Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

CJacobs posted:

Walter is awesome, it's a shame SH4 gets a bad rap for being the "start of the decline" in a lot of peoples' eyes because it's just as good as 1-3 in my opinion. You can even temporarily stun him by pouring ammo into him like Mr. X iirc, but guns are SO rare in SH4 that you will never ever want to unless you're completely cornered.

edit: I really loved how his origin comes from a single note found in a garbage can in Silent Hill 2. They took that little short story they wrote for that note and were like, "no, let's do something with this". And do something with it they did!

I also love Walter and think the antagonist being the real star of the game was interesting and different. I think time has been kind to SH4 because we got so much poo poo after it. Or maybe it has just been forgotten? Either way the old complaints have died away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Pierson posted:

So besides this and Alien Isolation are there any other games that tick all the boxes of ultra-atmospheric, limited offensive resources to be managed, being pursued by a huge unstoppable force you can temporarily corral but who will always come back to get you?

There’s no resource management as it’s not survival horror and instead is more a story focused thriller but I’d strongly recommend SOMA. It combines hard sci fi with horror/body horror and has one of the most thought provoking plots I’ve ever played in a game.

You cannot hurt enemies at all and there are a number that fit the stalking/pursuing mechanic you’re after.

Anyone familiar with “Terry Akers” probably knows what I mean.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Pierson posted:

So besides this and Alien Isolation are there any other games that tick all the boxes of ultra-atmospheric, limited offensive resources to be managed, being pursued by a huge unstoppable force you can temporarily corral but who will always come back to get you?

Maybe "Outlast 1 and 2"? You can't kill anyone/anything in those games. Trouble is, half the time you can't SEE anything either

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

CJacobs posted:

edit: Also, shooting off his hat allegedly makes him walk faster. I haven't seen any testing but from anecdotal evidence just playing it seems to actually be true lol

That was one of the first things I did to him the first time I saw him and lemme tell ya, him going from "slow walk" to "brisk fast-walk" is terrifying in a way that this sentence probably isn't conveying!

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!

marshmallow creep posted:

Mr X can be a sneaky little poo poo sometimes. I had one encounter with him as Leon where I thought he was upstairs near the helicopter crash while I was downstairs in the first floor east office. I opened the door, my eyes up and on the left thinking he'd be coming down the stairs.

Turns out he was standing just to the right of the door i was walking out of, like he heard me coming and tucked himself next to the fence to hide in my blindspot so he could knock me across the floor.

Lol this happened to me on a run. I was waiting forever for him to piss off from outside the clock tower. When things went silent I ran out the door, straight into his fist which shoved me back into the room.

"You wanna hide in there?! Fine! Stay in there!"

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

When Mr. X isn't aware of you, you can watch him sometimes stand around and rub his head like he's looking for his hat. Kinda sad, actually.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Pretty sure someone in the RE universe created a weak version of the T-virus and sold it as an anti-aging treatment.

That's schlocky enough that I'm surprised it didn't become part of the RE cannon.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Its funny how everyone has a different experience. "Lickers are fine if you have a shotgun"? They take like a million shells with the regular one which is all I have where I am right now. On A I didn't mind because I could walk past them, but that club hallway... I think we also surmised that saving and reloading could make enemies disappear. In my mind, I was far away from X (getting lazy, cant think of any new nicknames) when I made this one save under the statue in the main hall. Reloaded, there he is walking out of the west office at me. I think the tidbit about knocking off his hat=turbo mode is real, though I observed him once like he almost wanted to run at me, but he would only make a step and go back to normal speed, kinda like the transmission in the old Plymouth my parents had.

Right now I have lots of healing items, but still not enough ammo, and I'm not really skipping as much as I should to get the times down where I want them to be. It really feels like a battle having to die and reload so often when I have precious few hours in the evening to do anything. Long weekend coming up though, thank gently caress for compressed work schedule.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

SettingSun posted:

When Mr. X isn't aware of you, you can watch him sometimes stand around and rub his head like he's looking for his hat. Kinda sad, actually.

