Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Dallan Invictus posted:

The thing I've never gotten about this debate is that this whole thing is what the "emigration push" aspect of the current system - that is, overpop slowing down pop growth and adding to emigration push instead - is supposed to represent, the autonomous movement of pops due to crowding and employment pressures (among other things).

Is the problem that the individual pops stick around - that is, that overpopulated planets never stop being overpopulated and leaving alerts in your outliner?

Or that the push factors and/or growth penalties are too low so players feel required to using manual resettling to speed it up?

Or that the equilibrium point where overpop zeros pop growth entirely is too high? I know that I only ever hit that limit when I introduced a mod that hiked pop growth rates significantly by making them exponential.
I sorta touched on this in a previous post but I probably wasnt clear enough - if a planet is at max capacity for jobs and housing, pops will continue to grow. The more unemployed pops there are/the less housing available, the higher the emigration push is. However, new pops will continue to grow. The immortal god ruler of of the star nation can compel pops to move for a fee, but these pops cannot move wholesale under their own volition. The only effect these new growing pops will have will be slightly more immigration push.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I sorta touched on this in a previous post but I probably wasnt clear enough - if a planet is at max capacity for jobs and housing, pops will continue to grow. The more unemployed pops there are/the less housing available, the higher the emigration push is. However, new pops will continue to grow. The immortal god ruler of of the star nation can compel pops to move for a fee, but these pops cannot move wholesale under their own volition.

The thing is that they are moving of their own volition, that's what emigration push is. Growth rate slows down and eventually stops, emigration push keeps rising (there may be a cap, I haven't noticed it.) It's just abstracted in a way that treats pops more as masses than as individuals (maybe for performance reasons?) and that, for reasons that confuse me, seems broadly unsatisfying.

The one change I would make to this setup is to a) boost the emigration push factors significantly, and b) remove the hard cap on overcrowding and instead make it so pop on a given planet goes into decline if the impact of emigration push (or other factors like, say, food shortages) exceeds pop growth rates. But b) in particular might add calculation overhead and frankly performance is bad enough.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Dallan Invictus posted:

The thing I've never gotten about this debate is that this whole thing is what the "emigration push" aspect of the current system - that is, overpop slowing down pop growth and adding to emigration push instead - is supposed to represent, the autonomous movement of pops due to crowding and employment pressures (among other things).

Is the problem that the individual pops stick around - that is, that overpopulated planets never stop being overpopulated and leaving alerts in your outliner?

Or that the push factors and/or growth penalties are too low so players feel required to using manual resettling to speed it up?

Or that the equilibrium point where overpop zeros pop growth entirely is too high? I know that I only ever hit that limit when I introduced a mod that hiked pop growth rates significantly by making them exponential.
Yes, yes, and yes, but mainly a lack of player control over all of the above. Overpopulated planets are unhappy planets, but by the time you start actually getting overpopulated planets it's trivial for you to deal with them, but none of the ways feel like actual decisions as opposed to just busywork.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
You can just halt growth? I don't see how that's terribly much busywork, you just do it once per planet and that's it. You still get emigration push. Yes, it does mean less overall population growth than if you resettle pops manually, but judging by AI difficulty and (especially) late-game performance I don't see any reason to super-maximize population numbers as it is. If you insist on manual relocation to min-max pop growth and complain about it being too much busywork, I think that's on you, and not something you should blame the game for.

Then again I think the fact that you're even able to manually relocate billions of people instantly across the galaxy for a small amount of energy is utterly stupid, so not doing it doesn't bother me. That said, as the game currently works I also don't think that just removing the ability to do so would meaningfully improve the game, so.... *shrug*

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Really most of these problems could have been solved by just removing manual pop movement (and manual job movement).

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Removing resettlement could definitely be an improvement to the system if they overhauled emigration push a little bit. Right now immigration maxes out at 5 for any given planet but the system could definitely work really well if the immigration attraction mechanic was more robust.

