Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Same for imgurs .

Every old thread is a sea of

You're an 07, you should remember the Great WaffleImages Collapse. I think you're too new to really remember when poo poo got wild with Imageshack, but that's another reason old threads have basically no pictures anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Baron von Eevl posted:

You're an 07, you should remember the Great WaffleImages Collapse. I think you're too new to really remember when poo poo got wild with Imageshack, but that's another reason old threads have basically no pictures anymore.

that's a weird way to spell imagetruck

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

How bad was the posting that they wound up banning the guy hosting an entire young internet of images for free? I don't know if I ever looked into it more than "all the images are gone, everyone start using flickr."

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

that's a weird way to spell imagebarn

Why did it get filtered like that? Just the easiest way to break all the links?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Solice Kirsk posted:

How bad was the posting that they wound up banning the guy hosting an entire young internet of images for free? I don't know if I ever looked into it more than "all the images are gone, everyone start using flickr."

As with most things it wasn't that big a deal but it was massively over reacted to

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I don't think imageshack guy was a goon, but eventually they got mad at how much bandwidth we used and required all posted images also include boilerplate links back to the host. I think people weren't doing that so they got pissed and maybe caused all sa images to display as shock images? I'm iffy on the last part.

Waffleimages guy was def a goon, and I forget if it collapsed because it was expensive or if there was drama.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Why did it get filtered like that? Just the easiest way to break all the links?
Yup, exactly

Solice Kirsk posted:

So from what I remember, it started when imageshack made an update to the auto-generated bbcode. The update added url tags that linked back to imageshack in addition to the regular img tags. Some people were annoyed with it at first, but when it started building steam the guy started asking people not to alter the links to take out the imageshack url, then when that didn't happen he claimed that the "url rewriting" was recognized by an automatic system that banned the somethingawful domain as a result. This was of course not true and he was just trying to make a point, and it was all a bunch of drama over what in retrospect was extremely loving stupid, but then radium decided to break imageshack links by creating a word filter that changed imageshack to image%noun%

e: imageshack guy was definitely a goon

e2: lol, if you read the SAclopedia entries you can follow the rise, fall, and autopsy of imagebarn: https://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=608

Son of Thunderbeast has a new favorite as of 05:29 on Feb 6, 2019

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

tactlessbastard posted:

When I left the zoo just now there was a jackass with a big goodamned dually with one of those loving thin blue line punisher logos on it, parked across three spots and I've been grinding my teeth ever since

It's not easy to park with hooves.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Former DILF posted:

This is kinda offtopic but I don’t know anywhere else to post this

I once hooked up with a lady only because she looked like Carl II of spain lmao

She shot up with meth before and I busted so quick

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

sharknwater10 posted:

hey panzer you told me to post here so here iam (by the way im thepimpinshark)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Well, clearly in need of new genetic material...

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

If that were to happen today everyone would be nice to them :unsmith:

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

You are a nerd posted:

Okay retard, here's the breakdown: These forums are not like other forums that let you get away with posting all sorts of useless poo poo. It is not okay for you to post "hi what's up" threads. If you value the ten dollars you spent on your account, you'll close this one and refrain from posting anything for a few weeks. Of course, chances are, by the time you read this you won't have any other choice.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

e2: lol, if you read the SAclopedia entries you can follow the rise, fall, and autopsy of imagebarn: https://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=608

quote:

WaffleImages is probably the best solution for image hosting for SA these days. [...] Can't be used for non-SA forums, but it's the best way to make sure your images and things don't suddenly stop working a few months down the track.
:laugh:

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

lol ikr

Also I was curious if Macbeth still posted on these forums. Looks like his last post was 5/20/06, in the very thread where the imageshack dramabomb blew up. Looks like imageshack is still doing well though, which is cool :) Good for him

Vulgar
Aug 17, 2003

I am the man of la Mancha… my dream is impossible!

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

"No, you don't get it. She's a 10,000 year old demon spirit" he said, eyes watering as his rectal muscles gave way to the girth of his Bad Dragon my little pony horse dildo. "Once I move to Japan I'll no longer be misunderstood."

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
What is it with boring dumbasses and moving to Japan? Is it just the anime?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Outrail posted:

Hey it goes both ways :colbert:

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

He’d honestly fit in pretty well in Dallas

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Outrail posted:

It's a mysterious 'other' place full of wonder and source of what they find fun, they can project their imagination on it and this usually involves a place they don't need to change how to live their life to be a better person.

