Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

thepokey posted:

I never realised how weird Cow Dude’s neck is. It’s like Jordan Silk, but muscular

He seems to have gone for the Michelangelo's David look this year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Oh good, our most important KPP at either end have been selected for the idiot league

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Who let the two best Rorys get involved in this nonsense :argh:

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
I still can't believe the AFL looked at AFLX last year and thought "no, it's good, but what it really needs is some kind of tabletop party card game bullshit".

Seriously, "steal cards"? Also :lol: at Betts not being allowed to have one.

Still, I can see why they want to have this sideshow going on, it's not like there's another AFL season going on right now or anything :doh:

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
There were lots of little girls at Kardinia park last Saturday night

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
The whole draft thing whilst having a vibe of mates bantering, also felt like they were taking the piss (as they should) and treating it as one big pay day. The AFL probably like to think they’re laughing with them, but it’s surely at them. There has to be some kind of players agreement too to make this like this NBA All Star game - all offence, weak tackles, going at 50%. I reckon the EJ legends game will look more intense

thepokey fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Feb 7, 2019

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I will actually be interested in how many people show up to watch AFLX.

Yes, it's cheap. Yes, it's on a day with no other footy, (I think. They wouldn't be stupid enough to schedule it literally against an AFLW game would they?). And yes, it will be over soon and is a gimmicky thing that a family might go to.

But even with all of that, the sheer insurmountable stupidity of the whole excercise, and how far removed from actual footy it is will surely keep many people at home. Coz I would posit the people that would want to watch it, want to watch it out of morbid curiosity, and that is better done on TV where you can change the channel at your convenience.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

If Gaff is playing in this, can he punch someone in the mouth again and not increase his existing suspension because this isn't official competition?

Is Toby Greene playing?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Diet Crack posted:

If Gaff is playing in this, can he punch someone in the mouth again and not increase his existing suspension because this isn't official competition?

Is Toby Greene playing?

Nup, any suspensions incurred in AFLX are served in the actual football season

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

I'll probably end up watching the first match for curiosity sake and get bored with it, just like last year.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Solemn Sloth posted:

Nup, any suspensions incurred in AFLX are served in the actual football season

In a wholly stupid situation, if this is true, it becomes the absolute dumbest thing.

Can’t have your All-Star game cake and make it count, too.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

harperdc posted:

In a wholly stupid situation, if this is true, it becomes the absolute dumbest thing.

Can’t have your All-Star game cake and make it count, too.

No, this is pretty much the only sensible thing about the whole of AFLX. If you break someone’s face in AFLX you should be serving a proper suspension.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Solemn Sloth posted:

No, this is pretty much the only sensible thing about the whole of AFLX. If you break someone’s face in AFLX you should be serving a proper suspension.

AFLX with players being selected by team captains and at the end of a pre-season shouldn’t ever be taken that seriously. There’s a reason there aren’t major injuries in the NFL’s all-star game, and it’s because the players know it’s for fun.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

harperdc posted:

AFLX with players being selected by team captains and at the end of a pre-season shouldn’t ever be taken that seriously. There’s a reason there aren’t major injuries in the NFL’s all-star game, and it’s because the players know it’s for fun.

Which makes it even worse if some lunatic breaks someone’s face while everyone else is having a laugh (and getting paid more than aflw players)

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

harperdc posted:

There’s always some arshole who takes it all too seriously and can’t just play for fun

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

If you are playing AFLX so angrily that you punch someone, or even if you care so much as to put in a tackle high, hard, and/or dangerous enough to injure someone, then for sure you deserve to lose regular season games.

But to do that you would have to be so dumb, and so much inflicted with "white line fever" that the good blokes(tm) who are the captains would probably not pick you on their team. Luke Hodge notwithstanding

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

BrigadierSensible posted:

If you are playing AFLX so angrily that you punch someone, or even if you care so much as to put in a tackle high, hard, and/or dangerous enough to injure someone, then for sure you deserve to lose regular season games.

