Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do u love shield hero
Yeah I hate women
I think I may
I doubt it
It's poo poo from an rear end mate
View Results

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xma9SgC1L6w

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I dare the mod to probate for this wierd pedophile video thing.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I challenge the gods themselves

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
goddamn this is a hell of a quarantine zone

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

CharlestonJew posted:

goddamn this is a hell of a quarantine zone

No.

This is.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
They Tried To Make The Anime Better Than The Source Material But Actually Made It Worse Report:

First off, they introduced the Queen in this episode. In the Manga/LN they introduce her much later on when they start getting into the political ramifications of summoning heroes into your country, and it was obvious the author was trying to bolt new ideas onto a story already in progress. Having that character around from an earlier point makes a lot more sense, but they showed her in a foreign castle in a more industrialized country. The audience will naturally assume that she's the Queen over there, which will really confuse things.

They added some not-so-subtle hints that Raphtalia is hot for Naofumi, which he is completely oblivious to. I really wish they wouldn't have done that. Originally, Naofumi just treats his slave girls like they're kids, and even says that he thinks of Raphtalia as his daughter. The anime has already had Raph shift from a daughter figure initially do a mother figure in the previous episode. Just treat her like a kid, please, you've explicitly stated that she has the mind of a child.

They changed the race a bit, having Naofumi barely win. Originally the Spear Hero falls into a hole near the end. I actually thought they would cut the whole race, it's completely pointless.

Finally, the big one, is Filo changing into her human form. Originally they take her back to the slave trader so he can figure out what kind of Filolial she is, and she gets put into a cage. This stresses her out and she transforms, giving us the image of a naked angel girl in a cage calling for her master. The anime has her change form while she and Naofumi are sleeping, so Naofumi can wake up with a naked little girl in his lap. Not actually sure which is worse there.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
Incidentally, Crunchroll is putting together an AMA with a Shield Hero producer this saturday.

https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/ang4t7/announcement_ama_with_shield_hero_producer/

He's purely a business guy, and doesn't actually work on making the show, but he'll probably answer some questions about the business arrangement with Crunchroll.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Raphtalia making herself a slave again sucked. Why the gently caress.

I just want to eat the slave trader eat poo poo someday. Not gonna happen, huh?

theGrooseofLegend
Dec 29, 2013
When it comes to fan reaction to critical analysis, I think part of the problem is that certain themes have become cultural shorthand for evil. Overt racism, empires, slaves and Nazis have been coded by pop culture as symbols of monsterdom. The unintended effect of this coding is that "human" audiences disassociate themselves from whatever is portrayed as "monstrous", ignoring how they might be complicit in the thing being portrayed.

It doesn't really matter if critical analysis is inherently neutral. People will see the conclusion "this show is pro-empire" as "this show is evil" and either disregard the show entirely or feel insulted because "this show (and I) can't possibly be evil."

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Please stop typing up giant posts about shield hero. I am begging you.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Kirby Planet Robobot is more woke than slime to such a degree it borders on comedy.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I love kirby.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Slime: Boring colonial administrator

Kirby: Woke anti-capitalist anti-imperialist that just wants to eat and sleep in peace.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Kirby could absolutely do a beam attack and totally kill slime, its no contest.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Kirby - hero of justice or genocidal cosmic hunger elemental?

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Namtab posted:

Kirby - hero of justice or genocidal cosmic hunger elemental?

hes the hero of the stars, Kirby of the Stars

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Kirby only exerts influence on the world to topple the tyrant and the only external strength he cultivates is his powerful relationships with his many friends.

Without a threat kirby retreats to a pastoral life of peace and does not create violence through the administration or cultivation of a state or a kingdom.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

The kirby puzzle game is NOT canon but is also very funny.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Kirby also uses the tools of the oppressor but discards them when the time of violence is no longer required, eschewing the construction of industry or capital of his own, it is very admirable.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Pewdiepie posted:

Please stop typing up giant posts about shield hero. I am begging you.

