Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
It also has serious disadvantages under lower loads and lower RPM. A lot of modern EcoBoost engines use both port and DI. Possibly relevant:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-02-02/best-selling-trucks-use-tech-mit-says-ford-stole-from-professors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It also has serious disadvantages under lower loads and lower RPM. A lot of modern EcoBoost engines use both port and DI. Possibly relevant:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-02-02/best-selling-trucks-use-tech-mit-says-ford-stole-from-professors

Yeah, I'm aware that most manufacturers are going dual-injection, but given that Ford has the tech for port and direct injection in a single motor I'd expect them to use it.
Super Duties should be under heavy load for long periods more often than most vehicles, right?

Edit: I guess that this class of vehicle has never been EPA fuel economy tested, so they don't need to chase efficiency.

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Feb 5, 2019

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Twerk from Home posted:

Yeah, I'm aware that most manufacturers are going dual-injection, but given that Ford has the tech for port and direct injection in a single motor I'd expect them to use it.
Super Duties should be under heavy load for long periods more often than most vehicles, right?

I wouldn't call groceries a heavy load

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Powershift posted:

Ford going back to pushrod/cast iron/port injection for it's HD engine seems like a bit of an indictment of their fragile DOHC truck motors.

It's a safe move. This engine is for commercial applications and it needs to be stout above all else.

I think it was a year or two ago that we had a prototype 7.3 here on a stripped chassis. If I remember correctly it's replacing the 6.8L V10.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
i have only heard very bad anecdotes about the 6.8L V10

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

CornHolio posted:

I think it was a year or two ago that we had a prototype 7.3 here on a stripped chassis. If I remember correctly it's replacing the 6.8L V10.

Yep. And it will do so in a smaller package while probably making more power and being more reliable. I've always liked GM's OHV engines so it's pretty neat to see Ford offer their spin on it.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Powershift posted:

Ford going back to pushrod/cast iron/port injection for it's HD engine seems like a bit of an indictment of their fragile DOHC truck motors.

Is the 5.0L fragile? Because the 6.2L V8 (not the 6.8 V10, that got replaced with the 6.2) is SOHC and the only issues I've ever heard of from the 6.8L are the same the 5.4 had, those lovely plugs ford used in the Triton days, and it was an absolute pig on gas. Or or you saying the ecoboosts are fragile trash, because that I have definitely heard.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

Seat Safety Switch posted:

...be obnoxiously loud as they idle it in their driveway for six hours to "warm it up."

So you've met my neighbors then? I clocked it at 45 minutes of warm up time one morning. Just ridiculous for the "cold" of NC.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

BloodBag posted:

Is the 5.0L fragile? Because the 6.2L V8 (not the 6.8 V10, that got replaced with the 6.2) is SOHC and the only issues I've ever heard of from the 6.8L are the same the 5.4 had, those lovely plugs ford used in the Triton days, and it was an absolute pig on gas. Or or you saying the ecoboosts are fragile trash, because that I have definitely heard.

I've heard the Coyote 5.0 consumes significant oil under load, which could certainly contribute to sudden catastrophic failure.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Twerk from Home posted:

I've heard the Coyote 5.0 consumes significant oil under load, which could certainly contribute to sudden catastrophic failure.

I'll have to check that. I've got a lot of towing in my near future. If that's true, you'd have to really be neglecting it for it to burn up 8 quarts of oil without you noticing.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

BloodBag posted:

They still make both the 5.4 V8 and the 6.8 V10.

edit: ha, coincidentally the truck I'm working on is a 2019 model year and has the 6.8 V10.

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Feb 5, 2019

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Powershift posted:

e2: Yup, Pushrod, Cast iron block.

e: it's 2019 and a company is releasing an all new 7.3 liter cast iron pushrod V8.

Maybe it's the size of the block, but those headers look like drinking straws.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

kimbo305 posted:

Maybe it's the size of the block, but those headers look like drinking straws.

Needs some long tubes and a race cam. :haw:

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat

Mental Hospitality posted:

Needs some long tubes and a race cam. :haw:

7.3 L and 7.3 MPG

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

BloodBag posted:

The 5.0s are obviously nowhere near as bad as the 5.4s, but they still have weird piston issues that can lead to piston slap and oil burning. the 5.2 voodoo burns oil like crazy, and will probably have a recall for it.

Kastivich posted:

So you've met my neighbors then? I clocked it at 45 minutes of warm up time one morning. Just ridiculous for the "cold" of NC.

I had a neighbor for a while who had his straight piped cummins with a severely hosed turbo on a temperature switch so it would start every 2-3 hours day or night and whirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr away.

CornHolio posted:

It's a safe move. This engine is for commercial applications and it needs to be stout above all else.

