Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Ferrinus posted:

You actually don’t see, I think - Zod tackles Clark down at the earth, there’s a cut, next we see they’re hurtling down and somehow it’s Zod on the bottom being tackled by Clark. You definitely have the right read - Superman caught a lucky break and had to capitalize before he lost the edge - but we don’t get to see how it happened. If it was up to me I’d tie it to Clark’s cape somehow, although it’s hard to do that without wandering into slapstick territory.

This is what we get to see:

https://i.imgur.com/8sSpgIO.gifv

They're tumbling over each other throughout the fight, sometimes Zod on top, sometimes Superman. Superman's break is that he's on top when they slam into the train station, with Zod perhaps momentarily frozen when he sees they're about to hit. But I think we see enough to see that there isn't some major advantage that Superman exploits. I don't think there's anything in the bit that gets obscured by the flames as they crash that is anything as specific as, like, his cape tripping up Zod (though we see pretty much the opposite, at the beginning). It's just, they hit, Zod took the hit worse, so Superman has a moment to get him in a hold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!

Ferrinus posted:

I also agree with Captain Jesus that it would’ve been nice to know what the fight ending could look like. A literal neck snap would be too clear a spoiler, but generally knowing that one incapacitated Kryptonian could off another would lend a little more drama to e.g. Clark stumbling in a daze after a heavy blow or explosion. Onnnn the other hand, literally not knowing how or even if the fight could end has its own appeal.

It's true that since it's not established that kryptonians can get hurt on earth and Zod is actually getting stronger during the final fight, it has this ominous "end of the world" tone as it looks like these two guys are gonna be punching each other until there's nothing left. Especially when they bring down the satellite. I like that. Zod's death still comes out of nowhere though.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

lol

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

This is the important part.

It's not just a random cutaway and then Clark wins. He wins because he senses Lois nearby.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I can see that. Similar to Perry and Jenny inspiring Superman while he's fighting the world engine.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

This is the important part.

It's not just a random cutaway and then Clark wins. He wins because he senses Lois nearby.

My god, you're right.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

This little moment is so loving good.

Violator
May 15, 2003

In BvS, I've always liked how Alfred wanted Bruce to do his thing as a normal person and not as the toxic Bat.

"The Bat interrogated six people and came away with nothing. It was Bruce Wayne who got the information."

I also like how the suit isn't something he can throw in a briefcase and carry around. Bruce tells Alfred, "I'm going to need the suit." This isn't something Bruce can throw on easily, it's a difficult transformation into an other that requires them both.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
This characterization of Superman isn’t a lot of fun. I don’t much like watching this take on the character. For entertainment value, it’s definitely got nothing on Marvel’s many extended families of squabbling quip-machines. And I don’t really like Snyder’s version of Superman. I wouldn’t want to hang out with him. And yet I respect the purity and brutality of Snyder’s goofy-rear end vision.

Someone actually invoking that idea of good characters are ones I can be friends with.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

Also, I can’t claim to understand how the Kryptonian genetic codex is supposed to work, but it seems like Superman has billions of baby zygotes living in his blood, or something? That’s pretty weird!

That is pretty weird

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

That article was linked in gen chat, it's pretty bad

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

That is pretty weird
I always love this kind of plot summary.

"Then the characters, like, get in a car or something? But it's really stupid and makes no sense. And then they... go somewhere? I dunno it sucks."

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Zack Snyder's movies are too long.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Stretching infinitely to the horizon, they defy your puny sense of Euclidean propriety

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

Zack Snyder's movies are too long.

Zack Snyder's movies don't go too long enough

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Zack Snyder's movies aren't thicc enough. I mean, they are pretty thicc, but they could use more thiccness.

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
Paul W.S. Anderson's films are much more entertaining than Snyder's. Each Resident Evil film has more commentary going on than all of Snyder's films put together.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Slutitution posted:

Paul W.S. Anderson's films are much more entertaining than Snyder's. Each Resident Evil film has more commentary going on than all of Snyder's films put together.

I don't agree, but even if I did agree that Anderson's have more to say, they still look like poo poo visually compared to Snyder. The only thing Anderson's ever made that I enjoyed just on a visual level was Event Horizon.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Paul W.S. Anderson makes the movies that people who hate Zack Snyder think Zack Snyder makes.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Slutitution posted:

more commentary going on

:hmmyes:

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

I'm interested in knowing the CPM (Commentaries Per Minute) of Synder's films compared to others, frankly

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Slutitution posted:

I look forward to your Paul WS Anderson megathread and the Event Horizon memes that it will inspire.

