Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Wolfsheim posted:

Let me play as Sadie in a bounty hunting DLC. Or Charles prize fighting by day and just killing the poo poo out of the white man by night:hellyeah:

Lenny wakes up one day in camp and Hosea tells him,"Listen things are going bad, but I think I can fake our deaths and get us a fresh start...." :hellyeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Lenny has an interesting backstory based on the letter from his dad and I’d be keen to know more.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Lol at the idea of anyone on this website fending off a 50 lb dog much less a 200lb loving wild apex predator

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Lol at the idea of anyone on this website fending off a 50 lb dog much less a 200lb loving wild apex predator

Maybe not, but it certainly would never forget the unholy case of indigestion it'd get from feasting on my innards!

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Yeah I'm putting all my faith in the one story I heard about a guy that surrendered to the cougar and it let him live

E and the cougar would be high as poo poo after he ate me, I've gotta have a few hundred active mg floating through the old blood system at any given time

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Cougars are like the Predator in that if they acknowledge you don't pose a threat then they will leave you alone.

OR they will kill you twice as hard, also like the Predator.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

:okpos: yeah dude i could toally take a mountain lion barehanded

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I've never seen a cougar, but one time while walking to the store I walked past a couple of coyotes and when they noticed me they both turned to run at the same time, tripped over each other, and tumbled into a ditch.

So basically I won.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

seems like wasted effort to suffocate it snapping its neck would be much easier

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost

doctor 7 posted:

lol let's be real more American men weigh more because they're fat not because they're hulking masses of lean muscle

:agreed:

not sure why you thought otherwise

Reign Of Pain fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Feb 6, 2019

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Epilogue: Uncle’s a real piece of poo poo who should stop picking on my friend John.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Well he redeems himself, kind of, in RDR1.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Mantis42 posted:

Well he redeems himself, kind of, in RDR1.
My memory of 1 is so spotty. Didn’t know he was in it, and despite rewatching all of Dutch’s scenes it never triggered any memories. I remember Bill, Javier and the broad strokes of Marston’s story.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Red Dead Redemption 1 spoiler: His terminal lumbago is not cured by the time RDR1 takes place. :(

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

His beard also gets real gross

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Jerusalem posted:

Lenny wakes up one day in camp and Hosea tells him,"Listen things are going bad, but I think I can fake our deaths and get us a fresh start...." :hellyeah:

"I'll tell Arthur about it when I deliver this tuberculosis vaccine"

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Hobo Clown posted:

You son of a bitch... :qq:

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I was dumb and skipped over the credits. I looked up the details of what I missed. Is any of it proper cutscenes or is it all just video snippets while the credits music plays?

Also, it’s funny how Micah is so hatable yet you just wanna punch Marston for being stupid enough to go after him.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

snoremac posted:

Also, it’s funny how Micah is so hatable yet you just wanna punch Marston for being stupid enough to go after him.

I also wanted to punch Sadie for totally missing Arthur's point. No you idiot, Arthur didn't do all that poo poo to stop Micah, he did it to get John and his family out, and here you are dragging him back in.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...
Finally finished the last mission last night after playing since launch and wow, gently caress Dutch. What a piece of poo poo. Also, my horse!! That got me right in the feels when Arthur sits there while horsey does and whispers thank you in his ear. Sigh.

Just started Epilogue 1 and John has a stupid outfit on that makes him look like a chump hipster.

I do wish I could play thru RDR1 in this game tho - it’s been years since I beat it and replaying on an updated system would be sweet.

Peragus
Sep 13, 2011

snoremac posted:

I was dumb and skipped over the credits. I looked up the details of what I missed. Is any of it proper cutscenes or is it all just video snippets while the credits music plays?

I was rooting for John in that moment.

yeah yeah revenge bad, Arthur wouldn't want this, John has a responsibility to his family, etc etc but I've wanted to kill that fucker since Strawberry.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

I wish you could've had the choice of not killing Micah, and then in the end credits instead of the scenes with Ross tracking down John, you'd see scenes of John living a quiet life with his family and ultimately dying peacefully :unsmith:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Ignis posted:

I wish you could've had the choice of not killing Micah, and then in the end credits instead of the scenes with Ross tracking down John, you'd see scenes of John living a quiet life with his family and ultimately dying peacefully :unsmith:

drat that would've been genius. They absolutely should've done that.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Everybody getting pissed at John and Sadie for going back and killing Micah are missing a key point in the game: it's a game about making your own decisions. Arthur finally defies Dutch and makes his own decision to help John and his family get out. John and Sadie have a choice to let it go, Arthur would want that probably, but it's still their choice to make.

