Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

bartolimu posted:

My grandma's "goulash" was similar to this, though even more Midwesternified. Drop the garlic, we didn't have any allium stronger than onions. Use decade-old McCormick chili powder instead of paprika - and only a teaspoonful in the pot, that makes it "plenty hot" for Aunt Bernice. No thyme/oregano/rosemary, and sure as heck no soy sauce; no Worcestershire either, that stuff only goes in BBQ sauce (which is approximately equal amounts of ketchup and brown sugar with a few dashes of Worcestershire). Add a can or two of kidney beans, and use plain old elbow macaroni, God's Own Pasta.
I'm really depressed right now. Like, really depressed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Cook some goulash, it may cheer you up.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Mr. Wiggles posted:

That is what we called "goop" growing up.

We call it Candy Sauce, because mom learned it from the cook at 4H camp, and her name was Candy.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
One pot easy as hell meals totally have a nice place in the family kitchen. I don't have time to spend every night making a new dish. I've got kids, eat your leftovers. S.O.S. chili and goulash are perfect examples.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I've never made "goulash", but I definitely make "American Chop Suey" about once a month. It reheats and keeps well, so I make up a huge pan and eat it over a week or so.

When I'm feeling lazy, I make it with jarred sauce. Sue me.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Wiggles, and the rest of you Vegas crew, and anyone else who ever comes to Vegas, I have super exciting news.

Bank Atcharawan, former sommelier at Lotus of Siam, past owner of the now-closed Chada Thai and Wine and best-in-town Chada Street, has a new restaurant open. It's called Lamaii, it's three doors to the right of Sparrow + Wolf, and its soft open started on the 28th. I went last night, and y'all should go ASAP, as the following gushing review will show.

The space is fancier than Chada Street and less minimalist than Chada Thai was. It's a narrow room with a lot of columns, but mirrors and smart lighting choices make it seem open and inviting.

The biggest draw will likely be their small plates. That's where my dining companion and I mostly concentrated, because there are some old favorites and a lot of new things to try.

First up, Chor Muang:

It looks like four little pressed-sugar candies. In reality, it's a delicate dumpling filled with slightly-spicy, savory pork. They're almost like tiny soup dumplings, with a significant amount of sauce inside. And that's the best use of edible flowers I've seen.

Next, Hed Pad Sarm Yarng:

Shimeji, shitake, and king oyster mushrooms in a light but intensely-umami sauce. This was the showstopper dish of the night, and will probably be a must-order every time I go. The three mushrooms have distinct flavors and textures, but they're all meaty and delicious. Highly recommended!

Then, Kai Nok Grata Look Kuei:

Quail eggs in tamarind sauce, topped with fried shallots and little slivers of bird chile. Brunchy as gently caress, sweet/sour with the occasional pop of heat to keep things interesting. I think I'd like the dish better if the eggs were fried individually instead of in one mass, but as one of the least expensive things on the menu I'm willing to forgive a less technical presentation. Because quail eggs, gently caress yeah.

After the new stuff, we checked out a couple of the returning favorites. Naam Kao Todd, crispy rice with sour sausage and ginger/lime sauce:

I had high hopes for this, an old Lotus favorite that was perfected at Chada Street. Unfortunately it fell short of my expectations. It's still a great dish - spicy, sour, crispy, with big chunks of sour Issan sausage - but for me the clumpy style of rice isn't as good as the individually-crisped grains they managed at Chada.

And finally, Kao Pad Mun Poo, the Crab Fat Fried Rice, crown jewel of Chada Street:

This was copied verbatim from the Chada cookbook, with only the lime garnish distinguishing it from the original. And it's just as loving good. This is a 2000 calorie dish I could eat five of. It's utter perfection, like every grain of rice has been individually steeped in crab, chunks of lump crab meat running through the whole dish.

We also had the Sua Rong Hai, grilled ribeye steak with "North Eastern style dipping sauce." No photo of that. It was a medium-well steak that managed to be edible due to its savory/sweet marinade and the delightful, chile-rich dipping sauce. I liked it, but there are a lot of things I need to try before ordering it again.

