Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

I really want this game to be successful, not least because of the consumer friendly business model. I find grinding for cards in Hearthstone or MTGA extremely tedious. Artifact is looking very stingy as well. I have enough scraps for a full set of standard cards in Gwent already so I can just focus on enjoying the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Yeah, I'm personally in the gwent is fun camp. I don't think it was better (or worse) when playing a card that plays a card that plays another card from your graveyard that creates a card compared to the lower power we have now - both versions have advantages. I know I miss playing nilfgaard with every card with 'create' on it, like alchemy nilfgaard but bad. There's certainly a number of things I am quite glad are gone, and some things that I hope go away. I guess if you are sick of gwent, time to find a new game, happens to everyone eventually.

Also agree that getting the stuff you want from this game is great, between picking cards from kegs and all the bonuses from the reward track and daily wins, I've never felt put down by the grind - much unlike the other card games I've tried (duelyst, hearthstone)

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I decided to stop playing for now, and will come back for two more weeks after the December update.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I think the game is way more fun now than it was when the beta launched.

Not enough to keep me hooked long term unless there are some really good updates/expansions though.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The game improved in several areas, but also feel as now it has less skill ceiling, it has less 'game space' to make really big plays. It's more balanced, but it's a balance reached through neutering.
Before you could play around concepts like when to pass in a more strategic manner, now it's all rigged so it's almost impossible to gain a big edge over your opponent. Most games end in a fairly contested round 3 (with exceptions when someone picks a decks that totally counter the opponent, but that's random chance), which it seems something desirable in a way, but after a while you notice it's always like this, and it's like that because the game design forces it, not because you happened to have found a super close rival.

I have some slight hopes they relax some restrictions on the design on December. For example if they increase the card hand cap to 11 instead of 10, it would be slightly more advantageous again to pass on the some situations.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Nov 19, 2018

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

If my memory serves me correctly...

Wedge Regret
I like the concept of raising the hand limit to 11.

Beyond helping make passing more stategic, One of my pet peeves about the 10-card handlimit is that playing birna bran (draw 2, discard 2) as a first play doesn't work with the 10-card limit (she just draws/discards 1 card, for those curious and lucky enough not to know from experience.)

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
I'm just gonna get the few people I knew who liked Gwent, drop 20 bucks on Artifact, and play infinite drafts against each other forever.

rip gwent.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I'm liking the game now, except reveal can suck my rear end. It's such random garbage that's perfectly average when it misses and OP when it hits.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

rydiafan posted:

I'm liking the game now, except reveal can suck my rear end. It's such random garbage that's perfectly average when it misses and OP when it hits.

Very much agreed, it feels like every nilf opponent just throws arbalests and recruits into their deck for no real downside.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Here are the preview contents of the december patch:

quote:

Eithné - only 4 charges to her leader ability for the whole game

Morvran Voorhis - ability tweak

Hemdal added to the game

Thunderbolt - Targets only allies and has two charges which boost by 3

Wolfsbane - targets all units, not only enemies

Xavier Lemmens - cost up to 12 provisions and can only banish up to 3 cards

Also, well be introducing a quality of life improvement where you can right click on you deck and see which cards are left (in random order of course)

We're also thinking about adding armor to artifacts, so units can remove them, but won't be able to implement this by December.

Nobody works on this game apparently.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

:v: I might have expected as much, slightly surprised no mention of reveal, roach, or wolf witcher trio. Right-clicking deck to see remaining card will certainly be helpful as I randomly change decks every match and can not remember what exactly is in each of my 12 decks for when I use ADC / MO. Wonder if that's all or just a sample?

Captainicus fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Nov 20, 2018

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

Wedge Regret

No Wave posted:

Here are the preview contents of the december patch:

Nobody works on this game apparently.

you missed part of it:

"Main focus are tweaks to card power and provision costs. "

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
I'm sad because I built a fun little Crach control deck with a Jutta-BDM finisher and I never actually get to use it. Not because I don't draw it (because I always do; deck thins itself to one or two cards in most games and between that and Crach's mulligans I can pretty much guarantee any card I need in R3), but because I keep queuing against shite NR decks or Dorf decks (because people think it's still the early days of CB, I guess?) and they either rage-forfeit with several cards left in their hand after I Ger:Pro some critical unit or other, or they fall so far behind while down a card in R3 that I win without having to play BDM. :saddowns:

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I've been playing Thronebreaker and I'm really torn about what I feel about it.