Mary Linton's storyline kind of plays into this as well because as much as you would like Arthur to change it doesn't matter, even if he did he's got terminal TB. Sometimes your choice is basically made for you. Did John and Sadie have a choice? Sort of, but Micah is such a piece of poo poo that not only killed Arthur but ruined the gang too. Sometimes you knowingly make a choice that has a net loss because you view it as the right thing to do.

This also plays into RDR1's ending where justice in the west often occurs outside the law. Micah would go unpunished from the law if it wasn't for John and Sadie. Agent Ross would as well if it wasn't for Jack. I view RDR1's ending with a lot more hope after watching RDR2 now. John went back for revenge but if it wasn't for Ross forcing his hand he would not have engaged in any more criminal activies. He was just living at his family ranch trying to raise his family. Similarly everybody assumes Jack is now a hardened criminal because he killed Ross when really Ross is somebody that was an evil man on the right side of the law, for justice he had to die. We've got no reason to believe that Jack is a bad person. He didn't seek revenge for his father and Uncle until after his mother died, assumingly to spare her feelings. But once she did pass he had to avenge his father. None of the story missions for Ross require you to kill anybody. The only killing you do as Jack is Ross, unless you as a player choose to kill people.

So basically RDR2's ending combined with the context of what happens between RDR2 and RDR1 actually provides some hope for RDR1's ending. If Jack is his father's son, as people kept saying, he would be done with killing after Ross. As John was done with killing after Micah.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

doctor 7 posted:

So basically RDR2's ending combined with the context of what happens between RDR2 and RDR1 actually provides some hope for RDR1's ending. If Jack is his father's son, as people kept saying, he would be done with killing after Ross. As John was done with killing after Micah.
I don't know about you, but I killed thousands of people in RDR1.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Crows Turn Off posted:

I don't know about you, but I killed thousands of people in RDR1.

Again that is your choice as a player. However canonically between RDR2 and RDR1 Marston left his old life behind and doesn't kill anybody and just works the ranch.

Peragus
Sep 13, 2011

doctor 7 posted:

Mary Linton's storyline kind of plays into this as well because as much as you would like Arthur to change it doesn't matter, even if he did he's got terminal TB. Sometimes your choice is basically made for you. Did John and Sadie have a choice? Sort of, but Micah is such a piece of poo poo that not only killed Arthur but ruined the gang too. Sometimes you knowingly make a choice that has a net loss because you view it as the right thing to do.

This also plays into RDR1's ending where justice in the west often occurs outside the law. Micah would go unpunished from the law if it wasn't for John and Sadie.

As seen in the epilogue, he was still murdering innocent people seven years later and would have murdered a little girl if one of his crew didn't stop him. I'm glad John put him down even if it was for selfish reasons.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

doctor 7 posted:

Again that is your choice as a player. However canonically between RDR2 and RDR1 Marston left his old life behind and doesn't kill anybody and just works the ranch.
Did you finish RDR1 with Perfect Stealth or something? I guarantee you killed hundreds of people because the game forces you to do that.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
I was pretty sure that the ending of RDR1 drives home that the cycle of violence and revenge only leads to dissatisfaction and broken people, not that Jack would just kill Ross and be like "There, that's done. Now to live my previously desired life of reading and fantasy."

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

ALFbrot posted:

I was pretty sure that the ending of RDR1 drives home that the cycle of violence and revenge only leads to dissatisfaction and broken people, not that Jack would just kill Ross and be like "There, that's done. Now to live my previously desired life of reading and fantasy."

Yeah i suppose it’s open to interpretation but I don’t see how you can reasonably interpret it any other way. John tried to keep his son on the straight and narrow but he turns out to be a gunslinger just like his pa; I don’t remember if the game ever explicitly fills in the gap years between the end and the postgame, but jack obviously spent them training to be a killer; I don’t think the badass “red dead redemption” sting at the end is meant to imply that “now the killing is over and everyone lives peaceful and happy”, i think it’s deffo supposed to be a downer ending

And yes, at the end of rdr2 John tries to put the guns away for good, but that’s after a lifetime of gangster poo poo, with a family to look after. Jack is young and unattached, and now doesn’t really have any skills besides gunslinging; the implication is that he’s just now starting down that path that John tried to keep him off

hevnz 2 murgatroyd
Apr 13, 2018

by Smythe

Peragus posted:

As seen in the epilogue, he was still murdering innocent people seven years later and would have murdered a little girl if one of his crew didn't stop him. I'm glad John put him down even if it was for selfish reasons.

