Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
American Rushmore is such a challenge, since many of our most influential horror films were made by directors not considered horror directors.

I don't think a rushmore with Spielberg, Friedkin, and De Palma is necessarily incorrect. Their few movies in the horror genre were massively influential and will be remembered more than their non-horror output. But then you have Craven and Cronenberg (forgot he's Canadian) and Carpenter who put out multiple notable films in the horror genre.

It also depends on how you care to group them.

Stuart Gordon honestly deserves a place if you consider how much Re-Animator helped define horror tastes since the 80's. But Carpenter had been doing work since the 70's.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Feb 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
De Palma to me didn't have enough of an influence on the genre to justify putting him with guys like Romero, Carpenter, and even Craven and Hooper(who I consider to be lesser than the first two guys). I see De Palma more as someone who was extremely skilled at taking elements of more iconic director's work and incorporating it into his own.

But yea I think if you want to allow Hitchcock and Whale into the mix they have to be up there.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Franchescanado posted:

American Rushmore is such a challenge, since many of our most influential horror films were made by directors not considered horror directors.

I don't think a rushmore with Spielberg, Friedkin, and De Palma is necessarily incorrect. Their few movies in the horror genre were massively influential and will be remembered more than their non-horror output. But then you have Craven and Cronenberg (forgot he's Canadian) and Carpenter who put out multiple notable films in the horror genre.

Now I Just want a bunch of Cronenberg carved into the side of a mountain.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
It’s clearly James Wan, Eli Roth, Flanagan, and Joss Whedon

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Canadian Horror Rushmore

Cronenberg
?
?
?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'd love to make an argument for Gordon, but honestly we're talking about just Re-Animator here(the others are really not well known) and Re-Animator certainly isn't on the same level as something like Texas Chainsaw Massacre in terms of impact and influence. You can make the argument that Hooper deserves to be there just based on the strength of that one film but I don't think Re-Animator is really in the same category, as much as I love it.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

De Palma to me didn't have enough of an influence on the genre to justify putting him with guys like Romero, Carpenter, and even Craven and Hooper(who I consider to be lesser than the first two guys). I see De Palma more as someone who was extremely skilled at taking elements of more iconic director's work and incorporating it into his own.

But yea I think if you want to allow Hitchcock and Whale into the mix they have to be up there.

Basebf555 posted:

I'd love to make an argument for Gordon, but honestly we're talking about just Re-Animator here(the others are really not well known) and Re-Animator certainly isn't on the same level as something like Texas Chainsaw Massacre in terms of impact and influence. You can make the argument that Hooper deserves to be there just based on the strength of that one film but I don't think Re-Animator is really in the same category, as much as I love it.

I honestly just have an issue with Raimi. I love The Evil Dead series and Drag Me To Hell, but I don't think four films from 1980 to now is as influential as, like, Craven and Carpenter. There's no way to prove it, but I'd say that Carrie alone is more ingrained in pop culture and American film history than the entire Evil Dead trilogy. I mean, it is Stephen King.

Maybe it should just be Stephen King? He's technically a filmmaker.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Neo Rasa posted:

Canadian Horror Rushmore

Cronenberg
?
?
?

The Soskas maybe? The Astron-6 boys? There's lots of good one-off Canadian horror directors (your Bob Clarks, etc) but not a ton of prolific ones.

We get to claim Guillermo Del Toro since he lives here now, right?

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

flashy_mcflash posted:

The Soskas maybe? The Astron-6 boys? There's lots of good one-off Canadian horror directors (your Bob Clarks, etc) but not a ton of prolific ones.

We get to claim Guillermo Del Toro since he lives here now, right?

No, based on that criteria you could steal Romero from us.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

Maybe it should just be Stephen King? He's technically a filmmaker.

If you want to talk generally about minds that have defined what American horror is, you could argue that King is #1, and I think it would be a pretty strong argument.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Drunkboxer posted:

No, based on that criteria you could steal Romero from us.

