Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Oh I guess Vincenzo Natali would make Canadian Horror-ushmore as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I say put John Fawcett on Canadian-Horror-Rushmore.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

It’s a flawed premise for a debate, though. I started thinking about King’s influence, and went down that rabbit hole.

You can't even really just look at adaptations either. Both of their work is so deeply ingrained in our culture that there's a ton of horror that has been heavily influenced by it without being a direct adaptation. Much like Lovecraft.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Canada is Villenueve, Cronenberg, Bob Clark and Natali.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

You can't even really just look at adaptations either. Both of their work is so deeply ingrained in our culture that there's a ton of horror that has been heavily influenced by it without being a direct adaptation. Much like Lovecraft.

It’s especially complicated since King’s biggest influences are Lovecraft, Jackson, and Poe.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Stephen King's A-list writing career has exceeded Poe's lifetime and achieved much greater cultural penetration.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

King housed way more booze and blow than Poe could have imagined. He is the winner on this alone.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jedit posted:

Stephen King's A-list writing career has exceeded Poe's lifetime and achieved much greater cultural penetration.

Only thing that remains to be seen with King is how much longevity the work itself has, compared to Poe. Because Poe has been dead for 170 years now, and is still an extremely well known name in literature. His influence is still very strong. The fact that his actual writing career was shorter than King's isn't as important as what happens in the decades after that imo.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Which how much poo poo King's name has crept into with films and how many are loved films, I'm sure King's name will be around for decades after his time.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

TheKingslayer posted:

King housed way more booze and blow than Poe could have imagined. He is the winner on this alone.

He also didn't elope with his kid cousin or whatever, whatever his other faults.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Only thing that remains to be seen with King is how much longevity the work itself has, compared to Poe. Because Poe has been dead for 170 years now, and is still an extremely well known name in literature. His influence is still very strong. The fact that his actual writing career was shorter than King's isn't as important as what happens in the decades after that imo.

Yeah I’ll be convinced of that when 7th graders are required read Nightmares and Dreamscapes for school, writing 5 paragraph essays about what that toilet ghost story tells us about twentieth century business culture or something.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

TheKingslayer posted:

Poe drank himself to death didn’t he?

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Drunkboxer posted:

I think the jury is still out on that. Last time I checked they didn't even have a death certificate for him.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
A real Rushmore of American horror would, per the actual Rushmore, have to have two 'founding fathers' that everyone just kinda of accepts as being on the money but nobody actually gives a poo poo about, some way out there crank whose bullishness automatically endears him to our hosed up culture of dominance but is really disturbing in retrospect, and finally someone that gets virtually universal admiration for the populism of their character and the relative quality of what they actually did.

So, basically, it'd be: Thomas Edison, Tod Browning, John Landis, and Wes Craven

It's dire, but it's honest.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

TheKingslayer posted:

Drunkboxer posted:

lol pissing contesting these horror authors' poser exploits when Mary Shelley lost her virginity in an affairs she arranged to be held at her mother's grave and then carried a literal piece of her dead husband's heart in a locket forever.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Basebf555 posted:

King’s arguably the most significant name in literature of at least the last thirty years, and beyond the fact that he’s already been established as a pop culture figure in his own lifetime, the sheer volume of his work and breadth of his influence on other creators will almost certainly assure his relevancy remains long after his death.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Look into your hearts and you'll see that whoever directed Saw 2 is on American Rushmore whether we like it or not

Edit: they take Roosevelt's place obv

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Apparently the new Blu Ray of Miike's Audition is heat

quote:

Brand new 2K restoration of original vault elements

Original 5.1 Dolby Surround Audio

Optional English subtitles

Audio commentary with director Takashi Miike and screenwriter Daisuke Tengan

Brand new commentary by Miike biographer Tom Mes examining the film and its source novel

Introduction by Miike

Ties that Bind – A brand new interview with Takashi Miike

Interviews with stars Ryo Ishibashi, Eihi Shiina, Renji Ishibashi and Ren Osugi

Damaged Romance: An appreciation by Japanese cinema historian Tony Rayns

Trailers

Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Matthew Griffin

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

lol pissing contesting these horror authors' poser exploits when Mary Shelley lost her virginity in an affairs she arranged to be held at her mother's grave and then carried a literal piece of her dead husband's heart in a locket forever.