On the one hand the graphics and attention to detail are really nice. I'm enjoying being back in the Witcher universe and it's especially interesting doing the 2nd Nilfgaardian war. I like the characters and I also in theory like Gwent although as others have said it's insanely easy - even compared to the one from Witcher 3.
I barely read enemy card descriptions and only the fight at the end of Act 4 was properly and actually difficult.

However I absolutely hate the puzzles. I also don't particularly like searching for the treasure chests.
I think partly this is down to the game feeling a bit like....I've got half of something where I'm meant to get rewards for another half that I don't have. So when I open a chest I've spent ages looking for and get 300 gold I feel a bit ripped off when I've picked up more than that just looking at pieces of wood on the map.

Or when I've done a puzzle that there's just absolutely no way I'd work out on my own (I'd say out of about 50 I've been able to do 3) and your reward is nothing at all...it's just dispiriting and disappointing. The puzzles feel like a different game and I don't have the time or patience to work out the exact way they want me to play the cards, it's just not fun for me.
I wish you could skip them even if you didn't have it on easy so I can have proper games and clear the puzzles from the map without having to do them.

I'm enjoying having a deck that allows you to draw as many cards as possible and I really like levelling up my character cards by making them like you in logical ways. Having my dwarf be +++ and doing 20 damage is glorious.

It is interesting how the other factions are so much less grey (as mentioned) than in Witcher 3 or even in the books but I guess Meve is just a standard human so people will treat her differently.

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

Wedge Regret
updated list:

Autophagy

(15) Old Speartip
(11) Weavess Incantation
(10) Naglfar
(10) Golyat
(9) Ozzrel
(8) Count Caldwell
(8) 2x Ghoul
(7) 1x Griffin
(6) 2x Celaeno Harpy - new MVP
(6) 2x Cyclops
(5) Alpha Werewolf
(5) 2x Forktail
(5) 2x (young?) Foglet
(5) 2x Drowner
(4) 2x Ancient Foglet
(4) 2x Nekker
(4) 1x Archespore

An iteration on cyclops being good is adding in Celaeno Harpy and Foglet and taking out the artifact hate suite and nekker warriors. You eat your little dudes to make your forktail better value. Foglet does a smidgeon of thinning while still being just big enough to trigger your tiny thrive dudes. Harpy also gives you better options in eating damaged guys vs. crach (to turn off bloodlust, mess up their shihl planning) and disrupting schirru/scorch math for Eithne.

Deck is challenging to play, but fun!

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Both Gwent and Thronebreaker has recevied updates. In case of Gwent, it's the typical balance/bugfixing https://playgwent.com/en/news/24562/december-2018-update-overview, in case of Thronebreaker https://forums.cdprojektred.com/index.php?threads/thronebreaker-update-1-01-patch-notes.10992448/#post-11279710 , apart from bugfixing they have increased the difficulty in Normal and Hard modes as I wanted.

I think I'm going to replay Thronebreaker now, skipping dialog I already saw, and getting a pair of character I didn't get before.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I'm giving this a try -- I feel like I never played beyond the tutorial in the beta but I still have like 20k ore somehow which is apparently enough to craft like a fifth of the cards in the game, wow! What's a fun deck to try out? I've got experience with other CCGs but I know Gwent is pretty different... I like playing grindy decks with lots of graveyard recursion

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

Wedge Regret
My ghoul deck (above) is still good if you like (effective) graveyard recursion stuff. I also like an Eist Heimdall/warrior Skellig graveyard fun times deck, too.

One of the things you gotta watch out for is the difference between "playing" a card and "summoning" a card. Sigdrifa will not trigger deploy effects, Eist will!

