Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

iospace posted:

I actually had someone say "thanks but no thanks"

lol how old was that interviewer? 9?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

qhat posted:

I guess yeah, it depends if you're looking for someone who has done some good stuff in SQL Server at some point, as opposed to someone who claims to be extremely specialized in it and expects figures because of it. Like my biggest thing is C++ and there's no way in hell I'd get caught out with an equivalent question like that.

yeah that's how we try to do it - tailor the questions to their level of experience and specialization, and ask a variety of questions because nobody has done everything

we also ask open ended tech questions too - one of my current faves is "tell me about something you dislike with c#/sql server/etc" which i probably stole from here

iospace posted:

I actually had someone say "thanks but no thanks" for my inability to remember CS 101 terms but would certainly recognize them if given examples.

what sort of questions did they ask?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Schadenboner posted:

So you’re saying I should get into consulting?

:v:

one of us
one of us
one of us

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Bloody posted:

hi hello

Hello, I'll shoot you a DM tomorrow if that's ok, I just wanna chat about which teams might be a good fit and how you like it there and stuff.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

ADINSX posted:

Hello, I'll shoot you a DM tomorrow if that's ok, I just wanna chat about which teams might be a good fit and how you like it there and stuff.

yes excellent pm me here or dm me on yosslack or whatever suits your needs

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Bloody posted:

yes excellent pm me here or dm me on yosslack or whatever suits your needs

just slid into your DMs; how do i get on yosslack?? I didn't even realize it existed

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

ADINSX posted:

how do i get on yosslack??
which one

iospace posted:

I actually had someone say "thanks but no thanks" for my inability to remember CS 101 terms but would certainly recognize them if given examples.
yes? someone was probably offering a job, not a seat in class?

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

JawnV6 posted:

which one

yes? someone was probably offering a job, not a seat in class?

it’s really impossible to judge that story without knowing the terms in question

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

JawnV6 posted:

which one

Whichever one Bloody is in I guess, I didn't realize there was more than one

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

ADINSX posted:

Whichever one Bloody is in I guess, I didn't realize there was more than one

there are obviously 420 different yos slacks

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Captain Foo posted:

there are obviously 420 different yos slacks

hosed up if true

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
in the spirit of programming, we should make a new one to join all the others together in

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Cold on a Cob posted:

what sort of questions did they ask?

Sadly it's been so long since that interview. I remember bombing it pretty hard because of the questions, but I don't remember much else. I think it would be using visual basic so a bullet dodged in the end? :shrug:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Here lies YOScord, thought of Slack and died.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
if a recruiter contacts you for a job posting you already know about, is it better to let the recruiter sell you or should you apply directly instead?

Handsome Wife
Feb 17, 2001

CrazyLittle posted:

if a recruiter contacts you for a job posting you already know about, is it better to let the recruiter sell you or should you apply directly instead?

A third-party recruiter? Definitely apply directly, because a) third-party recruiters are trash and will lie to your face and b) they charge something like 20% of a year's salary to place you, which means you're a lot more expensive to the employer if you go via the recruiter.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Counter point: While the prevailing advice is "don't use the recruiter" sometimes (not often) third party recruiters can have a very good relationship with the managers at a company and can end up being your best ambassador. You should remember why the company is using a recruiter, it's because they are struggling to find someone for the role independently. From what I know, the commission paid often doesn't really affect your offer you'll get, they are paying the commission to get someone in right now. The recruiter's incentive to get paid also aligns with yours and they can do some very effective negotiating on your part.

That being said, if it's just some scrublord Robert Half rear end in a top hat who won't give the name of the company in their initial message or whatever, then this is almost certainly not going to be the case. Otherwise, just use your best judgement.

mekkanare
Sep 12, 2008
We have detected you are using ad blocking software.

Please add us to your whitelist to view this content.
Interviewer asked me how my current job makes sure current practices when designing software are best and I had nothing for him. Sorry dude, if it compiles and doesn't mung up the rest of the system somehow it's probably going in. I liked the part where he mentioned how there would be very little legacy code to deal with, and I wanted to mention that last week a coworker found code still in use that invovled checking for people born before 1900.

Skyl3lazer posted:

Well for me, I was a contractor that couldn't be onboarded with my govvie project, so there was literally no billable work for me to do. How long they would have paid me a salary for doing no billable work wasn't a question I enjoyed asking (obviously I didn't ask them directly)

Oh I see. Really messed up that people were calling the furlough a free vacation...

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

mekkanare posted:

Interviewer asked me how my current job makes sure current practices when designing software are best and I had nothing for him. Sorry dude, if it compiles and doesn't mung up the rest of the system somehow it's probably going in. I liked the part where he mentioned how there would be very little legacy code to deal with, and I wanted to mention that last week a coworker found code still in use that invovled checking for people born before 1900.

"I'm sorry, it was my understanding that i was a candidate for this position was based on my skills and experience and anything proprietary to my current company was not the impetus for this interview, is that not the case?"