That's exactly the criteria I was using :devil:

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

If you want to talk generally about minds that have defined what American horror is, you could argue that King is #1, and I think it would be a pretty strong argument.

I’d have a hell of a time not putting Poe as number 1, but King is up there.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Neo Rasa posted:

Canadian Horror Rushmore

Cronenberg
?
?
?

loving James Cameron and Denis Villeneuve, for a start. And let's just slap Ivan Reitman on there for Ghostbusters. And that's just sticking to the anglos.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Drunkboxer posted:

It's close, I'd probably side with Poe in the end just because his work speaks to me more than Kings does. But the sheer volume of material from King that has made it's way into the public consciousness through all sorts of different means is pretty insane.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

loving James Cameron and Denis Villeneuve, for a start. And let's just slap Ivan Reitman on there for Ghostbusters. And that's just sticking to the anglos.

Cameron’s only true horror movies are Piranha 2 and The Terminator. I’ll give you Aliens I guess, but I think that’s more of an action movie.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I was thinking of people that have directed only, or mostly, horror (which excludes Cameron and Villeneuve). Relaxing that criteria, I gotta throw my man Guy Maddin in there for Keyhole, which scared the living poo poo out of me.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get Ready for Price Time , Bitch

Roger Corman , John Carpenter , Wes Craven , George Romero.

There that's America's Horror Rushmore

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Drunkboxer posted:

Cameron’s only true horror movies are Piranha 2 and The Terminator. I’ll give you Aliens I guess, but I think that’s more of an action movie.

That's still 2 incredibly important movies that have greatly influenced the horror genre. Like Fran said about American directors, it's difficult because a lot of the greats aren't really horror directors primarily. Carpenter is a good example, he made a bunch of weird action and comedy stuff, a lot of people still think of him as the Big Trouble in Little China guy. And Sam Raimi made 3 entries in one of the most important horror series ever, then no horror movies for a really long time, then a mediocre horror movie that is largely forgotten, and yet a lot of people will still think of him as a horror guy and not "The Spider-man guy".

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

That's still 2 incredibly important movies that have greatly influenced the horror genre. Like Fran said about American directors, it's difficult because a lot of the greats aren't really horror directors primarily. Carpenter is a good example, he made a bunch of weird action and comedy stuff, a lot of people still think of him as the Big Trouble in Little China guy. And Sam Raimi made 3 entries in one of the most important horror series ever, then no horror movies for a really long time, then a mediocre horror movie that is largely forgotten, and yet a lot of people will still think of him as a horror guy and not "The Spider-man guy".

Yeah sure, I guess it’s more my personal perception of his work. It’s hard not to think of him as the insane rich submarine man who made Avatar and Titanic.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Really the Canadian mountain should just be a 5 hundred foot screen with Jason X projected on it. That way you have the best canadian film of all time up there and still have Cronenberg represented.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

All Canadian Rushmores by law, regardless of field, include the single most influential person in their field and then the members of Rush, so the fact that we can only think of Cronenberg is not a problem.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Rush is trash.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Hollismason posted:

Can't argue with the math.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

Rush is trash.

Sorry I couldn’t hear you because I was listening to side 1 of 2112 over and over again in my underwear.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Drunkboxer posted:

Sorry I couldn’t hear you because I was listening to side 1 of 2112 over and over again in my underwear.

In Canada that's called Sunday.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Drunkboxer posted:

:yeah:

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Drunkboxer posted:

:same:

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Drunkboxer posted:

Really the Canadian mountain should just be a 5 hundred foot screen with Jason X projected on it. That way you have the best canadian film of all time up there and still have Cronenberg represented.

Hey now, Hobo With A Shotgun would like a word

Also:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Drunkboxer posted:

Richard Matheson easily too is a contender. Think of how much he's written that even today is basically like 101 elevator pitch horror movie stories in the US. I would indeed put Poe as number one though.

A little earlier and I don't think he'd be on my list, but Nathaniel Hawthorne wrote a few good horror short stories too. There's a really cathartic one regarding someone who abuses animals getting mega owned while he's admiring medieval torturing devices.

