Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

flashy_mcflash posted:

Hey now, Hobo With A Shotgun would like a word

Also:

Isn't there another poster really similar to this? I swear I've seen this before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

It reminds me of the poster for Popcorn

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

ruddiger posted:

triggered memory of Magic Show Video circa 1993

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

ruddiger posted:

Is this good? I've recognized the box art for what feels like my whole life.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Franchescanado posted:

It's a little weird but has some really great ideas going on it (it's set during an all night horror movie marathon and the students running it come across a lost cursed/haunted film), and the soundtrack is very reggae-influenced since it was shot entirely in Jamaica. The trailer doesn't give too much away and gives a good sense of what the movie's like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0FbB0Y9NV8

It makes for a great double feature with Joe Dante's Matinee.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Popcorn also has a really great Scooby-Doo villain and all of the fake movies are really well-observed.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
https://twitter.com/Collider/status/1093290757409128448

:regd08:

Although I guess they already did before, so why not a third fourth time?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

This is a perfect representation of the relationship between capitalism and art.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Almost Blue posted:

That's disappointing. Green and McBride seemed to already have the next move in mind so... this could be real bad.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Almost Blue posted:

Way to gently caress up the revival of that series lol

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Franchescanado posted:

You must watch Popcorn because it is extremely fun and is also Scream six years before Scream but with lots of 80s makeup/effects so definitely check it out.

I'm very biased because I saw a screening of it where their projector was hosed up but they let us know ahead of time and gave us free beer to drink so everyone would wait 15 minutes for the screen to do black for a few seconds while the reels were changing to drink rapidly and it was awesome. :3:

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Can't wait for the Halloween expanded universe. They'll have a prequel involving Laurie's struggle in between the original film and the last one, where she's stalked by a Myers copycat a-la Friday the 13th 5. It'll be called "Strode". Then a Loomis spinoff prequel from the days where he tried to reach Michael before he finally gave up. Maybe they'll even bring Jamie Lloyd back where she teams up with Michael to see who can accumulate the highest body count before Nov 1, in an alternate timeline flick where 4 and 5 are canon but 6 is ignored, because gently caress it. So many avenues full of potential!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Origami Dali posted:

Can't wait for the Halloween expanded universe. Tom Atkins.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Count me in as long as this universes Tommy Doyle is also played by Paul Rudd.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Carpenter, Craven, Raimi, and the guy who won't stop making Bad Ben movies.

Edit: I appear to have replied without knowing there was another page. This was referring to American Horror Mt. Rushmore.

Edit edit: Many pages. The awful app said I only had 20 unread posts. It was super wrong.

Untrustable fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Feb 7, 2019

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

Tom Atkins isn't dead they could bring him back for the sequel.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Untrustable posted:

the guy who won't stop making Bad Ben movies.

Lol solid choice

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Untrustable posted:

Carpenter, Craven, Raimi, and the guy who won't stop making Bad Ben movies.

Edit: I appear to have replied without knowing there was another page. This was referring to American Horror Mt. Rushmore.

Edit edit: Many pages. The awful app said I only had 20 unread posts. It was super wrong.

He also makes web pages

http://www.badbenmovie.com/

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Mount Rushmore but it's just a huge engraving of that Captain Howdy .Net poster's script treatment for "The Exorcist: Synchronized."

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Speaking of Captain Howdy I just rewatched the Exorcist again last night (it's on Netflix currently) and realized that I should come up with some kind of time or occasion to watch it at least once a year.

For a 45 year old film, it's still so heavy and intense, likely to be shocking to someone watching for the first time and not fully familiar with all the stuff that happens.

I really admire more and more how gradually the situation builds, with the early stuff depicting family and household bliss with just a few odd occurrences/notes popping up.

I also appreciated how the doctors in the film come off as their own church complete with priests and shamans whose religion and rites were insufficient to effect an exorcism.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Zwabu posted:

I also appreciated how the doctors in the film come off as their own church complete with priests and shamans whose religion and rites were insufficient to effect an exorcism.

This is one of the coolest things about the movie and also one of the least talked about.

Speaking of the build-up, I think the strongest testament to it when I saw the limited theatrical release of The Version You've Never Seen ages ago. It was at a theater in a mall with a bunch of teenagers who were laughing/talking through it pretty regularly but that like gradually died down a little as the movie went on, and EVERYONE jumped when the phone rings towards the end. :3: By the time the actual exorcism was happening people were like actually into it into it.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Feb 7, 2019

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The MRI (or whatever it is) scene was always the part of the film that freaked me out the most, and usually the part that surprises and shocks new viewers I've watched with. Like I'm almost relieved when it gets out of the hospital and the priests take over.