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
That's a weirdly specific and useless question to evaluate a candidate with.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Seems like they were just fishing for "code reviews and we make sure to keep up with the latest technologies and frameworks when we can". If your job is dealing with a bunch of legacy stuff "when we can" is "never"

but the main answer here I think would be code reviews... if someone has been doing something a certain way for 20 years and someone, either a new hire or just someone that's heard of a better way spots the old way in a PR then they can point that out

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
gotcha, but I think it's more valuable to evaluate people on what they WANT to do, not what their current job LETS them do

i think it would be better to ask "what sort of development practices do you think leads to good code?" and then drill down from there

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
i actually ask a question like this in my interviews:

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

i just got a rejection email from a place i applied to literally a year ago

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Cold on a Cob posted:

gotcha, but I think it's more valuable to evaluate people on what they WANT to do, not what their current job LETS them do

i think it would be better to ask "what sort of development practices do you think leads to good code?" and then drill down from there

Yeah thats a good point. Its sort of a chicken and egg thing though, what if what your current job LETS you do is just the collective will of the developers there. I.e we don't do code reviews because no one wants to do code reviews.

I've worked at places that were still stuck on SVN, never did any sort of branching or PRs or anything (I know SVN lets you make branches but its not as intuitive as git... not that git is intuitive but you know what I mean). So if I was being asked that question while still at that job I'd respond "I don't think we follow best current practices at <current job>. I've tried making the case for blah blah and blah but management and my fellow developers aren't interested, which is one of the reasons I'm looking elsewhere".

At any rate being honest and saying "meh if it doesn't break poo poo it goes in" is obviously a red flag, even if thats all management wants or expects, you have to signal that you're not happy with that arrangement and know how it SHOULD be.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

mekkanare posted:

I mean, it's been a whole two years since the last person born before 1900 died, so that actually doesn't seem that bad? :shrug:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Cold on a Cob posted:

i actually ask a question like this in my interviews:

:hmmyes:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

HoboMan posted:

that strikes me as far more insulting than just never following up altogether

although it may also mean it took them over a year to finally fill a position, in which case lol

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i think my longest interval between application and final rejection was eight months.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

HoboMan posted:

I'm still waiting for that to happen on this one:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

ADINSX posted:

Yeah thats a good point. Its sort of a chicken and egg thing though, what if what your current job LETS you do is just the collective will of the developers there. I.e we don't do code reviews because no one wants to do code reviews.

I've worked at places that were still stuck on SVN, never did any sort of branching or PRs or anything (I know SVN lets you make branches but its not as intuitive as git... not that git is intuitive but you know what I mean). So if I was being asked that question while still at that job I'd respond "I don't think we follow best current practices at <current job>. I've tried making the case for blah blah and blah but management and my fellow developers aren't interested, which is one of the reasons I'm looking elsewhere".

At any rate being honest and saying "meh if it doesn't break poo poo it goes in" is obviously a red flag, even if thats all management wants or expects, you have to signal that you're not happy with that arrangement and know how it SHOULD be.

good point re: chicken and egg, i agree. and that's a good way to answer it. but i do think it's a bad look to encourage applicants to poo poo-talk their current/former jobs specifically... word gets around and such.

e.g. instead of asking "why are you leaving your job" i ask "what are you looking for in a new job?"

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

quote:

We are looking for "you" to be a "self-starter" along with showing our company that you have a "validated track of success" as well as a "strong sense of ownership".

hmm

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

'strong sense of ownership' to me sounds like some serious blame game goes on regularly at the company

not actually a red flag but that's what I'd think

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Yeah, I got an email from a company about... 3 weeks ago? Saying they were considering for the next steps. Silence since then.

mekkanare
Sep 12, 2008
We have detected you are using ad blocking software.

Please add us to your whitelist to view this content.
I basically said if there's any questions about the way code is shunted in to defer to get input from architects or senior developers.

feedmegin posted:

I mean, it's been a whole two years since the last person born before 1900 died, so that actually doesn't seem that bad? :shrug:

I don't know exactly what the check was for as it was in some mainframe transaction, but what I didn't convey in my last post was that the guy was basically doing a dickwaving about how little legacy code there was compared to the company having been around for ~30 years and I was biting my tongue.

Don't expect training and be able to cover your rear end as you'll be blamed a lot for everything?

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
things are moving forward with a job i'm very excited about doing the kind of programming i like and am good at!!!!!!!!!!!

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

DONT THREAD ON ME posted:

things are moving forward with a job i'm very excited about doing the kind of programming i like and am good at!!!!!!!!!!!

that's awesome :)

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

iospace posted:

Yeah, I got an email from a company about... 3 weeks ago? Saying they were considering for the next steps. Silence since then.

that's normal. my hiring process at Apple was nearly 10 months beginning to end, with multiple month+ gaps in communication. it was a big mental adjustment from back when I could wear a tie to an interview for line cook and walk out with a new job, but that's just the way this industry is.

if you're looking to stay in Milwaukee it'll probably take even longer because there's more candidates than openings tbh. our fair city just doesn't have that many programmer jobs or I never would have left.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

had a programmer screening today, went well until i flubbed remembering what the hell a minmax heap is (never heard it by that name, beats the hell out of double-ended priority queue though)

think i still muddled through to the right answer, though i should have just grabbed my mouse and started sketching whiteboard style to aid my own thinking (or just get a whiteboard for home, lol)

i gotta improve my basic data structures knowledge for sure though, just a messy mental scattering of knowledge unconnected to names or proper descriptions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Today I applied for two jobs I am manifestly unqualified for at one of the two main fintech shops here in the metro-Milwaukee area.