Moreso when you know that apparently all Tyrants are clones of one person and retain a trace of a vanishingly small remnant of their former humanity

Like he sort of instinctually knows a hat is a thing you put on your head, but why? What made hat? What is hat? Why is hat?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
For the record, you can shoot lickers out of the air. My strategy is to back up a bit so that they go for the leaping swipe instead of the one where they run along the ground at you. If you shoot one in the air (with anything I think?) it'll knock them out of the attack and you can blast away after they sail past you.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

SOMA is an incredible game though it is in no way 'survival horror' as it is just 'horror' and especially 'existential horror'. Nowadays that game has an option to turn off the AI on enemy characters but IMO that loving sucks and ruins the actual horror and dread part of the game, as well as taking all tension out of the gameplay.

Anyway for the possible people that are playing this as one of their first RE games, I'd like to throw in a couple of recommendations and bullshit opinions on the RE series!
-REmake 1 is a fantastic game that has everything people liked about Resident Evil in the 90's while still being pretty padded and fairly bullshit on your first playthrough. Very cheesy and still actually scary. Pretty much replaces RE1 OG.
-RE2 original is still a great game, and unlike RE1, the new version is SO different that the original is still worth playing through if you can suffer the fixed camera angles and tank controls.
-RE4 is a great action game all around with ridiculously stupid writing and pacing that keeps up nearly all the way through. Also kinda survival horror, but considerably less so than the actual old-school games (including RE2Make)
-RE5 is my all time favourite Co-op game. Amazingly stereotypical B-movie writing and great cutscene direction and cheesiness, with mostly intact RE4 gameplay (as in good as hell). Don't play the first playthrough on single player tho cause handling your AI partner can be a pain, the playthroughs afterwards are fine though because you can get infinite ammo weapons and other overpowered stuff to give to your braindead buddy.
-RE:Revelations 2 is the most self-aware game in the series and pokes fun at all the stupid poo poo that has happened so far as well as the things that happen in the game itself. With fan favourite protagonists and a bunch of general fan service it's all around a pretty good ride, yet the gameplay stumbles with not being able to decide if it's action or horror resulting in being great at neither. Also has asymmetric co-op, with one player being a supporting character for the one that shoots things.
-RE6 is a game with an incredibly deep and well-made core gameplay, yet does everything else very, very badly. A divisive one and I don't know who to recommend it to, but I kind of love it? The mercenaries mode is some of the most fun you can ever have with video games!
-RE7 is very old school in its survival horror aspects and has fantastically goofy writing, but kind of shits itself in the last third sadly. Still very much worth playing for survival horror fans and hell, apparently the VR is incredible if you can do that.

As for the stuff I don't recommend so much:
-RE3: Nemesis: most people don't necessarily agree, but I think this one is super forgettable. Nemesis is incredible as an enemy character, but I kind of think Mr.X in the RE2Make does a better job at the same thing. Still, might be worth playing for the parts where the titular Nemesis breaks the gameplay rules you know and scares the poo poo out of you. Other than that nothing about it is really remarkable and was very much the final swan song of The Old RE games.
-RE:CV is, to me, also very forgettable. The villains are funny as hell and it reintroduces Wesker as some kind of an anime character that does Matrix poo poo all over, but yeah it had nothing to really stand out above RE1 or 2. Or even 3 honestly.
-Revelations 1 was kiiiiind of cool when it felt like it had been forever since RE was last remotely scary, but, this one kind of isn't either despite the attempt. The enemies are boring to fight and the storyline reaches too far for the series, almost being too ridiculous (yeah imagine that) for what the timeline had presented so far. Does have very self aware writing with some really funny character moments. Also a great bonus mode in the Raid mode, it's almost more worth playing than the main game for me.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

By the way has anyone else here shat their selves when you see baldy patrolling the main hall from the third floor, and then his entire upper body turns to stare straight at you as he starts power walking towards your location

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Old Grasshopper posted:

Resident evil has never really been about realism though has it? Umbrella make viruses to wage war. In real life, we just make actual bombs. It's cheaper and pretty effective.

