Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

roomforthetuna posted:

I enjoy that there is literally no way to say this without coming across like a pretentious jackass.
Either you have not read the books, in which case you are dismissing them purely on prejudice, so you're a pretentious jackass, or...
you have read the books, in which case you're stupid because you read an entire series of books you didn't like.
Or maybe you've read some of the books, in which case you obviously read the wrong ones you idiot.

You could say most of the things BOTL posts in slightly different words and not come across nearly as pretentious and self-involved as they do. It's all about not being a smug rear end in a top hat looking down on other people's reading habits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Pratchett is decent but like someone said upthread, his whole thing has pretty much always been about making fun of fantasy stuff which just doesn't hold up well these days

He's not really a bad writer, but he's also not an immensely amazing one unless you've been reading nothing but Dungeons and Dragons books forever. Some of his stuff is clever, some of his jokes are too self indulgent and ultimately fall very flat; as a comedic writer, he's fine.

Also, while BotL is being a dumbass weenie boy, your "if you didn't read it you're not giving it a chance, if you did read it lmao you read something you didn't like retard, owned" thing basically means that nobody can criticize anything ever so

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

Android Blues posted:

Blood Meridian is one of my all time favourite books, it's really really good. I think there's a point where he describes flamingos as "talling" and that just won me over for life.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Talling

:wtc:

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Blade Runner posted:

Suttree is good if you want something a little less harrowingly horrifying than most of McCarthy's stuff. It's not a feel good book by the standards of any other writer, but it has some amount of hope in it at all, which makes it near saccharine for him.

Definitely agree on it being less horrifying, but easily wayyyyyyy more depressing than his other work (excepting The Road, I suppose). My man Suttree just can't catch a fuckin break, I could feel that poo poo in my bones.

I had to go like, go to the movie theater and do something fun to get out of the funk that book put me in.

underthecube posted:

ahh ok. ive only ever heard about blood meridian being "ultraviolence in the old west" so i figured lonesome dove was close enough. ive actually never read *any* mccarthy because if i want something depressing i want it to be more subdued and melancholy than outright physically violent and harsh.

Well, read Suttree then :)

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Kaedric posted:

Definitely agree on it being less horrifying, but easily wayyyyyyy more depressing than his other work (excepting The Road, I suppose). My man Suttree just can't catch a fuckin break, I could feel that poo poo in my bones.

I had to go like, go to the movie theater and do something fun to get out of the funk that book put me in.

Well, read Suttree then :)

I dunno. It's more realistic than a lot of his work, so it hits a closer sort of place, but the ending is actually pretty hopeful for him. Like, Suttree might end up doing better, and he feels alright. Blood Meridian's ending is just loving horrific, in comparison.

e: I will agree that the book has a more desperate melancholy air to it that makes it really sad, though. I guess it just ends better than most, so.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Making fiction that mocks "fantasy tropes" is a waste of time that could have spent on writing on something that matters. The section about the astrologer in Rasselas, Prince of Abyssinia is a more ruthless treatment of fantasy than anything Pratchett ever managed, and it's not even trying to mock fantasy tropes.

The greatest way to ~*subvert tropes*~ is to not include them at all.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Making fiction that mocks "fantasy tropes" is a waste of time that could have spent on writing on something that matters.

nothing matters you loving imbecile

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

You could say most of the things BOTL posts in slightly different words and not come across nearly as pretentious and self-involved as they do. It's all about not being a smug rear end in a top hat looking down on other people's reading habits.

Are you gonna suggest a book once in this thread or just get angry at people who are smarter than you?

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
The Amazon man brought me The Dispossesed today so I'm gonna start reading it later to see what all the fuss is about

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

WatermelonGun posted:

Are you gonna suggest a book once in this thread or just get angry at people who are smarter than you?

I've already suggested two books for you to read, I am not sure what the problem is.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
no, you tried to be funny twice and hosed it up. at least the pathetic nerds are talking about books they’ve read, you’re just... here

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
Sorry for trying to be funny on a comedy forum, I guess. I have a lot to learn from you about coming into a thread about Ursula K. LeGuin and ranting about how genre is poo poo and how everyone reading it are pathetic nerds, then pretending its actually everyone else who is extremely mad after getting some mild pushback.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
I didn’t read that paragraph but you still haven’t posted a book jackass.

I’m gonna finish Frost by Thomas Bernhard after work. It’s not my favorite of his but it is the only one my library had. Still, it has people who roll around in body parts and dead animals for a living humping while everything rots around them. And Bernhard describes a lot of things as looking like brains which got weird after a bit.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Groke posted:

Dragonlance books are fine if you're, like, 14. I remember them fondly. Don't think I'd bother revisiting them now though.