I should definitely rewatch it. Its been awhile. Like so long that I don't think I've ever seen it off VHS.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

The MRI (or whatever it is) scene was always the part of the film that freaked me out the most, and usually the part that surprises and shocks new viewers I've watched with. Like I'm almost relieved when it gets out of the hospital and the priests take over.

I should definitely rewatch it. Its been awhile. Like so long that I don't think I've ever seen it off VHS.

It's on HULU also.

The film was made in the era before CT and MRI scans. The only tools available for brain imaging were things like plain x-rays and angiography, injecting contrast into the arteries leading into the brain to view X-rays of the blood vessels, as tumors will often have their own network of extra blood vessels that can appear on such studies.

The X-ray machine that's circling around her making the series of loud noises was probably to take a rapid series of such images, making a cine or movie of the blood flowing through the vessels. I like that it appears to be trying to exorcise her demon in its own high tech way.

Zwabu fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Feb 7, 2019

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Maybe it's my secular upbringing making it so I fundamentally just don't get the threat being implied, but the mother/daughter parts of The Exorcist are the only part of the movie that land for me at all.

Like her frustration and terror of not knowing what's wrong, her inability to rely on anyone for meaningful help, and so on is all incredibly affecting, but then the mom disappears from the script, Regan as a character basically sinks out of view and is entirely replaced by the demon, and you're just left with a chained-up child ostensibly menacing two adult male authority figures, and Catholic priests no less.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Feb 7, 2019

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I still can't believe how good The Terminator sounds and how well edited it is and how awesome it looks.

I wish it got the Star Wars treatment and got merchandised in the most granular ways possible. Like an action figure of Punk Woman Dismayed That The T-800 Did Not Pay The $10 Cover or Aging Hippie That Accuses T-800 of Having An Attitude Problem. Prequel novel trilogy of Paul Winfield and Lance Henriksen where all of the stories the latter doesn't get to finish recounting happen.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Instead of dogs they could have just put a scale by the entrance.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Maybe it's my secular upbringing making it so I fundamentally just don't get the threat being implied, but the mother/daughter parts of The Exorcist are the only part of the movie that land for me at all.

Like her frustration and terror of not knowing what's wrong, her inability to rely on anyone for meaningful help, and so on is all incredibly affecting, but then the mom disappears from the script, Regan as a character basically sinks out of view and is entirely replaced by the demon, and you're just left with a chained-up child ostensibly menacing two adult male authority figures, and Catholic priests no less.

You might like the book more because it's pretty wild. It won't land AS MUCH today but a major difference is that her actually being possessed isn't a known thing until way later in the book. And it's an early 70s story so part of Karras' investigation is like, the genuine consideration that she's "just" gifted with psychic abilities she and folks around her don't understand instead of her being possessed.

But secular or not, a big part of the movie too is how, using Catholicism as a microcosm, the world has emotionally "moved on" now that Vatican II has happened, as a stand in for knowledge being spread, it's the intellectual future, etc.. I was raised in a like my parents would probably think the Imperium of Man are lightweights level of Catholicness household but the ending is still bittersweet to me. Something all of its imitators miss out on is that its ending isn't "oh poo poo, Babylonian mythology is real," it's "literally every single possible approach to this is real and none of it really worked, like at all."

Karras' personal guilt about failing to take care of his own mother is what saves the day - the exorcim ritual itself didn't actually work - instead he implores the demon to take him instead.

He's the only character who takes on Regan's suffering for himself on an emotionally level while everyone else is a figure of judgement and control. I don't think it's a coincidence that the mother fades out of the script for a bit. Look at all the guys she interacts with throughout the movie, you'd need to chain me to a bed to keep me from killing folks too and I'm not even possessed.

Anyway not saying all of that means you should like the movie, just in general I think people get hung up on the specific religion and not everything else happening in horror fiction and the world at the time. It's a movie that can be read a ton of different ways and has a lot to offer, even if one just limits it to how it relates to Catholicism specifically let alone if you go outside of that.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Feb 7, 2019

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I appreciate you taking the time to lay it out like that, and I'll check out the book when I get a chance.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Presenting Basebf555's third place prize from the January Horror Essentials thread, a customized doodle of a horror character of his choosing...

THE JUICY ZOMBIE!

Credits to my good friend and talented artist LandsharkRAWR for the artwork.

