Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Last Chance posted:

plus it feels good and is perfectly legal

it's such an adrenaline rush

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I somewhat doubt that this is a correct, good-faith reading of appropriate federal laws and regulations on the subject?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Schadenboner posted:

I somewhat doubt that this is a correct, good-faith reading of appropriate federal laws and regulations on the subject?

throwing your battery into the ocean is not only good, it’s cool as well

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
what kind of monster doesn't love the ocean

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

But it also rarely ends up happening, and I've had quite a few friends bring over cars that are unmodified
and that's how you ended up with people desperately scrambling to hide their R34 Skylines when the news broke that they had all been illegally imported.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
:krakken:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

goons.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Schadenboner posted:

it's great fun and perfectly legal.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

infernal machines posted:

guess what incredibly illegal thing tesla is responsible for now

https://twitter.com/Drock002/status/1092907283808305152

https://www.nhtsa.gov/equipment/odometer-fraud

https://www.justice.gov/civil/case/federal-odometer-tampering-statutes

only a federal crime.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I still don’t even get why Plang Muskogee thinks the wolf eating a watermelon is a horse eating broccoli?

Is this the part where I say “These loss edits are getting abstract!”?

:ohdear:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

Schadenboner posted:

I still don’t even get why Plang Muskogee thinks the wolf eating a watermelon is a horse eating broccoli?

Have you ever heard a four-year-old tell a joke?

It’s like that.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we have sealed ourselves away behind our money, growing inward, generating a seamless universe of self.
"absurdist" "humour" from a person without a sense of humour

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Here's a guy who regularly details 40 year old Ferraris calling teslas paint "finicky"

"as you can see here the tesla paint is pretty scratched and swirled... Now this is pretty normal, I don't know why, but that's not the point of the video"

"from a detailer perspective, when I hear a tesla is coming in im going - oh my gosh, this is crazy -"
This is a new car FFS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=im7wlqO1XQQ

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Schadenboner posted:

it's basically a way less funny version of these:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

graph posted:

no one mentioned the god-saviour freed all the tesla patents ?

a good rundown of why the "free" patents are actually an incredibly god awful deal

highlights for those that don't want to click:

"First, the Pledge states that those acting in good faith will not assert any patent or intellectual property right against Tesla. Note that a company using Tesla's patented technology is not only giving up the ability to bring an action against Tesla for patent infringement, but any form of intellectual property infringement. This includes trademark and copyright infringement, as well as trade secret misappropriation. Thus, for example, if Tesla copied a company's source code line-for-line, that company would be required to forfeit the protection provided by the Pledge in order to enforce its rights."

"Of potentially even greater consequence, the Pledge states that a company is not acting in good faith if it has asserted "any patent right against a third party for its use of technologies relating to electric vehicles or related equipment." Therefore, before using technology from a Tesla patent, a company must determine whether it is willing to agree not to assert its own patents against any company operating in the electric vehicle market anywhere in the world. "

"Finally, the third restriction withholds the protection of the Pledge from those who market or sell a "knock-off" or provide material assistance to another party doing so. The Pledge does not provide a definition of "knock-off product," but it does provide one example: "a product created by imitating or copying the design or appearance of a Tesla product or which suggests an association with or endorsement by Tesla." "

basically Tesla is demanding that companies void out the value of everything in their patent portfolio not directly related to internal combustion engines (since 'related equipment' could be very broadly interpreted given how integrated a car's electrical system can be), avoid making anything that Elon's coked out brain would consider a copy of anything Tesla, and allow Tesla free reign to copy literally anything they want from them by any means including corporate espionage and theft of trade secrets. like under that "agreement" Tesla could literally carbon copy a Chevy Bolt called the Tesla Bolt but if Chevy put too large of a screen in the center of their Bolt2 they would open themselves up to Tesla suing them.

in exchange Chevy would get the option of paying to use the supercharger network and access to patents which all assume the car is using several thousand vape-batteries.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Shifty Pony posted:

a good rundown of why the "free" patents are actually an incredibly god awful deal

basically Tesla is demanding that companies void out the value of everything in their patent portfolio not directly related to internal combustion engines (since 'related equipment' could be very broadly interpreted given how integrated a car's electrical system can be), avoid making anything that Elon's coked out brain would consider a copy of anything Tesla, and allow Tesla free reign to copy literally anything they want from them by any means including corporate espionage and theft of trade secrets. like under that "agreement" Tesla could literally carbon copy a Chevy Bolt called the Tesla Bolt but if Chevy put too large of a screen in the center of their Bolt2 they would open themselves up to Tesla suing them.

