Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/cd_hooks/status/1060675993579503616

Dan Patrick is from Maryland. He appointed Alan West of Florida to the Sunset Commission within a year of West moving here. Paxton is an army brat who didn't come to Texas until he attended Baylor. Ted Cruz is from Canada.

This is anecdotal and from the mind of a child, but when I was growing up, it seemed to me that there was a lot of pride with the Mexican/Texan cultural amalgamation and white people were proud of the lovely spanish they could speak, and loved aspects of Tejano culture that made the state feel unique and exotic in a way that other states couldn't claim. I don't remember it being really bad until after the turn of the century (the 21st century so shut up Badger). GWB's immigration stance while Governor would get him excommunicated from the party today. I dunno what the sea change was but it sure has accelerated since Perry decided he wanted to be president and started forcing Red Meat bullshit

zoux fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Feb 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

gotta get matching "i wasnt born in texas but i got here as fast as i could!" and "dont california my texas" bumper stickers

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
Out of state folks in Texas project so so so hard. Then they clog up 35 with their drat Teslas! *shakes fist at cloud*

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

My neighbors are 80% conservative Republicans that moved here from west coast states for the inexpensive housing, low taxes, and good school district we live in.

They’re surprised that native Texans are very much live and let live and not really like what they expected I guess. I was born in Texas but didn’t really grow up here so I don’t consider myself a native really.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I was born in Conroe.

https://twitter.com/GarrettHaake/status/1092537915832438784

I honestly don't think Trump is going to follow through here because he is a lying coward that never follows through on anything, but he's also some kind of chaos elemental so who knows.

https://twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/1092538554524278791

Allen West go back to Florida and take George P. with you

E: also Dana Loesch lives in Southlake, she's from Missourah

zoux fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Feb 4, 2019

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

zoux posted:

I was born in Conroe.

condolences

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/1092538554524278791

Allen West go back to Florida and take George P. with you

Irving?! ....Do they mean las colinas?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

My folks lived in Trinity at the time, Conroe was just the closest good hospital. I've lived for significant amounts of time growing up in Amarillo, New Braunfels and BCS

And 4 years outside Wichita KS >_>

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

zoux posted:

Dan Patrick is from Maryland. He appointed Alan West of Florida to the Sunset Commission within a year of West moving here. Paxton is an army brat who didn't come to Texas until he attended Baylor. Ted Cruz is from Canada.

This is anecdotal and from the mind of a child, but when I was growing up, it seemed to me that there was a lot of pride with the Mexican/Texan cultural amalgamation and white people were proud of the lovely spanish they could speak, and loved aspects of Tejano culture that made the state feel unique and exotic in a way that other states couldn't claim. I don't remember it being really bad until after the turn of the century (the 21st century so shut up Badger). GWB's immigration stance while Governor would get him excommunicated from the party today. I dunno what the sea change was but it sure has accelerated since Perry decided he wanted to be president and started forcing Red Meat bullshit

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Tbh people here are generally more chill about politics so far than they were in my home state.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Lightning Knight posted:

Tbh people here are generally more chill about politics so far than they were in my home state.

Skipdogg was pretty on the money, native Texans generally tend to be pretty live and let live. The state was always never a monoculture, and as time has gone on, it has only got more diverse. That fosters the let it be attitude, but then we get a bunch of Alamosexuals moving in, and they carry on like they think we should and invariably pull everyone else along with.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Dameius posted:

Skipdogg was pretty on the money, native Texans generally tend to be pretty live and let live. The state was always never a monoculture, and as time has gone on, it has only got more diverse. That fosters the let it be attitude, but then we get a bunch of Alamosexuals moving in, and they carry on like they think we should and invariably pull everyone else along with.

My new job is like five blocks from the Alamo and the tourists suck rear end, send tweet.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

zoux posted:

E: also Dana Loesch lives in Southlake, she's from Missourah

https://twitter.com/cd_hooks/status/966519007238066176

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

TropicalCoke posted:

Out of state folks in Texas project so so so hard. Then they clog up 35 with their drat Teslas! *shakes fist at cloud*

I know your joking, but a gas station in my area is one of the only ones with those charging booths and because electric cars take so long to charge, there is always a line of car blocking the street waiting in line.

So...drat Teslas and Volts! Blocking my street! *shakes fist at the clouds*

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Feb 5, 2019

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Lightning Knight posted:

My new job is like five blocks from the Alamo and the tourists suck rear end, send tweet.

I can imagine. Been in SA 12+ years now. Rarely go downtown unless someone’s visiting and take them to the tourist spots.

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice

skipdogg posted:

I can imagine. Been in SA 12+ years now. Rarely go downtown unless someone’s visiting and take them to the tourist spots.