I tried rereading them a year ago. They are unbearable.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
Having a normal one here:

WatermelonGun posted:

sorry you’re illiterate :(

this thread is loving grim. genre fiction is brain poison.

WatermelonGun posted:

Knausgaard writes in excruciating detail about being a failure as a father and a son as well as cumming his pants repeatedly so a lot of you can probably relate.

WatermelonGun posted:

LeGuin is much better than terry pratchett, as is the copy on the new Choclatey Berry Crunch cereal.

congrats on being a worse poster than the nerds who can only read wizard books.

WatermelonGun posted:

BOTL is fine and you all should be embarassed about how you live your “lives.” Read a real book for adults.

WatermelonGun posted:

if you want to discuss garbage sci fi have you considered: the book barn

WatermelonGun posted:

Yeah sure kicking and screaming when anyone tells you to read a book without elves makes you all real nice and pleasant.

WatermelonGun posted:

you seem real pissed dude!

the incendiaries by r.o. kwon came out last year. it has a cult leader and asian female characters who don’t want to gently caress you, the reader. maybe give it a shot instead of acting like every nerd ever.

WatermelonGun posted:

it’s loving pathetic.

WatermelonGun posted:

sorry i think your attitude on literature is juvenile and embarrassing.

I am not mad! You're mad!

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
he’s certainly very invested in this thread about a thing he hates

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I don't think they hate literature

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

WatermelonGun posted:

I didn’t read that paragraph but you still haven’t posted a book jackass.

I’m gonna finish Frost by Thomas Bernhard after work. It’s not my favorite of his but it is the only one my library had. Still, it has people who roll around in body parts and dead animals for a living humping while everything rots around them. And Bernhard describes a lot of things as looking like brains which got weird after a bit.

What is your favorite book

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
he's reeeally mad

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

free hubcaps posted:

he’s certainly very invested in this thread about a thing he hates

I very clearly love books.

Quoting all my posts which I stand by instead of posting literature is creepy and weird, and wastes time that could be spent telling me which space book would change my life.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
i don't care about changing your life, weirdly aggressive anti-genre guy. If you want recommendations for books you may like, go to the Book Barn's recommendation thread or idk, goodreads or something.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Blade Runner posted:

What is your favorite book

probably Dead Souls.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

WatermelonGun posted:

I very clearly love books.

Quoting all my posts which I stand by instead of posting literature is creepy and weird, and wastes time that could be spent telling me which space book would change my life.

recommending books without being an rear end in a top hat is an easy thing to do though. most of your recommendations are couched in invective, which is off putting for obvious reasons.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

i don't care about changing your life, weirdly aggressive anti-genre guy. If you want recommendations for books you may like, go to the Book Barn's recommendation thread or idk, goodreads or something.

Actually the point of the thread is the op wants authors better than LeGuin, of which I have supplied several. You’re just here to try and dunk on people who read and end up looking like a total dipshit.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

notice me sempaiiii

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

free hubcaps posted:

recommending books without being an rear end in a top hat is an easy thing to do though. most of your recommendations are couched in invective, which is off putting for obvious reasons.

Wrong. Look at this dumbass poo poo which made me start posting itt in the first place:

tetsuo posted:

people say they read them so that they sound smart but no one actually makes it through their impenetrable garbage hth

This type of disingenuous argument immediately pops up from every genre goblin on the planet as soon as actual literature is brought up. The person forums jackass tetsuo was responding to was pleasant, and was still immediately accused of posturing.

tldr sci fi and fantasy nerds are god awful people and deserve scorn and derision, and nothing itt has changed my tune

WatermelonGun fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Feb 6, 2019

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

WatermelonGun posted:

Actually the point of the thread is the op wants authors better than LeGuin, of which I have supplied several. You’re just here to try and dunk on people who read and end up looking like a total dipshit.

I am not "dunking on people who read" I am pointing out that you and BOTL come across as incredible assholes due to the condescending and mocking way you phrase your own recommendations and the generally hostile tone of your interactions with people here.

But I do feel bad that this thread seems to be going into the endless petty slap fight direction, and some of that is partly because of me, so to get us back on track I have a recommendation for the OP - have you read anything by the Strugatsky brothers? I didn't see them in your list. Hard to Be a God and Roadside Picnic are the only books of theirs I've read, but both of those have been fantastic. Solid sci-fi with strong themes and original ideas. Seems like they'll be right up your alley, OP.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

what's wrong with BOTL, it's ok to have rudely stated opinions on SA so long as you're occasionally funny

a lot less so to be just inordinately proud of having passed the same freshman lit survey course everyone on the forums did.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

I generally think it sort of goes both ways, in a sense. I read a lot of fantasy stuff and lighter classics when I was a teenager, and people really can come off as extremely pretentious if they treat you like a moron for reading Jules Verne instead of Hawthorne, or something. People can also come off as being idiotic children if they're gonna insist that anything more complex than Harry Potter is just putting on airs to seem smart.