in exchange Chevy would get the option of paying to use the supercharger network and access to patents which all assume the car is using several thousand vape-batteries.

hm thats a 2018 post about the patent release from 2014

i guess he removed the pledge a couple days ago? idk

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

graph posted:

hm thats a 2018 post about the patent release from 2014

i guess he removed the pledge a couple days ago? idk

afaik it is the same deal, just Elon felt the need to wave it around a bit more recently.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Shifty Pony posted:

corporate espionage and theft of trade secrets

um actually it's called "competitive intelligence" now, especially when performed on behalf of billionaires people of wealth

Angela Merkle Tree
Jan 4, 2012

the definition of open: "mkdir android ; cd android ; repo init -u git://android.git.kernel.org/platform/manifest.git ; repo sync ; make"
College Slice
lmao, one of the replies in that odometer thread

https://twitter.com/TeeKay_EV/status/1093038877256941568

what's to bet there's no wear-levelling and they write to it frequently

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Angela Merkle Tree posted:

Oh that's super neato. I, an idiot hell fucker, made a digital dashboard for my motorcycle and one of the first things I did was figure out how to handle the odometer's constant writes.

(I used a two dollar EERAM chip that should last roughly 1,800,000 miles)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we have sealed ourselves away behind our money, growing inward, generating a seamless universe of self.

Angela Merkle Tree posted:

how in the gently caress?

just what?

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Feb 7, 2019

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

infernal machines posted:

how in the gently caress?

just what?

I mean, I don’t think riding a motorcycle is a good idea either but your shock does seem a bit staged?

:shrug:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

Oh that's super neato. I, an idiot hell fucker, made a digital dashboard for my motorcycle and one of the first things I did was figure out how to handle the odometer's constant writes.

(I used a two dollar EERAM chip that should last roughly 1,800,000 miles)

I remember that post.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

im quite sure there is a ton of cheating on this stuff though

CommieGIR posted:

But it also rarely ends up happening, and I've had quite a few friends bring over cars that are unmodified

ehhhhhhh

it's really annoying to import a car without the modifications. it can be done but generally people only do it for models that cannot be modified, because it's so loving frustrating

the way you manage it is that you go to a state with really lax registration standards, buy a junker, cut the vin plate out, and then bribe a cop to certify that your oh, say, 1974 Mercedes-Benz Unimog is actually a heavily modified 1977 Buick Riviera.

then you can register it in that hillbilly piece of poo poo state. might be hard to insure, but at least you can get a plate

--

if you are importing a european car that you bought to actually drive, you would have to be pants on head stupid to take this path. you gotta find someone willing to transport a car with the wrong paperwork, deal with the nightmare at customs, and then go through the back door to register the drat thing

a lot easier to just, well, buy a car that can actually be driven in the u.s., and pay the dealer to fuckin nhtsa-it-up

for a unimog, you can't do that poo poo, so crazy rear end unimog enthusiasts will do weird stuff. for a loving volkswagen, just take the easy path.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
source: i used to live in one of them hillbilly state with lax registration requirements, and i used to work with a guy who did a lot of grey market unimog poo poo because he was insane

i was once passed by a go-kart at over 90 mph

the go-kart had valid plates

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

if you're not planning on driving it more than 2500 miles a year, you can always import it under the show and display law

aka the "bill gates lobbied the government to let him drive a 959" law

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

https://youtu.be/SRieMzp779A?t=7

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Off topic question:

I'm working on a deactivation for the EGR on one of my cars and could use some electronic advice.

The EGR has 2 components, a DC controlled valve (0-14v) and a temperature sensor (0-5v) to detect flow.

The EGR path is physically blocked.

If the system works, it detects flow by change of temperature.

When the valve is actuated, the voltage goes up. The system expects a raise in temperature on the sensor which would pull its voltage low.

If both voltages functioned proportional I could just come up with a voltage divider to simulate a flow signal, problem is that the temp sensor goes low voltage when the temperature goes up.