But to do that you would have to be so dumb, and so much inflicted with "white line fever" that the good blokes(tm) who are the captains would probably not pick you on their team. Luke Hodge notwithstanding

Our generation’s Jeffrey Dahmer, Andrew Gaff, was also selected

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Solemn Sloth posted:

Our generation’s Jeffrey Dahmer, Andrew Gaff, was also selected

Well he missed out on a Grand Final. It would be truly heartless not to let him in on the prestige and glory that is AFLX.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/cleary_mitch/status/1093677630908391424?s=19

Last years #1 Isabell Huntington also did her ACL and missed most of the 2018 season, she still hasn't returned for this season just yet either. Last years #3 did her foot and will miss all of this season ontop of Nina Morrison only getting to play 1 game this season before an ACL.

It isn't great for the competition.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Feb 8, 2019

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

22 touches on the weekend ffffffffffffffffffffffffff

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
I don't give a poo poo about AFLX, but at the same time Jade Gresham is a late in for Team Deadly :swoon:

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

drunkill posted:

https://twitter.com/cleary_mitch/status/1093677630908391424?s=19

Last years #1 Isabell Huntington also did her ACL and missed most of the 2018 season, she still hasn't returned for this season just yet either. Last years #3 did her foot and will miss all of this season ontop of Nina Morrison only getting to play 1 game this season before an ACL.

It isn't great for the competition.

Ugh what

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Holy poo poo I thought AFLX couldn't get more poo poo but https://www.afl.com.au/aflx/superstars

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Positioning themselves to make a mobile game, I see.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Serious question:

When this version of AFLX dies on it's arse, (poor ratings, poor turnout, players bad mouthing it, clubs disrepecting it etc.), what are they going to do to "jazz it up" next year?

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

HeroBall

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Serious question:

When this version of AFLX dies on it's arse, (poor ratings, poor turnout, players bad mouthing it, clubs disrepecting it etc.), what are they going to do to "jazz it up" next year?

Actual super soldier serum given to players

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Serious question:

Two more Xs.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Lingerie football league

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

hiddenmovement posted:

Lingerie football league

A fair chunk of the older AFLW players have experience cause there were gently caress all other opportunities for sportswomen to pay the bills

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Thankfully they didn't do that for aflw...

Jacinta Barclay for GWS played in that leauge, got arrested for trying to start a union for players. She wrote a good article about it on the playersvoice website the other year when aflw started.

Edit: Here it is - https://www.playersvoice.com.au/jacinda-barclay-life-lingerie-giant-leap/

Next version of aflx will bring back retired stars of the game plus multiball, of course.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Feb 8, 2019

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

drunkill posted:

Next version of aflx will bring back retired stars of the game plus multiball, of course.

I can legit see this happening. A team of current players, a team of past players, an under 22 team, and a mix of past and current player team

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
GWS vs North in 45 mins (get your tips in)

Absolutely pouring down in Sydney right now with big storms. I wonder if they game will be halted due to lightning again like last year?

http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDR714.loop.shtml

Edit: DelayFL
https://twitter.com/GWSGIANTS/status/1093781305626513408?s=19

drunkill fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Feb 8, 2019

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

monolithburger posted:

I don't give a poo poo about AFLX, but at the same time Jade Gresham is a late in for Team Deadly :swoon:

This is pretty much the only thing I've heard about AFLX that has made me somewhat interested to watch it. I also like that he's replacing Steven May.

Dimestore Merlin
Jul 14, 2007

Obey your Spider-Lord

monolithburger posted:

I read this as "team Daddy" and was suddenly far more interested in AFLX.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
It’s getting to that fun stage of the preseason where all the match sim highlights are coming out, recently drafted players are apparently impressing at training, established players are in ripping nick and it’s hard not to be pumped for the season ahead. I can’t wait for the preseason games to start AFLX excluded of course.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Cue the injury reports from this dumb as gently caress gimmick in AFLX.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

lol thinking the AFL are going to back away from pushing AFLX next year with Marvel sponsoring their stadium

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

The kicking in the womens league has clearly improved again this year. Long direct disposal more often than not.

EDIT: Goal kicking still shithouse lmao

hiddenmovement fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Feb 9, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Diet Crack posted:

Cue the injury reports from before this dumb as gently caress gimmick in AFLX from players who never wanted to play it in the first place.

Like seriously, I am surprised that there are so few players/clubs faking "general soreness" as an excuse not to risk playing in this farce.