Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Has she tried instant coffee? $8 for 25 servings isn't too bad

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-instant-coffee/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Have you tried those travel mug filling drip coffee makers? You could even be awesome and grind the beans for her. I mean, they're not amazing machines or anything, but they're like $25 and would taste a lot better than a Keurig.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Jhet posted:

Have you tried those travel mug filling drip coffee makers? You could even be awesome and grind the beans for her. I mean, they're not amazing machines or anything, but they're like $25 and would taste a lot better than a Keurig.

This is the answer I'd go with- there's even some models that do both that and the pot, or either.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Jhet posted:

Yeah I think this is what she’s looking for. Half the reviews on amazon suck regardless of which one I look at though.

She has decided to give up the k cups though-so success on that front!

It seems like if you want anything decent, your options are a drip machine or a pour over method. I was hoping there would be something that would grind and brew automatically into a travel mug, but nada.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

nwin posted:

I was hoping there would be something that would grind and brew automatically into a travel mug, but nada.
https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Coffee-Single-Travel-Grinder/dp/B0196B3M58

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Thanks! I guess I shouldn’t be surprised it’s a blade grinder.

I have a Baratza Virtuoso, so I’ll just get a different coffee maker and grind the beans for her each day.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
I got some of the civet poo poo coffee for Christmas last year aka a month ago. How would I go about brewing this? Also, the best way to brew it. If I'm gonna drink some poo poo I hope I get that poo poo right.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

I got some of the civet poo poo coffee for Christmas last year aka a month ago. How would I go about brewing this? Also, the best way to brew it. If I'm gonna drink some poo poo I hope I get that poo poo right.

I've only had it once and it was pourover. It was pretty good, but not super remarkable. Super mellow and not a lot going on flavorwise, but low on the bitterness and just a nice mild nuttiness.

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

I've been making cold brew in a mason jar for a while. Previously I just eyeballed everything, but I recently picked up a kitchen scale and decided to try and look up some ratios by weight and see if I can make things more precise. Most said around 1:7 or 1:8 but when I tried it seemed to be way more concentrated than what I usually went with. Like by volume it looked closer to 1:3 or so. Is this normal or could it be that the beans are ground too coarse?

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

rockcity posted:

I've only had it once and it was pourover. It was pretty good, but not super remarkable. Super mellow and not a lot going on flavorwise, but low on the bitterness and just a nice mild nuttiness.

*insert Austin powers joke here*

Pour over it is

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

plz dont pull out posted:

I've been making cold brew in a mason jar for a while. Previously I just eyeballed everything, but I recently picked up a kitchen scale and decided to try and look up some ratios by weight and see if I can make things more precise. Most said around 1:7 or 1:8 but when I tried it seemed to be way more concentrated than what I usually went with. Like by volume it looked closer to 1:3 or so. Is this normal or could it be that the beans are ground too coarse?

Most of those super strong cold brew recipes expect you to cut it with an equal amount of water when you actually drink it. I'm not sure if there's a difference in the end result if you just make it weaker to begin with. It doesn't seem like there'd be.

Bullet Magnet
Sep 26, 2007
it's THAT GUY!

Clark Nova posted:

Most of those super strong cold brew recipes expect you to cut it with an equal amount of water when you actually drink it. I'm not sure if there's a difference in the end result if you just make it weaker to begin with. It doesn't seem like there'd be.

that sounds like a cold-brew Americano. I suppose the benefit is that anyone can make their "coffee" to whatever strength they wish by simply adding more water/milk/creamer.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
The first time I made cold brew I didn't realize the recipe was intended to be diluted afterward. I was taken aback that I had plowed through the same amount of grounds that usually lasts me 4 days in a day and a half...

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.
I've been using about a 1:7 ratio also; then pour it into a glass full of ice. It tastes perfect to me.

I have been buying bad coffee for the cold brew; whatever is cheap and ground already (I hate messing with my grinder to change from my espresso settings). By cheap and ground, it's the same coffee that you can get whole bean, but this is pre-ground.

Also my understanding is that this is perfect for cold brew, and that buying or roasting better coffee won't translate to a better cup. Is this correct? With caveats?

