Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Criterion Now is really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

That's way too many podcasts with the same schtick.

TeezyBBQ
Jul 23, 2018

Dr.Caligari posted:

I was looking for podcasts about movies and I can’t believe how many Criterion- centric podcasts there are .

Criterion Cast isn’t too bad, is there a better one I should be listening to? It doesn’t have to be about just Criterion titles, but I prefer talk about older movies/ classics rather than just what is in theaters

For non-Criterion focused classic film stuff, I highly recommend Pure Cinema Podcast and The Important Cinema Club. Both dive into tons of lesser known/forgotten classics and have engaging and funny hosts. The Important Cinema Club is relatively surface dive into the films themself, but they love to pull out super deep, weird film-makers that get no love whatsoever (as well as serious looks at absolute trash filmmakers). Pure Cinema is absolutely fantastic and by far the best film podcast I’ve heard. They typically dive extremely deep into a theme and pull all sorts of less widely known films into the mix, plus they’re amazing at making the stuff they’re talking about sound incredible. I feel like every episode I listen to, I’m learning about at least 5 films that are completely off my radar entirely.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

TrixRabbi posted:

That's way too many podcasts with the same schtick.

Yeah, I mostly just listen to Next Picture Show and Filmspotting. Occasionally Adjust Your Tracking or The Canon.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

TeezyBBQ posted:

The Important Cinema Club

quote:

The Impossible Filmography of Jess Franco (Part1)

Lord all mighty . Know what I’m listening to on the way home. Thanks !

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The absolute only movie podcast I can stand is Film Junk.
It's extremely personality driven. There's a more arthouse guy (documentary director Jay Cheel) who's trying to institute a blockbuster veto system so he doesn't have to review any more superhero movies, and a more populist guy who accuses the other two of having "classitosis" or "criterionitis."

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jan 29, 2019

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
The Movies That Made Me is a good one. It's co-hosted by Joe Dante and they talk with industry veterans about favorite movies of theirs that they normally don't get to talk about. For the most part, the guests are way more laid-back than in normal interviews since they're just friends sitting around.

I'm still going through it, but the William Friedkin episode is one of the best.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Teenage Fansub posted:

The absolute only movie podcast I can stand is Film Junk.
It's extremely personality driven. There's a more arthouse guy (documentary director Jay Cheel) who's trying to institute a blockbuster veto system so he doesn't have to review any more superhero movies, and a more populist guy who accuses the other two of having "classitosis" or "criterionitis."

the term populist literally has nothing to do with comic book movies. Fury Road is the closest thing to a populist film in the last two decades, and it rules for that reason, among many others.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

In terms of movie podcasts, the main one I listen to is Travis Bickle On The Riviera, the only podcast where you're as likely to hear a discussion on In The Mood For Love as on the Amazon Jack Ryan series.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Haven't seen anything on twitter yet, but I just got an e-mail about the new Criterion Channel launching on April 8th. They're gonna be stream a new movie for free every week, rotating on Wednesdays, until then.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
yaaaay

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Haven't seen anything on twitter yet, but I just got an e-mail about the new Criterion Channel launching on April 8th. They're gonna be stream a new movie for free every week, rotating on Wednesdays, until then.

https://twitter.com/criterionchannl/status/1090695174580248576

edit:

https://twitter.com/criterionchannl/status/1090706801971118082

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jan 30, 2019

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I'm just stoked it's available in Canada for a change.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
The new Criterion Channel pre-launch Movie Of The Week just went up, and it's Chunking Expresss.

Hopefully, this is a hint about upcoming physical releases. But at least there being a space where it's widely available is nice.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

SomeJazzyRat posted:

The new Criterion Channel pre-launch Movie Of The Week just went up, and it's Chunking Expresss.

Hopefully, this is a hint about upcoming physical releases. But at least there being a space where it's widely available is nice.

WONG BOX WHEN

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Release it at the same time as the Edgar Wright box :v:

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Chris Knight posted:

Release it at the same time as the Edgar Wright box :v:

Edgar Wright’s blu rays have more features than a typical criterion as-is, so I’m not sure what the point would be

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Colonel Whitey posted:

Edgar Wright’s blu rays have more features than a typical criterion as-is, so I’m not sure what the point would be

I mean, I'd love for some newly produced featurettes academically looking at his heritage that he homaged, but realistically its mostly visual. He's doing the commentary on Police Story though, so it could happen?

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

I, Butthole posted:

I mean, I'd love for some newly produced featurettes academically looking at his heritage that he homaged, but realistically its mostly visual. He's doing the commentary on Police Story though, so it could happen?