For those of you who couldn't participate in the thread, you can still look through the list to see if any of the classics are something you've been meaning to watch! I think it's a pretty good list and the participants seemed to agree.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Feb 7, 2019

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I appreciate you taking the time to lay it out like that, and I'll check out the book when I get a chance.

Awesome! :hfive:

Speaking of The Exorcist, there were of course tons of Exorcist ripoffs I just feel like posting about so have fun folks:

We'll start with one released at the same time as it called Abby. This is a great, great movie, and when the Exorcist was first released in a smaller number of theaters, was making almost as much money as it! So Warner Bros. sued it out of existence and it was even a lost film for a little while. WB sued it out of existence, but then they made Exorcist II which is an unfocused, mega budget, white people version of Abby. Anyway Abby is really good, and all of the Yoruba mythos they talk about in it is real per William Marshall's (Blacula himself plays the Father Merrin character here!) insistence as IIRC he was super knowledgeable on the topic IIRC to the point of like being able to give academic lectures on it. And it's also very subversive and critical of western takes on monotheism and of how The Exorcist plays out on the surface with both the way its possessed victim behaves and also in how the exorcism at the end plays out. Like for a super low budget AIP movie that was intentionally made to beat The Exorcist to the punch it's amazing. I'm sure most folks reading this have seen it already, but if not go see it.

ALSO, on this is me posting so prepare for an Italian horror movie recommendation: THE VISITOR. Now this is a flick a lot of folks here may have seen already as it got an official US release again a couple of years ago, and IIRC it should be freely available to see on YouTube, Prime, pretty much anything. So if you've seen the movie there's no need to read this part of my post.

Anyway the movie is just, like, stunningly batshit, but not in the ways you think!

You'd think that it would be stunningly batshit because the plot is that Satan (pronounced/called Satine here) is a supreme evil alien warlord with an army of birds whose spirit is torn apart on earth but will one day reassemble in a chosen one who will give birth to the anti-christ and only a God-esque guy named, ahem, JERZY COLSOWICZ (see, like Jesus Christ, wow) and his partner who is this Italian dude with his hair/etc. done to make him look like White Jesus and their army of bald acolytes who transport down from their flying space greenhouse but on earth a secret society of rich and powerful folks already knows who the mother of the anti-christ is and has employed Lance Henrisken and manipulated things to make him vastly wealthy/etc. so that he can get the woman to fall in love with him and that way they will all control the anti-christ but then the woman already has a daughter who has crazy psychic powers who the Jesus/God stand-ins mess with in completely bizarre ways but also she's like Damien in The Omen and just sort of does stuff telekinetically that gets people killed and Lance Henriksen fails and then a Scully is abducted so aliens can take her baby scene happens but in an Italian movie in 1979 and then everyone just sort of peaces out.

But that's the normal stuff.

The stunningly batshit thing about the movie that makes it a must-watch is the script and the editing. There's a scene as an example where intergalactic savior played by John Huston JERZY COLSOWICZ is observing the psychic girl's day to day to learn more about the situation and then he feels a disturbance in the force that something's gonna happen maybe, or he's going to make something happen, it's literally impossible to discern which in the movie. Anyway the girl is ice skating with folks, and a couple of guys ice skating near her are goofing off with her, but then as they all lock hands she spins around. JERZY COLSOWICZ springs into action but he doesn't make it in time. She spins these two guys around so fast on the ice that they fly away and die on impact.

And okay that's fine, but it's all in the editing. Her doing this is intercut with him making his way to the skating rink. He does this by walking a bit down an up escalator, for like five minutes. There's shots where it cuts back to him and he's back at the top, unable to quite master descending to the lower level. The entire time this sequence is happening this song is playing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d48Q8J9VZIo

Later that night Lance Henriksen and the mother are going to go out to some event or whatever and are waiting for the babysitter to arrive. The doorbell rings and.....it's not a babysitter but instead it's intergalactic savior played by John Huston JERZY COLSOWICZ. Lance Henriksen is like, who are you? And you know what intergalactic savior played by John Huston JERZY COLSOWICZ says? He says he's the babysitter, sent by the agency. Henriksen is incredulous, saying typically the agency would send like a teenage girl to babysit and not, well, John Huston. But Huston's like, yes, I suppose that is unusual! The mother also notes that this is a bit odd.

They then just let him in and go on their way, no verification or anything, just leave your kid with this random old guy you've never seen before.

Their house is a loving AWESOME, it has a wall projector with an Atari hooked up to it and this evil/possessed/psychic/we never learn girl and intergalactic savior played by John Huston JERZY COLSOWICZ play Pong while the girl incredulously questions him about if he's here to kill her or not while he just sort of like babbles on randomly.