To summarize, Lamaii opening is the most exciting food news in Vegas in a long time. Get your asses there and eat it all. To entice you, here's the full soft open menu (Trigger Warning: horrific font and formatting choices):

Hours for soft open are 5pm-10pm, from what I remember. They were about 2/3 full the whole time we were there. My only major complaint is one common to soft opens: service pacing problems. We waited a half hour to order anything besides drinks, and it took them an hour to check on us after we'd finished our first round of food. But that kind of thing happens when staffing isn't complete - I expect service to be much more on point once they're officially open. Don't wait that long, though. They're worth an early visit.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone ever scienced the notion that certain things shouldn't be salted early in cooking because the salt draws moisture out? Thinking specifically of eggs and mushrooms, but was reminded when looking at a recipe for for a faux fried rice cauliflower dish. On one hand, it makes sense to me, but on the other I'm curious as to how quickly the salt could do its thing and draw out enough moisture to change the cooking parameters. (And with eggs maybe its not a water thing but some other reason I've been told not to salt too early when scrambling).

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
https://www.seriouseats.com/2014/04/does-pre-salting-eggs-make-them-tough.html

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Has anyone ever scienced the notion that certain things shouldn't be salted early in cooking because the salt draws moisture out? Thinking specifically of eggs and mushrooms, but was reminded when looking at a recipe for for a faux fried rice cauliflower dish. On one hand, it makes sense to me, but on the other I'm curious as to how quickly the salt could do its thing and draw out enough moisture to change the cooking parameters. (And with eggs maybe its not a water thing but some other reason I've been told not to salt too early when scrambling).

It always makes me laugh because on one side there's the "do never salt eggs early" and on the other side there's the "always salt your eggs before scrambling" people.

Salting early apparently makes the eggs tougher. I've never noticed that. Some of the steamed egg dishes I've had were super soft and fluffy despite being heavily salted when beaten.

Also, I always salt my shrooms right away. The faster the water releases the faster you get em to brown. It feels like it draws the water out faster to me, idk if it really does.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Casu Marzu posted:

Also, I always salt my shrooms right away. The faster the water releases the faster you get em to brown. It feels like it draws the water out faster to me, idk if it really does.

That's interesting. I do the opposite, because I want the heat to be sufficient to vaporize the water as it's released and sear/brown the shrooms, as opposed to steaming them in their own moisture.

Would love to see a controlled test on the subject once and for all though, to say which way is better or if it even makes a difference.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I feel like salting eggs before should be absolutely fine, since how "tough" they get really depends on how much you cook them. You could salt some scrambled eggs well before and if you cook them Gordon Ramsay-style, I imagine they'd be just as creamy as usual.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

put a splash of shaoxing wine in the eggs :twisted:

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

That's interesting. I do the opposite, because I want the heat to be sufficient to vaporize the water as it's released and sear/brown the shrooms, as opposed to steaming them in their own moisture.

Would love to see a controlled test on the subject once and for all though, to say which way is better or if it even makes a difference.

While not really answering your question I think this Cooking Issues article was pretty interesting in regfards to cooking mushrooms.

http://www.cookingissues.com/2009/12/21/crowded-wet-mushrooms-a-beautiful-thing/index.html

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

In my head, it makes sense to get that water out right away because as it simmering in their liquid it gives a chance for the mushrooms to soften and then brown, instead of potentially burning and still having raw shroom. Also, I feel like while they're steaming it's basically releasing mushroom stock and creating flavor, where if it just vaporizes, it doesn't have a chance to anything.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

bartolimu posted:

Wiggles, and the rest of you Vegas crew, and anyone else who ever comes to Vegas, I have super exciting news.

Bank Atcharawan, former sommelier at Lotus of Siam, past owner of the now-closed Chada Thai and Wine and best-in-town Chada Street, has a new restaurant open. It's called Lamaii, it's three doors to the right of Sparrow + Wolf, and its soft open started on the 28th. I went last night, and y'all should go ASAP, as the following gushing review will show.

The space is fancier than Chada Street and less minimalist than Chada Thai was. It's a narrow room with a lot of columns, but mirrors and smart lighting choices make it seem open and inviting.