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

ruddiger posted:

I look forward to your Paul WS Anderson megathread and the Event Horizon memes that it will inspire.

The Resident Evil films highlight concepts and issues such as big pharma/monopolies, the MIC, environmentalism, artificial intelligence, overpopulation, feminism, science, and late capitalism in general.

The notable standout in Snyder's career is a superman film where saving poor people comes off as a tedious, unenthusiastic task for superman.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Slutitution posted:

I would be willing to accept this about almost anything if anyone bothered to articulate it, I don't really feel particularly attached to or precious about Snyder, he just makes good movies. No one is stopping anyone from talking about movies and what makes them good!

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Slutitution posted:

The notable standout in Snyder's career is a superman film where saving poor people comes off as a tedious, unenthusiastic task for superman.

Every person Superman has to save is yet another person society has otherwise failed. Superman is right to be miserable.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Slutitution posted:

The Resident Evil films highlight concepts and issues such as big pharma/monopolies, the MIC, environmentalism, artificial intelligence, overpopulation, feminism, science, and late capitalism in general.

What do Anderson's films have to say about those things you highlighted?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Saving people is not a happy task.

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mechafunkzilla posted:

What do Anderson's films have to say about those things you highlighted?

Feminism is kicking a zombie dog in the face, obviously.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2
The moment in the last Resident Evil movie where Alice destroys the preserved Umbrella executives is really just a ripoff of "Krypton had it's chance!" from Man of Steel, if you think about it

https://i.imgur.com/6Cx3yq9.mp4

Violator
May 15, 2003

Slutitution posted:

Isn't Suckerpunch super dense with subtext, but everyone reads it at face value?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Slutitution posted:

Feminism is kicking a zombie dog in the face, obviously.

You forgot which director you were throwing pithy zingers at.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Violator posted:

Isn't Suckerpunch super dense with subtext, but everyone reads it at face value?

I'd have to rewatch to really feel certain but my first reaction is ehhhhhhhhhh no.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Suckerpunch is pretty eh for me too. I saw it in theaters, and thought it looked nice, but I didn’t really find myself engaged with it. Maybe I need to give it another shot.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

It's a tragedy WS Anderson didnt get his paraplegic orgy scene in Event Horizon.

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

McSpanky posted:

You forgot which director you were throwing pithy zingers at.

I don't think I did.

Uncle Wemus posted:

It's a tragedy WS Anderson didnt get his paraplegic orgy scene in Event Horizon.

It's a tragedy how most of the workprint footage of Event Horizon is lost forever.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Basebf555 posted:

I'd have to rewatch to really feel certain but my first reaction is ehhhhhhhhhh no.

Nah he’s right. The ‘problem’ with Sickerpunch is that the dance-action scenes are purposefully generic so that they operate on at least two levels at all times.

For example: the dance-fight against killer robots on the train reads as simple fascist violence to the rapist nerd, whereas the women themselves perceive it as a message of liberation. The scene is literally about their struggle to unite and obtain weapons with which to defend themselves against such rapists. So the robots simultaneously represent subhuman Arabs/Jews and the patriarchy.

Unless you take both these incompatible perspectives into account, the action comes across as nothing but idiotic spectacle. You miss that the stupid action has a kernel of truth to it, and you also miss out on the characterization. The dances are autobiographical. The robots have transparent dome heads, as a callback to the shattered lightbulb in the opening scene and so-on.

Another example of the film’s (over)complexity working against it is the asylum setting. Most people conclude that the film is about women trapped in a mental institution. But in the Lacanian triad (of imaginary, symbolic, and real) the symbolic level is your ‘everyday’ reality. This means the film is actually about women working in a brothel, and the asylum is ‘just’ a collective nightmare.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Feb 8, 2019

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

For example: the dance-fight against killer robots on the train reads as simple fascist violence to the rapist nerd, whereas the women themselves perceive it as a message of liberation. The scene is literally about their struggle to unite and obtain weapons with which to defend themselves against such rapists. So the robots simultaneously represent subhuman Arabs/Jews and the patriarchy.

It's still super-funny that the bonus material on my DVD has animated shorts that show that the robots where actually the good guys suicide bombing a human metropolis to liberate their robot brethren, or some such.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

For a second I thought the color wheel was a subtle burn