Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mumbling
Feb 7, 2015

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The best 3D Sonic game is Sonic Colours :colbert:.

I feel like Sonic Colors gets forgotten as a good Sonic game because Generations was so widely reviewed as “finally a good Sonic game” that people assume anything before it was bad.

Also, like several games before it, there is a gimmick in the form of wisps powers, but it’s a gimmick that actually complements gameplay and exploration rather than dividing the game into good sections and bad sections.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mumbling posted:

I feel like Sonic Colors gets forgotten as a good Sonic game because Generations was so widely reviewed as “finally a good Sonic game” that people assume anything before it was bad.

Also, like several games before it, there is a gimmick in the form of wisps powers, but it’s a gimmick that actually complements gameplay and exploration rather than dividing the game into good sections and bad sections.

Sonic Generations doesn't do it any favours either, because the Planet Wisp level somehow wound up being atrociously terrible.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Sonic Generations doesn't do it any favours either, because the Planet Wisp level somehow wound up being atrociously terrible.

Planet Wisp was one of my favorite levels from Colors but Generations seemingly cranked up the difficulty on all of the Modern stages. It felt like my old man hands couldn't keep up with half of the stuff on screen.

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Screw Attack is rebranding to be a Death Battle only channel now which is like, okay whatever. But they're also seemingly in the process of privatizing all their old videos which is like around...thir-thirteen years worth of stuff that's gonna be "gone" now. A bunch of it was trash but still that was stuff from 2006 that somehow still survived on YouTube over for over a decade.

Poor 'Fanservice Fiesta', ditched yet again.

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I do not like it when people make up lore about living people who might read it.

Olly ran the joke by me weeks ago.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

FoldableHuman posted:

Poor 'Fanservice Fiesta', ditched yet again.

Olly ran the joke by me weeks ago.

Wait, that guy was still going?

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Mumbling posted:

People seem to have selective amnesia when it comes to Sonic games. I remember when certain people thought that Sonic 4 would be the franchise's last chance to redeem itself.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Alacron posted:

Don't want this to go unappreciated, nice video about a show I knew nothing about.

This series is really a nice piece of cultural history, documenting things that might be lost forever as the principal players begin to die.

The Vegetable Soup episode especially moved me. It really captures how something important has been squeezed out of our culture and underscored to me how, even though America has always been viciously racist, we’re enduring a period of decline toward something bad.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuy7jKRNu5w

Kim done a good video. :) Your girlfriend is very wrong tho. :(

I've still got to watch your 100 greatest games vid - see if I remember any of them! :P

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP
I'm watching this, and already I have a question: exactly what did the Cannon Group do with the making of the film? I checked IMDB and Wikipedia, and the only times the Cannon name crops up is as distributor, and under "Production Company" in the wiki article. But that article also says that Thorn EMI financed the film and it was distributed in America by 20th Century Fox, so what was Cannon's involvement?

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Spark That Bled posted:

I'm watching this, and already I have a question: exactly what did the Cannon Group do with the making of the film? I checked IMDB and Wikipedia, and the only times the Cannon name crops up is as distributor, and under "Production Company" in the wiki article. But that article also says that Thorn EMI financed the film and it was distributed in America by 20th Century Fox, so what was Cannon's involvement?

Cannon bought Thorn EMI and their library in 1986, and their name is on the original posters. Even if they probably didn't have an awful lot to do with it it's generally classed as one of their films and it's fair to say that they'd have had the rights when Ocean came calling (the turnaround for getting these licenses and making games from them wasn't exactly slow).

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Spark That Bled posted:

People seem to have selective amnesia when it comes to Sonic games. I remember when certain people thought that Sonic 4 would be the franchise's last chance to redeem itself.

even as someone who went in to sonic 4 expecting it to be poo poo, i was really taken aback by just how godfuckinawful it was. that game does not get anywhere near the hate it deserves, it's just astonishingly bad. it's not quite on the level of boom or 06, but it's not all that far behind them either. the best part is how episode 2 actually improved on some things, while making others way worse somehow. those fuckin boss fights in episode 2 were excruciating.

just, gently caress, how did that game happen. even better question, how on earth are there actually defenders for that game, i've seen a fair few people say it's actually good and it absolutely boggles my mind.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

It's a nice start, especially after Anime Matsuri went to the wall to declare they'd still bring Vic back even after everything. It was like they co-signed a loan with him.

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Feb 5, 2019

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Anime Matsuri is a garbage organization that screws all of its guests, while being run by a sex pest and his apologist. Of course they'd go all in on Vic.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Dawgstar posted:

It's a nice start, especially after Anime Matsuri went to the wall to declare they'd still bring Vic back even after everything. It was like they co-signed a loan with him.

Good for them to toss his rear end. Now, if they would stop making RWBY as well, things would be Golden.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Want to see someone get ridiculously excited over a small Pac-Man replica cabinet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiLqJ7QRHiA

Featuring pet rats! :3:

More people should regularly include their pets in their reviews.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Mumbling posted:

It got released on one system, the Wii, and that was during its waning years when the 360 and PS3 has another couple good years left in them. Also, Generations was announced less than six months later which took any attention away from it.

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

BigRed0427 posted:

Wait, that guy was still going?