Umbrella actually doesn't. There were a couple of attempts at an "extended universe" in the late nineties that confused the issue, but the T-Virus itself was never intended as a weapon. Instead, it's bioengineering glue; you can use it to make entirely new, hard-to-kill forms of life, and those are the weapons.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Soma is the only game that gave me a feeling of true existential dread, some of the setpieces are just awful mentally.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!

s.i.r.e. posted:

That's schlocky enough that I'm surprised it didn't become part of the RE cannon.

I vaguely remember seeing a teaser trailer for the second RE film that floated this idea, complete with a haggard looking woman getting younger, then zombified.

Anyway yeah essential RE playing: REMake, RE2, RE4, RE7, REMake 2

If you liked the above and want safe recommendations: RE1 and then DC BUT NOT DUAL SHOCK EDITION. Get the DS port if you can find it. RE3, RE5.

If you're still not sated and want more while willing to overlook (sometimes gaping) flaws: CV:X, RE0, Dead Aim, Outbreak 1 & 2, RE6, Revelations 1 & 2 (2 is better).

If your looking for a fun RE romp with buddies: RE5, Umbrella and to a lesser extent Darkside Chronicles.

Avoid like the T-Virus: Operation Raccoon City, Umbrella Corps, Gun Survivor.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Soma is the only game that gave me a feeling of true existential dread, some of the setpieces are just awful mentally.

The ending is one of the most harrowing I’ve ever seen [MAJOR SPOILERS DONT LOOK IF YOU INTEND TO PLAY SOMA]you’re a bunch of computer parts jammed into a dead body with the memories of a man who died a century ago, in a dead facility at the bottom of the ocean on a dead planet, and in a fit of justifiable anger you lost the only companion you ever had, and you’re now all alone. Forever.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Lord Ludikrous posted:

The ending is one of the most harrowing I’ve ever seen [MAJOR SPOILERS DONT LOOK IF YOU INTEND TO PLAY SOMA]you’re a bunch of computer parts jammed into a dead body with the memories of a man who died a century ago, in a dead facility at the bottom of the ocean on a dead planet, and in a fit of justifiable anger you lost the only companion you ever had, and you’re now all alone. Forever.

Good thing I'm not

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

DeadButDelicious posted:

I vaguely remember seeing a teaser trailer for the second RE film that floated this idea, complete with a haggard looking woman getting younger, then zombified.

Anyway yeah essential RE playing: REMake, RE2, RE4, RE7, REMake 2

If you liked the above and want safe recommendations: RE1 and then DC BUT NOT DUAL SHOCK EDITION. Get the DS port if you can find it. RE3, RE5.

If you're still not sated and want more while willing to overlook (sometimes gaping) flaws: CV:X, RE0, Dead Aim, Outbreak 1 & 2, RE6, Revelations 1 & 2 (2 is better).

If your looking for a fun RE romp with buddies: RE5, Umbrella and to a lesser extent Darkside Chronicles.

Avoid like the T-Virus: Operation Raccoon City, Umbrella Corps, Gun Survivor.

As I recall, Dr. Ashford in Apocalypse made the T-Virus to cure his daughter of some disease. Then everybody elsr became zombies, presumably for the same reason game T-Virus makes everything non-mammalian huge. (nobody gives a gently caress about science)

Dr. Video Games 0135
May 20, 2003

That's gonna be a zoinks from me, Scoob

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Sounds cool but I fuckin hate combat-less "hide in a closet" horror games. Sounds like a perfect one to watch an LP for

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Pierson posted:

I just played Prey a few weeks ago and it hits some of those boxes, might be worth a look if you haven't played it already (It's Real Good).