The question is, is there an easy solution to tie a falling output voltage for a rising input voltage or should I just throw an arduino at it?

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Feb 7, 2019

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Just chuck a transistor in there? Big resistor pulling the output high, transistor pulls it low when you trigger the base leg. Hook the base up to the input with a voltage divider to get the response curve you want.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

by the power of op amp

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

@ Elon on Twitter, he with his multiple degrees will surely know.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Potato Salad posted:

by the power of op amp

yeah that situation is pretty much a prime op amp application. tie the inverting input to an adjustable voltage divider across your valve voltage, put a big capacitor across it to ground to form a low pass filter if you want a gradual ramp.

or better yet don't disable key parts of your car's emissions system you dope.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

ehhhhhhh

it's really annoying to import a car without the modifications. it can be done but generally people only do it for models that cannot be modified, because it's so loving frustrating

the way you manage it is that you go to a state with really lax registration standards, buy a junker, cut the vin plate out, and then bribe a cop to certify that your oh, say, 1974 Mercedes-Benz Unimog is actually a heavily modified 1977 Buick Riviera.

then you can register it in that hillbilly piece of poo poo state. might be hard to insure, but at least you can get a plate

--

if you are importing a european car that you bought to actually drive, you would have to be pants on head stupid to take this path. you gotta find someone willing to transport a car with the wrong paperwork, deal with the nightmare at customs, and then go through the back door to register the drat thing

a lot easier to just, well, buy a car that can actually be driven in the u.s., and pay the dealer to fuckin nhtsa-it-up

for a unimog, you can't do that poo poo, so crazy rear end unimog enthusiasts will do weird stuff. for a loving volkswagen, just take the easy path.
you've been able to legally import 1974 unimogs unmodified since 1999.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Potato Salad posted:

by the power of op amp

Yeah I have some LM324Ns laying around here, was just wondering how I do the anti proportional behavior with them. Been a few years since I did basic electronics.

Jabor posted:

Just chuck a transistor in there? Big resistor pulling the output high, transistor pulls it low when you trigger the base leg. Hook the base up to the input with a voltage divider to get the response curve you want.

Perfect, thanks.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Shifty Pony posted:

yeah that situation is pretty much a prime op amp application. tie the inverting input to an adjustable voltage divider across your valve voltage, put a big capacitor across it to ground to form a low pass filter if you want a gradual ramp.

or better yet don't disable key parts of your car's emissions system you dope.

Disabing the EGR reduces emissions in this case. It's a quite pointless system for MPI engines that allows insignificant gains in efficiency by de throttling the engine but results in extreme sud and grime buildup. This car has issues with the EGR dirt jamming the throttle valve and some very nasty torque curve dips in the transition region.

E: thanks for the OP amp refresh, I'll breadboard something out!

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Feb 7, 2019

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

do you care about the signal actually being linearly proportional to the input or do you just want a hard, almost binary "input go up -> output goes to 0"? because a transistor will probably get you the latter. the op-amp would let you control it better if that matters

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

if you need more advice or just wanna talk about your thing, head on over to the learning electronics megathread, it's mega-helpful:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2734977

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Sagebrush posted:

if you're not planning on driving it more than 2500 miles a year, you can always import it under the show and display law

aka the "bill gates lobbied the government to let him drive a 959" law
Show and Display is only for vehicles of "historical or technological significance".

Unless your vehicle is something that might be featured on "Jay Leno's Garage" it probably doesn't qualify. Even if it is at that level it still might not (only two specific variants of the R34 Skyline GT-R are allowed for example).

Endless Mike posted:

you've been able to legally import 1974 unimogs unmodified since 1999.
Yeah, anything older than 25 years by model year is fair game, so at this point you can import 1994 models of whatever you want and just drive them freely.

For anything else, even for a vehicle that is sold in the US market there are differences between US/Canada and Rest-of-World models due to incompatible regulations. Generally these will be in the bumpers, lighting, and reflectors, but in some models it may go as far as crash structures. You can probably get away with importing such a vehicle without making those changes, but if it's under the 25 year limit it's technically not legal.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

If you use an Arduino, though, you can include cell networking and have it upload your heresies to the European Commission automatically

op amps are terribly mundane in today's connected surveillance world