Yeah, replacing the V10, but also rumored to be coming as an engine option in the high end f-150s/navigators. It's an option on all trim levels over the 6.2/6a, and i wouldn't be surprised if it the 6.2 is basically just a "paper" config like the base colorado to give people something to option up from. Of the 22,988 new colorados on cars.com, 142 are "base" trims. Of the 6,284 used 2015+, 10 are base trims.

Ford says it's 50 pounds lighter than the 6.2, and the 6.2 was 120lbs heavier than the 5.4, so it's not impossible for it to end up in the raptor.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Powershift posted:

The 5.0s are obviously nowhere near as bad as the 5.4s, but they still have weird piston issues that can lead to piston slap and oil burning. the 5.2 voodoo burns oil like crazy, and will probably have a recall for it.

Sorry, Ford giving a recall on an engine issue is a basically a lol.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys
So other than finally mercy killing both the Modular 6.8L V10 and Boss 6.2L V8, anything else the 7.3L is supposed to kill off? Once both the Voodoo 5.2L and 6.8L V10 wrap up production (next year?) are there any Modular variants left other than the Gen 3 5.0L? The Aluminator sticking around?

Supposedly the 7X shares a bore spacing and heavy block similarities to the Boss, so basically just an updated Boss?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Colostomy Bag posted:

Sorry, Ford giving a recall on an engine issue is a basically a lol.

Ford just put out a TSB/recall on slap-block-heater Ecoboost F-150s because they put the wrong coolant in it from the factory and the heater core freezes solid in -20°C.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

truck numberwang alive and well.

New Silverado HD stats:

All new 6.6 gas v8, 401hp, 464 ft/lbs, 6 speed auto only direct injection
6.6 duramax, 445hp, 910ft/lbs 10 speed auto
35,500lb max towing(ram is a pathetic 35,100lbs)

e: They're calling the 10 speed an Allison even though it's the same transmission as ford.

https://media.chevrolet.com/media/us/en/chevrolet/home.detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2019/feb/0205-silverado-hd-2020.html

Powershift fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Feb 5, 2019

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Powershift posted:

New Silverado HD stats:

e: They're calling the 10 speed an Allison even though it's the same transmission as ford.

https://media.chevrolet.com/media/us/en/chevrolet/home.detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2019/feb/0205-silverado-hd-2020.html

I'm shocked they didn't find some way to make a higher torque number than Dodge. You know that Ford is going to break 1000 lb-ft.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Twerk from Home posted:

I'm shocked they didn't find some way to make a higher torque number than Dodge. You know that Ford is going to break 1000 lb-ft.

That's numberwang!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Powershift posted:

Just in case you need to tow 10 Focii.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Powershift posted:

New Silverado HD stats:

And about everyone bitches towing their fifth wheel because it sits so high.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Powershift posted:

New Silverado HD stats:

Its a 10 speed GM designed in house, not the 10 speed ford and GM designed together. Its probably ok but I wouldn’t want to beta test it.

Also lol that ford is going back to pushrods. It only took them 20 years. That 7.3 is going to be a pig and I would be surprised if they give it more HP than their flagship powerstroke.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Holy poo poo, it was made just that much worse by that angled bit on the radio. Like, I didn't think it could get appreciably worse, and then at the bottom, BOOM-- angled bit giving the impression someone broke off a corner of the radio.

I forgot about this one.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Balliver Shagnasty posted:

I forgot about this one.

Oh, hey

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7v80sSlPFw

(the interior was just as italian as the exterior)

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

rdb posted:

Its a 10 speed GM designed in house, not the 10 speed ford and GM designed together. Its probably ok but I wouldn’t want to beta test it.

Also lol that ford is going back to pushrods. It only took them 20 years. That 7.3 is going to be a pig and I would be surprised if they give it more HP than their flagship powerstroke.

The 8 speed in my Silverado is a clunky thing at low speed and has been since new. The 5 speed transmission in my 10 year old E55 with 'lifetime transmission fluid' felt better. Not sure I'd trust it out of warranty.

As for pushrods....as any old white dude will tell you his Corvette gets 30 mpg highway!!

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

BloodBag posted:

Good. Also they can go ahead and ditch the current powerstroke and go back to the 7.3 diesel that still is worth it's weight in gold on the used F250 market.

E: Either you pay $50k+ for a new 6.7L powerstroke with all the modern egr stuff that just breaks or you can pay $10k+ for a 200k+mile f250 that will outlast the new stuff.

I had a 1999 7.3 e350 cube van I worked out of from 99-2002. It had a little over 100k when I quit. I have also owned a 2006 duramax silverado which my wife totaled at 163k and I currently have a 2018 6.7 cummins with about 10k. Not claiming to be the authority but I have some first hand experience.