This, except Austin. I even prefer taking people to Round Rock to see the bats rather than congress st bridge.

skipdogg posted:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/DMNPolitics/status/1092754715392262144

Lol

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

That is a good article, lol.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Don't forget about the State of the State at 11.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
how many times do you think he mentions voter fraud

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

That's the question I guess. We've all seen how Abbott talks when he's manufacturing a crisis out of thin air. In fact, if you listen to his presser on the prop tax bill from last week, you can see both modes, the way he talks when he talks about the property tax emergency and the way he talks when he's talking about the voter list. Big difference. There are also 3 pending lawsuits against TX over this list so that'll figure into his decision.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

quote:

He once complained that the Architect of the Capitol’s office tried to stop him from cooking ribs on his office balcony.

:bahgawd:

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
Greg Abbott has declared so far these as emergency matters:

Teacher pay
School finance
School safety
Disaster relief
Property tax reform

Hes calling for two anti gang centers in Tyler and Waco. Declaring war on bikers

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

TropicalCoke posted:

Greg Abbott has declared so far these as emergency matters:

Teacher pay
School finance
School safety
Disaster relief
Property tax reform

Hes calling for two anti gang centers in Tyler and Waco. Declaring war on bikers

It's nice that he called out the white supremacist gang in Dallas rather than going all in on transnational gangs

https://twitter.com/lmcgaughy/status/1092845438204592130
:hmmyes:

Anyway those five are the only emergency issues, talked about some other issues but most importantly no voter fraud stuff

Only the property tax issue is categorically bad, so it's a win? Nothing on abortion or immigration or The Wall or whatever. Last session sanctuary cities were an emergency issue.

Dem response here: https://house.texas.gov/video-audio/

Lol they were fully prepared to go off on Voter Fraud so now they're like, uh we guess that we're disappointed he didn't say the SoS list was bad. He's "passively endorsing a voter roll purge"

zoux fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Feb 5, 2019

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

zoux posted:

Only the property tax issue is categorically bad, so it's a win?

Can someone give a basic explanation on the property tax thing? I bought my first house a year and a half ago so I'm pretty clueless. As I understand it, since Texas has no income tax, they shift that burden through property taxes, but now people are mad because the rates increase randomly, so just because you can afford your house payments one year doesn't mean you can the next. To respond to this, they aren't capping how much a property can be taxed, just limiting how much it can increase from year to year? And this is bad because it gives local governments less ability to increase taxes when they need to?

I feel like I don't understand something because that seems like a reasonable thing to do (make homeownership less of a gamble in regards to taxes, even though it doesn't address arbitrary property/land value increases as I understand it). Is the problem that they aren't allowing for a way for the local governments to make up for it elsewhere?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Friend posted:

Can someone give a basic explanation on the property tax thing? I bought my first house a year and a half ago so I'm pretty clueless. As I understand it, since Texas has no income tax, they shift that burden through property taxes, but now people are mad because the rates increase randomly, so just because you can afford your house payments one year doesn't mean you can the next. To respond to this, they aren't capping how much a property can be taxed, just limiting how much it can increase from year to year? And this is bad because it gives local governments less ability to increase taxes when they need to?

I feel like I don't understand something because that seems like a reasonable thing to do (make homeownership less of a gamble in regards to taxes, even though it doesn't address arbitrary property/land value increases as I understand it). Is the problem that they aren't allowing for a way for the local governments to make up for it elsewhere?

High property taxes in Texas are driven by (at least) three factors:

1) taxing increasing the tax rate; this is already capped so that entities can not raise the rate to generate more than 8% more revenue than they did last year without voter approval

2) increase in property value - so if your house was worth $100k last year and $200k this year you’re going to pay a lot more in property taxes even if the rate stays the same. This is a really big problem in the cities

3) school taxes. The large majority of any property tax bill in Texas is school property tax.
Over the past decade the state has been providing less and less state money for public schools, so the school districts have had to raise more and more money from property taxes. So the higher property tax bills from this factor are rally caused by the state abdicating its responsibility to fund education

A 2.5% cap combined with flat funding would make it much harder to fund even the same operations as last year, not taking into account any attempt to expand services.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
Don't forget that we've spent years handing out every tax break imaginable to businesses at both a state and local level, shifting even more of the tax burden onto individuals. What passes for Democrats in Texas are just as guilty of this one as the GOP.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Badger of Basra posted:

1) taxing increasing the tax rate; this is already capped so that entities can not raise the rate to generate more than 8% more revenue than they did last year without voter approval

2) increase in property value - so if your house was worth $100k last year and $200k this year you’re going to pay a lot more in property taxes even if the rate stays the same. This is a really big problem in the cities

3) school taxes. The large majority of any property tax bill in Texas is school property tax.
Over the past decade the state has been providing less and less state money for public schools, so the school districts have had to raise more and more money from property taxes. So the higher property tax bills from this factor are rally caused by the state abdicating its responsibility to fund education

A 2.5% cap combined with flat funding would make it much harder to fund even the same operations as last year, not taking into account any attempt to expand services.

How dare you pre-wonk me.

"Much harder" doesn't really get at it, if you listen to the cities. DMN had an article yesterday from city officials doing the YOU CAN'T PASS THIS CAP, YOU WILL REGRET THIS basically. They said a cap of 2.5% would've reduced the city budget by $55m compared to today.