The biggest draw will likely be their small plates. That's where my dining companion and I mostly concentrated, because there are some old favorites and a lot of new things to try.

First up, Chor Muang:

It looks like four little pressed-sugar candies. In reality, it's a delicate dumpling filled with slightly-spicy, savory pork. They're almost like tiny soup dumplings, with a significant amount of sauce inside. And that's the best use of edible flowers I've seen.

Next, Hed Pad Sarm Yarng:

Shimeji, shitake, and king oyster mushrooms in a light but intensely-umami sauce. This was the showstopper dish of the night, and will probably be a must-order every time I go. The three mushrooms have distinct flavors and textures, but they're all meaty and delicious. Highly recommended!

Then, Kai Nok Grata Look Kuei:

Quail eggs in tamarind sauce, topped with fried shallots and little slivers of bird chile. Brunchy as gently caress, sweet/sour with the occasional pop of heat to keep things interesting. I think I'd like the dish better if the eggs were fried individually instead of in one mass, but as one of the least expensive things on the menu I'm willing to forgive a less technical presentation. Because quail eggs, gently caress yeah.

After the new stuff, we checked out a couple of the returning favorites. Naam Kao Todd, crispy rice with sour sausage and ginger/lime sauce:

I had high hopes for this, an old Lotus favorite that was perfected at Chada Street. Unfortunately it fell short of my expectations. It's still a great dish - spicy, sour, crispy, with big chunks of sour Issan sausage - but for me the clumpy style of rice isn't as good as the individually-crisped grains they managed at Chada.

And finally, Kao Pad Mun Poo, the Crab Fat Fried Rice, crown jewel of Chada Street:

This was copied verbatim from the Chada cookbook, with only the lime garnish distinguishing it from the original. And it's just as loving good. This is a 2000 calorie dish I could eat five of. It's utter perfection, like every grain of rice has been individually steeped in crab, chunks of lump crab meat running through the whole dish.

We also had the Sua Rong Hai, grilled ribeye steak with "North Eastern style dipping sauce." No photo of that. It was a medium-well steak that managed to be edible due to its savory/sweet marinade and the delightful, chile-rich dipping sauce. I liked it, but there are a lot of things I need to try before ordering it again.

To summarize, Lamaii opening is the most exciting food news in Vegas in a long time. Get your asses there and eat it all. To entice you, here's the full soft open menu (Trigger Warning: horrific font and formatting choices):

Hours for soft open are 5pm-10pm, from what I remember. They were about 2/3 full the whole time we were there. My only major complaint is one common to soft opens: service pacing problems. We waited a half hour to order anything besides drinks, and it took them an hour to check on us after we'd finished our first round of food. But that kind of thing happens when staffing isn't complete - I expect service to be much more on point once they're officially open. Don't wait that long, though. They're worth an early visit.

Will. Be. There.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

I've always heard that adding salt to eggs before cooking "denatures the protein" but isn't that what cooking them does anyway?

The Midniter posted:

I feel like salting eggs before should be absolutely fine, since how "tough" they get really depends on how much you cook them. You could salt some scrambled eggs well before and if you cook them Gordon Ramsay-style, I imagine they'd be just as creamy as usual.
Can confirm. Ramsay says in his video not to salt early but I've done both and cannot tell a bit of difference.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

poverty goat posted:

put a splash of shaoxing wine in the eggs :twisted:
For real though if you gotta make eggs scramby throw some fuckin shaoxing in there

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Suspect Bucket posted:

Maybe it's blended in India?

Curry leaf owns. A friend of mine is giving me a mini curry tree in spring when she propagates some cuttings. And she's had hers in a pot happily for the last 10 years. Very excited to not have to buy them for a buck a pack every time I go to Patel Bros or IGO.

Wait. You’re in Edison!? I’m in jersey city!

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

dino. posted:

Wait. You’re in Edison!? I’m in jersey city!