For authoritarian empires it would be neat if the thrall world mechanic resulted in a high modifier to emigration without impacting the planets growth.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

AG3 posted:

You can just halt growth? I don't see how that's terribly much busywork, you just do it once per planet and that's it. You still get emigration push. Yes, it does mean less overall population growth than if you resettle pops manually, but judging by AI difficulty and (especially) late-game performance I don't see any reason to super-maximize population numbers as it is. If you insist on manual relocation to min-max pop growth and complain about it being too much busywork, I think that's on you, and not something you should blame the game for.

Then again I think the fact that you're even able to manually relocate billions of people instantly across the galaxy for a small amount of energy is utterly stupid, so not doing it doesn't bother me. That said, as the game currently works I also don't think that just removing the ability to do so would meaningfully improve the game, so.... *shrug*
We're in agreement though. The existing resettlement mechanics are silly, and should be replaced with policy and decision based equivalents with different upsides and downsides that suit different empires. I think the growth decisions are good: you can leave it be, reduce it at the cost of resources, or halt it at the cost of unrest. Their only problem is that the game is so pop growth focussed that turning off growth is a bad idea. We have an immigration decision but something similar to the growth decisions for emigration would be good. As would being able to set parts at policy level.

Also please do not pull out the tired old min-maxing is bad / why bother when the AI is so bad chestnuts it just undermines the rest of your points.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

:smithicide:

With tiles you can make planets like this useful. But this?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

ded posted:

Research planet.

Or suck it up and just fill it with farms anyway. It's a crappy modifier but it's not the end of the world.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
Yeah, -10% isn't terrible. It's not ideal, but if the world's in your borders already...

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Eh, with 2.2 I never once saw an only-positive planet modifier, it was either all bad or something maybe good with something definitely bad and honestly it kinda sucks.

I would download Guilli's but I play MP with some friends who dont like to play with mods because so many of them are unbalanced or cause crashes.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

ded posted:

Research planet. Alloy planet. Ecumenopolis. Farm planet anyway (120% productivity vs 130%). Terraform it to ditch the modifier (does this still work? I don't terraform much)

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

ded posted:

Hello Ecumenopolis.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Splicer posted:

Research planet. Alloy planet. Ecumenopolis. Farm planet anyway (120% productivity vs 130%). Terraform it to ditch the modifier (does this still work? I don't terraform much)

https://stellaris.paradoxwikis.com/Celestial_body#Celestial_body_modifiers

Some are removed by terraforming. Such as bleak, the one in question.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

DatonKallandor posted:

Hello Ecumenopolis.

Oh hell. I just got megacorp still finding out the new stuff.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

I kinda wish Ecumenopoli had vastly increased food demands for the pops living there to represent that it's a planet crammed full of people, with less per-person output. Basically pops there are "bigger" so they eat more because they also represent all the billions of people that aren't working for you, they just live there.

That might actually stop it from being quite so overpowered too, if you need a bunch of breadbasket worlds to keep Coruscant from starving.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

ded posted:

Even without terraforming that planet looks pretty good. Oh no your huge agricultural world is slightly less than perfect, how sad

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

If I'm playing as a Devouring Swarm, and I take over an enemy world, how do I replace their planetary building with a Hive Nexus?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

tithin posted:

If I'm playing as a Devouring Swarm, and I take over an enemy world, how do I replace their planetary building with a Hive Nexus?

It should happen automatically but if it doesn't (as seems to be the case with primitives) delete it and a Nexus will spawn

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

MrL_JaKiri posted:

It should happen automatically but if it doesn't (as seems to be the case with primitives) delete it and a Nexus will spawn

How do I delete it? Can't replace / downgrade / disable or repair them?

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

I'm doing a max-trade-value built megacorp run as fanatic 'phile authoritarian space foxes. Spent about 2240 to 2290 in a constant series of rotating wars, slowly losing fleet power to keep up spending on fort stations and losing a chunk of not-yet-colonized space before finally locating, charting, and in 2281 settling the Fen Habbanis system.