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
It will still give you a better end result using better beans, but a lot of the nuance to fresh roasted and quality beans is lost with cold brew. To me it's mostly that you get a more pronounced "coffee" flavor versus pre ground cheaper coffee which is a lot more mellow and muted.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
I save the few remaining grams from each bag and throw them into storage for cold brew season. It's better than preground, but after cutting it with milk the difference isn't really that significant.

e: I'm thinking of getting a dedicated grinder for espresso since the Lido is serviceable but a pain to adjust. Is there a sub-700 dollar automatic grinder that's quiet, low retention, and single dose friendly? The Ceado E5P looks close to what I want, but the on/off switch isn't friendly with bottomless portafilters.

Spiggy fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Feb 5, 2019

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I'm thinking about getting my dad a new coffee maker for his birthday - I roast frequently for him and my mom, but they're still making due with a cheap Mr Coffee drip machine. They've tried a French press but that's not my mom's favorite.

Any suggestions for an upgrade? A better drip machine is fine, they definitely won't do espresso or anything. And no Keurigs. They're also still using a blade grinder, if that matters (but anything I roast gets pre ground for them).

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Hamilton Beach is $40. Not as good as a pour over set up or a Bonavita but if it's pre-ground coffee no one will be complaining.

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-coffee-maker/

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I'm not a coffee drinker. I did, however, look into cold brews and thought the Starbucks cold brew with vanilla sweet cream would be a good test to see if I can drink the stuff. Seems like a bad choice, since it tastes like a skunk poo poo in my mouth.

So what would be a decent mild roast (I really don't like the bitter coffee taste) that I can easily pick up for a cold brew experiment? I'm going to try a DIY vanilla sweet cream that I found online, and I would like to do a proper experiment with a not-poo poo coffee.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
Where do you live? You can probably go top any short market and find cheap brands that will work great for cold brew. Trader Joe's? I'd get a medium roast. But TJs also has s decent cold brew concentrate. Mix 50/50 with some whole milk. That's my summer coffee drink when it's super hot out.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I'm in Connecticut. Trader Joe's is a bit of a drive, but doable. I'll check them out. Thanks!

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

berzerkmonkey posted:

I'm not a coffee drinker. I did, however, look into cold brews and thought the Starbucks cold brew with vanilla sweet cream would be a good test to see if I can drink the stuff. Seems like a bad choice, since it tastes like a skunk poo poo in my mouth.

So what would be a decent mild roast (I really don't like the bitter coffee taste) that I can easily pick up for a cold brew experiment? I'm going to try a DIY vanilla sweet cream that I found online, and I would like to do a proper experiment with a not-poo poo coffee.

I'm kinda curious why you're trying to drink coffee when you're not a fan of coffee...

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

qutius posted:

I'm kinda curious why you're trying to drink coffee when you're not a fan of coffee...

I'm looking for a pick me up in the morning. Long drive, early workday, etc. I heard that cold brew was smoother and with the sweet cream mixed in, I thought it would be something I would find palatable. I'll give it a shot - if I don't like it, no harm, no foul.

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?
I don't know many people that liked the taste of coffee right off the bat if that helps.

There are lots of caffeinated drinks though - you can also do caffeine pills as well.

I've never heard anyone compare it to skunk poo poo though...

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

Yeah coffee is like beer and whiskey for me in that it took drinking it a fair number of times before I got used to the taste and started to like it. In my case I started drinking it out of necessity during college to stay awake during class. Ultimately it comes down to how much you want to like it and are willing to power through the "tastes like strained water through a fireplace" phase.

All that being said, I do think cold brew is an easy entry point. Dirt simple to make and a mellower taste.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Just admit you're addicted to caffeine and pop a pill you loving junkie. Why go through all these weird contortions when you don't actually want or like coffee?