I could see that, but maybe later in his career it would make more sense. Also I had no idea about him doing that commentary, that was already an instant buy for me, now I’m extra pumped.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Colonel Whitey posted:

Wright/Wong.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

:doh: I’m dumb and need jokes explained to me

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

I'd rather have Edgar Wright curate a box set of underseen films in need of restoration that Criterion could tackle, a la the Martin Scorsese World Cinema box sets. That's Criterion's true value.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

TrixRabbi posted:

I'd rather have Edgar Wright curate a box set of underseen films in need of restoration that Criterion could tackle, a la the Martin Scorsese World Cinema box sets. That's Criterion's true value.

Hell yeah

Also along those kind of lines, RZA curating an Eclipse set of Shaw Brothers films.

whatevz
Sep 22, 2013

I lack the most basic processes inherent in all living organisms: reproducing and dying.

whatevz fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Apr 25, 2022

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Anyone else having problems getting Criterion Channel to play on Roku? I'm using the VHX app to try rewatching Chungking Express, and every time I press play, it sends me back to the menu.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

According to Kino Lorber, they tried to get Orson Welles' The Trial in their StudioCanal deal, but it was "promised to another label already"

Seriously, it's looking like between Kino's bigger haul and what likely went over to Criterion from StudioCanal, this is one of the best liberations of a library since Olive (and later Kino) rescued the Republic library.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

What’s the actual turnover time for the Movie of the Week on CC? Hard midnight PST? Later? Early the next morning? Racing against time.

edit: looks like they don’t change out until the actual work day of Wednesday.

Peacoffee fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Feb 13, 2019

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Movies this week are early Finney pics: Saturday Night and Sunday Morning, and Tom Jones.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Saturday Night and Sunday Morning is really good

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

How is the Chromecast support on the Criterion Channel? No apps on anything I own means I'll have to use my laptop.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Saturday Night and Sunday Morning was good, but not great.

Finney is great in the lead role. I appreciate that the film neither settles on him being a hero (which he clearly is not) or a villain, but instead an immature rebel with more muscle than common sense. He lives in a dream world, he'd much rather be a drunk than anything else, and he pretty much fucks up the lives of everyone around him.

I loved Shirley Anne Field. Doreen's a quiet character who says a lot with her eyes. She's infatuated with Arthur, but can't decide if she thinks she can straighten him up or if she's scared of him. He seems capable of bringing great harm to her and her family, if he decided to be more than just a bored rogue.

I think what lands flat for me, overall, is that it's clear that Doreen and Arthur's relationship is a doomed one. Arthur will inevitably cheat on Doreen, because he is terrified of settling down, being traditionally happy, or resembling his parents in any way, and he follows his carnal interests without regards for the people it may hurt. He also is terrified of being a parent. And I guess there's value to the mundane resolution with Arthur never getting a comeuppance. There is no punishment, no karmic retribution. He has to live with his guilt, I guess, but he seems more upset that he has to start compromising and playing nice with others. Which sucks for him, I guess, but it's a soft ending for me.

Visually, I loved the movie. The roller coaster scene, the scenes of him falling down in the alley, all of that was great.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

May releases:

The Heiress

Funny Games (1997)

House of Games

Let The Sunshine In

One Sings, the Other Doesn't

:siren:Blue Velvet:siren:

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Would be pretty cool if it were both Funny Games.

Blue Velvet looks awesome.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Kinda surprised they went with Blue Velvet, one of the only Lynch movies outside the Collection that already has a good Blu-Ray release, over Lost Highway or Inland Empire, which ...don't. But hey, Blue Velvet on Criterion is still a day one purchase for me.

Also, that Funny Games cover looks baaad.

Friends Are Evil fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Feb 15, 2019

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Friends Are Evil posted:

I don’t think I could disagree with this any more. It’s loving perfect.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

The text looks really jarring on first viewing, but that's just me.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
It's the font used for its infamous title sequence :ssh:

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Honestly, I've never actually seen either version. I deserved that.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Friends Are Evil posted:

Kinda surprised they went with Blue Velvet, one of the only Lynch movies outside the Collection that already has a good Blu-Ray release, over Lost Highway or Inland Empire, which ...don't. But hey, Blue Velvet on Criterion is still a day one purchase for me.

Would an Inland Empire Blu-Ray even be worthwhile? Iirc it was filmed on kinda low res digital.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Detective No. 27 posted:

May releases:

Let The Sunshine In

Hell yeah.

Bout time.