Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

in Canada you basically have to get on a retention plan, or you know someone in business sales at the telco who can put you on a fake corporate plan, or grab one of the specials that come out before Christmas. It's fairly reasonable if you can wrangle that. The "in-market" plans they list online are for bozos who don't know what's up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
or you lie about what province you live in to get a rate from one of the places they have to compete, then port your number back

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

THC posted:

in Canada you basically have to get on a retention plan, or you know someone in business sales at the telco who can put you on a fake corporate plan, or grab one of the specials that come out before Christmas. It's fairly reasonable if you can wrangle that. The "in-market" plans they list online are for bozos who don't know what's up.

dude I think it may be racist to refer to the entire Canadian population that way

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

Lambert posted:

In the US and Canada, they still have multi-year cell contracts. You don't just get a SIM at a local grocery store for 2€ and then select the month-by-month plan you prefer.

In the US contracts are mostly gone because those phone subsidies for smartphones got big and were considered financial liabilities and started dragging stock prices down. Given how low interest rates were versus the cost of collecting on that $400 when someone stops paying the bill/they got scammed into giving their upgrade away to someone on Craigslist for $50, it was cheaper to outsource the financing to banks and eat the cost of interest. When someone stops paying for their phone, it's now the bank's problem, not the carrier's.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

iirc also the ftc ended the per-carrier locks which effectively killed the subsidized handsets

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
nah, carriers only had that as another angle to be consumer-hostile. Verizon was never allowed to lock their LTE devices because a clause they agreed to when they did a spectrum buy was that they had to let any device use it. They got some ruckus raised when they started locking devices out of the box but would unlock on demand, since they had effectively become the primary target of cellphone store robberies.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

indigi posted:

post brexit or gtfo

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

Kobayashi posted:

Angela "Town Squares" Ahrendts is leaving Apple

john fireball is implying she got fired

quote:

Doesn’t sound like someone who was getting ready to leave Apple. And it’s rather conspicuous that Ahrendts doesn’t have anything else lined up yet. Ahrendts lasted a lot longer than John Browett, but in Apple’s executive culture, five years is not a long run.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Casual Encountess posted:

are there any qi charging pads that look like a grown up would use them? i’ve been looking at stands because that seems waaaay more useful than a pad on my nightstand but everything is ugly and/or doesn’t list the actual charging power.

also in general i am just super unimpressed by the general accessory industrial design. everything looks waaaaaaaay too techlord and i dont need my electronics to be liquid metal extensions of my arms.

also also i’m assuming the qi chargers are cross compatible with MY PARTNER the android haver yeah?

wait for airpower to come out and then buy the partner an iphone or sever imo

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

john fireball is implying she got fired

wouldn’t the very public lack of training for repair people at Apple’s stores fall under her purview? it’s not John “Tell stores to hold off on minor repairs to pad out the profit margins” Browett level of penny pinching dumbassery, but meanwhile she’s trying to do that stupid Apple Store town hall thing...

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Feb 6, 2019

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

poty posted:

might as well wait for godot

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

poty posted:

*cremnob voice*

THE REAL AIRPOWER IS THE F-35 AM I RIGHT? BUY LOCKHEED MARTIN STOCK, KIDS!

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Buy the Gripen instead, it's much cheaper (so you can get it very early) and perfect for pretty much any mission. Air-to-ground as well as air-to-air.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

infernal machines posted:

its coming out do you even ming chi kuo bro

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

infernal machines posted:

the game engine?

poty
Jun 21, 2008

Lambert posted:

Buy the Gripen instead, it's much cheaper (so you can get it very early) and perfect for pretty much any mission. Air-to-ground as well as air-to-air.

we had a referendum in switzerland about buying some and told them to gently caress off back to sweden because theyre too expensive for the value they bring (being parked in the hangar all day). would be fun to have a vote about buying some f35s

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

are there any qi charging pads that look like a grown up would use them? i’ve been looking at stands because that seems waaaay more useful than a pad on my nightstand but everything is ugly and/or doesn’t list the actual charging power.

also in general i am just super unimpressed by the general accessory industrial design. everything looks waaaaaaaay too techlord and i dont need my electronics to be liquid metal extensions of my arms.

also also i’m assuming the qi chargers are cross compatible with MY PARTNER the android haver yeah?

Check ikea.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

poty posted:

New Mac Pro is gonna have a huge internal battery that promises “all day use” and can only be recharged inductively

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Apple starts to sell APC's at a 5000% percent markup.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

im glad they got rid of the retail boss as her announcements in keynotes were always pointless and/or dumb. also coming from burberry i blame her partially for the prices going up

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

poty posted:

im glad they got rid of the retail boss as her announcements in keynotes were always pointless and/or dumb. also coming from burberry i blame her partially for the prices going up

yeah she always had this socially inept segment about Apple coliseums or whatever in the gently caress. no, I’m not calling your shop thoughtspace because of your powerpoint, sod off Angela

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

the new community, where people from all walks of life can come together in the communal space of the apple store and bond over their shared love of the apple brand

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

cinci zoo sniper posted:

yeah she always had this socially inept segment about Apple coliseums or whatever in the gently caress. no, I’m not calling your shop thoughtspace because of your powerpoint, sod off Angela

she probably used keynote

GenJoe
Sep 15, 2010

Rehabilitated?

That's just a bullshit word.
all of the apple keynotes use keynote

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

maybe powerpoint use is what gets you fired?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

qirex posted:

she probably used keynote

yeah i was driving my point with that but im not a pretentious englishman to say “slide deck”

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

cinci zoo sniper posted:

yeah i was driving my point with that but im not a pretentious englishman to say “slide deck”

call it a viewgraph and see if anyone under 70 knows what you mean

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

like i understand computer touchers don’t have taste and they need an elite holster for their daily carry but like, why does everything have to be 3 shades of black and ugly as poo poo

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

call it a viewgraph and see if anyone under 70 knows what you mean

If you call it an "overhead projector", people under 70 will know what you mean.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

cinci zoo sniper posted:

foils

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
transparencies

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

like i understand computer touchers don’t have taste and they need an elite holster for their daily carry but like, why does everything have to be 3 shades of black and ugly as poo poo

turn on your monitor

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

so what did business people do before powerpoints/keynotes anyways? slide carousels?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Laser print overhead projector transparencies, possibly?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

powerpoint was created for printed slide decks because the thousands of middle managers at 1990s microsoft needed them to pretend to work all day while they were busy brownnosing and sabotaging their coworkers

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

so what did business people do before powerpoints/keynotes anyways? slide carousels?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

i thought it was so ken jeong could do sad egg jokes on Community but I'll go with your explanation for now

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
Microsoft Pretendtowork

poty
Jun 21, 2008

FMguru posted:

transparencies

text me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

quote:

On the latest episode of The Talk Show, Daring Fireball’s John Gruber discusses Apple TV and HomePod pricing and whether Apple is charging too much for some of its products.

According to Gruber, Apple is actually selling the 2017 Apple TV 4K at cost, suggesting the device costs Apple $180 to make. As for the HomePod, Gruber said he believes Apple sells it at a loss.

Gruber said that he also suspects the AirPods are priced close to cost as well, though he’s not sure and can’t prove it.

https://twitter.com/elkmovie/status/1092817973885259777