Turns out yes, he posted a new video two hours ago, but hasn't posted anything on Screwattack for three years.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

jared kushner's brother pretty much owns patreon now LOL

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Groovelord Neato posted:

jared kushner's brother pretty much owns patreon now LOL

:whitewater:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Well, hopefully it follows the standard course of any property owned by a Kushner and leaves them outrageously in debt (because for a family of billionaires, the Kushners actually kinda stuck at doing money :ssh:)

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

dan had a good thread earlier about it:

https://twitter.com/FoldableHuman/status/1092847048565481472

when i saw it he hadn't pointed out kushner was the ceo of thrive capital but i knew the name sounded familiar.

the guy running patreon is a loving idiot. why can none of these dudes be happy with a profitable company they own. everything's gotta be some tech titan.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Feb 5, 2019

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

the guy running patreon is a loving idiot. why can none of these dudes be happy with a profitable company they own. everything's gotta be some tech titan.
Sociopathy, addiction to money, obsession with winning a metaphorical dick measuring contest, take your pick.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
It's even simpler, honestly. Anything that does not make All Of The Money Ever is deemed a failure, no matter how profitable it is. That's sorta been a thing for a while; it's just spreading.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
https://mobile.twitter.com/Tahroo5/status/1092879628828622848

:lol:

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

Groovelord Neato posted:

greed is good

Watching Geek Critique's video on Sonic 06 led me to his Sonic Heroes review and boy, that game was a piece of poo poo.

New on GB or BB: 365 Days, a movie summed up as "Domestic Abuse & Incest". I really want to know what the director was thinking.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Groovelord Neato posted:

:capitalism:

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Dragonatrix posted:

It's even simpler, honestly. Anything that does not make All Of The Money Ever is deemed a failure, no matter how profitable it is. That's sorta been a thing for a while; it's just spreading.

Isn't this just what happened with Buzzfeed and their layoffs? They actually made a pretty big profit, but because the profit wasn't as big as someone projected it to be they decided to 'restructure'.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Capitalism is a disease and must be destroyed.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Capitalism is just the symptom.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
Dan go on Chapo

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Give me Shaun or give me death.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i wish i had thought up patreon.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Seriously it's such a good idea and once you iron out all the links it seems really easily scaleable, it's p much printing money with how needed it turned out to be.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

alas the guy who founded it thought taking in over a hundred million dollars in vc money was a great idea.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

Zedd posted:

Seriously it's such a good idea and once you iron out all the links it seems really easily scaleable, it's p much printing money with how needed it turned out to be.

They can add extra services as well, there are a heap of artists on patreon, if you added functionality to handle commissions, it'd be even better for them.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Goa Tse-tung posted:

Dan go on Chapo

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

The pain in the rear end for Patreon, and why turning into a creaking monstrosity was always probably inevitable, is that it sits at the intersection of a few things:

- There is a path to making what they'd call "market dominating money", but

- The marginal value of individual users is small (in part because they charge too little, since users, even ones who are making money, are weird about spending money), and

- They've hired a tech and leadership team that thinks the best and smartest way to acquire more users is to burn money in trash bins. Usually through marketing. Marketing budgets are universally batshit.

I touch computers (and I make most of my money from consulting for these piñatas) but I pretty firmly believe in sustainable business models and I've been thinking for a while now about how Patreon screwed this up, mostly because they keep screwing it up in slightly different ways. They keep trying to unsubtly optimize for time-spent-on-Patreon, not value-to-Patreon-creators. Nobody goes on Patreon to "explore people they can support", they go because they're directly linked to that Patreon via the thing that people want to support. This is the sort of business that one or two people could run, could take a moderately higher percentage off the top (call it 10%, inclusive of payment fees--incentivizing the service to optimize those payment fees, you don't have to pay retail rates for Stripe/PayPal and there are other options besides), and make a sustainable business instead of some kind of eat-the-world thing. And moving off of Patreon is itself probably dangerous for creators at this point because their patrons will remember that they're giving them money and stop, or just not follow to a new platform. I don't know how to solve that without offering some kind of promotional match or something...at which point you need money...at which point you, too, need VC. gently caress.

I dunno. There are Patreon competitors, but they seem to be poorly designed and none of them seem to have the look of a service that's responsive to the needs of its users--they all just look like they kinda suck. I can see a way to do it incrementally, with services built into the platform over time to better support creators--like actually-private videos, it just isn't that expensive to do--that could be a win-win for everybody. The itch.io of Patreon, basically. I wonder if there's some appetite for something better like that.

(Anybody here do a lot with Patreon and have that appetite?)

tracecomplete fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Feb 6, 2019

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

AFashionableHat posted:

This is the sort of business that one or two people could run

that was the nuttiest thing about that medium post dan linked - how many people already worked at patreon BEFORE the new massive infusion of vc money. that's why i said i wish i had thought of it, me and a couple of pals coulda been the whole company.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Groovelord Neato posted:

that was the nuttiest thing about that medium post dan linked - how many people already worked at patreon BEFORE the new massive infusion of vc money. that's why i said i wish i had thought of it, me and a couple of pals coulda been the whole company.

You and a couple of pals could have been the whole company if you didn't make Patreon and instead made a smarter company. I've interviewed there before, and I've also got a LinkedIn Premium account so I've done a little snooping; they're very customer support heavy (implicit in something more sustainable is that you don't necessarily go-the-extra-mile in handholding or the like, you build better/smarter processes to avoid the need for it) and because they've reached out all their tentacles aiming for some kind of business model with a higher ROI they have a ton of knob-turners in their development/operations space who probably aren't actually important for running the thing people care about.

Normal people (at least the sorts of normal people who use Patreon) aren't that bad at things so as to need the kind of super-solicitous support that modern startups think they do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's like the opposite of the guy that made the dating site plenty of fish. it was taking in more money than patreon (i think they were making 10 mil a year or so) but pretty much the only people he hired were folks to go through picture uploads to clean up the naughty stuff.