Lurdiak posted:

Denis Villeneuve a man known for incredible and influential horror films such as

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Basebf555 posted:

When Italian horror is discussed, typically I assume we're talking the main Mount Rushmore guys, so Argento, Bava, and Fulci(we always debate who the fourth should be). And all three made films that are a lot looser in construction(in terms of plot) than the average American slasher that most of us grew up with.

I never looked at it as a Mount Rushmore thing but more a Triumvirate trio so at the top it's Argento/Bava/Fulci with the bottom left being Lenzi/Fragasso/Mattei and the bottom right being Soavi/Martino/and haven't figured on a third yet.

American horror's more the Mount Rushmore with Carpenter/Craven/Romero/Raimi/Castle/Corman.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Child's Play trailer is being dropped a day early in front of The Prodigy on Thursday, so there's that if you plan on seeing The Prodigy

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
If that Child's Play movie ends up being anything other than boring garbage I'll be shocked.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Hollismason posted:

You know what.

Yes.

Cormon not only directed a gently caress-ton of horror movies, he is herald to independent films and his studio birthed the careers of some of the greatest names in horror, like Dante and Demme.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I love that Jordan Peele made a horror movie of that "trust nobody, not even yourself" meme

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I love that Jordan Peele made a horror movie of that "trust nobody, not even yourself" meme

This October...watch out for...Hooded Kermit!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I brought up Stephen King, not because of where he stands in horror literature or American literature, but specifically because he's directed one memorable horror film himself, and he has more horror films with his name attached to it than pretty much anyone else. If not for him, we wouldn't have some of the biggest horror films of all time, including Carrie, The Shining, Pet Sematary, Christine, etc.

Like, sure, Poe is more influential to the history of American literature, but I'm pretty sure (without Google) that adaptations of his work pale in comparison to King's adaptations.

King also has done a lot of work in regards to horror films specifically, with At The Movies, Bare Bones, Danse Macabre and the many reviews he's made that launched films into the spotlight, like The Evil Dead.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

I brought up Stephen King, not because of where he stands in horror literature or American literature, but specifically because he's directed one memorable horror film himself, and he has more horror films with his name attached to it than pretty much anyone else. If not for him, we wouldn't have some of the biggest horror films of all time, including Carrie, The Shining, Pet Sematary, Christine, etc.

Like, sure, Poe is more influential to the history of American literature, but I'm pretty sure (without Google) that adaptations of his work pale in comparison to King's adaptations.

King also has done a lot of work in regards to horror films specifically, with At The Movies, Bare Bones, Danse Macabre and the many reviews he's made that launched films into the spotlight, like The Evil Dead.

I'm not sure that's actually true if we started adding it all up. Of course, Poe had a head start because King adaptations didn't start until the 70s.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

I'm not sure that's actually true if we started adding it all up. Of course, Poe had a head start because King adaptations didn't start until the 70s.

It’s a hard thing to figure out. Wikipedia lists the least 57 direct Poe adaptations, and if we consider King’s Dollar Babies as qualified adaptations, then it’s not even close. If we remove those, then it’s a much closer race.

Poe could possibly have more based on Black Cat adaptations alone.

It’s a flawed premise for a debate, though. I started thinking about King’s influence, and went down that rabbit hole.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Also, Poe movies, especially the Corman variety, have a habit of adapting more than one at a single time, often just using the title of one and the content of another. Like, do you count that as one adaptation of multiple stories or multiple adaptations in one movie?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

K. Waste posted:

Also, Poe movies, especially the Corman variety, have a habit of adapting more than one at a single time, often just using the title of one and the content of another. Like, do you count that as one adaptation of multiple stories or multiple adaptations in one movie?

Same question, but with anthology films.

Does King get bonus points for having written several original horror films like Storm of the Century and Creepshow? Or is it unfair advantage because Poe never had the opportunity to engage the format we're discussing?