Basically, it allows state lawmakers, who continue to cut the state share of funding to things like education, to say "we passed property tax relief" while blaming the cities for loving their constituents when they can't deliver on basic services. That makes county and city officials real mad. If you want to see local Republicans yell at state Republicans I think the Senate is having a hearing on the prop. tax bill this week.

zoux fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Feb 5, 2019

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
Property tax relief is gonna be the issue that busts this legislatures camaraderie bubble.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh that bubble exists only between the speaker, gov and lt. gov. It's already DOA in both chambers as far as I'm concerned. They couldn't get agreement between a 4 and 6 percent cap last session plus the special. Now there's more dems in the House and a one-vote margin* in the senate and that one vote already voted against a 4% cap and leadership already torched all the leverage they had over him. I literally have no idea how they get this done. There's a reason the Lege only deals with school finance when they have a court-ordered gun to their heads

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Badger of Basra posted:

So the state said "you can't have all this money for your schools anymore," so the cities raise the property tax rate to make up for it, but now the state is saying "you can't have our money but you also can't get more money from taxes"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Friend posted:

So the state said "you can't have all this money for your schools anymore," so the cities raise the property tax rate to make up for it, but now the state is saying "you can't have our money but you also can't get more money from taxes"

Your property tax bill is made up of local school property taxes, set by the ISD, city and county taxes, set by the Council and Commissioner's court, and then probably a few hospital or utility districts. City taxes are usually around 20% of the bill, school property taxes are between 50-60% of that depending on where you live. So all those entities have to raise taxes every year because we have a huge influx of population combined with less available state funds every biennium, to pay for critical services like police, fire, not to mention education. They can only raise them 8% before voters can petition to call a rollback election (7% of registered voters in the jurisdiction have to sign on) to ratify or reject this rate. So mostly entities don't raise taxes more than that, because people are dumbfucks who are unwilling to pay for services. This is already happening, but assuming they set the rollback rate lower, then locals will make up the difference in appraisal growth, overvaluing properties to increase revenue.

The proposal they've filed would set the rollback rate at 2.5 % and make the rollback election automatic and on the uniform election date in November, basically ensuring that higher rates won't be ratified.

The root of the problem is that property taxes are a horrible tax base because they are horribly regressive, essentially a wealth tax on peoples' largest asset, their homes, and other services are paid for on the back of another regressive tax, sales and use. What we need is a progressive income tax but the constitution requires a ratification for THAT and if people aren't going to vote for property tax rate hikes above 2.5% they sure as poo poo ain't voting to create an income tax.

The last time they did this, in 2006 I think, was because there was a 1.5% cap on local school property taxes, and almost every district was at that cap, so somebody sued. The state constitution prohibits a statewide property tax, and since everyone was effectively paying the same rate, the plaintiffs argued that it was a de facto statewide tax, and they won. So the lege's solution was to spend a bunch of money to buy down property taxes by a third, essentially sending money to districts to hold them harmless for the cut, and then replace that revenue with the franchise/margins tax. Well, the franchise tax brought in way less than expected, and every district was back up to the cap within a couple of years (i'm not exactly sure why this isn't unconstitutional, I think there's a local enrichment tier of a few cents that you can go above the cap if you get the voters approval, which I guess is enough discretion?). I think the average savings on people's tax bills was like $200. Today, we're back in the same situation, except we don't have a court order, and now they are also trying to phase out the franchise tax without a new revenue stream. All revenue problems are supposed to be offset by "economic growth" of course.

My opinion, which isn't worth a lot because I'm just some rando, is that there isn't really a good solution to school finance in Texas because we're competing between two mutually exclusive constitutional requirements: one that the state provide an "equitable and adequate" education to every student and the prohibition against a statewide property tax. Robin Hood was supposed to fix this when they passed it in '93, but now like 60 districts are in recapture and richer cities (Austin ISD sends the most money to the state under recapture, incidentally) are salty about remitting millions in local tax revenue they could use to provide expensive educations to their consituents to the state for redistribution to poor districts.

zoux fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Feb 5, 2019

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Friend posted:

P much

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Friend posted:

The purpose of the Texas legislature is to outlaw any attempt by the cities to make society work

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
I think some of the issues with Robin Hood also deal with poor areas being property rich so HISD has to send recapture money to the state almost entirely by virtue of its size and the inclusion of commercial districts within its boundaries which requires them to send away tens of millions of dollars that are desperately needed to serve a district of largely low income children.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

corn in the bible posted:

The purpose of the Texas legislature is to outlaw any attempt by the cities to make society work

Have they taken up a bill to ban the mandatory sick leave ordinances from the cities yet?

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
HB 222 by Krause

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/madlinbmek/status/1092979014103457792

https://twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/1093155580334747648

e: THIS poo poo again
https://twitter.com/JesseRodriguez/status/1093175150734987264

zoux fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Feb 6, 2019

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Aggies aren't taking Abbott's SotS proposal to bring back the UT/A&M game
https://texags.com/forums/5/topics/3019182

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
An Aggie screaming into the void an ultimatum for Con Carry is so on point for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Play football against us you cowards