The entire movie is like this.

Remember Cannon films? They made Enter the Ninja and brought about THE 80S NINJA CRAZE which Godfrey Ho later perfected. They made a sequel to it starring Sho Kusugi called Revenge of the Ninja which is basically the absolute pinnacle definitive 80s ninja movie that everyone should watch it is insanely fun and awesome and goofy. So with that under their belt Cannon films was of course was going to make a third one. But what do you do when you've already made something as totally rad as Revenge of Ninja? You make a movie that's a mash-up and shamelessly rips off other movies, sure, but which one? How about you make a movie that is simultaneously Flashdance, Enter the Ninja, and The Exorcist.

Welcome to Ninja III: The Domination.

The main character works as a telephone technician so that she can hold machinery while wearing a blue jumpsuit JUST LIKE JENNIFER BEALS IN FLASHDANCE but also is an aerobics instructor so she can also wear dance warm-up attire just like in Flashdance too. And gets possessed so that there can be AN EXORCISM SCENE. And of course she's POSSESSED BY THE GHOST OF SHO KUSUGI. There's an "erotic" scene where she comes onto a guy she just took home by opening her shirt a little and then pouring a can of V8 over her throat. The exorcism scene has a part where like she just starts spinning around super fast like a tornado for no reason. Sho Kusugi possesses he to have her kill off the various dudes involved in his death/his last targets. One of these is a part where she pushes a guy out a window. A first floor window. Of his own house. He's talked up like he's this huge badass tough guy but he literally trips a few feet and INSTANTLY DIES.

This film is a gift.

There are more straightforward Exorcist ripoffs, but you know what? They suck because they're straightforward Exorcist ripoffs instead of going all out in some way or another, even if that way is crazy.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Feb 7, 2019

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD

Liberal Idiot posted:

I watched The Lift on Shudder last night, which is the story of how an elevator repairman's dedication to his job ends up destroying his marriage. There's a subplot about an elevator with a brain made of oozing microchips that wants to kill Dutch people.

Hey, if you want to see more of us Dutch people get slaughtered, watch Amsterdamned too.
Also by Dick Maas.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

Presenting Basebf555's third place prize from the January Horror Essentials thread, a customized doodle of a horror character of his choosing...

THE JUICY ZOMBIE!

For those of you who couldn't participate in the thread, you can still look through the list to see if any of the classics are something you've been meaning to watch! I think it's a pretty good list and the participants seemed to agree.

Just a quick reminder his name is in fact Juicy Zombie and every other name is wrong.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

Acht posted:

Hey, if you want to see more of us Dutch people get slaughtered, watch Amsterdamned too.
Also by Dick Maas.

I saw it for the October challenge and couldn't shake the feeling it was like a Dutch giallo.

Edit: Review from back then, in case anyone wants to know more; https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3868801&userid=110126#post488800098

BioTech fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Feb 7, 2019

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

And it's an early 70s story so part of Karras' investigation is like, the genuine consideration that she's "just" gifted with psychic abilities she and folks around her don't understand instead of her being possessed.

I always love this stuff. Psychics were perfectly mundane, logical, and no big deal there for a few years.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

STAC Goat posted:

Fun fact: the x-ray technician in that scene is a real life serial killer!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Coffee And Pie posted:

Fun fact: the x-ray technician in that scene is a real life serial killer!

He wasn't ever convicted of the serial killings , he just claimed to have done them. Creepiest thing though is he's actually out of prison and in New York state somewhere.

https://the-line-up.com/paul-bateson

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Lurdiak posted:

THE JUICY ZOMBIE!

Yesssssssssssss

Untrustable posted:

Just a quick reminder his name is in fact Juicy Zombie and every other name is wrong.

To me, you are Trustable.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Hollismason posted:

He wasn't ever convicted of the serial killings , he just claimed to have done them. Creepiest thing though is he's actually out of prison and in New York state somewhere.

https://the-line-up.com/paul-bateson

Unfortunately he wasn't available to cameo in Exorcist III.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Acht posted:

Also by Dick Maas.

I harbor no ill will toward the Dutch, but this is already on my watch list because I've heard good things.

On the subject of Ninja III: The Domination, one of my favorite things about that movie is that the Japanese exorcist is played by James Hong, Lo Pan from Big Trouble in Little China, because it was the 80s and close enough, right? James Hong was born in Minneapolis, by the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
So what's the word on our spook-a-doodle shirts? I mean, I'll wait as long as it takes because it'll be worth it, but I was just curious.