Ultimately, though, if you're being this massively defensive over the books you read in either direction, it does end up feeling like you're posturing, a bit. If you know you just read the big boy books because you enjoy reading them, the person who reads nothing but Dragonlance calling you intellectually disingenuous shouldn't matter all that much.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

I am not "dunking on people who read" I am pointing out that you and BOTL come across as incredible assholes due to the condescending and mocking way you phrase your own recommendations and the generally hostile tone of your interactions with people here.

But I do feel bad that this thread seems to be going into the endless petty slap fight direction, and some of that is partly because of me, so to get us back on track I have a recommendation for the OP - have you read anything by the Strugatsky brothers? I didn't see them in your list. Hard to Be a God and Roadside Picnic are the only books of theirs I've read, but both of those have been fantastic. Solid sci-fi with strong themes and original ideas. Seems like they'll be right up your alley, OP.

Hard to be a God is good.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Reading Dragonlance? What, Drizz Do'Urden is too hoity-toity for you?

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

what's wrong with BOTL, it's ok to have rudely stated opinions on SA so long as you're occasionally funny

a lot less so to be just inordinately proud of having passed the same freshman lit survey course everyone on the forums did.

You keep going back to your really funny college joke despite no one doing that itt.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

The Doomed City was another book of theirs that I liked a lot. It's a very weird but somewhat sensible world that I really enjoyed reading about.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

It's not the opinions or even really the rudeness, it's the persistent urge to barge in on discussions of stuff they supposedly hate and starting belittling everyone who likes it. Like, I am not a fan of MMOs, I think they're effectively large skinner boxes designed to take your money and time through superficial progression systems and a mangled sense of community. But I can somehow restrain myself from barging into the WOW thread and calling everyone there pathetic addicts with no social life. Because I understand that doing that would be an incredibly rear end in a top hat move.

AFancyQuestionMark fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Feb 6, 2019

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
I read ROBOTECH paperbacks exclusively, does anyone have any good recs for ROBOTECH

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Blade Runner posted:

I generally think it sort of goes both ways, in a sense. I read a lot of fantasy stuff and lighter classics when I was a teenager, and people really can come off as extremely pretentious if they treat you like a moron for reading Jules Verne instead of Hawthorne, or something. People can also come off as being idiotic children if they're gonna insist that anything more complex than Harry Potter is just putting on airs to seem smart.

Ultimately, though, if you're being this massively defensive over the books you read in either direction, it does end up feeling like you're posturing, a bit. If you know you just read the big boy books because you enjoy reading them, the person who reads nothing but Dragonlance calling you intellectually disingenuous shouldn't matter all that much.

I would be 100% off those dudes' jocks about pretension if they could ever name a single solitary author they liked who wasn't among the maybe 50 most famous writers who ever lived, I don't feel that that's a particularly exacting standard. Like, who actually reads regularly and doesn't have a personal favorite that most people haven't already heard of that they found on Twitter or something.

If you genuinely just loving love midcentury beatnik-adjacent New Yorkers wonking on endlessly about how cheating on their wives didn't cure their depression or sweaty basement fascists detailing the bore size of the plasma ejaculators on the HMS Space Bismarck more power to you, but if you struggle to name a title outside the dozen-odd safest and most conventional picks in literature it sure looks like you actually don't like reading and shouldn't be endlessly announcing your opinions on how to read as though you have any personal experience. We had a guy literally come in here going "wow, you thought Le Guin was good? Uh, ever hear of a guy called SHAKESPEARE"

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Feb 6, 2019

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
ah yes the 50 most famous authors ever. knausgaard topping the best seller and ro kwon being taught in 101 with her first novel

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
who could forget their sophomore english teacher having them read confessions of a mask

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

eh fair enough I missed the Kwon mention in between all the screeching. Knausgaard is absolutely the kind of overplayed I'd expect someone to just pull off a Wikipedia list of Good Authors or something. Neither of them have any noteworthy relation to Le Guin's writing such that they'd be particularly comparable or a good rec for people who liked her, but you did name a name that wasn't a cliche.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Feb 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

I still don’t understand why some people hate genre fiction. It’s nice to couch conflict in things that don’t exist like elves and spaceships, as a reprieve from atrocities my own species has invariably committed at some point in its existence.