DEAD GAY FORUM
Dec 18, 2018

the good posts were inside you all along

I'm one tenth of one percent gayer for having seen this.

And I like it.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Jerkin the Birkin

Edit: I'd waltz his Matilda

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Dr. Video Games 0135 posted:

Sounds cool but I fuckin hate combat-less "hide in a closet" horror games. Sounds like a perfect one to watch an LP for

There's actually a walking-simulator mode that was added post-release. The hostile entities in the game won't attack you so you can take in the story and surroundings at your leisure. The developers took notice of how popular it is as an LP game and wanted players to see the game for themselves without worrying about the monster/closet aspect which they know was the least popular part of it. It's much better than it sounds.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009

Pierson posted:

Maybe not a singular huge unstoppable force, but I think the original Siren for PS2 is pretty close, it should be available on PSN for PS4.

Siren Blood Curse is ... slightly more gung-ho, although it's a re-make (re-imagining?) of the original.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

There's actually a walking-simulator mode that was added post-release. The hostile entities in the game won't attack you so you can take in the story and surroundings at your leisure. The developers took notice of how popular it is as an LP game and wanted players to see the game for themselves without worrying about the monster/closet aspect which they know was the least popular part of it. It's much better than it sounds.

More games ought to do that. I really like that mode in the first Left 4 Dead where all the zombies act like you're invisible and you can roam around the environments.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

DeadButDelicious posted:

Yeah, that's what I originally based the idea off, though the idea of it actually being true in the games came from Ada in RE6 who basically doesn't have the slightest wrinkle on her face. It would probably be the most realistic zombie apocalypse trigger though, with an anti-aging cream that creates a dormant T-virus infection that triggers during periods of extreme stress.

e: A weak G-virus for gene therapy plastic surgery.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
Am I missing something in the library? I have looked every where and it wont turn green on my map. I picked up the herb, the red book and did the puzzle.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

RE6 partly sucked because Sherry didn't have devastating power like Jake did, she should have been Wesker-tier as a survivor of direct-relation G-embryo implantation, give her some goddamn monstrous gameplay effects besides 'lol I regenerate' in cutscenes

Yaramund
Jul 22, 2015

The face of a killer
in a ghostly design

willie_dee posted:

Am I missing something in the library? I have looked every where and it wont turn green on my map. I picked up the herb, the red book and did the puzzle.

There's some ammo right in the corner behind one of shelves you move, it's covered in shadow so hard to see.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

willie_dee posted:

There's a knife on the floor near a corpse.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I like the Resident Evils I've played so far because there is a degree of mechanical complexity: inventory-management, exploration, scavenging, backtracking, puzzle-solving, neutralizing threats etc. In other words there's actual gameplay and you have a degree of agency. I got three levels into a Machine for Pigs before dropping it as it, like many so-called horror-games, was just linear succession of corridors with no real hook outside of some adorable pigman who shouts "Boo'. Layers of Fear was lame as balls because it tried to spook you over and over again with nothing else up its sleeve. A horror-game doesn't have to be scary every minute (because Resident Evil sure isn't) but it should invite engagement and participation from the player.

Outlast II is supposed to be shite from what the internet-reviewers have told me.

I feel there's potential for a horror-game aimed at a younger audience that doesn't compromise. Take a complex map like the RPD, make the player-character a kid, replace the zombies with ghosts or walking shadows, rip-off the plot of a Silent-Hill game, remove the gore and cussing but keep the adult themes, and substitute guns with an old timey-camera that dispels foes (I have not played Fatal Frame).

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Feb 7, 2019

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Haunting Ground is an awesome, scary game (by Capcom!) where you are being hunted by the mentally deficient brick shithouse manservant of a warlock who lives in a giant castle. You and your cool dog friend attempt to escape while he chases you relentlessly. Later on the game introduces another antagonist who is even more dangerous and scary!

