Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

I hate that parking brake switch because my brain can't figure out if it or down corresponds to on or off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Colostomy Bag posted:

That honestly doesn't seem half bad...a lot of those buttons are for seats and climate control.

It's not on the level of some other button walls posted but I was not expecting it when I looked in the window. But then I'm a poor so looking into a Porsche was quite a treat for me until they came out shaking a can of nickels and using a water bottle to get me away from the car

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

hifi posted:

I hate that parking brake switch because my brain can't figure out if it or down corresponds to on or off

It’s the same in every new car and don’t worry, no one knows if you’re supposed to pull or push it to engage/disengage.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

hifi posted:

I have to check if it engaged every drat time on my girl's Subaru for the same reason.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

drgitlin posted:

It’s the same in every new car and don’t worry, no one knows if you’re supposed to pull or push it to engage/disengage.

Yes. I looked like an idiot (which is usual) when I drove my BIL's Mazda. To me it looked like a toggle switch but it was a push/pull deal.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

It's the same as a manual one. Pull to engage, push to disengage.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Flyinglemur posted:

Am I too late for button chat because the other day I looked into a Porsche Macan and welp

That's the best picture I could find but the GTS model I was looking at seemed to have all of those blanks filled with switches and whatnots as well.

I kinda want one of those consoles and replace all the buttons with covered toggle switches.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

hifi posted:

Can confirm that I always forget which way it turns off/on.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Yes, it would be cool (no pun intended) to flip up a cover switch to change the cockpit temp.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Those button blanks are like low end kenworth poo poo.

It just tells you there are cool options you don't have.

They should fill every single one with random buttons even if they do nothing but but turn on the dome light or some poo poo.

Then again, i'm neurotic to the point where i had each driving light on it's own switch to fill out the switch panel.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

That's one good thing about touchscreen control. No random blanks in the car for features you don't have.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

bull3964 posted:

That's one good thing about touchscreen control. No random blanks in the car for features you don't have.

New money making idea: put random button blanks in the touchscreen GUI, sell buttons through software updates.

Somebody get Elon on the phone! I think i just invented paid car DLC

Standard: one wiper speed, 2 blanked out buttons
$199.95: 3 buttons. Fast. Medium, and slow.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Feb 6, 2019

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Unfortunately the touchscreen is a $10K option.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Colostomy Bag posted:

Unfortunately the touchscreen is a $10K option.

Naw, it's good that it's a $10,000 option because it sucks

It's bad that it's part of the $10,000 option package that is the only way to get cruise control and aluminum wheels.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Flyinglemur posted:

Am I too late for button chat because the other day I looked into a Porsche Macan and welp

That's the best picture I could find but the GTS model I was looking at seemed to have all of those blanks filled with switches and whatnots as well.

I legit love the Cayenne and Macan interiors for this reason. My wife works with a guy that has a Macan S and it's a great place to be in. I've given serious thought to a used Cayenne.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Powershift posted:

Naw, it's good that it's a $10,000 option because it sucks

It's bad that it's part of the $10,000 option package that is the only way to get cruise control and aluminum wheels.

Or pull a BMW and charge a subscription fee for Car Play.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

CornHolio posted:

I've given serious thought to a used Cayenne.

Heh, to be honest I wish they would do something batshit crazy and go with an Expedition/Tahoe sized vehicle.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
My wife and I have the poverty Macan and it's honestly a fantastic car. The interior is great, the steering is worlds better than the Q5/X3, and it's also got a ton of space with the seats down. If I knew I'd be driving it as much as I am we would have gotten the S, but that's just being greedy. Even the base model is plenty for everyday driving to the mall am I rite.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Aren't they selling the Panamera wagon now?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Residency Evil posted:

no matter what you achieve financially, material goods will fail to fill the void in your life.

Well that's true, but also every car has blank buttons because there are mutually exclusive option packages. :carol:

Go full bespoke or go home.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Aren't they selling the Panamera wagon now?

Yes and it rocks, but they don’t have buttons anymore, it’s all black panels with haptic feedback: https://arstechnica.com/cars/2018/05/porsches-panamera-4-e-hybrid-sport-turismo-is-a-heck-of-a-hybrid/

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

As Nero Danced posted:

I kinda want one of those consoles and replace all the buttons with covered toggle switches.

check out the Citroen DS5 roof switch panel

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

check out the Citroen DS5 roof switch panel

I had a 2005 Mini that was all kinds of toggle switches. Not sure if they are still there.

I liked them.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Flyinglemur posted:

I had a 2005 Mini that was all kinds of toggle switches. Not sure if they are still there.

I liked them.

I had an '03 and yeah the toggles loving owned. I miss that car. Maybe I'll pick one up as a winter beater if the Volvo ever dies (it won't).

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

https://twitter.com/zacestrada/status/1093566664283746305

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

I just dont get Subaru.

(As Im looking forward to checking out the redesigned Forester XT last year)

"No one buys the turbo model, so we are getting rid of it!"

So I went out and bought a CRV instead.

Subaru proceeds to then make a turbo Ascent and now a turbo 2020 Legacy.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
The MQB GLI is out. 228hp, IRS, 6 speed manual or 7 sp DSG, maybe mechanical LSD, 6 year warranty.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Looks awfully high off the ground.......CUV Miata?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Franco Caution posted:

I just dont get Subaru.

The turbo exists in the Legacy because it's replacing the 3.6R for fuel economy reasons.

The Ascent needs all the power it can get, it is a fuckin :btroll:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Franco Caution posted:

I just dont get Subaru.

The turbo Forester stopped selling because Subaru cut its balls off. Gee you think there might be a clue there?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The turbo exists in the Legacy because it's replacing the 3.6R for fuel economy reasons.

The Ascent needs all the power it can get, it is a fuckin :btroll:

Wow, you're not kidding: 6001 lbs gross vehicle weight rating for the Ascent. How much does an F150 weigh anyway?

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
GVWR for the F150 is 6100 to 7k.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Twerk from Home posted:

Wow, you're not kidding: 6001 lbs gross vehicle weight rating for the Ascent. How much does an F150 weigh anyway?

gvwr is max loaded weight, not curb weight. It tops out at 4587lb curb weight. Still weighs the same as a CCSB 2.7 f-150.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Powershift posted:

gvwr is max loaded weight, not curb weight. It tops out at 4587lb curb weight. Still weighs the same as a CCSB 2.7 f-150.

Yeah, I was trying to compare how much it has to haul around when loaded up with people and stuff to max capacity. Still looks similar to pickup trucks!

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Twerk from Home posted:

Why the gently caress is it so heavy compared to other cars in that class?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Twerk from Home posted:

Yeah, I was trying to compare how much it has to haul around when loaded up with people and stuff to max capacity. Still looks similar to pickup trucks!

Well that config f-150 which weighs the same has a GVWR of 6650lbs, so yeah, it's pretty close.

The ascent is rated to tow 5000lbs so i would imagine what's required of that contributes to it's curb weight and GVWR.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Why the gently caress is it so heavy compared to other cars in that class?

It's not. The curb weight for pretty much all 3 row SUVs are 4600-4900lbs.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

I have to imagine the Ascent's transmission will be puking fluid out towing 5K on a minor grade.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

I want one, but that is a buttload of cash.

949 Racing basically did one of those a few years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Colostomy Bag posted:

I have to imagine the Ascent's transmission will be puking fluid out towing 5K on a minor grade.

it's definitely not set up to tow more than light poo poo

if you have a couple of sleds and whatnot you are buying a BOF SUV or pickup anyway