Within three years I've got two full forge arcologies, settled two new worlds for more minerals, and I'm working on a third fleet to complement the two which are up to full strength. I've taken bites out of two of the three neighbors, including the homeworld of the first aggressor and every possession except the home system and a colony of the hive mind.

I did wind up in a war again with my corporate rivals to the south, Equivalent to my triple fleets and about my size in claimed vacuum in 2289, but I had 4k alloys banked and four anchorage stations about to finish upgrading, plus citadels at the two border choke points from the last war.

Then as I'm about to invade them, raising a couple armies from every world, the Khan wakes up. The treaty-protected remnants of my other enemies are the only thing between space steppe archers and my employees, and they're gone immediately. I can probably beat one of their fleets with the four of mine massed, in the open, maybe two at my all-plasma-platform pulsar citadel.

Instead I bent the loving knee, demobilized my army, and colonized four more 18+ worlds. Did you folks know that the satrapy "volunteer" fleet which gets plonked in your home system will engage enemies in your space? My competitors seemed to be unaware of this, which was neat because they wrecked their fleets right before my Dread Masters' expansion fleets arrived.

I started getting refugees within five years, and then notifications that pops of my founder species are for sale. By 2310 I am selling something like 700 food and 40 alloys per month (still a 200/mo surplus) and buying every slave I can find to "free" into an employee slot. Ecumenopolis is at 130ish pops with only the Capitol, cybernetics building, clone vats and clinics for buildings.

My homeworld is also 120+ pops, a lot of slaves have been freed to a life of mindless paperwork drudgery, as I've got probably a dozen Commercial Zones, plus city districts, numismatic shrine, merchant guilds (once I got too big I reformed into an Oligarchy), and everything else I can put together. Currently 397 trade value just from the homeworld, the entire trade network is secure thanks to Anchorages with a few hangars slapped on and is bringing in I think also just under 400.

Just unlocked the Arcology project, dope because there was also a size 22 arid planet in the Fen Habbanis system, and it's going to he my consumer goods eco. And, now that I don't need to spend on fleet expansion, I just landed colony ships on every remaining uncolonized world within my borders.

I've got a couple of former hive mind worlds with hive mind capitals; my plan is to resettle their populations when the new colonies pop up and abandon those worlds to recognize with a proper building (googling resulted in this being the only way to accomplish it). By the time the replacement colonies are founded, I will have more pops from my twenty+ established worlds to swap in.

Pretty sure another twenty years and maybe unlocking battleships will put me on par with the Khan. He's being held in a couple of places but is wrecking a solid half of the galaxy right now, AND eating 145ish of my minerals per month.

Then at that point I will basically be at the critical mass point, until the crisis fires. Pretty sure this is the first game of Stellaris where I will actually play long enough to break into the endgame!

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Here is a suggestion for you dark: realign the rewards on a lot of events to alloys. Choosing between 100 influence and 500 minerals isn't ever going to be the minerals (unless you're trying to provoke the other side into a war). However, for 300-500 alloys I might go for it.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

ded posted:

23 districts before you even clear out the blockers is incredible, though? That's a really, really good planet. -10% to food growing isn't going to matter with how much farming you can get going there, and later (or now if you want I suppose?) you can transition it beautifully into a major research, consumer good, or alloy planet, and later still make it a city planet.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

tithin posted:

How do I delete it? Can't replace / downgrade / disable or repair them?

Are you still in the war?

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

I'm exploring the endgame content for the first time and lot of the endgame stuff like mega-structures seems... really inefficient in terms of resource use. I'm assuming this is on purpose and they're basically supposed to be the empire equivalent of dickwaving. You also have to sacrifice perks for them???

That said me slapping down a massive massive fortress citadel and Ringworld in the L-Gate terminus seems to have made everyone very angry. Telling them to piss off with their weapons inspectors probably didn't help but I totally am building a planet-buster there so uhhh i'm going to blow up all their home planets just because they're being huge assholes about this.