Orientalism with Japan being the convenient target. Apparently Japan had a similar thing in the past with Paris where people saved up for ages to visit and were shocked that it was mostly just another city where people worked, slept and shat. Reportedly some had breakdowns about it. Grass is greener somewhere etc.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Fresh from the leper's colony:

mod sassinator posted:

Like I mentioned, those alternatives are far worse. Soy-based stuff that causes inflammation and maybe even worse effects from estrogen. Beans? You're not going to get the same amount of protein and you're going to get a ton of unnecessary carbs.

Don't kid yourself too, banana and peanut butter for breakfast is just as bad for a kid as a poptart. It's all insulin-spiking sugar-loaded poo poo. Scrambled eggs are much, much healthier (and cheaper).

edit: And seriously we're cheering on someone telling kids to eat peanuts?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Corollary:

mod sassinator posted:

98%+ of plants on earth will kill you. It's only the ones we've engineered over hundreds and thousands of years to not produce as much toxins that we can safely eat. Green does not equal healthy.

Contextual corollary:

Push El Burrito posted:

One time I ate a green bean and my dick fell off.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

NLJP posted:

It's a mysterious 'other' place full of wonder and source of what they find fun, they can project their imagination on it and this usually involves a place they don't need to change how to live their life to be a better person.

Orientalism with Japan being the convenient target. Apparently Japan had a similar thing in the past with Paris where people saved up for ages to visit and were shocked that it was mostly just another city where people worked, slept and shat. Reportedly some had breakdowns about it. Grass is greener somewhere etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paris_syndrome

quote:

Paris syndrome (French: Syndrome de Paris, Japanese: パリ症候群, Pari shōkōgun) is a condition exhibited by some individuals when visiting or going on vacation to Paris, as a result of extreme shock derived from their discovery that Paris is not what they had expected it to be. The syndrome is characterized by a number of psychiatric symptoms such as acute delusional states, hallucinations, feelings of persecution (perceptions of being a victim of prejudice, aggression, or hostility from others), derealization, depersonalization, anxiety, and also psychosomatic manifestations such as dizziness, tachycardia, sweating, and others, such as vomiting.[1] Similar syndromes include Jerusalem syndrome and Stendhal syndrome. The condition is commonly viewed as a severe form of culture shock. It is particularly noted among Japanese travelers.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

EorayMel posted:

Corollary:

Contextual corollary:

I never thought we'd actually see a successor to the Bucket-o'-lard dieters :eyepop:.

Over-under on him saying he's on statins or high blood pressure meds within a few years?

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

gently caress I forgot this one so consider it a bonus to the above:

Jerob posted:

It also makes the development of agriculture seem completely illogical. "Don't worry Jim, one day this entire field of poison will adapt into delicious kale. Until then, let's go get that giant set of ribs from the drive thru and have it tip over our stone car. You know I love when they do that"

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Sex Hobbit posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paris_syndrome

quote:

(perceptions of being a victim of prejudice, aggression, or hostility from others)
This is just from being an obvious foreigner, nothing to do with Paris syndrome

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

apparently japanese media portrays paris as this stunningly beautiful city where there is a perfect tiny cafe on every corner and all the trees are perfectly manicured and all the women are white and impeccably dressed in haute couture and walk tiny dogs and all the men are white and gentlemen and ride scooters and everything is clean and lovely and polite and perfect.

so when japanese women go to paris and discover that it's a sprawling crowded city where there is a man peeing on every corner and all the trees are surrounded by dog poo poo and the women are fat american tourists wearing mickey mouse shirts and the men are pushy arabs driving sports cars and everything is dirty and unpleasant and rude and awful, they have a mental breakdown.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Junpei Hyde posted:

I can't believe the hero of earth mr satan actually killed vic mignona live on ppv

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

This dude kicked much rear end in Jagged Alliance.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

EorayMel posted:

Corollary:

Contextual corollary:

lol at banana and peanut butter being as bad as a pop tart

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
A goon who is absolutely fuckin adamant that no, it's everyone else who is wrong. Eat a green, my dude.