The 7.3 probably is the best diesel ford put in a truck until the 6.7. But its not modern, its certainly not “bulletproof”, its really lacking in power compared to the new stuff, and its not getting better with age. People always rag on dodge for their lovely automatics but the one behind the 7.3 was just as bad if not worse. Mine took a poo poo @ 70k. You can “just get a manual” but good luck finding one. Mine had some injector harness issues as well and it really started to run lovely if I went over 5k on an oil change thanks to unit injectors relying on high pressure oil to fire them. I think a large portion of the 7.3s reputation stems from the fact its successor the 6.0 was just so bad.

As far as a 200k 7.3 superduty out living a modern 6.7 thats pretty laughable. That 10k f250 will need another 3-5k in suspension work, not easy poo poo either because its all rusted to crap by now. The front u joints, wheel bearings, garbage vacuum locking hubs, shocks, bushings and other components will be beat to poo poo because the 10 previous owners thought they were going to save some money by getting the “bulletproof” 7.3 and therefore maintenance is not required. The truck has probably seen enough road salt to have holes in the body or the frame by now. Never mind the dents, scratches, dings, faded clear coat and jacked up bumpers. And the inside, well, think of your average diesel truck buyer, an overweight american who probably smokes or dips, or someone who works out of the truck and just doesn’t care, maybe a farmer... the seats will be showing foam and its going to be filthy dirty and nasty. Yeah, you can fix all this, or you can find a really nice unicorn but that is going to set you back $20k. Your still dealing with a 20 year old truck that has 250hp and god knows whats been done to it. Its not worth it.

You can go to a volume ford dealer and pick up a new f250 xl with the 6.7, crew cab, 4x4, aluminum body, coil sprung front suspension that rides way better than the 7.3 leaf springs with a 100k warranty for $45k. It will still have cruise, bluetooth, air conditioning, a radio, backup camera, power windows and it will start first try on a cold morning. Maybe you own a business or a farm and can write it off. If the emissions stuff worries you can buy a delete kit. But chances are it will live to at least the same 200k that the 7.3 has, emissions intact. Probably longer because it won’t be rusted through after 20 years of farm duty and still worth maintaining. Neither truck is going to be cheap to own or easy to work on, but thats any diesel ford pickup.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Balliver Shagnasty posted:

I forgot about this one.

Oh yes that;'s the stuff right there, unf

Goober Peas posted:

Oh, hey

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7v80sSlPFw

(the interior was just as italian as the exterior)

This was the future of cars that was promised to us but instead we got poo poo like the 1996 Taurus and 2000 Impala. We're just now getting back to cool interiors.

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Feb 6, 2019

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

rdb posted:

You can go to a volume ford dealer and pick up a new f250 xl with the 6.7, crew cab, 4x4, aluminum body, coil sprung front suspension that rides way better than the 7.3 leaf springs with a 100k warranty for $45k. It will still have cruise, bluetooth, air conditioning, a radio, backup camera, power windows and it will start first try on a cold morning. Maybe you own a business or a farm and can write it off. If the emissions stuff worries you can buy a delete kit. But chances are it will live to at least the same 200k that the 7.3 has, emissions intact. Probably longer because it won’t be rusted through after 20 years of farm duty and still worth maintaining. Neither truck is going to be cheap to own or easy to work on, but thats any diesel ford pickup.

I was actually going to say you were full of something on that $45K price but my god you were right.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

https://i.imgur.com/p1uPCam.mp4

neat!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
That split tailgate is really cool. Might be awkward to get it open if you're parallel parked, which is always the annoying aspect of side-opening gates like that, but you can probably pull the latch on the big side, and then wobble the small side open..

Wonder if that makes it harder to steal.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
does it require a rope ladder to get into like certain other brands

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Proud Christian Mom posted:

does it require a rope ladder to get into like certain other brands

Don't you mean a "man step" which is for pussies only?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f235GEKWwBE
(Sorry for the poo poo quality, it's all I could find).

The best part is Chevy's ripping it off now.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

As Nero Danced posted:

Owns for getting 3 wire bales of hay out of the back.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

As Nero Danced posted:

i mean fat retirees gotta get up there somehow

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Am I too late for button chat because the other day I looked into a Porsche Macan and welp

That's the best picture I could find but the GTS model I was looking at seemed to have all of those blanks filled with switches and whatnots as well.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Flyinglemur posted:

Am I too late for button chat because the other day I looked into a Porsche Macan and welp

That's the best picture I could find but the GTS model I was looking at seemed to have all of those blanks filled with switches and whatnots as well.

Easily the worst part of base model german cars, you're reminded that you're a Lumpenprole because of all the button blanks.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Flyinglemur posted:

That's not always the case. On my Cayman S, even a fully optioned example had blanks. I think it's to remind you that you're still not driving a 911. :v:

Still, that extends all the way up the 911 line, up to the 911 GT2 RS, where the empty blanks remind you that no matter what you achieve financially, material goods will fail to fill the void in your life.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Feb 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Flyinglemur posted:

That honestly doesn't seem half bad...a lot of those buttons are for seats and climate control.