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006

DRRRAAINAGE!!!
I've had a baratza virtuoso for about 4 years now. Maybe I'm just looking too hard but my grinds seem to have a lot of fines. How often should the burrs get replaced on these machines? I only put a cup's worth of beans through it each day.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Sir Lemming posted:

The first time I made cold brew I didn't realize the recipe was intended to be diluted afterward. I was taken aback that I had plowed through the same amount of grounds that usually lasts me 4 days in a day and a half...
:wtc: I'm supposed to dilute my cold brew??
I've been making that poo poo and drinking it next day like nothing...I mean I like it that way. I routinely order 'LIGHT ICE' when I get an iced coffee/brew from a cafe. Get that gross water outta there! EW!

Sextro posted:

Just admit you're addicted to caffeine and pop a pill you loving junkie. Why go through all these weird contortions when you don't actually want or like coffee?
hey man gently caress u. I love burnt liquid beans juice.

ShortyMR.CAT fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Feb 6, 2019

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Coffee: the hot 'tolerate life' liquid
Beer: the cold 'tolerate life' liquid

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Bronze posted:

I've had a baratza virtuoso for about 4 years now. Maybe I'm just looking too hard but my grinds seem to have a lot of fines. How often should the burrs get replaced on these machines? I only put a cup's worth of beans through it each day.
Rarely, if ever, in a residential setting. Are you having a problem that you're trying to solve? If not, and the coffee tastes good, stop looking at your grounds.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

I've been making that poo poo and drinking it next day like nothing...I mean I like it that way. I routinely order 'LIGHT ICE' when I get an iced coffee/brew from a cafe. Get that gross water outta there! EW!

You dilute it if you make a concentrate. Some recipes have like a 1:6 coffee bean ratio and that's crazy high and expensive if you drink it straight. If you order from a cafe it's ready to drink.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Light ice is sort of a double edged sword. On one hand, you get more of whatever the drink is, assuming they fill it to the top regardless. On the other hand, because there is less ice, the drink will actually melt more of it faster than it would if it were filled with ice because it is absorbing the surrounding heat. You end up with a more diluted drink with light ice. The least dilution actually comes from a glass full of crushed ice because it has so much surface area to keep the drink cold.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The good coffee shops make ice cubes out of coffee so that doesn't happen.

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006

DRRRAAINAGE!!!

bizwank posted:

Rarely, if ever, in a residential setting. Are you having a problem that you're trying to solve? If not, and the coffee tastes good, stop looking at your grounds.

Not really. I can never seem to get the thing back together on the first try after cleaning though. I always get a giant grinds at all levels even though I'm so sure everything was set back exactly the same. Oh well..

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Mu Zeta posted:

The good coffee shops make ice cubes out of coffee so that doesn't happen.

:hmmyes:

Local cookie shop doesn't come a long way in the making of coffee, but at least they make coffee ice cubes.

Also the cookies are good.

ShortyMR.CAT fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Feb 7, 2019

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011

Bronze posted:

Not really. I can never seem to get the thing back together on the first try after cleaning though. I always get a giant grinds at all levels even though I'm so sure everything was set back exactly the same. Oh well..

Did you put the ring burr back in correctly? That's the most common cause of an Encore/Virtuoso producing large grinds on all settings - the ring burr has a specific orientation and the colouring on one of the tabs rubs off over time, making it easy to put it back in the wrong way.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Well for the recipe I was using, yes. Although I've heard the end result with cold brew, generally, is less caffeinated per bean. (That "per bean" is key, though.)

I would imagine a good rule of thumb is, if going by the recipe you end up using 2-3x as many beans as you would for the same amount of hot coffee, you're probably supposed to dilute it. But I mean, you do you. Depends on whether you can afford hella beans.

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Feb 7, 2019

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'll be honest with you guys, I use the Donut Shop coffee grounds from walmart. A giant bag of the stuff is like 6-7 bucks or something. I make a small bottle of the stuff every now and then.
https://www.amazon.com/Hario-FIC-70...E10140B2NSMK0AM

I use a Hario Coffee bottle. But I mean...if I happen to get access too or buy better beans I use them. This is my cheapo fix.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

That's gotta be insanely bitter. I tried a friend's cold brew with a similar pre-ground bean and I barely could handle a sip, in fairness he hated it too and he just got a nice Mexican bean from a farmers market and them do a coarse grind on it from then on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

three tablespoons just three tablespoons