Right now is a good time to experiment with graveyard stuff as a nasty graveyard hate card just got a major nerf.

Enjoying post-patch gwent; lots of great variety in ranked right now.

Edit: LOVE the ability to right click on deck to review remaining cards; super useful when mulling in r3 or with naglfar/call of the wild.

The Lemondrop Dandy fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Dec 5, 2018

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

So yes, Thronebreaker now plays much better. In the second map most enemy units have +2 armor/+2 power on Hard mode, and in some battles where the enemy spawn tons of extra units with special effects, that extra 4 points that you need to remove makes it much harder. You have to *gasp* to optimize a bit your deck to the enemy and play the game a bit better.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Enjoying the suddenly super popular NR engine deck atm. Feels like it has so many good cards that I want to play all at the same time that I am constantly spoiled for choice which feels sort of good.

Something like this:

https://gwentup.com/decks/197

also - EVERYONE PLAY GWENT ~!

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

Wedge Regret

Qmass posted:

EVERYONE PLAY GWENT ~!

hell yeah

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I have a few pseudo-netdecks and I'm getting ok at playing them but man the mulligan phase in this game really stresses me out, especially with all the cards like Roach and the Wolf Witcher trio that you don't want in your hand at the start of the game.

I feel like I can suss out lines of play okay during the game but I'm almost never confident I'm making the right decision during the redraw section, and it feels very critical compared to other card games where you're drawing new cards every turn

edit: also I love the meteorite dust system so much -- it lets me make shiny cards without feeling like an idiot for spending resources that could instead be used to grow my collection

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/348214276 - Roadmap overview

https://www.reddit.com/r/gwent/comments/a5lq4d/roadmap_overview_livestreal/

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

The new director guy seems to actually play the game which is good. But yeah this is OB all over again but without the charm.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

they added new leaders and this game is getting 2k viewers on twitch again. even swim came back

alive game??

Estraysian
Dec 29, 2008
I'm not surprised Swim swapped back, he used to get more viewers playing Gwent than Artifact has total players.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Estraysian posted:

I'm not surprised Swim swapped back, he used to get more viewers playing Gwent than Artifact has total players.

Gwent seems to have x10 the viewers on Twitch these days. (Which is still pretty small, but Artifact is dead.)

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

eyyyy they added new stuff? worth a check out I guess

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

question for veteran (rofl) gwent players: did the new game move away from the old deck-thinning madness? or are the good decks still the ones that swallow your deck in a few turns

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I'm not too much of a new gwent expert but I think of mainstream decks only discard skellige can thin at or close to zero like old gwent decks did. A lot of thinning cards were redesigned and the remaining ones often have prohibitive points/provision costs

GoldenPrice
Oct 2, 2013
Have they done anything to fix the card advantage problem where 99% of the time both players go to round 3 with a full hand?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HC is still not for me but I would love to watch swim do some Gwent again!

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

GoldenPrice posted:

Have they done anything to fix the card advantage problem where 99% of the time both players go to round 3 with a full hand?

Almost every game of homecoming I've seen has had a round 2 drypass into a long round 3, so no. But people don't seem to mind it that much compared to old gwent's drypass and red/blue coin issues for whatever reason

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

frajaq posted:

question for veteran (rofl) gwent players: did the new game move away from the old deck-thinning madness? or are the good decks still the ones that swallow your deck in a few turns

Only Skellige is capable of thinning to 0 anymore and even that might get nerfed at some point. Much less thinning is available now

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
My biggest complain atm is that emotes and voice lines have next to no correlation in most cases. The ones that ask the other guy to hurry up are the only ones that seem to fit their category.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Just got past the dwarves in Thronebreaker and I'm spent. Really enjoyable so far, but I'm not up for another full map. May need to put this down for a month or two

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

They announced the first expansion, it's vampires as promised way back in beta.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

technically wasnt Thronebreaker the first xpac since it added a lot of new cards?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

It was only 20 cards or so. It's like TB was naxxramas and crimson curse is GvG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I wonder if they're adding new leaders so soon after TB? The new mechanics seem neat.