Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Speaking of today's connected authoritatian connected surveillance world, lol imagine buying a Tesla car

Just picture letting one near your home network

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

wolrah posted:

Yeah, anything older than 25 years by model year is fair game, so at this point you can import 1994 models of whatever you want and just drive them freely.

so like, why exactly do we allow this? you can drive an old, unsafe, polluting junker on public roads, but only if it's old ENOUGH. because you see, a 1995 corolla is a piece of poo poo deathtrap, but a 1994 corolla is... ok? like who thinks this is a good idea aside from regular car reviews fans

i know the answer is "boomer wants his 69 chevy" but how do we even pretend to justify this

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

cars older than 25yrs are classified as "classics" and the general assumption is that cars are disposable goods with a 10-15yr service life and if you're going to keep one going for 25 then you're babying it as a collectors item instead of a daily. this is largely true and the number of weird edge cases is no where near large enough to warrant changing the law. I mean sure you could go import a mexico air-cooled beetle if you really wanted to but those cars suck and everyone with a brain is just going to buy a 10yr old civic so let the weirdos have their fun

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

I would import the hell out of a 98 hilux though

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

yeah the unstated assumption about classic cars is that you're not using them as daily drivers (iirc, at least in some states, there's a maximum difference in odometer reports that are allowed between re-registrations), so that even though they predate catalytic converters and get five miles to the gallon they're only occasionally belching unburnt hydrocarbons into the air

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
lol if u don't just sit in the driveway and rev your car instead of going to work. christ.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

President Beep posted:

lol if u don't just sit in the driveway and rev your car instead of going to work. christ.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yjlEeRCrCQ

get some rotation going instead of just revving, come on

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

President Beep posted:

I do dis, but only to practice rev matching and improve my shifting :q:

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

President Beep posted:

"take that, al gore!"

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

President Beep posted:

I had a friend who used to live next door to some guy with an old muscle car and he'd "warm it up" for like 10 minutes every morning [no matter the temperature] by mashing the throttle over and over

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

"take that, al gore!"

i wonder if he's still friendly with joe lieberman

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

qirex posted:

I had a friend who used to live next door to some guy with an old muscle car and he'd "warm it up" for like 10 minutes every morning [no matter the temperature] by mashing the throttle over and over

there is an old handicapped man who likes to take up metered parking spaces near my work, one for his trash-filled van, the other for his corvette c3. he can just leave them there without paying, because he has handicapped plates. i suspect he may be homeless, or at least he has nowhere else to go during the day. mostly he likes to sit in his van and watch birds eat the entire loaves of bread he throws on the street for them. but once in a while he will sit in the c3 and rev its loudass engine until someone tells him to gently caress off. i'm sure that was a nice car in 1970 but here in 2019 it is truly a piece of poo poo

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

eh, owing to the CW of "balancing the ticket", the only recent pair of running mates i could believe had a private friendship was romney/ryan

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

infernal machines posted:

let's not lose sight of the whole "odometer is software writable and resets if the firmware is applied incorrectly" part.

The odometer being software writable was and still is pretty commonplace with many car brands. You just need the right tool (these are cheap and easy to get) to set arbitrary values. This is now changing due to new EU regulation forcing manufacturers to build secure odometers.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

is anyone?

Lambert posted:

The odometer being software writable was and still is pretty commonplace with many car brands. You just need the right tool (these are cheap and easy to get) to set arbitrary values. This is now changing due to new EU regulation forcing manufacturers to build secure odometers.

yeah, although even in the 80s anyone who cared had at least minimal tamper protection in place by just having the values set in two places and indicating a tamper warning if they didn't match.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

source: i used to live in one of them hillbilly state with lax registration requirements, and i used to work with a guy who did a lot of grey market unimog poo poo because he was insane

i was once passed by a go-kart at over 90 mph

the go-kart had valid plates
sounds like arizona. they'd probably let you register a motorized shopping cart if it had brakes and lights.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

infernal machines posted:

yeah, although even in the 80s anyone who cared had at least minimal tamper protection in place by just having the values set in two places and indicating a tamper warning if they didn't match.
My BMW stores the value in the cluster itself and in the body control module AFAIK. If there's a mismatch and one is below 120km the lower one will update to the higher one. If there's a mismatch and both parts have higher numbers it throws the tamper flag and displays the higher one. Blank ones can also be programmed directly to any value.

It also uses an EEPROM with incremental registers, so even if you directly connect a programmer the value can't be reduced.

Of course it's not the hardest thing in the world for someone with sufficient soldering skills to replace the EEPROM altogether, but there's no way to do it from software alone.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Combat Theory posted:

Its the little things in life like this that make me smile.

E:

Air density and all that... still lmao at the tipped over rocket. this is the "wheels come off the rover" moment of Musk rocketery. love it.

Yeah if you do the math the max wind speed ever achieved on Mars wouldn't even push you over

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

President Beep posted:

I was working on my motorcycle in the driveway a few months ago, running the engine to check some numbers, and after like 10 minutes the neighbor came out with a very sour look on her face and told me that I was "gassing her" and I had to stop because she couldn't breathe.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

I was working on my motorcycle in the driveway a few months ago, running the engine to check some numbers, and after like 10 minutes the neighbor came out with a very sour look on her face and told me that I was "gassing her" and I had to stop because she couldn't breathe.

at least she didn't have a problem with you running the bike

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Plank Walker posted:

:drat:

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
i'm just motorzykloning, ma'am.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

Plank Walker posted:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Plank Walker posted:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Plank Walker posted:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Plank Walker posted:

hehe. got em.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

my parents live next to a very nosy paranoid schizophrenic who's convinced my dad is trying to kill her through ~pollution~

her latest claim is that he had some kind of "exhaust blower" blowing toxic fumes that "make my son's autism worse". dad was very confused because he has nothing like that, so he asked what she was talking about and she said "that green box with the fan in it".

dad went over to the "green box with a fan in it" and took a picture to send to her - it was the outdoor AC unit. she did not reply after that :v:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

she's also called the EPA on him before, who came out and inspected his little classic car repair hobby shop he's got set up and said he was doing everything right and that they're used to getting "these kinds" of calls, which i assume the guy said with audible air quotes

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_c6HsiixFS8

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

GWBBQ posted:

and that's how you ended up with people desperately scrambling to hide their R34 Skylines when the news broke that they had all been illegally imported.

That's a little different: Service Member cars tend to get just a glance because SUPPORT OUR TROOPS stuff at the border.

R34s were companies fudging the paperwork at the border and hoping nobody would notice, often hiding them in shipping containers mislabeled as other items that won't get inspected.

Sagebrush posted:

We just moved from our old house, mostly because we needed the space, but also because we had some crazy old couple that would come out and film me anytime I worked on my cars, flip me off, and called the cops regularly on us while trying to cite country regs to us.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Feb 8, 2019

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

DELETE CASCADE posted:

i know the answer is "boomer wants his 69 chevy" but how do we even pretend to justify this

a 69 Chevy isn't an import dumbass

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Chris Knight posted:

how very amerocentric of you

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

My Ford car was made in Mexico and my Honda motorcycle was made in Ohio

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

what about a 420 chevy?

e: i have a feeling that would be a chevette.

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

Chris Knight posted:

but it's also unlikely to pass a smog test unless there are Special Provisions™ made, which at least in CA seems to be the major point of registering an old car as a classic

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Chris Knight posted:

cuba has a thing or two to say about that...
https://www.cnn.com/style/article/cuba-classic-american-cars-legacy/index.html

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
what's context precious

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Chris Knight posted:

what's context precious

A miserable pile of secrets

Arcteryx Anarchist