Speaking of which, I did a double feature of the new Mary Shelley this weekend along with Ken Russell's Gothic. It's interesting to see what details both movies focus on (they're both about the Shelleys' stay at Lord Byron's and the events that led up to the publishing of the Vampyre and Frankenstein).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1C_xrvI0xQ4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-WGaZaojFc

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Neo Rasa posted:

Lady was a freak. I respect that.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

This is one of the best posters I've seen in a while.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Hollismason posted:

Roger Corman , John Carpenter , Wes Craven , George Romero.

There that's America's Horror Rushmore

No HGL?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

If you're gonna have Corman then no need for HGL imo. Corman is everything HGL was just better and more prolific.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

If you're gonna have Corman then no need for HGL imo. Corman is everything HGL was just better and more prolific.

Hmmm I'm not sure i can cosign on this monuments construction.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

MacheteZombie posted:

Hmmm I'm not sure i can cosign on this monuments construction.

Guess I'm gonna put the Horror thread into partial shutdown until we figure this out.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TheKingslayer posted:

He also did so much cocaine he forgot he wrote Cujo. He only remembered he wrote it when his literary agents brought up selling the movie rights.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

K. Waste posted:

A real Rushmore of American horror would, per the actual Rushmore, have to have two 'founding fathers' that everyone just kinda of accepts as being on the money but nobody actually gives a poo poo about, some way out there crank whose bullishness automatically endears him to our hosed up culture of dominance but is really disturbing in retrospect, and finally someone that gets virtually universal admiration for the populism of their character and the relative quality of what they actually did.

So, basically, it'd be: Thomas Edison, Tod Browning, John Landis, and Wes Craven

It's dire, but it's honest.

This is why the Four Pillars Of Heaven are a better organizing principle than Rushmore.

Kobashi: Craven
Misawa: Carpenter
Kawada: Romero
Taue: Lloyd Kaufman

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I haven't seen more than a handful of HGL's films, but I'm pretty confident in saying he never made anything nearly as good as Corman's best. I saw Blood Feast this past year and wasn't really that entertained by it, Joe Bob's anecdotes about Hershel were much better than the actual movie.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Blood Feast is one of those things that's fun to watch for it's historical precedent and how it evolved the gore aspect of the genre, but not much beyond that. It's a nice one-and-done. I got to see it in theaters as part of a film festival, so it was fun in that venue.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

I don't know if Lloyd Kaufman should be on the horror monument.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Hollismason posted:

He should have some kind of monument

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Hollismason posted:

He's hiding inside of the monument, probably in his underwear

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

A monument to Lloyd Kaufman was just be a eternal burning dumpster

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Hollismason posted:

A monument to Lloyd Kaufman was just be a eternal burning dumpster

I too have been to jersey

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Iron Crowned posted:

He should have some kind of monument

Name a sewage outflow in his honour.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

I watched The Lift on Shudder last night, which is the story of how an elevator repairman's dedication to his job ends up destroying his marriage. There's a subplot about an elevator with a brain made of oozing microchips that wants to kill Dutch people.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Liberal Idiot posted:

I watched The Lift on Shudder last night, which is the story of how an elevator repairman's dedication to his job ends up destroying his marriage. There's a subplot about an elevator with a brain made of oozing microchips that wants to kill Dutch people.

So, the elevator was the hero of the film?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Franchescanado posted:

Blood Feast is one of those things that's fun to watch for it's historical precedent and how it evolved the gore aspect of the genre, but not much beyond that. It's a nice one-and-done. I got to see it in theaters as part of a film festival, so it was fun in that venue.
I could watch it again, but beyond the historical curiosity aspect, the entertainment value is as a MST3K film. I mean, it's hilarious that the bumbling police cannot find the most conspicuous and incompetent serial killer I've ever seen.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

I just finished sitting through Don't Leave Home on Shudder. Overall it's pretty decent and it was nice to see a modern gothic horror not handled all draggy. *coughPrettyThingthatlivesinthehousecough*

There's no gore in it just a lot of atmosphere and tension.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Hollismason posted:

Lloyd Kaufman, John Waters, Larry Cohen, and Kenneth Anger for Mt. Crustmore.