Last week’s episode was heavy and emotionally draining but also very satisfying. This week’s episode was like the laugh that you have after crying a lot because your friend tried their best to make you feel better.

We finally met the queen who looks like she’s probably not about to take all of the shenanigans that the king nor princess are doing. The Bow and Sword Hero don’t appear to be here for any of it either and seem to be continuing their slow progression to possibly align with the Shield Hero more so than not.

Naofumi continued displaying his nurturing skills by being imprinted on by a baby filolial, which is a bird like monster that hatched from an egg. The new addition to the party named Filo helped to put Spear Hero back in his place twice.

Woo! That's a lot for just one episode but it was thankfully a nice palette cleanser. Naofumi even smiled a lot?! That was a lot for one episode but felt like a reward for everything we went through last week.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Maxwell Adams posted:

Last week’s episode was heavy and emotionally draining but also very satisfying. This week’s episode was like the laugh that you have after crying a lot because your friend tried their best to make you feel better.

We finally met the queen who looks like she’s probably not about to take all of the shenanigans that the king nor princess are doing. The Bow and Sword Hero don’t appear to be here for any of it either and seem to be continuing their slow progression to possibly align with the Shield Hero more so than not.

Naofumi continued displaying his nurturing skills by being imprinted on by a baby filolial, which is a bird like monster that hatched from an egg. The new addition to the party named Filo helped to put Spear Hero back in his place twice.

Woo! That's a lot for just one episode but it was thankfully a nice palette cleanser. Naofumi even smiled a lot?! That was a lot for one episode but felt like a reward for everything we went through last week.
I'm going to delete you from the internet, and life

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Pop Star is an agrarian backwater in the universe and nobody has the will to change it, Dreamland is a post scarcity society of free peoples whose only authority figure is a ceremonial position and doesnt hold any real power. (Dedede still is cool as heck)

I dont think Dedede's guards even would get paid anything because dreamland doesnt have commercial activity beyond self sufficient farming or gathering by the stars, they just follow him becuase hes a friend.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Its pretty nice.... I wanna live on pop star....

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

My power fantasy is sleeping in the shade under a tree near a lake because the galaxy is at peace.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Namtab posted:

I'm going to delete you from the internet, and life

Death of the author, etc.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

I'm trying to hate watch this just because I have a need to know but each episode somehow makes me more incredulous than the last

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Lurking Haro posted:

Death of the author, etc.

The author in question is some guy who works for Crunchyroll. Because Crunchyroll is funding this thing and actively promoting it. And their audience is eating it up.

As soon as this show and everything around it stops being fascinating, I'll stop posting about it.

Oh look, here's another thing on Crunchyroll:

quote:

The largest Japanese mobile phone operator NTT Docomo has announced the popularity ranking for the 31 TV anime titles that premiered on its streaming service dAnime Store in this winter 2019 season. The online survey was conducted with the dAnime Store users between January 25 and February 1. The number of total votes was 63,688 (male: 43,561/female: 16,843/unknown: 3,284).

Male Top 5
1. "The Rising of The Shield Hero" - 5,030
2. "The Quintessential Quintuplets" - 4,534
3. "KAGUYA-SAMA: LOVE IS WAR" - 4,237
4. "How clumsy you are, Miss Ueno." - 2,793
5. "Wataten!: An Angel Flew Down to Me" - 2,736

Female Top 5
1. "The Morose Mononokean Ⅱ" - 1,780
2. "My Roommate is a Cat" - 1,685
3. "The Rising of The Shield Hero" - 1,523
4. "KAGUYA-SAMA: LOVE IS WAR" - 1,486
5. "The Quintessential Quintuplets" - 1,108

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Maxwell Adams posted:

The author in question is some guy who works for Crunchyroll. Because Crunchyroll is funding this thing and actively promoting it. And their audience is eating it up.

As soon as this show and everything around it stops being fascinating, I'll stop posting about it.