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Black August posted:

RE6 partly sucked because Sherry didn't have devastating power like Jake did, she should have been Wesker-tier as a survivor of direct-relation G-embryo implantation, give her some goddamn monstrous gameplay effects besides 'lol I regenerate' in cutscenes

I wonder how much it would suck to develop a healing factor at the age of 12. You'd have a hard time gaining muscle, I'd imagine. Or else it'd be way too easy.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Yeah, that's what I originally based the idea off, though the idea of it actually being true in the games came from Ada in RE6 who basically doesn't have the slightest wrinkle on her face.

She's only in her late thirties, Asian, and clearly knows how to moisturize. If you're going to point to anything as proof of genetic tinkering, it's how she can pull off a four-story superhero landing in heels without instantly snapping both ankles.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Lord Ludikrous posted:

There’s no resource management as it’s not survival horror and instead is more a story focused thriller but I’d strongly recommend SOMA. It combines hard sci fi with horror/body horror and has one of the most thought provoking plots I’ve ever played in a game.

You cannot hurt enemies at all and there are a number that fit the stalking/pursuing mechanic you’re after.

Anyone familiar with “Terry Akers” probably knows what I mean.

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

SOMA is a fantastic game and well worth a look, but Jesus the subject matter can be some heavy poo poo. It's enough to give you an existential crisis if you dwell on it too much.

Wanderer posted:

I wonder how much it would suck to develop a healing factor at the age of 12. You'd have a hard time gaining muscle, I'd imagine. Or else it'd be way too easy.
At least Sherry didn't end up with the same "healing" power as her old man. Graze a knee like any normal kid and suddenly you've got eyes where there were no eye before.

ZogrimAteMyHamster fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Feb 7, 2019

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

RoyalScion posted:

Maybe not a singular huge unstoppable force, but I think the original Siren for PS2 is pretty close, it should be available on PSN for PS4.

Siren Blood Curse is ... slightly more gung-ho, although it's a re-make (re-imagining?) of the original.

Siren is the best horror game ever and one of my all time favorite video game experiences but I also can not recommend it to people really. its a extremely off putting game. the ps4 version trophy percentages are really funny, 77% of people owners finished the 2 minute long intro/tutorial level, and then the people who finish "Chapter 1" drops to about 3%. Lol.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Anyway what's the deal with G3's animations/damage susceptibility. I'm on pace to finish a S+ Claire run clean, I've only used my 2nd save and it's right in front of G3. I'm trying to save all my sparkshot ammo for G4, so what's the best strat for exploding this guy. Do fire rounds do continuous damage? Is it worth shooting his exposed eye with grenade shells?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

CJacobs posted:

Haunting Ground is an awesome, scary game (by Capcom!) where you are being hunted by the mentally deficient brick shithouse manservant of a warlock who lives in a giant castle. You and your cool dog friend attempt to escape while he chases you relentlessly. Later on the game introduces another antagonist who is even more dangerous and scary!

Debilitas’ only crime is that he gives too much love.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

In Training posted:

Anyway what's the deal with G3's animations/damage susceptibility. I'm on pace to finish a S+ Claire run clean, I've only used my 2nd save and it's right in front of G3. I'm trying to save all my sparkshot ammo for G4, so what's the best strat for exploding this guy. Do fire rounds do continuous damage? Is it worth shooting his exposed eye with grenade shells?

Why save anything for G4. You get a minigun.

Actually the sparkshot is pretty good against G3. Pop eyes with the handgun or SMG then sparkshot the core.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Kibayasu posted:

Debilitas’ only crime is that he gives too much love.

He is like one minor sidestep away from Lennie from Of Mice and Men.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

SettingSun posted:

Why save anything for G4. You get a minigun.

Actually the sparkshot is pretty good against G3. Pop eyes with the handgun or SMG then sparkshot the core.

The minigun is not enough to kill G4 on hardcore, unless I've been missing a lot of shots.