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich

Malachite_Dragon posted:

A moon who is absolutely fuckin adamant that yo, it's everyone else who is strong. Eat a queen, my rude.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Sagebrush posted:

apparently japanese media portrays paris as this stunningly beautiful city where there is a perfect tiny cafe on every corner and all the trees are perfectly manicured and all the women are white and impeccably dressed in haute couture and walk tiny dogs and all the men are white and gentlemen and ride scooters and everything is clean and lovely and polite and perfect.
Huh? So Japanese media is just like most western media?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

free hubcaps posted:

brave sir Lancelot, quickly rushing to his incapacitated boyfriend’s aid, heroically fainting next to him and decisively braining himself on a rock in the process

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

frankenfreak posted:

Huh? So Japanese media is just like most western media?

US media balances out the "City Of Love" cliches with the dumb "cheese eating surrender monkeys" cliches and the English have been ragging on the French for centuries, I guess in Japan they missed out on all that.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Guess the thread.

mormonpartyboat posted:

like one of the actual neat things about the history of actual occultism is the way it's kind of a feedback loop of looking at natural things, pulling out common threads, then applying those commonalities forward onto other, similar things. then society picks up on the commonalities without really understanding the relationships, and just kind of buckets them as samey. occultism roots itself in the (very christian) idea that man was made in the image of god, and takes it literally - it says that the only difference between man and god is knowledge, so the attainment of that specific knowledge grants mastery over the universe. to use that knowledge, you assert it into existence through sheer willpower. things like the assertion are magnifiers for an effort of will, so you surround yourself with things that emphasize the effect you want to produce to give yourself a better chance of producing it. likewise, inverting things produces the opposite effect - it negates, rather than creates. importantly, Traditional Occultism never asserted that a symbol's connectivity was inherently True, but that there was a vast and powerful pattern, which manifested itself in those symbols, and that patterns among those manifestations were hints to where the real power was

for example, the planet mars (the fifth solar body, after the sun, moon, mercury, and venus) is associated with the god mars, the god of war. iron is tied to mars as it was a metal of war, and so too the colors of rust and blood and the warpaint of early romans tie red to mars. blood itself is a very powerful magical symbol, tied to vitality and vigor and power and youth and strength. and all of these reflect back into themselves. so if you want to cast a spell to commit harm, under ye olde occultism you look to mars and its bevy of symbols. you hang red curtains and do rituals of blood, you make an iron athame and hold an iron bowl and paint yourself, and you draw a 5 pointed star, a pentacle. but you invert that star, to get the commission of harm. you allow violent things to flow through you and in so doing bring the thought into being. all that symbolism was used by and informed satanists like lavey to build the aesthetics of pop satanism that we recognize today, like the satanic pentagram and bla bla

a lot of the things we just think of as Neat And Kinda Weird have storied roots of people drawing connections across really fundamental things that their cultures never really understood. that's the cool part of occultism, how the numerology and tarot and traditions and roman gods and biblical passages are made to seem connected. but cultist sim doesn't really try to produce any of that. it almost takes an Unknowable Things tack like its lovecraftian, but it never really accepts that its canon is fundamentally alien and unknowable - there's plenty of fragments and connected references to try to piece together, and your ultimate goal is ascension through accumulation of knowledge. but there is no accumulation of knowledge of cthulu, your brain is simply unable to comprehend it and fragments if you try. on the other hand, it also doesn't really take a Traditional Occultism tack because the fragments and references and books just select one or two key themes for each symbol (locks are secrets, lamp is knowledge) and try to draw a wavering line around each of them to assert what they are. you don't use your knowledge to discover new points from which you can discover more knowledge, you don't suddenly comprehend that secrets and knowledge are the reconciling opposites required within the philosopher's stone, their dual natures expressed through the elements sulfur and mercury, the number 2 within the tree of life being hokmah and encompassing the life-giving waters of god, and, and, and, down the spiral. instead, you just learn that heart is vitality and then level your heart up until you have enough heart to steal a painting or whatever, learning nothing new in the process

it gets rid of the inherent sense of discovery in a game narratively focused on the act of discovery

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I guessed which game it was about, which reminds me I need to play that again to get the new ending they added

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Goddamn, was not expecting to get milkshake duck'd in the thread, especially about an anime.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Goddamn, was not expecting to get milkshake duck'd in the thread, especially about an anime.

It's been an open secret in the anime community for years that Vic Mignonga is a sexual harasser and to stay the gently caress away from him if you can, and Anime News Network posted a very in-depth article on all the bullshit he's done over the years that's dragged it all into the spotlight. He's been summarily dropped by every convention as a guest, and fired from his ongoing voice roles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Paris Syndrome hits Japanese tourists so hard their embassy staffs a 24/7 suicide hotline.