choose_weighted(spec->minor_summons);
            ASSERT(type);
            mg.cls = *type;
            create_monster(mg);
        }
    }
}

/// Nasty things happen to people who spend too long in Hell.
static void _hell_effects(int /*time_delta*/)
{
    if (!player_in_hell())
        return;

// 50% chance at max piety
    if (have_passive(passive_t::resist_hell_effects)
        && x_chance_in_y(you.piety, MAX_PIETY * 2) || is_sanctuary(you.pos()))
    {
        simple_god_message("'s power protects you from the chaos of Hell!");
        return;
    }

_hell_effect_noise();

if (one_chance_in(3))
        _random_hell_miscast();
    else if (x_chance_in_y(5, 9))
        _themed_hell_summon_or_miscast();

if (one_chance_in(3))   // NB: No "else"
        _minor_hell_summons();
}
Actually, this is all that there is from first glance. I think the minor/major demon summoning are already unique per branch by hell_effects_by_branch's appearance and noise is fine for all of them, and I could probably just hijack MiscastEffect in _random_hell_miscast and hell_effects_by_branch with fake Hell spell schools for the unique stuff.

The most recent release is implementing seeds for seeded runs, which in my opinion is a lot harder and nastier in Crawl's code than this. It's more likely that whoever proposed it got bored and stopped and nobody else was interested.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
Pffhaha. Just learned that if you set down cure mutation and benemut potions and wander off somewhere, they degrade into regular mutation potions. Teaches me for trying to stockpile them. Oh well, lesson learned, that's what mega-Zigs are for. :v:

E: And yeah, Crawl is a very interesting game, but it's been really sharply optimized further and further towards a very minimalist experience. I appreciate the deep abyss and mega-zigs as a band-aid on the issue, but I'm just not the target audience for trying to speedrun and streak a roguelike (because I am both bad and typo a great deal and decades of daily keyboard use hasn't changed that), and it seems almost like there's a weird contempt among a lot of the playerbase towards the extended content. I wouldn't be surprised if Hell or Pan eventually get trimmed some, they've remained relatively static compared to most every other branch.

Shady Amish Terror fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Feb 5, 2019

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Pffhaha. Just learned that if you set down cure mutation and benemut potions and wander off somewhere, they degrade into regular mutation potions.

Bluh? What? Why? How does that make any sense compared to other potions, what does that accomplish?

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007

Serephina posted:

Bluh? What? Why? How does that make any sense compared to other potions, what does that accomplish?

I suspect it's a glitch or some overlooked legacy code or something, given how long ago both of those potions were removed in the main fork. It doesn't seem like something that's likely to come up often, admittedly, those aren't items people are going to stash on the rare occasion they even find them, but I goof around in dumb ways on the rare occasions I play.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I take back my taking back of criticizing IK's weird loyalty to mainbranch.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I'm being trolled by the game so hard. I get a +9 quickblade from acquirement super early and it lets me shred everything. All I need is a brand weapon scroll to make it viable weapon.

Well I wait and wait and wait but I never find a brand weapon scroll, aside from one in a bazaar I can't buy. With no brand, the quickblade is starting to fall off. I don't have anything to use against high AC enemies. Even with my slaying bonuses and Wu's storm I'm having trouble killing some foes. But once Ir each Depths:5 I FINALLY get my hands on one and;

quote:

As you read the scroll of brand weapon, it crumbles to dust.
_Your +9 quick blade drips with poison.
_a - a +9 quick blade of venom (weapon)

:suicide: :suicide: :suicide:

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Pffhaha. Just learned that if you set down cure mutation and benemut potions and wander off somewhere, they degrade into regular mutation potions. Teaches me for trying to stockpile them. Oh well, lesson learned, that's what mega-Zigs are for. :v:

I think I missed some save compatibility code, I'll fix it after work.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007

Floodkiller posted:

Bear in mind I think I'm at least one if not multiple versions back. If it's something you've already looked at, I might just be behind the update. E: Yeah, my build's from November, apparently. I'm always lazy about updating.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Internet Kraken posted:

I'm being trolled by the game so hard. I get a +9 quickblade from acquirement super early and it lets me shred everything. All I need is a brand weapon scroll to make it viable weapon.

Well I wait and wait and wait but I never find a brand weapon scroll, aside from one in a bazaar I can't buy. With no brand, the quickblade is starting to fall off. I don't have anything to use against high AC enemies. Even with my slaying bonuses and Wu's storm I'm having trouble killing some foes. But once Ir each Depths:5 I FINALLY get my hands on one and;

:suicide: :suicide: :suicide:

What's considered the best brand these days? On my last run I was using a maxed out battleaxe of vampirism that carried me through the entire game and that I only switched out against dummies it didn't work against.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Context sensitive. A lovely +1 short sword of venom on D1 will carry nonviable race combos to lair at least, while for extended holy wrath is ideal. A "battleaxe of vamp" is literally the stereotypical weapon used to describe how you don't need the heaviest weapon variant nor 'best' lategame brand to get though the normal game, which is where most people die. For a quickblade he was probably hoping for lightning, with draining/distortion/frost as good second choices. Shame that weapon brand scrolls are strongly weighted to crap like vorpal, eh.

FWIW my SpEn (from yeaaaars ago) used a lightning rapier for Zot. I also had a Halfling clear out most of extended using an ordinary sling with a random brand. So, uh, biggest&best isn't always necessary.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Floodkiller posted:

Fixed

Also removed Charms and Hexes from the random Hell miscast effects, which removes the potential for getting glow. This is just a quick change to do, but I still want to look into if they need more trimming and some special effects for each Hell.

Finally, toned down OOF's new Malmutate to only be 1-3 points of stat drain for each stat. I may have just been updating tired and forgot how absolutely lethal 2-5 is per cast on an OOF for any species with low stat bases.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Here’s my pitch for Malmutate: it goes back to mutating you but it takes like five~ standard turns to charge and you can interrupt it with any damage. Rocks. Smites. Fireballs, anything. So it’s a wind up that makes him vulnerable and if you can’t get to him or out of range by then, you get zapped.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Floodkiller-Senpai, how does one build a build? Github scares me

Metoron
Jun 5, 2006
Hurm.

Cynic Jester posted:

Floodkiller-Senpai, how does one build a build? Github scares me

lol

Gooncrawl Windows Tiles Dev Build for 05, February 2019

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w2d3o1a9ger7qa0/gooncrawl-win64-tiles-05-02-19.zip?dl=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Yer dangerous!

Thanks