Oh look, here's another thing on Crunchyroll:

I forgive you maxwell

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ninjewtsu posted:

my question about the colonialist reading is: how could the story have been altered to prevent such a reading? is the basic premise of the story intrinsically linked to colonialism, or could the story have been told without the pro-colonialist message?

I think there's going to frequently be colonialist elements to the whole "Japanese person reincarnated in fantasy setting who ends up an extremely powerful figure who everyone loves (because, at their core, these stories are all wish fulfillment/power fantasy vehicles)" genre. Like, the basic premise of these series requires that the protagonist be praised and loved as a positive transformative element by the native inhabitants of the world in question (because that's a major part of the fantasy it's selling).

All this being said, the Slime series is not bad because of colonialism; it's just extremely boring and makes me sort of vicariously embarrassed because it's like a harem anime, only instead of appealing to "a desire to have girls interested in you" it's appealing to "a desire to have others like and respect you." The picture it paints is even more depressing when you realize that most isekai of this nature have adult protagonists. Like it seems like the goal is to sell a fantasy of being powerful and accomplished to actual adults with depressing work/life circumstances.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

If Slime anime does explicitly show that each race has something to contribute and that they're stronger together than apart that would seem to directly contradict a colonialist reading.

There would still be the element of "but this sharing of knowledge was only made possible through the involvement of our civilized protagonist."

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Tir McDohl posted:

I'm trying to hate watch this just because I have a need to know but each episode somehow makes me more incredulous than the last
It's OK not to know everything about a bad piece of media. There will not be a test at the end of the season.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Sharkopath posted:

Kirby only exerts influence on the world to topple the tyrant and the only external strength he cultivates is his powerful relationships with his many friends.

Without a threat kirby retreats to a pastoral life of peace and does not create violence through the administration or cultivation of a state or a kingdom.
But the absolute power vacuum left by Kirby's revolution inevitably results in the land's conquest by a new tyrant! Kirby has traded one cycle for another!

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Elephant Parade posted:

It's OK not to know everything about a bad piece of media. There will not be a test at the end of the season.

You're gonn feel real silly when you meet St Peter and he tells you that to get into heaven you have to give a detailed explanation of why Shield Hero is bad.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Gyges posted:

You're gonn feel real silly when you meet St Peter and he tells you that to get into heaven you have to give a detailed explanation of why Shield Hero is bad.
Better to practice self-care in Hell than self-flagellate in Heaven

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

Pop Star is an agrarian backwater in the universe and nobody has the will to change it, Dreamland is a post scarcity society of free peoples whose only authority figure is a ceremonial position and doesnt hold any real power. (Dedede still is cool as heck)

I dont think Dedede's guards even would get paid anything because dreamland doesnt have commercial activity beyond self sufficient farming or gathering by the stars, they just follow him becuase hes a friend.

pop star is routinely threatened by extradimensional evils and the complacency of its populace will eventually lead to its brutal destruction

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Ur isekai Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court has a lot to say about colonialism but I don't know exactly how much of it was intentional given how Twain's views evolved over his lifetime.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
I'm not sure that "a methodology typically used by colonialists" and "colonialism" are necessarily congruent. Slime Boy isn't making the world safe for the Japanese to roll in and take over. He's just doing what he knows to make things more comfortable for everybody. Giving folks lifehacks from a more technologically advanced society is not (necessarily) cultural genocide.

When he starts killing people who don't convert to the state religion, though, now we're talking.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
All the cool and important otherworlders in Slime are either Japanese or super English. There's enough colonial subtext in the work to raise up any number of backwards peoples.

No one is saying that Rimuru is the embodiment of the East Indian Company, the author has lovingly crafted an ode to colialism, or anything of the like. Rather that when approached from a viewpoint examining colonial views and practices there is a lot of stuff to think about.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

What’s wrong with your brain? Why do these lovely light novel derived properties need to be viewed through a colonialist lens?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Thoughtful, critical discussion is a good time, friend. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Pokemon is kind of hosed up if you think about it... Can I have my honorary doctorate now?