Are there different outcomes based on what you do in Dead Eye after Dutch shoots Micah? I just shot him in both guns because I wanted to disarm him so he could die slowly from his gut wound while we all called him a piece of poo poo/we got to hang him somewhere, but he just kind of staggered back and died, so it really seemed like Dutch got the coup de grace.

A thought I had after finishing the game - why the hell do the Pinkertons/government care so much about Dutch's gang of like 8 guns? Every other gang you come across seems to roll like 70 deep. Even Micah had managed to recruit a small army. Is it just because everyone in Dutch's gang are wild west warrior gods who can put down 15-20 people a piece at one time?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

hevnz 2 murgatroyd posted:

Are there different outcomes based on what you do in Dead Eye after Dutch shoots Micah? I just shot him in both guns because I wanted to disarm him so he could die slowly from his gut wound while we all called him a piece of poo poo/we got to hang him somewhere, but he just kind of staggered back and died, so it really seemed like Dutch got the coup de grace.

A thought I had after finishing the game - why the hell do the Pinkertons/government care so much about Dutch's gang of like 8 guns? Every other gang you come across seems to roll like 70 deep. Even Micah had managed to recruit a small army. Is it just because everyone in Dutch's gang are wild west warrior gods who can put down 15-20 people a piece at one time?

I emptied my gun in his skull and he did the same stagger which was just funny what with all these new gaping face holes.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

hevnz 2 murgatroyd posted:

Because they target banks and capitalists like Cornwall who have enough money to have them pursued forever.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I emptied my gun in his skull and he did the same stagger which was just funny what with all these new gaping face holes.

If you shoot him in the head that scene is very Breaking Bad-esque.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Crows Turn Off posted:

Did you finish RDR1 with Perfect Stealth or something? I guarantee you killed hundreds of people because the game forces you to do that.

Yes, once you are dragged back into the life, not by choice by Agent Ross you can kill people again as John. I am talking about the events between RDR2 and RDR1. In those events John doesn't do anything except work his ranch.

Also in RDR1 I finished with killing less than 10 civilians. And those I did kill were on accident due to auto targeting, so yes you can avoid killing innocent people. RDR1 John can be played as a better person than Arthur.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Hobo Clown posted:

Hosea: Okay, step 1 of my brilliant plan, we get Arthur to fake having tuberculosis.....

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

What real-life locations are the game’s areas representing? RDR1 is Texas and Mexico? I’m less clear about 2, except that California is somewhere.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I was thinking Lousiana, Arkansas/Kentucky and the Rockies.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

snoremac posted:

What real-life locations are the game’s areas representing? RDR1 is Texas and Mexico? I’m less clear about 2, except that California is somewhere.

RDR1 I think tried to be Mexico, South and East Texas, and into West Louisiana and Arkansas/Oklahoma.

I think RDR2 is all that plus Louisiana/New Orleans/Deep South, Missouri and into Colorado and the Northern Rocky Mountains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

snoremac posted:

They're all Rockstar-style pastiches of real places.

Lemoyne is representative of the deep south: Georgia (especially Scarlet Fields), Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana (with the bayous and St. Denis).
Roanoke Ridge is Appalachia/Ozarkia.
The Grizzlies are the Rocky Mountains, both the high Rockies and some of the rugged areas of Wyoming, Montana, etc.
The Heartlands represent places like the more rugged parts of the Plains States.
Cumberland Forest is the Rocky Mountain foothills of eastern Colorada, Wyoming, Montana, etc.
Guarma is Cuba.
West Elizabeth is a pretty diverse area, representing places like St. Louis (Blackwater), Great Plains, eastern California (Tall Trees). I'm not sure what exactly Big Valley is meant to represent, but it's a pretty prototypical Western US wooded river valley.
Most of New Austin represents places like West Texas / Kansas / Oklahoma (Hennigan's Stead), East Texas / Louisiana (Stillwater Creek) New Mexico (Rio Bravo), and Arizona (Cholla Springs), Nevada and Southern California (Gaptooth Ridge).
Mexico is, obviously, Mexico, and I'm not familiar enough with Mexico's geography to point out specific correspondences between the in-game Mexican regions and real-life ones.