Except for the space penguins they seem super chill.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Saros posted:

I'm exploring the endgame content for the first time and lot of the endgame stuff like mega-structures seems... really inefficient in terms of resource use. I'm assuming this is on purpose and they're basically supposed to be the empire equivalent of dickwaving. You also have to sacrifice perks for them???

Yeah, common complaints about megastructures are 1) they come too late in the game to be very meaningful, by the time you can build them you've usually long since "won" and 2) their costs don't make a ton of sense. The latter isn't that big of a deal because of the former, since as you surmise they're basically a victory lap. But it still means there isn't much of a point to building them, which is kind of a bummer.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Bold Robot posted:

Yeah, common complaints about megastructures are 1) they come too late in the game to be very meaningful, by the time you can build them you've usually long since "won" and 2) their costs don't make a ton of sense. The latter isn't that big of a deal because of the former, since as you surmise they're basically a victory lap. But it still means there isn't much of a point to building them, which is kind of a bummer.

Also 3) even if you have the ability to the pay the costs, you are still hardlocked to only have one megastructure building at a time.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Eh, that's pretty accurate to the general science fiction idea really. If you can build a ringworld then you don't need one.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Darkrenown posted:

They feel pretty weak and I would like to buff them. MEs end up super OP next patch.

:yeshaha:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

BTW I was not able to replicate the fleet manager issue or the pop job issue that you had asked for more info about last Friday.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Thanks for trying. I asked our QA to keep an eye out too.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Mapgoons have concluded a 4 week game of Stellaris which could have easily gone on for two more but we got through like 12 years in the last one because of lag. If paradox release 2.2.4 this week then we’re gonna start a new one on Saturday, otherwise we’ll wait another week.

It was hella rad even though the galaxy gen kinda broke and nobody got their guaranteed starting planets. 24 players in a 600 star galaxy makes the game sad.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Anyone who hasn't downloaded the auto resettlement mod should imo. It makes the game so much better to play in the mid-late game. You can focus on the macro level of clicking a bunch of districts and then you can largely ignore pop shuffling poo poo aside from pushing out 10 dudes to anyplace you happen to colonize.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1617534169

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Feb 6, 2019

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Anyone who hasn't downloaded the auto resettlement mod should imo. It makes the game so much better to play in the mid-late game. You can focus on the macro level of clicking a bunch of districts and then you can largely ignore pop shuffling poo poo aside from pushing out 10 dudes to anyplace you happen to colonize.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1599341971

The word salad description makes me skeptical but this sounds pretty cool. Mid-to-late-game pop reshuffling micro is bad and should be eliminated.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Bold Robot posted:

The word salad description makes me skeptical but this sounds pretty cool. Mid-to-late-game pop reshuffling micro is bad and should be eliminated.

I'm stupid as hell and posted the link to the wrong mod. The corrected one is https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1617534169

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

You see how the purple empire here has a mostly-black background, instead of being mostly-white, like every other empire? What do you have to do with the color settings to make that happen? It's not as simple as flipping the primary/secondary colors when you create your empire.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

tithin posted:

It's fixed in 2.2.4

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

prefect posted:

You see how the purple empire here has a mostly-black background, instead of being mostly-white, like every other empire? What do you have to do with the color settings to make that happen? It's not as simple as flipping the primary/secondary colors when you create your empire.

I've absolutely made empires with black fill-in like that before. I wanna say it's as easy as making black your secondary color, even if you say it's not that easy.

I certainly didn't do anything special.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Nuclearmonkee posted:

I'm stupid as hell and posted the link to the wrong mod. The corrected one is https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1617534169
This thread is cursed :ninja:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

ConfusedUs posted:

I've absolutely made empires with black fill-in like that before. I wanna say it's as easy as making black your secondary color, even if you say it's not that easy.

I certainly didn't do anything special.

Maybe I'm using the wrong shade of black. There do seem to be a couple of them. Really need to figure this out.