Let's meet up for bhatura and filter coffees at Saravana my dude next time you're in the area

How very Edison to be recognized by my proximity to indian grocery stores

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Feb 6, 2019

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Jersey? Which exit?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Well I just made the best pasta salad I've ever eaten. Mixed some garam masala and mango pickle into the mayo/yoghurt/mustard, added peas and chopped tomato, little bit of salt and honey. It's marvelous.

I also just came to the realization that cold potato masala salad would be amazing.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Pasta/potato/etc. salads are all gross hth.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Mr. Wiggles posted:

:wrong:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Tuna salad, lettuce onion tomato, on a grilled croissant is my favorite lunch

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

Suspect Bucket posted:

Well I just made the best pasta salad I've ever eaten. Mixed some garam masala and mango pickle into the mayo/yoghurt/mustard, added peas and chopped tomato, little bit of salt and honey. It's marvelous.

I also just came to the realization that cold potato masala salad would be amazing.

Sounds like bhel puri.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Mum's secret PS trick has always been a solid five-finger pinch of curry powder. It's delicious.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

The other secret to pasta/potato salad is to not eat them fridge cold. Toss dressing into the warm potatoes/pasta and then serve.

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Weird i used to think you had good opinions on stuff.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Totally Reasonable posted:

Weird i used to think you had good opinions on stuff.

When the hell was that? :v:

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I would also like to know why the simplicity and wonder of baked apples has been kept from me all this time. First time making them. I had these lovely tasteless huge apples I got like a month ago that have just been sitting in the crisper. Baked them on a whim. I've had more difficulty making chocolate pudding with less delicious results.

Bake apples y'all.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Suspect Bucket posted:

Let's meet up for bhatura and filter coffees at Saravana my dude next time you're in the area

How very Edison to be recognized by my proximity to indian grocery stores

I don't drive, mamita. If you're ever near Jersey City, let a bitch know, and I'll treat you to south indian at home. I know from IGO, because my company provided rice for that $10 gift card basmati rice promo to them. I know their suppliers.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

dino. posted:

I don't drive, mamita. If you're ever near Jersey City, let a bitch know, and I'll treat you to south indian at home. I know from IGO, because my company provided rice for that $10 gift card basmati rice promo to them. I know their suppliers.

GUYS DINO JUST INVITED ME TO HIS HOUSE

IS TODAY REAL

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Mr. Wiggles posted:

:mad:

A south german kartoffelsalat wants to have some loving words

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Suspect Bucket posted:

GUYS DINO JUST INVITED ME TO HIS HOUSE

IS TODAY REAL

Ask him to fry you up some Doubles.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Yeah, a good potato salad is great! (I could live without pasta salad). And yes, toss the potatoes while they are still warm to absorb flavour.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I'm with you on pasta salads being poo poo, I've never enjoyed one in my life. Potato salad however can be very good. It has to be made right though and most I've tried suck so it's obviously a very subjective taste thing. You probably just haven't had one that appealed to you but there's so many I'm sure there's the one potato salad out there just for you. Your potato salad soulmate as it were.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Maybe it's the effect of way too many church potlucks and such growing up, idk. But the whole starch+mayonnaise+whatever served cold or room temp just makes me ill. And I've never discovered one that tasted good.

Also, "pasta salad" generally means rotini in Italian salad dressing served wet and weird tasting. I've never met a good one of these either.

I will admit that some Lebanese friends make a tabouli that is out of this world, but it's 90% parsley so it's really just a salad and I like salads.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Best potato salads I've ever had have all been part of the banchan at Korean joints. Not sure what makes them so good.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Pasta salad doesn't have to be mayo, you can use a vinaigrette. The trick is you have to let it sit for an hour or two to absorb the dressing, and then re season it. Oh, and it should have bits of veggies in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Croatoan posted:

I'm with you on pasta salads being poo poo, I've never enjoyed one in my life. Potato salad however can be very good. It has to be made right though and most I've tried suck so it's obviously a very subjective taste thing. You probably just haven't had one that appealed to you but there's so many I'm sure there's the one potato salad out there just for you. Your potato salad soulmate as it were.
I can confirm, I hate 99.9% of that kind of salad, but there is one salad soulmate I am on board with: pesto mini-potato salad with peas